Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vorik posted:

Are there any other supernatural/horror/mythological creatures comics out there like Hellboy/BPRD?

Fatale, American Vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Most Mignolaverse titles (Baltimore, Abe Sapien, Witchfinder)

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Nipponophile posted:

You might look at Ex Machina. While it does deal with super powers, the main thrust of the series is that the protagonist feels he isn't accomplishing anything substantial by flying around in a costume, and instead runs for mayor of New York City circa 2001.

Also, Transmetropolitan is about a gonzo journalist in a cyberpunk future, and has plenty of political and social commentary.

e: Also, also: Saga. Read Saga. It should be exactly what you're looking for.

Saga is not hard scifi at all, it's total fantasy. I've yet to see any hard scifi in comics, manga has some stuff but I can't read comics without color.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I read Immortal Iron Fist and that book convinced me the heroes for hire crew (Danny Rand, Luke Cage, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, etc.) make for one of my favorite dynamics in comics. What are some other good books with these guys? I've got this on my radar already, and I know there are a couple of scattered mini-series like Daughters of the Dragon, but is any of it any good?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

I read Immortal Iron Fist and that book convinced me the heroes for hire crew (Danny Rand, Luke Cage, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, etc.) make for one of my favorite dynamics in comics. What are some other good books with these guys? I've got this on my radar already, and I know there are a couple of scattered mini-series like Daughters of the Dragon, but is any of it any good?

There is an Immortal Weapons TPB, collecting the miniseries of stories about the champions of the other Seven Cities you met in Immortal Iron Fist (Fat Cobra, etc.). Most of it is really good.

Luke is a founding member in Brian Michael Bendis' New Avengers series that ran from 2004-2010, starting with the "Breakout" TPB. He's great -- very much the conscience of the team throughout the series. Danny joins later, around Volume 6 (after the events of Civil War). They also make some appearances in Bendis and Ed Brubaker's back-to-back Daredevil runs, but I wouldn't call either of them main characters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

Daughters was good, but it's way more straight up kung-fu exploitation film than the Brubaker/Fraction stuff.

The minis with the new Power Man were pretty solid, as he has an interesting relationship with Danny and Luke. (He sort of grudgingly lets Danny mentor him and he thinks Luke is a phony because of being an Avenger and marrying a white chick)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 28, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
What else out there is like hellblazer and swamp thing? Moody anti heroes and the world is all shades of grey.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cyphoderus posted:

John Ostrander of Suicide Squad fame wrote a ~20 issue run of Heroes for Hire starting Luke and Danny in the late 90s that is really really good. Of course it hasn't been collected, but maybe it's on digital?, I honestly have no idea.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Washout posted:

What else out there is like hellblazer and swamp thing? Moody anti heroes and the world is all shades of grey.

Go to Amazon and type "Warren Ellis". Also maybe "Garth Ennis".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zachack posted:

Yeah, came to post the former. Hope you like guys in trenchcoats.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zachack posted:

Also maybe "Garth Ennis".

Garth Ennis' writing is so odd to me sometimes, because he keeps creating these situations that are very grey, but has moral absolutist characters making pronouncements about them, and then prevail.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Zachack posted:

They both wrote for hellblazer and swamp thing too, I guess I just tapped out my favorite authors already. I've read basically everything by ellis, ennis, and moore. You gave me an idea to look at my favorite series and find some alternate authors though!

Maybe I'll hunt down more stuff by Delano, he did the first part of hellblazer and I'm not sure I read much of his stuff beyond that.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 30, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you ain't been following the new comics, Constantine features in a great couple of issues near the start of Charles Soule's ST run.
Here's the trade http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401246397?keywords=swamp%20thing%20seeder&qid=1448841545&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

e: There's a two-for-one sale at Comixology tomorrow where you could just pick up those two issues, #22 and 23.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 30, 2015

SMP
May 5, 2009

There's a sweet BOGO DC sale going on at comixology right now. Should I pick up Ostrander's Suicide Squad or Moore's Swamp Thing?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

There's a sweet BOGO DC sale going on at comixology right now. Should I pick up Ostrander's Suicide Squad or Moore's Swamp Thing?

Both!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
How is the Sinestro series? What is the hook? Is his daughter a major part of it? Is Lemire's Frankenstein any good?

SMP
May 5, 2009

:negative: i was hoping someone would dissuade me from that

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

:negative: i was hoping someone would dissuade me from that

Well, they're both fantastic. You can't go wrong either way. I would strongly suggest you read the Legends miniseries before Squad, though, and Secret Origins #14 after that for the full Squad narrative--it bridges the creation of the SS during Legends and the beginning of the ongoing. All of it is written by Ostrander, too.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 30, 2015

SMP
May 5, 2009

redbackground posted:

Well, they're both fantastic. You can't go wrong either way. I would strongly suggest you read the Legends miniseries before Squad, though, and Secret Origins #14 after that for the full Squad narrative--it bridges the creation of the SS during Legends and the beginning of the ongoing. All of it is written by Ostrander, too.

