Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A Man With A Plan posted:

This is true. There was a plant that was known in greek/roman antiquity to be an abortifacient, and they loved that poo poo so much they harvested it to extinction.

E: one country loved it so much they put it on their money. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silphium

Well it makes sense. In a time when starvation was a very real possibility having another mouth to feed meant it was that much more likely that someone or everyone wouldn't have enough to eat that year, so controlling when a pregnancy comes to term would be an enormous blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

I need a good source on finance/banking/economics in the revolutionary and napoleonic era. One on Jackson would probably be good as well

A Nation of Counterfeiters is a fun read on banking from the revolution through the Civil War.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

What are people's thoughts on The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson? I know the man himself is a blood-gargling rich-fellating imperialist asshat who hasn't been right about anything relating be to economics, domestic policy, or foreign policy since at least 2000. But is the book good as a descriptive text and explainer? Or is it too embedded in his ideology?

I've never read The Ascent of Money but I just want to pause and highlight this. No offense Fried Chicken, but this is a perfect example of a major problem in our political culture. An intellectual is revealed to be not just wrong, but mendacious, not once or twice but habitually, and the default response isn't shunning or even EXTREME skepticism, it's slight concern. Again, sorry for singling you out, but this is a cultural problem we have in American politics. It's the same BS with the Bush National Security team - they were wrong about approximately everything, but still respected.

It's one thing where someone is wrong and publicly reevaluates, it's another where they're wrong and double down with dishonesty.

Fried Chicken posted:

Debt: The First 5000 Years

There's been a lot of criticism of Debt, mostly focused around the modern chapter, which contains gems like "Apple Computers is a famous example: it was founded by (mostly Republican) computer engineers who broke from IBM in Silicon Valley in the 1980s, forming little democratic circles of twenty to forty people with their laptops in each other’s garages." To me, the million dollar question is - "if he's hosed up the modern chapter so badly, can we still trust his harder-to-verify stuff in his earlier chapters?"

icantfindaname posted:

if they can't find a way to give Rubio the nom it'll go to Cruz. Trump isn't getting it no matter what. and if Cruz runs vs Hillary he'll get stomped in a 64 or 72 or 84 style landslide. if Cruz gets it i don't think there will be any room to run 3rd party for Trump. if, however, they manage by some miracle to get Rubio's numbers up enough to give it to him there's a decent chance Trump will go third party, especially depending on how shady the nomination is. so of 3 possible scenarios, Hillary vs Rubio vs Trump, Hillary vs Cruz, and Hillary vs Rubio, 2 of 3 are catastrophic failures for the Republicans that will provide historic levels of entertainment

Trump's decision to go third party or not won't be based on whether or not he can plot out a path to victory, it'll be based on how slighted he feels (how shady the nomination is). I can see a world where Cruz wins the nomination and Trump doesn't go third party, but it would be because Cruz has been sucking up to him.

(Emphasis added, in both of the above quotes)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ted Cruz was asked a question about education by a 6th grader at a campaign stop in Iowa today. His reply was a rant about Department of Education executive orders that let boys and girls shower together.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Going Postal is well worth the read but you really have to force yourself to read through the slave rebellion section. It makes sense when you read the whole thing but I distinctly remember thinking "hahaha bullshit" at first.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To me Ted Cruz is the current candidate for people that don't want Trump especially now that the stink isn't coming off Jeb. Once people see what a melty faced creep he is I think he will fall in the polls similar to how Walker did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ted Cruz was asked a question about education by a 6th grader at a campaign stop in Iowa today. His reply was a rant about Department of Education executive orders that let boys and girls shower together.

Scaring kids with infowars nightmares is a hobby for him.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Luigi Thirty posted:

The sixth grader then explained to the Republican candidate that isn't how transgender people work.*

*poo poo I wish would happen

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Swan Oat posted:

Going Postal is well worth the read but you really have to force yourself to read through the slave rebellion section. It makes sense when you read the whole thing but I distinctly remember thinking "hahaha bullshit" at first.

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett or a different Going Postal? Because if it's the former, hell yes everyone should read it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Radish posted:

To me Ted Cruz is the current candidate for people that don't want Trump especially now that the stink isn't coming off Jeb. Once people see what a melty faced creep he is I think he will fall in the polls similar to how Walker did.

