Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Are Buddhists gonna be less painful to play? I always wanted to do a Southeast Asia game.

I am playing an expansionist Ayutthaya right now and that karma discipline penalty is just awful. I'm gonna stop expanding as soon as I get the cheevo because I really need it to go away, I am losing every evenly matched combat. It's supposed to be reversed polarity in 1.14 so that conquerors will get -2 dip rep and peaceniks will get -10% discipline instead, which sort of makes sense I guess.

It is kind of cool being like 10th in production income, but having double the trade income of anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

StashAugustine posted:

Are Buddhists gonna be less painful to play? I always wanted to do a Southeast Asia game.

Yeah, Buddhism looks way better now that you don't take a discipline penalty for blobbing. Ceylon achievement here I come.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
"- Trebizond leader list is no longer made up of the Trabzonspor footballteam."

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Aww, Hansa was like my favourite start. Oh well, it always was pretty loving ahistorical that a league founded to fight pirates would up and say "Hey gently caress it, let's become Germany".

EDIT: It would be cool if the Hansa remains as a formable tag, in the event that you do go for a Hansa run as Lubeck.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 30, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey does anyone know if there's an option to have both the Guns Drums and Steel songs and the songs they replace in the game's playlist?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
- Forming Scandinavia and Germany now requires ADM tech 20.

Should perhaps slow down the Scandinavian monster.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Hey does anyone know if there's an option to have both the Guns Drums and Steel songs and the songs they replace in the game's playlist?

yeah, I bought all the soundtracks and now my music selection is weirdly limited.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Are you holding onto a province the war leader wants? Because they'll sit around waiting for you to turn it over or peace out.

This was probably it, they ended the war as soon as I peaced out (taking a bit of Lithuania with me to boot). Hopefully the new diplo system will help deal with this crap in the future.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 30, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lots of really really great features so far in the list. Really expands the diplo game.

Also

quote:

Force Migration: Added a new casus belli that lets you force a migratory neighbor to move to another province.

So they added an ethnic cleansing CB :lol:

Really I'm not one of those guys who want extensive war crimes models in my Paradox games (well besides rail penalties for Germans in HOI...oh wanted more troop transport....shouldn't have wasted it on death trains)...it just struck me as...wait that is a straight up war crime.

I know different time and world...just caught my eye.

But really the patch notes are just full of so much cool stuff.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I don't think that's ethnic cleansing, I think it's for those native American tribes that move provinces every so often.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wait, so you didn't think cultural conversion was ethnic cleansing?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
they posted the new unit renders:

I was kinda surprised they didn't do Oirat or Mongolia, but I guess those are pretty natural choices for when they do some East Asian packs later.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
"You can now sign a peace that would result in going down to -999 DIP, this to prevent situations where you're unable to make a suitable peace (which has higher priority than other DIP expenses)."

This is a big deal, not too long ago I had to occupy a country for years with war exhaustion going into the stratosphere because I was integrating a union at the time.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hCCCRAcTAA

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colonial Air Force posted:

I don't think that's ethnic cleansing, I think it's for those native American tribes that move provinces every so often.

That's true, I was thinking more akin to forced relocations of the 1990s in the Former Yugoslavia.

DStecks posted:

Wait, so you didn't think cultural conversion was ethnic cleansing?
Fair point. I think I should have been using the term forced relocation which, for some reason, I thought fell under ethnic cleansing. Also forced migration just stood out more.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

quote:

# Ideas
- Will now pick idea groups dynamically instead of always using historical groups. Historical groups are weighted more highly when picking.

So does that mean countries are no longer guaranteed to pick aristocratic or religious ideas and so on? I can't wait for the first person to flip out because his fed vassal decides to never convert his lands and then poisons his cores. :haw:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, Buddhism looks way better now that you don't take a discipline penalty for blobbing. Ceylon achievement here I come.

From the patch notes, karma in general is supposed to be more intuitive. Also, releasing nations is free for Buddhists, so you can always play Team Ayutthaya World Police and gain a ton of karma by breaking down your opponents into bite-sized pieces.

