Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Nail Rat posted:

You've been friend zoned, sorry

Ultra realistic, game of the year 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zephyrine posted:

Never mind that the baby is an item rather than an NPC. Even less than an item. Most items have uses or the option to interact with them. The baby has no uses and interacting with it is mandatory to advance the game.
Are you saying babies should be able to be scrapped for parts at work benches?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NecroMonster posted:

a limitless double barrel will outdamage any non-legendary combat shotgun. hell, it's got a faster rate of fire than even an automatic shotgun, it's just not "automatic"

Well I meant the per-shot damage is higher, making it more ammo efficient. I didn't come to think that the double's fire rate is so high though, so that's a good point.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Is there a way to hotkey an outfit composed of various pieces of armor?
You can hotkey a tuxedo, for example, but wearing it removes all your armor, so is there a way to link a set together and be able to tie that to a key so you can pop back and forth between them easily?

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

blue squares posted:

Jesus Christ, just use your loving imagination.

Some of the recent "Why am I supposed to care about my family? Sympathy for babies DOES NOT COMPUTE MY IMMERSION IS RUINED" is some of the most :qqsay: poo poo I've seen in a long time. Tell yourself your character understands that Shaun could have been kidnapped 100 years ago and is dead of old age by now. Your character is gay, but was pressured into a conventional marriage by pre-War society, and is now free to be who they want to be. Your character was forced into retirement from the military and sees the Minutemen as a way to return to the gun-toting rear end-kicking way of life they miss so much. Whenever some truly terrible dialogue choices pop up, pick the least terrible option just for the sake of moving forward and forget about it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

The followers will not automatically equip weapons or armor from the inventory, not reliably at least. Press T to equip whatever you need them to use. If you need them to use a ranged weapon, make sure to give them ammo as well.

I've noticed that they will switch weapons on their own if they run out of ammo for their current weapon and have a second one with ammo in their inventory - they seem to favour this over switching to their infinite ammo default weapon so avoid giving them weapons you don't want them using (like explosives without the "companion can't damage me" perk), because even if you don't give them the ammo, they may loot some in the wild. They also seem to prefer ranged weapons to melee even if you specifically tell order them to equip a melee weapon (they will still use a melee weapon you told them to use over their default ranged weapon, though).

quote:

I have Piper the Alien blaster and she used all 400 ammo in like 2 skirmishes. What an rear end in a top hat. A high powered single shot weapon, like a snippet rifle, will make that ammo go a long way.

Yeah slower is better with companions - they will eat up a thousand minigun rounds in maybe two fights, but a double barrel shotgun will last ages.

quote:

Also, make boxes next to your crafting stations and sort your materials and items. Dumping everything into a work bench is loving stupid. I've over 100k crafting materials in the bench at level 55, that poo poo adds up quick. Wish there was a reliable way to get aluminium tho

This is something a lot of people didn't know about the previous fallout games but you can do it in fo4 as well - if you click on the title at the top of an inventory list you can filter it by type.

Also for aluminum, pick up surgical trays. They're light, have 3 aluminum each, and you tend to find them in big piles.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Re: role playing, I had my Vault Lady become meaner and more jaded (as jaded as the dialogue choices allowed) over time, eventually adding scars and changing from a housewife haircut to something more menacing each time I'm in Diamond City for a long length of time. Seems fitting, and it's fun.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Re: role playing, I had my Vault Lady become meaner and more jaded (as jaded as the dialogue choices allowed) over time, eventually adding scars and changing from a housewife haircut to something more menacing each time I'm in Diamond City for a long length of time. Seems fitting, and it's fun.

One really nice touch I like is that in the various flashbacks to the opening vault sequence, the game remembers what you looked like when you started. So it's a real contrast to see my old ginger 1950's housewife when I'm now running around with neck tattoos and eye smudges and a bleached white raider haircut.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Where does Paladin Danse like to hang out? I'd like to add him for the quest Duty of dishonor but he's not anywhere on the Prydwen. I don't think I sent him to any other settlement either.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Does the building creation system seem to be a bit difficult to use? Maybe because of the terrible camera angles? It seems to me to be far more difficult than it should be to get pieces to snap together when the building gets complex.

Does anyone else have an issue where your controller is wonky when you exit a workstation? I think it might be because I play mainly in first person and using workstations or dialogue events forces you into third person - then when you exit the workstation, you're back in third person but facing a different direction than the controller seems to indicate. Toggling third person on then off seems to fix it, but it is goddamn annoying. I never had this problem in Skyrim.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Fallout Tactics is cannon-ish, the airship captain guy talks about the BOS having simpler airships long ago, but they all got destroyed.