He would, but I'm pretty sure Trump does Cruz's job better than Cruz. Cruz will probably only rise noticeably if Trump somehow collapses

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cheese eats mouse posted:

It's great fun hearing the backlash to your decision to not want children. I'm going on 28 and apparently some baby alarm clock is supposed to be going off, but really I'm wanting to stay away from something that so heavily ties down my independence. Some women couldn't be so lucky as me. You saw this when childhood abandonment was made legal in Arkansas (I think), but kids of all ages from different states were getting dropped off until the law was restricted to under 1 year and in state only. Something like 10% of kids are not wanted at all with 30% unplanned. So 40% of kids are unwanted/unplanned. Studies have found parents of unwanted kids harbored resentment, which can have damaging psychological affects.

I always loved the "Why would you want a cake from a bakery that hates you?" argument whenever a bakery refuses to make a cake for a gay wedding because those same people are MORE than happy to force someone who doesn't want a child to have one

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

That Forbes article just makes me more upset than anything.

"Oh, you're upper-middle class
, ergo you're not allowed to empathize with the working poor. :smug:"

It's not worth the digital ink on the virtual page it's printed on.

Edited for brevity.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Confessions of an Economic Hitman is a good introduction to economic imperialism as it is practiced, but there's some pretty eye-rolly spy novel bits, particularly toward the beginning.

also

Who What Now posted:

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett or a different Going Postal? Because if it's the former, hell yes everyone should read it.

Hell yes to Pratchett's Going Postal, but he's referring to Mark Ames' Going Postal, which is about mass shootings in America in the 90's.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Confessions of an Economic Hitman is a good introduction to economic imperialism as it is practiced, but there's some pretty eye-rolly spy novel bits, particularly toward the beginning.

It''s all just hook in the beginning, because unlike D&D the material may be considered a bit dry. Good book A+

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Alkydere posted:

He would, but I'm pretty sure Trump does Cruz's job better than Cruz. Cruz will probably only rise noticeably if Trump somehow collapses

Isn't that just Ted Cruz in a nutshell, people doing what he wants to do better? Just look at him compared to Huckabee at the Kim Davis Rally.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

https://vine.co/v/iB672iddPJp

rscott posted:

Kicking Away the Ladder, Bad Samaritans and 21 things I didn't know about capitalism, all by Ha-Joon Chang are three good books that analyze and debunk the myth that free trade economics is what powered the assent of every industrialized/advanced economy during the industrial revolution through to the economies of South Korea and Singapore

Reminds me that I need to pick up a People's History of the U.S. again; I got a few chapters in months back and found it to be quite the interesting take compared to the sort of glorified view of American history.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I definitely am talking about Mark Ames, haha.

Has anyone read Mark Lofgren's The Party Is Over? I quite liked his essay Goodbye To All That about the state of the GOP. It's a few years old if you haven't read it, but then again not much has changed in four years. Gotten worse in some ways.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Who What Now posted:

Well it makes sense. In a time when starvation was a very real possibility having another mouth to feed meant it was that much more likely that someone or everyone wouldn't have enough to eat that year, so controlling when a pregnancy comes to term would be an enormous blessing.

Everything you just said, except it's still true 2000 years later.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fried Chicken posted:

What are people's thoughts on The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson? I know the man himself is a blood-gargling rich-fellating imperialist asshat who hasn't been right about anything relating be to economics, domestic policy, or foreign policy since at least 2000. But is the book good as a descriptive text and explainer? Or is it too embedded in his ideology?

I'm assembling a reading list for a friend and trying to decide if I should put this on it. Kind of "baby's first modern leftist syllabus", though given his background I can cut all the higher minded political theory and ethical philosophy (he studied it in school) and stuff on the women's/gay rights movement (given his background it would be like trying to teach Einstein physics; he's well past anything I could suggest)

Thought so far, in reading order:

Money/Finance
Debt: The First 5000 Years
Money: The Unauthorized Biography
I need a good source on finance/banking/economics in the revolutionary and napoleonic era. One on Jackson would probably be good as well
The Half Has Never Been Told
I need a source on the primary role of monetary policy in finance/banking and American political discourse between the end of the civil war and the Progressive era
The Deluge: The Great Was, America and the Remaking of the Global Order
Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World
The Wages of Destruction
again, if there is a good one or two for the financial warfare against the soviets, fights over monetary policy/bretton woods, financial deals for the rebuilding of Europe and the spread of the Anglo-Saxon legal/banking system it would be great
Confessions of an Economic Hitman
Liar's Poker
is there a bigger book for the finance/banking/deregulation of the 80s? LP is very tightly focused
Griftopia
The Big Short
Treasury Wars
A Game as Old as Empire

Idea with this is backgrounders (Debt, Money, possibly Ferguson's) then walk through chronologically to see the big picture about finance/banking/monetary policy as a structural force acting on national policy and development. Though the last 40 years are much more tightly focused, largely because it is so recent so there isn't the long time to see all the fallout and all the disclosures about what is really happening. I also tried to focus more on concrete events and less on the big picture abstractions (eg talk about how the mortgage interest deduction is regressive and increases inequality, not what inequality is and how it is increasing and how it is bad)

I have half lists for others as well but I don't want to type them up on my phone, but topics are basically foreign policy, war, intelligence services, the federal bureaucracy, federal vs states (this one isn't fleshed out at all, basically just Forner's Reconstruction), police, immigration and assimilation, the government's dealings with minorities, and a general "black history" category drawing from reconstruction to the myriad of ways they got screwed over the years and how that led to the current alignment where it dips back in to the finance and police reading lists

Oooh boy.