Also, I'm so glad about this change because we were just complaining about it and this new requirement seems much better. I assume it still requires you to punch Delhi until its Doab falls out, but that shouldn't be too bad with new glorious horde mechanics.
- Forming Mughals no longer require to be reformed, but instead it requires 500 development and then reforms you

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

gfanikf posted:

Fair point. I think I should have been using the term forced relocation which, for some reason, I thought fell under ethnic cleansing.

It does, but my point was that there's been ethnic cleansing in the game at least since EU3.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Discipline is too important for you not to play Dai Viet: gently caress Cambodia.

Diplo rep you can fix with an idea set, discipline can decide wars.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DStecks posted:

It does, but my point was that there's been ethnic cleansing in the game at least since EU3.
You're right, I guess cultural conversion can sound rather benign (and in theory can be a peaceful process), so it doesn't stick out to me. Same with religious conversion. I mean it really shouldn't since they add revolt risks when converting for a reason.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Forced relocation is a heck of a lot nicer than just annexing them. v:shobon:v

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

western cavalry seems like the most pointless sprite pack ever

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
And for sprite packs, that's saying something.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There are also new advisor packs, right? Any news of more music?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Steppe advisers and that Sabaton music thing I think. Plus probably another standard music pack. Also unit packs own you haters, I'll never understand people that don't zoom in on the map.

anyway there's gonna be a leaderboard for ironman singleplayer games starting tomorrow. I hope there are gonna be some filters for it for like country and time played and dev games and poo poo or else it'll just be the top 1000 france and ottoman games every month, but still kind of a neat addition.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Fuligin posted:

There are also new advisor packs, right? Any news of more music?

There's supposed to be a Sabaton music pack for fans of Swedish metal.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Koramei posted:

Steppe advisers and that Sabaton music thing I think. Plus probably another standard music pack. Also unit packs own you haters, I'll never understand people that don't zoom in on the map.

anyway there's gonna be a leaderboard for ironman singleplayer games starting tomorrow. I hope there are gonna be some filters for it for like country and time played and dev games and poo poo or else it'll just be the top 1000 france and ottoman games every month, but still kind of a neat addition.

i have every sprite pack so far but cavalry models for the tech group that has the lowest cavalry threshold seem sort of weird

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Indian cavalry should always be an elephant regardless of tech level. Just put a bigger gun on top of it and a meaner sword in its trunk. Or a flail.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Was there ever an explanation as to why natives can't build boats? I'm kind of disappointed that's still in there.

e: Here's an interesting summary of some of the patch notes.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 30, 2015

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Just picked this game up in the weekend after finally growing a bit tired of Civ 5. Have never played a paradox game before so it's quite a learning curve, the OP convinced me to jump in and so I have. Played through most of the tutorials and jumped into a proper game as Castille, restarted a few times and am now chugging along as the Ottomans. Got some statements/questions that It would be great to get some feedback on. I've got the Art of war and common sense dlc only. Sorry, this will be wordy but it's a complicated game as you know (and I'm only scratching the surface!).

As Castille I really struggled to take Aragon due to alliances. Unlike the other games I've played (Civ 5, TW) alliances seem super easy to come by and countries are super loyal and helpful. Unfortunately Aragon always seems to instantly ally with Portugal and several other local powers. I tried building up my rep with Portugal, being allied with them and multiple marriages. They still immediately joined against me if I declared war on Aragon. On my last try I managed to get around this by going to war with Aragon while Portugal and I were fighting Morocco so they couldn't declare on me. England however sure did, sending multiple large stacks down to ruin me. Is this how things are meant to work? Do I need to just wait longer and alliances come and go?

I switched over to the Ottomans, which was somewhat intimidating as apparently most of Europe immediately hates you and the middle east isn't that fond either. However avoiding fighting any European factions has allowed me to swiftly taking Constantinople, crush/vassal several countries to the East and get a pretty significant empire going. Still have the alliance problem but I have allies of my own and a large army so have crushed everyone so far. I'm still running into a few issues:

- There's a peasent rebellion in Constantinople that's been going on most of the game, I've used the 'harsh treatment' multiple times to stop it from exploding and hired a +happiness advisor which has slowed it down. Is there a way to get rid of it completely?