Which is cute because Tactics was my first Fallout game and I have many great memories playing multiplayer with my friends.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Azazell0 posted:

Where does Paladin Danse like to hang out? I'd like to add him for the quest Duty of dishonor but he's not anywhere on the Prydwen. I don't think I sent him to any other settlement either.

who knows but assuming you are on PC

player.moveto 00027683

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Fallout Tactics is cannon-ish, the airship captain guy talks about the BOS having simpler airships long ago, but they all got destroyed.

Which is cute because Tactics was my first Fallout game and I have many great memories playing multiplayer with my friends.

I think the only "officially" non-canon game is Brotherhood of Steel. Of course the fans all have their own versions of what they consider to be "true" Fallout games, including the really hardcore ones who think that even Fallout 2 doesn't count because it made the series too silly.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The thing you're forgetting is that in skyrim, morrowind et al, you can decide what kind if person your character is and what they're good it. It's immersion breaking to be a retarded lawyer who hits gigantic beasts with baseball bats until they explode because no matter what you're always gonna be a lwayer, a mother, a wife and that limits the role playing options severely. This is magnified by the fact that everyone cries about how harsh the wasteland is...err no it isn't I just ran across it with a pistol after being frozen for 200 years even though I'm literally a white collar worker who up until being thawed thought that nappies were the scariest thing in earth.

Here's the thing though: This is not Elder Scrolls.

In Fallout you always had more established characters, a Vault Dweller or a Tribal, and you are always given reason to travel around to do the main quest bit.

In Elder Scrolls the most restrictive one was Morrowind since it required you to have unknown birth and parentage otherwise the main restriction is that you are in prison.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

Lot of people who never played FO1 itt.

Excuse me old games are perfect and everything new is terrible. How dare you imply I misremember the flawless masterpiece of Fallout.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Entropic posted:

They give you one cloth and one leather.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bholder posted:

In Fallout you always had more established characters, a Vault Dweller or a Tribal, and you are always given reason to travel around to do the main quest bit.

In Elder Scrolls the most restrictive one was Morrowind since it required you to have unknown birth and parentage otherwise the main restriction is that you are in prison.

Being voiced is the biggest restriction on characterization in Fallout 4. I get the "just ignore it" part but like everyone has already pointed out that isn't doing Bethesda any favors with their grand plot that whistles in the wind something fierce.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Eonwe posted:

who knows but assuming you are on PC

player.moveto 00027683

Thanks for the tip - but Danse's ID is actually 0005de4d. He was at the airport, just on the other side of the wall I was standing by...

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Cheshire Cat posted:

including the really hardcore ones who think that even Fallout 2 doesn't count because it made the series too silly.

That is the developers of that game though. They made a lot of wacky characters because sprites were absurdly difficult to add to that game and they ended up reusing every single available sprite as characters in the game just because that was all they had. So you get talking plants and talking mole rats and talking deathclaws and computers that talk and rocks and cows that talk and the devs have all said that was just wackyness for fallout 2 and none of that would go forward into other games. There is virtually no sprite that exists in that game that isn't a character at some point.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Azazell0 posted:

Thanks for the tip - but Danse's ID is actually 0005de4d. He was at the airport, just on the other side of the wall I was standing by...

ah weird, I pulled that from a wiki that I've found to be pretty reliable so far

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

ah weird, I pulled that from a wiki that I've found to be pretty reliable so far

oh :downs: I grabbed the wrong ID off the page

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Are there mods like SkyUI or what ever for this? I'm enjoying the game immensely but the inventory is terrible.. I have to scroll down to see what gun uses what ammo and poo poo like that in a big list. The pip boy flavour isn't worth the tedium imo.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

If you pick the wife, they should throw in some cheesy lawyer one liners as you kill guys in VATS.

"Case...DISMISSED!" etc

Agreed. Also screaming OBJECTION! Or CASE CLOSED MOTHAFUCKA!!

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

flashman posted:

Are there mods like SkyUI or what ever for this? I'm enjoying the game immensely but the inventory is terrible.. I have to scroll down to see what gun uses what ammo and poo poo like that in a big list. The pip boy flavour isn't worth the tedium imo.

ned geck plz.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/388/ This is the best we can do Im afraid

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

flashman posted:

Probably not before early next year when they release the construction kit.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
While you wait for GECK, why don't you try one of these eye retexture packs? Or download a save game with a beautiful female face? v:shobon:v

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I mentioned before but a big part of the reason I didn't give much of a poo poo about finding Shaun was how heavily telegraphed the main twist was in the intro imo:

They show the defrosting process, Kellogg comes in and caps your spouse and takes your baby, then there's a big show of you being frozen and defrosted a second time. When you can actually leave the cryo tube you discover all the other suburban families you went into the Vault with are dead in their cryotubes due to power failure.

Shaun could have been taken any time between yesterday and 200 years ago, and when you're following his trail to Diamond City you don't get any hints that the abduction was recent. Codsworth could drop a line about seeing Kellogg's crew seems like just the other day! or something.