Here's what I've read/heard good things about recently. Most (all) of this is MENA stuff though since that's the region I specialize in. Others on this list are recommendations from other goons in the Middle East thread that I've taken and reposted here.

Military/tactics:

Arabs at War by Kenneth M. Pollack. It perfectly encapsulates the failures of the armed forces of the Arabic world from Libya to Iraq and beyond. The primary conclusion from the book seems to stem primarily from the lack of initiative among junior officers, and the lack of NCO's.

Moving onto Iran, there's a shitton of philosophical analysis exploring the revolution and its underpinnings. I'm not super big on Foucalt or Fanon so much of the subtleties are lost on me, but these are some, occasionally theory heavy, recommendations:

Iran:

All the Shah's Men by Stephen Kinzer is a great read on the '53 coup. Not terribly academic but it is well supported, and draws direct links between '53 and '79. Not remotely theory heavy and it's where I'd start.

Foucault and the Iranian Revolution by Afary. It's very readable and surprisingly comprehensive. Best of all, it includes a number of newspaper articles on the revolution originally published in French and Italian, some written by Foucault, others written in response to him.

-The Revolution:

Modern Iran: Roots and Results of Revolution
by Nikki R. Keddie

A History of Modern Iran
by Ervand Abrahamian
(Abrahamian is a Marxist and the preeminent English scholar of the Tudeh Party, so I was surprised to see this book on CSA Odierno's 2012 reading list)

The Mantle of the Prophet: Religion and Politics in Iran
Roy Mattahedeh

-The Ideology:

Marxism and Other Western Fallacies : An Islamic Critique and Jihad and Shahadat By Ali Shariati

Gharbzadegi: Plagued By The West by Jalal Al-i Ahmad
(the title has been translated many different ways- here's one version:
http://www.amazon.com/Occidentosis-Plague-Jala-Al-i-Ahmad/dp/0933782136/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8)

Fanon's The Wretched of the Earth was also influential (Shariati himself translated it into Farsi).

Theology of Discontent
by Hamid Dabashi

Khomeinism: Essays on the Islamic Republic
by Ervand Abrahamian

-Feminism and The Revolution:

Women with Mustaches and Men without Beards
by Afsaneh Najmabadi

Foucault and the Iranian Revolution
by Janet Afary and Kevin B. Anderson
(Also has a good understanding of the Battle of Karbala, as well as an overview of the European left's initial optimism and eventual disenchantment with Khomeini.)

-Competing notions of martyrdom in revolutionary Sunni and Shia Islam:

Martyrdom in Modern Islam: Piety, Power, and Politics
Meir Hatina

The Siege of Mecca: The Forgotten Uprising in Islam's Holiest Shrine and the Birth of al-Qaeda
Yaroslav Trofimov

As for general US involvement in the Middle East, you'll want to start with these two:

A History of the Modern Middle East by William L. Cleveland

Afghanistan: A Cultural and Political History by Thomas Barfield

More general histories:

A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East by David Fromkin

Destiny Disrupted: A History of the World through Islamic Eyes by Tamim Ansary

There are also a number of popular books by Bernard Lewis, although I can recommend no one in particular.

For more narrowly focused histories:

Eternal Iran: Continuity and Chaos by Patrick Clawson, Michael Rubin

The Siege of Mecca: The Forgotten Uprising in Islam's Holiest Shrine and the Birth of al-Qaeda by Yaroslav Trofimov

Inside the Kingdom: Kings, Clerics, Modernists, Terrorists and the Struggle for Saudi Arabia by Robert Lacey

general interest:

The Missing Martyrs: Why There Are So Few Muslim Terrorists by Charles Kurzman

The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright is a fantastic look at the rise of militant Islam, including the mujahideen, and the lead up to 9/11.

Cleveland's History of the Modern Middle East is also pretty good. A little dry, but less so then you would expect from a textbook.