- I feel like I'm not doing a lot when I'm not at war. I've depleted most of my manpower and I think been a bit too aggressive as now half of Europe has entered some kind of military compact against me (though thankfully not declared war?). I'm trying to chill everyone out a bit by being peaceful for some time. Technology seems to come incredibly slowly, currently I can build castles and markets. I built a market in constantinople and that's it as I don't know if I'll get ROI anywhere else. Do I just need to chill and crank the speed up a bit? I normally only have it on 2 bars as I feel like I can't respond to things quickly enough when it's much faster.

- I noticed there are 3 different starting options for the initial period, do they change anything or just suggest different countries? The amount of countries to choose from is absolutely staggering.

In other words I have no idea what I'm doing but am enjoying it greatly.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The general way things work is that an ally will join on the side of the defender if two of their allies go to war. That said, an ally cannot be both on your side in one war, and against you in another. So declare war on someone tiny and get Portugal in on that, then declare war on Aragon and they won't help Aragon against you.

HOWEVER, Castille very often gets an event that gives them Aragon as a vassal, so don't attack Aragon until something like 1600 (which is after the timeframe where the event fires).

You generally shouldn't need to use harsh treatment to deal with rebels. Raise autonomy in the affected provinces (though how Constantinople is rebelling when you're the Ottomans I've no idea) and crush the rebels when they pop up. If your stability is tanking, you need to get that poo poo up to 0 ASAP.

Yeah, sitting still with the speed turned up for a bit is often worthwhile. Let your manpower recover and the "aggressive expansion" negative diplomatic modifier dissipate for a while every so often. It's not so important as the Ottomans because they're mega-huge and powerful, but it's essential if you start playing a lesser power, especially in Europe and double-especially if you're in the Holy Roman Empire.

The starting options just indicate different starting years - you can always play as anyone. I pretty much always start in the earliest start, but if you want to play as the Netherlands or someone like that who only shows up later you could do a lot worse than picking a timeframe in which they exist.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

jpparker55 posted:

Is this how things are meant to work? Do I need to just wait longer and alliances come and go?

Mutual allies will always join against you if you declare war, since you're the aggressor. A way around that is to declare war on a third party that is allied to the person you want to attack, but not to your other ally. Note that with Castille you don't really have to attack Aragon, because in most games the Iberian Wedding event will fire that will give Castille a free personal union over Aragon

- There's a peasent rebellion in Constantinople that's been going on most of the game, I've used the 'harsh treatment' multiple times to stop it from exploding and hired a +happiness advisor which has slowed it down. Is there a way to get rid of it completely?
Don't use harsh treatment, that is usually a waste of Military points. Putting troops there (up to 20) can lower unrest, as well as multiple policies,ideas, and events. Also, if you hover over the unrest number on the province, it likely says "separatism" which ticks down each year. Think of it as the local populace growing to accept your rule.

- I feel like I'm not doing a lot when I'm not at war. I've depleted most of my manpower and I think been a bit too aggressive as now half of Europe has entered some kind of military compact against me (though thankfully not declared war?). I'm trying to chill everyone out a bit by being peaceful for some time. Technology seems to come incredibly slowly, currently I can build castles and markets. I built a market in constantinople and that's it as I don't know if I'll get ROI anywhere else. Do I just need to chill and crank the speed up a bit? I normally only have it on 2 bars as I feel like I can't respond to things quickly enough when it's much faster.

Most of the time I play on speed 3 during war and speed 4 or 5 at other times. You can always pause it at any time so don't worry. One thing to note about Aggressive Expansion is that it mostly applies to countries nearby your target, who are the same religion, or are allied to them. So if Europe hates you, take that chance to expand into Arabia or the Steppes to your north.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
If your manpower is really low, you're probably not using mercenaries for your sieges. If you can afford it (and you're the Ottomans, so you definitely can) you should always try to stick mercs on siege duty. Not only does it stop your manpower from depleting but losing men to attrition increases your war exhaustion, which in turn makes your manpower replenish slower.

If you're referring to the fact there's four 1444 start dates, its just significant countries in Europe/Asia/Africa/the Americas.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Don't use mercenary cav or artillery though. They take little damage in fights usually so you want the brunt of your infantry to be mercenaries so that your manpower doesn't get tanked.