That made it pretty hard to take the main plot hook/motivation seriously.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Bholder posted:

In Arena you are a Noble with a minor position in the Imperial Court. In Daggerfall you are a Noble living in the Imperial Province and close personal friend with the Emperor, which is why he chose you for the mission. While I agree with your greater point on Fallout vs. TES, Morrowind is leaps and bounds less restrictive that the previous two entries in terms of player choice for background.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Entropic posted:

Leather, oil and bone :kheldragar:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I mentioned before but a big part of the reason I didn't give much of a poo poo about finding Shaun was how heavily telegraphed the main twist was in the intro imo:

They show the defrosting process, Kellogg comes in and caps your spouse and takes your baby, then there's a big show of you being frozen and defrosted a second time. When you can actually leave the cryo tube you discover all the other suburban families you went into the Vault with are dead in their cryotubes due to power failure.

Shaun could have been taken any time between yesterday and 200 years ago, and when you're following his trail to Diamond City you don't get any hints that the abduction was recent. Codsworth could drop a line about seeing Kellogg's crew seems like just the other day! or something.

That made it pretty hard to take the main plot hook/motivation seriously.

Which is why you see 10 year old Shaun with Kellog, or at least what you think is 10 year old Shaun, during the memory extraction bit, which is still pretty early in the game.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I honestly feel like there has been ten thousand games where dudes can fight and use guns for no apparent reason and it comes off as weird that the two complaints about this game in this thread are that both backstory is bad and there shouldn't choose backstory for us but also that the game absolutely needs to provide a detailed in depth backstory of why a woman can use guns or fight things.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

i am tim! posted:

In Arena you are a Noble with a minor position in the Imperial Court. In Daggerfall you are a Noble living in the Imperial Province and close personal friend with the Emperor, which is why he chose you for the mission. While I agree with your greater point on Fallout vs. TES, Morrowind is leaps and bounds less restrictive that the previous two entries in terms of player choice for background.

In Arena aren't you even specifically the captain of the imperial guard?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

double nine posted:

Is there any serious penalty to just ignoring settlement quests? I really don't want to bother with these farms.

Nope

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I honestly feel like there has been ten thousand games where dudes can fight and use guns for no apparent reason and it comes off as weird that the two complaints about this game in this thread are that both backstory is bad and there shouldn't choose backstory for us but also that the game absolutely needs to provide a detailed in depth backstory of why a woman can use guns or fight things.

I was hoping that the twist would be that YOU are a synth, either a super advanced pre-war model or one made by the Institute and given false memories like Nick. Shaun either doesn't exist / never existed, or is just a never-aging infant synth MacGuffin.

The reason I thought of this is because of a warning sign in the elevator in Vault 111. If I wasn't on my phone I'd post a pic, but it says things like "Kindly remain calm and follow orders from Vault-Tec personnel", and it made me think of BioShock. This would also explain why you know how to use power armor, make buildings out of scrap metal, strip down weapons without a second thought, go for weeks without eating of sleeping... It's all programmed into you. :tinfoil:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That would have been an actually good twist.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Zephyrine posted:

Leather, oil and bone :kheldragar:

Physics enabled bouncing boneless babies for the junk jet please modders make it happen

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

KakerMix posted:

Being voiced is the biggest restriction on characterization in Fallout 4. I get the "just ignore it" part but like everyone has already pointed out that isn't doing Bethesda any favors with their grand plot that whistles in the wind something fierce.

It's not any more restrictive than the pre-written dialog, which is a staple in most RPG with dialog. Only restriction is that you cannot imagine your character with the voice of Morgan Freeman or something.

I would also mention the random comments your character makes without any prompt sometimes, but Fallout 2 does that too, so...

i am tim! posted:

Actually, in Daggerfall you can generate a backstory based on your starting class, but you can actually just re-write it completely if you want, since in the story itself it doesn't change anything other than some minor reputation changes. Only restriction is that you are BFFs to the Emperor or at least you are indebted to him in some way.
Arena is stupid though, and most of the backstory is from the manual, but even then there are multiple contrasting elements about it. But ultimately it doesn't matter since the game itself never mentions it.

Meanwhile your birth being matched to the Prophecy is kinda important for the plot of Morrowind.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So I'm getting slaughtered by low level monsters outside Diamond City as I roam. It's becoming increasingly clear that my old tactic of VATS constantly is not working out in this newer setting. Any tips on armor, weapon, and skill combinations for a low level trying to get by until the real power kicks in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Geostomp posted:

So I'm getting slaughtered by low level monsters outside Diamond City as I roam. It's becoming increasingly clear that my old tactic of VATS constantly is not working out in this newer setting. Any tips on armor, weapon, and skill combinations for a low level trying to get by until the real power kicks in?

Literally anything?

• Locked thread