First hand accounts:

Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger

The Marsh Arabs by Wilfred Thesiger

Howling in Mesopotamia: An Iraqi-American Memoir by Haider Ala Hamoudi

Raed Jarrar and Salam Pax are classics for leftish people who want on the ground impressions of what was going down as it went down in Iraq.

And of course Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence, although that's more for entertainment.

general international relations theory:

The Tragedy of Great Power Politics by Mearsheimer is a great look at one of the two main consensus..es? Consesusi? Either way, it's a great book all about offensive realism.

Theory of International Politics by Waltz is of course a seminal text in IR theory. Though I've not read it, Kenneth Waltz's new book (well, 2008) Realism and International Politics is supposed to be good as well.

Most of IR theory is done in articles though. Some I can recommend are:

Realism
John Mearsheimer, Why We Will Soon Miss the Cold War
Kenneth Waltz, Why Iran Should Get the Bomb

Both argue that nuclear proliferation is a good thing, arguing that it creates a balance of power that cannot be broken, for fear of the consequences.

Samuel Huntington, The Great American Myth
Racist bastard that Huntington is, he nevertheless offers a compelling argument for a given vieww of American hegemony, and argues for a uni-multi polar system. This article perhaps best portrays how important polarity is to neorealism.

Fouad Ajami, Response To Huntington Written in response to the Clash of Civilizations, this is a neorealist critique of Huntington's 1993 article, not to be confused with the article directly cited above this.

Neoliberalism:

Michael Doyle, Liberalism and World Politics
A piece that essentially outlines neoliberalism and touches on a lot of the theories
Robert Keohane and Joseph Nye, International Institutions: Can Interdependence Work? Another basic intro to neoliberal theory

Democratic Peace Theory (a theory from neoliberalism)

Michael Doyle, Kant, Liberal Legacies, and Foreign Affairs One of the earlier works on the democratic peace theory
Christopher Gelpi & Michael Gresidorf, Winners or Losers? Democracies in International Crisis, 1914-1994 A wonderful summation of several liberal explanations of the Democratic Peace Theory

Constructivism
Alexander Wendt, Anarchy is What States Make of It: The Social Construction of Power Politics

One of the defining papers of constructivist theory
Thomas Risse, Democratic Peace - Warlike Democracies ? A Social Constructivist Intepretation of the Liberal Argument

While Risse is less prominent than a multitude of other scholars, I feel that this article (in particular) gives an interesting perspective on the Democratic Peace Theory, critiquing from a constructivist view.

World Systems Theory

Immanuel Wallerstein, The Rise and Future Demise of the World Capitalist System

I would be wrong if I didn't at least point you to one of the alternative/radical theories out there. This theory is derived from a Marxist theory of the world, and is one I reject utterly, but it might be worth reading

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Swan Oat posted:

As an aside if I could officially register as an antifascist, that would be really cool.

:agreed:

An anti-fash party would be the best thing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thump! posted:

I bet even they would find some way to split over what exactly fascism is. Pretend I linked that one Orwell essay.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A Man With A Plan posted:

Everything you just said, except it's still true 2000 years later.

Yeah, definitely, I wasn't trying to imply that it wasn't. Although people are less likely to die of the rickets these days.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 30, 2015

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

A bad thing about being a registered antifascist is that it would be easy to identify and purge you after the fascist takeover.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Swan Oat posted:

A bad thing about being a registered antifascist is that it would be easy to identify and purge you after the fascist takeover.

Which is why you have to work twice as hard, your life is actually in the balance.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

rkajdi posted:

All that said, less people having kids means we need more immigration to make up the additional population growth. I see it as a win-win since I'm all for seeing the current ruling demo made less dominant, but I have to think that maybe part of the issue the right has with people not having kids is that they're scared as hell of any non-European gracing our shores and possibly altering the culture. I mean, just little things like adding more different kinds of food is something that halfway set old people off. Anecdotally, I saw this with my 80 year old father a few years ago when I suggested eating at a Mexican place. Man never in his life had Mexican food (or even the American version) and the whole concept was pretty ripe with challenges for him. If small stuff like that is offputting, or dare I say triggering, then the whole idea of a bunch more people for places you've never really understood must be frightening. Not saying he's justified at all (he's an old racist coot) but part of the less kids thing is definitely fear of no longer being in the majority. But it's definitely in second place behind continuing the family line in way that costs you exactly the amount of dollars and effort that you feel like putting forward that day.