As long as you can afford it, that is.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

jpparker55 posted:

Just picked this game up in the weekend after finally growing a bit tired of Civ 5. Have never played a paradox game before so it's quite a learning curve, the OP convinced me to jump in and so I have. Played through most of the tutorials and jumped into a proper game as Castille, restarted a few times and am now chugging along as the Ottomans. Got some statements/questions that It would be great to get some feedback on. I've got the Art of war and common sense dlc only. Sorry, this will be wordy but it's a complicated game as you know (and I'm only scratching the surface!).

As Castille I really struggled to take Aragon due to alliances. Unlike the other games I've played (Civ 5, TW) alliances seem super easy to come by and countries are super loyal and helpful. Unfortunately Aragon always seems to instantly ally with Portugal and several other local powers. I tried building up my rep with Portugal, being allied with them and multiple marriages. They still immediately joined against me if I declared war on Aragon. On my last try I managed to get around this by going to war with Aragon while Portugal and I were fighting Morocco so they couldn't declare on me. England however sure did, sending multiple large stacks down to ruin me. Is this how things are meant to work? Do I need to just wait longer and alliances come and go?

I switched over to the Ottomans, which was somewhat intimidating as apparently most of Europe immediately hates you and the middle east isn't that fond either. However avoiding fighting any European factions has allowed me to swiftly taking Constantinople, crush/vassal several countries to the East and get a pretty significant empire going. Still have the alliance problem but I have allies of my own and a large army so have crushed everyone so far. I'm still running into a few issues:

- I noticed there are 3 different starting options for the initial period, do they change anything or just suggest different countries? The amount of countries to choose from is absolutely staggering.

Alliances come and go, and often you can wait until your enemies' allies are in debt or engaged in other wars so they won't be willing to join against you (if your ally is also your enemy 's ally, as said just drag them into another war with you before declaring on your real objective).

Rebels are annoying but if they revolt and you crush them, they won't rebel again for a good while, and you can take steps to reduce unrest like ideas, policies, culture /religious conversion, increasing stability or just waiting some decades for separatism and autonomy to tick down.

Overexpanding can gently caress you hard, both with overextension (when you gain land and don't have it cored yet) and aggressive expansion building up so people of similar religion and culture will coalition against you. Take things slow.

Related, in the beginning it takes forever to advance in tech but later on with more land, ideas and policies you will go much faster, don't worry. Also the more you are behind the curve, the less tech costs so it can be advantageous to be behind sometimes (not in military though). Buildings are nice but not necessary and unless you have gold burning a hole in your pocket you can wait on them, besides you will unlock better buildings later on so you can leave slots empty for future expansion, don't feel obligated to fill all your slots right away.

Speed is up to personal taste, I use 2/3 when at war and 4 when at peace usually.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

jpparker55 posted:

You made a good choice with the Ottoman as a country to learn from playing. They have very good events, start strong and have good enough national ideas to bounce back from the brink of death and roll everyone over. They are far and away the most powerful nation at the start of the game, with amazing potential to keep growing. Like others, I will address your thoughts with my own in turn.

1) When picking a nation to play as, I would recommend quickly looking to see if they have a page on the EUIV wiki. All major nations and almost all minor nations have one. That will help you avoid any mistakes like aggressively trying to take Aragon when you could just inherit them naturally via historical event. If a nation has unique decisions or events, then you can guarantee someone out there has written a 2000 word essay about how it all works as well as strategy guides if you need them. You don't need to read all of the pages for every nation, but as a beginner who hasn't seen how a game might unfold, it can be useful to take a quick cursory glance over the major events and decisions of a nation before you pick them up and start them. The Ottomans, for example, has a whole range of events and paths it can go down, which might be useful for you to look into to plan your nation ahead of time.