Thanks. I'll probably go with Ostrander's stuff since there's a greater chance Swamp Thing will go on sale again in a few months with an Alan Moore sale.

e: I don't see Legends (or the Doom Patrol/SS special) on Comixology :/

e2: Nevermind, found Legends. Comixology's search is terrible.

SMP fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 30, 2015

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So I just read through She-Hulk, the 2004 one, and really enjoyed it. I especially liked Hercules, he seems hilarious and really over the top. Does he have any good runs on MU? I'd prefer something kinda light hearted and crazy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

READ THE INCREDIBLE HERCULES. It's exactly what you're looking for.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Never heard of Private Eye by Vaughan, thinking about picking up the deluxe edition. Any good? Is it a complete run or still on going?

Also wondering about the I, Zombie omnibus by Roberson. Learned to love the art from X-Statix, the omnibus any good? Apparently it's also a TV show, but I've never heard of it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can try a chapter, or the whole of Private Eye for whatever you want to pay (including nothing) in digital form http://panelsyndicate.com/
It is over, but their new series, Barrier just started on the same platform.

I like what I've read of iZombie. It's very different to the TV show.
In the comic she's hanging around with ghosts and werewolves, but on TV it's more of a humorous detective-procedural type thing with regular folks (other than her (from the two episodes I've seen anyway.) )

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 4, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The best thing about the iZombie comic is Allred's beautiful art.

The best thing about the iZombie TV show is EVERYTHING. With all seriousness, it's one of the best new shows of 2015. If you have Netflix, I highly recommend binge-watching Season 1, and trying to catch up with Season 2 if you can.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I really enjoyed Gotham Central and the first volume of Powers (I'll probably pick the rest up at some point), are there any other books about regular people dealing with all the bullshit caused by super-antics?

I have read The Boys which kind of fit this to a degree but after that and Punisher MAX I'm completely burnt out on Garth Ennis' penchant for 'wacky' ultra-violence and writing endlessly about the loving IRA, so no more Ennis if possible.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I really enjoyed Gotham Central and the first volume of Powers (I'll probably pick the rest up at some point), are there any other books about regular people dealing with all the bullshit caused by super-antics?

I have read The Boys which kind of fit this to a degree but after that and Punisher MAX I'm completely burnt out on Garth Ennis' penchant for 'wacky' ultra-violence and writing endlessly about the loving IRA, so no more Ennis if possible.

Damage Control seems like the somewhat obvious answer although I haven't read it so it may be bad.

The "regular people" part makes it tough because I kinda want to recommend Top 10, Marshal Law, Irredeemable, Incorruptible, and maybe Incognito. I feel there's something obvious I'm forgetting so hopefully someone else will have better suggestions.

Marvels has a somewhat similar perspective although very different point, and parts of Astro City would meet this.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 6, 2015

mcnimitz04
Mar 7, 2010
H

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Zachack posted:

Damage Control seems like the somewhat obvious answer although I haven't read it so it may be bad.

The "regular people" part makes it tough because I kinda want to recommend Top 10, Marshal Law, Irredeemable, Incorruptible, and maybe Incognito. I feel there's something obvious I'm forgetting so hopefully someone else will have better suggestions.

Marvels has a somewhat similar perspective although very different point, and parts of Astro City would meet this.

Thanks, I'll look into some of these

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I've been reading Morrisons JLA run in trades they've been putting out and I'm wondering if it's worth picking those up past the 4th one. The fourth trade has what I understand to be the final group of Morrison's issues and Tower of Babel.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I've been reading Morrisons JLA run in trades they've been putting out and I'm wondering if it's worth picking those up past the 4th one. The fourth trade has what I understand to be the final group of Morrison's issues and Tower of Babel.
Personally, I think JLA is worth reading all the way up through Joe Kelly's run (so, stopping after JLA #90). Skip to #100, then continue on to Justice League Elite which is awesome in every way.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 7, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Looks like the current run of trades go up to #93 so far so I'll just keep picking those up. Thanks!
Another question too actually, i started reading an infinity gauntlet omni I picked up a few months ago and I have really enjoyed it up until the event actually ends. There is still a good portion of the book left, is there anything worth reading in there past Infinity Gauntlet #6? I did really enjoy the issues of silver surfer and thanos quest leading up to the event.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 6, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I loved Joe Kelly and Doug Mahnke's JLA run (including What's So Funny About Truth.../JLA100/JLElite)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 7, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Recommend me some good books about comics history and industry.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Kirby King of Comics

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

On the more modern, impersonal end, Todd Allen'sThe Economics of Digital Comics is a great, concise read that gets to the heart of how dollars are distributed to retailers, publishers, and creatives, unwittingly serving as a great guide to how the industry works (or doesn't, as the case may be).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Men of Tomorrow

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the famous one about the birth of the Comics Code?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Seduction of the Innocent is what spurred it. That might be a fun read in it's self.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

zoux posted:

The Comic Book History of Comics doesn't go too deep into any topic, but it covers a lot of ground in history and industry. It's also funny and looks great.

e: perhaps more importantly, it covers things outside of American and superhero comics.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Marvel, The Untold Story.