Though there is a fear of altering the culture, and the right's distinct fear of losing the (white) majority, there are legitimate fears to go with increasing immigration. Primarily it's the increased job competition in an already stagnant economy for the lower and middle class. The benefits outweigh the costs in the long run absolutely, but that short term fear is hard to get over. I'm not sure how we can alleviate that sort of thing, while also increasing immigration. Though possibly lowering the amount of tech visas while increasing permanent residents/whatever the term is by that amount or larger could be an answer.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Going Postal and Making Money and I think a few of his other later works are really good ways to introduce children to how and why certain state and civic institutions exist

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thump! posted:

Not until we get rid of FPTP. Until then, an antifascist party would actually help the fascists.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Smearing someone as "anti-fascist" to identify them as The Enemy says more about Ted Cruz than about the shooter.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Swan Oat posted:

Doesn't even have to go that far, just look at what happened to American anti-fascist volunteers who'd fought in the Spanish Civil War when the red scare rolled around.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jackson Taus posted:

I've never read The Ascent of Money but I just want to pause and highlight this. No offense Fried Chicken, but this is a perfect example of a major problem in our political culture. An intellectual is revealed to be not just wrong, but mendacious, not once or twice but habitually, and the default response isn't shunning or even EXTREME skepticism, it's slight concern. Again, sorry for singling you out, but this is a cultural problem we have in American politics. It's the same BS with the Bush National Security team - they were wrong about approximately everything, but still respected.

It's one thing where someone is wrong and publicly reevaluates, it's another where they're wrong and double down with dishonesty.

There is a difference between being descriptive (which the book is) and prescriptive (everything he has been terrible on). It is quite possible to have full command of the facts and, due to other factors, draw a different conclusion from it. That doesn't have any bearing on their knowledge of and ability to explain the facts.

I wouldn't trust Colin Powell on how to be a leader, on how to adhere to your moral principles in the face of adversity, or how to respond to the threat of terrorism. That doesn't mean the Frontline documentary on the Gulf War, where he plays a prominent role by recounting what was going on at the White House between them, intelligence services, and the DoD, is incorrect.

Now obviously it is possible for the descriptive to be twisted in service of the prescriptive. That's why I'm asking if that is what happened here. But the two are not intrinsically linked, and particularly in the case of a history book where there would be countervailing evidence if he did (eg: that Delong post on Graeber)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Who What Now posted:

By Mark Ames

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Out of left field: Does anyone know a way to get information on a company (such as executive compensation, number of employees, other seemingly basic things) if the company has made use of the "safe harbor" SEC rule 506?

EDIT: D&D is probably not the place for this question but you're good people.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

There is a difference between being descriptive (which the book is) and prescriptive (everything he has been terrible on). It is quite possible to have full command of the facts and, due to other factors, draw a different conclusion from it. That doesn't have any bearing on their knowledge of and ability to explain the facts.

I wouldn't trust Colin Powell on how to be a leader, on how to adhere to your moral principles in the face of adversity, or how to respond to the threat of terrorism. That doesn't mean the Frontline documentary on the Gulf War, where he plays a prominent role by recounting what was going on at the White House between them, intelligence services, and the DoD, is incorrect.

Now obviously it is possible for the descriptive to be twisted in service of the prescriptive. That's why I'm asking if that is what happened here. But the two are not intrinsically linked, and particularly in the case of a history book where there would be countervailing evidence if he did (eg: that Delong post on Graeber)

Yeah, but twisting the descriptive in the service of the prescriptive is basically naillferguson.txt - his most famous attacks seem to be the ones where he switches contexts mid-sentence or deceptively mingles stocks and flows. Plus his whole "the West is in decline" thing where he flips rising "rest of world" GDP-per-capita around to claim that the West is declining because it's only 4-5x richer than SE Asia or wherever instead of 40x richer.

Saying technically true things in a deceptive way is Ferguson's MO.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Colorado Springs PD reporting that Penrose Hospital, where many of the shooting victims are being treated, is under lockdown.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/11/30/penrose-hospital-lockdown/76569748/

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Colorado Springs PD reporting that Penrose Hospital, where many of the shooting victims are being treated, is under lockdown.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/11/30/penrose-hospital-lockdown/76569748/
What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :ohdear:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Still no word on why they're locked down, but it sure isn't hard to assume the worst right now :(

I drove by that hospital this morning, too...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I really hope this is unrelated. 99% chance that it is. But still...

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Okay, looks like the lockdown was dropped about twenty minutes ago. It was over a "suspicious person" in the area. Can't blame 'en for being cautious.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I hope it's just an unfounded bomb threat.

E: oops, that's even better I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ignoring that of course there is zero precedent for UAF = anti fascist, don't they see an issue with outright stating that a vote against fascism is a vote against us?

How much of this GOP base is literally on board with literal fascism advertised as such?

• Locked thread