2) Alliances in this game tend to favour the defender if two rival nations are both allied to each other. In Iberia, you will find that those alliances can persist all game sometimes because land does not change hands much down there as they primarily focus on colonialism, which can be a barrier to expanding militarily. You can get around this hurdle a few ways, I'll mention 2 which always work. One might be to attack someone else that your target nation is allied to (but do not make them a co-belligerent), dragging them to war with you while keeping your mutual ally out. This will allow you to fight your preferred target and take land (at increased cost) while retaining any mutual alliance you might want to keep around. The second strategy is far dirtier, but also requires you to be capable of balancing two potentially large scale wars. An independent nation cannot be an ally in a war at the same time as being against their ally. So, you could just declare a random war which gets your mutual ally on your side, and then declare on your main target. Because you and your mutual ally are already co-operating in a war together, your enemy cannot call them in against you. However, you will need to stretch the first war on until you are safely over 25% warscore in the main war (try and get a total victory if possible) before signing peace in the first war because your ally can get called in against you once they are no longer on your side in a war.

3) Peasants in Constantinople? I have no idea why you would be getting rebels on your capital from standard play, so I am going to guess that since you are a new player, you are probably swimming in overextension and war exhaustion. Try and keep war exhaustion down whenever possible, as it will raise revolt risk across your entire nation, and never go over 100% overextension because that is just a bad time. Stop paying the rebels down and park as much of your army on Constantinople as you can without taking attrition. Peasant rebels are the weakest kind and have next to no battle morale, so you should be capable of taking them on outnumbered 2:1 as the Ottomans. Once they get squashed you will get a recent revolt modifier in that province of -10 unrest (-100 as of tomorrow), which should stop any revolt in that region for a while.

4) The feeling of not doing a lot outside of war is normal when you first play EUIV because you have not yet figured out all of the things you should be doing. Outside of war, be sure to be fabricating as many claims as you think you will need over the next few decades, work on coring land and maintain diplomatic relations whilst looking for opportunities to improve your position. EUIV is a game made of opportunism, and you should sieze any great chance you can to take advantage of a situation. Watch your neighbours for major rebellions, watch their allies for major rebellions. Build boats and consolidate your trade over the nodes you operate in as much as you can. If you still feel like things are going too slow, then do not be afraid to speed things up. This is probably due to having some 350 hours by now, but I pretty much never play slower than speed 4, and pause frequently. Don't fear turning up the speed to get things moving along.

The Ottomans are in a good position on the map because they can probably be at war throughout the entire game without pissing anyone off too much and without suffering too much. If you feel like you are not getting lots done in peacetime, then you should probably take advantage of this and wage near constant war. This is because the Ottomans hold a large swathe of land which borders many different cultures that are not amazingly bothered when someone hundreds of miles away from them gets eaten by the green monster. If you feel like you are not getting much done in peace, then maybe consider taking advantage of that distance between borders to continue expanding at all opportunities. An example of what I mean: Austria will not care in the slightest if you took land off Qara Qoyunlu, nor would Tunis care if you took Serbia. You can basically juggle the direction you expand in at all times as the Ottomans due to the wide, but thin spread of aggressive expansion you get from going in multiple directions. The only time it would really be an issue for you is once you border the HRE and try to expand into it.

5) Don't bother with any of the other start dates. I have never known anyone to actually use them, and most of the focus goes on the grand campaign, which is the earliest date possible, 'Rise of the Ottomans'. I am not even sure if the other start dates get accounted for when balance changes are made.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Do we know what the price point for Cossacks is going to be? The expansions have been either 10, 15, or 20, so not sure where this one falls on that scale.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The only civilized and rational way to play this game is at MAXIMUM SPEED at ALL TIMES, pausing to interact with the game or UI in anyway.

This is Truth.

This is Light.

This is the Path.

quote:

- Countries with incomes less than 10 ducats will no longer get level 2 advisors (except by event) and countries with incomes less than 50 ducats will no longer get level 3 advisors (except by event).

- Colonial Ideas now start with -10% development cost instead of -0.1 inflation.

- It is now possible to use historical country names in random/default setup (ie 'Corsica' instead of 'New Corsica').

- Added Options for showing colored wastelands, regional naming and floating montly tax income text.

Nice.

I hope if you disable floating tax income it also disables the clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... sound effect.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
It's 20.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iv-cossacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Actually, that is a good point, the Cossacks comes out tomorrow. EU newbie, maybe don't get attached to your current run because your save will be broken tomorrow morning.

• Locked thread