Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

DemeaninDemon posted:

You mean Rubio v Trump v Hillary? :getin:

Oh man, now I'm imagining how crazy it could get if Trump did go 3rd party, and then they cut him out of the debates (they won't because RATINGS). Hail Eris!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In several states, Planned Parenthood is the only place that will perform an abortion.

And abortion is a medical procedure that is guaranteed as a constitutional right.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Alkydere posted:

If the GOP primaries weren't so bat-poo poo insane, forcing candidates to take positions that are so toxic to the general he'd be a viable candidate.

Also, Trump does a lot to make Rubio unviable by simply existing as he keeps pulling the primaries right and siphoning people away from everyone else. If Trump wasn't in the running, Rubio's biggest threat would have likely been Cruz (as everyone else is the Token of the Month, laughable, or Jeb!).

And at this point I'm honestly finding Trump-as-Perot not just possible but to be more and more probable Especially with someone posting a few days ago that he's actually hiring people to campaign on the ground. I have my doubts on weather or not the GOP establishment can swallow their bile and accept Trump as the candidate, and they certainly can't control him. If Trump doesn't find some way to self destruct, which is unlikely since things that would destroy other candidates careers only make him stronger, the GOP will likely shove him aside for Rubio. The only thing that will destroy Trump's campaign, at least publicly, is people getting bored of him. Which is unlikely as Trump's basically a billionaire version of a carnival barker, the man knows how to generate noise and interest and drama.

Of course take this with a grain of salt. I'm not a political junkie and it seems we live in interesting times where each election gets more and more insane than the last.

if they can't find a way to give Rubio the nom it'll go to Cruz. Trump isn't getting it no matter what. and if Cruz runs vs Hillary he'll get stomped in a 64 or 72 or 84 style landslide. if Cruz gets it i don't think there will be any room to run 3rd party for Trump. if, however, they manage by some miracle to get Rubio's numbers up enough to give it to him there's a decent chance Trump will go third party, especially depending on how shady the nomination is. so of 3 possible scenarios, Hillary vs Rubio vs Trump, Hillary vs Cruz, and Hillary vs Rubio, 2 of 3 are catastrophic failures for the Republicans that will provide historic levels of entertainment

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think the problem now is that with Superpacs more fully formed now than before candidates that before were dropping out by this point are kept alive by super pac money so we'll get this weird divisiveness all through out the primary season. Like Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz will still be in this because their super pac.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Hollismason posted:

I think the problem now is that with Superpacs more fully formed now than before candidates that before were dropping out by this point are kept alive by super pac money so we'll get this weird divisiveness all through out the primary season. Like Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz will still be in this because their super pac.

Also interesting that this is not the case on the Democrat side. The lack of GOP control over their own party is actually starting to un-nerve me.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Armyman25 posted:

Or when they destroyed the Temple in Jerusalem? Not many Jewish uprisings after that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitos_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Kokhba_revolt

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 30, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Also interesting that this is not the case on the Democrat side.

Only because it was clear a year ago that Hillary would run and win while it wasn't (and still isn't) clear who would win the Republican nomination.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

And look how well that turned out for the Jews.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

if they can't find a way to give Rubio the nom it'll go to Cruz. Trump isn't getting it no matter what. and if Cruz runs vs Hillary he'll get stomped in a 64 or 72 or 84 style landslide. if Cruz gets it i don't think there will be any room to run 3rd party for Trump. if, however, they manage by some miracle to get Rubio's numbers up enough to give it to him there's a decent chance Trump will go third party, especially depending on how shady the nomination is. so of 3 possible scenarios, Hillary vs Rubio vs Trump, Hillary vs Cruz, and Hillary vs Rubio, 2 of 3 are catastrophic failures for the Republicans that will provide historic levels of entertainment
Ted Cruz is second to Trump on the GOP Establishment's shitlist. A distant second, but still.

Edit: Obviously only counting current Republican politicians.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Armyman25 posted:

And look how well that turned out for the Jews.

~ 2 million dead in like 100 CE: "just folding up"

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Fix posted:

The Divide is more relevant to current events.

I know, but I was trying to give him a break from the bleakness. Dead Elephants has a lot more chuckle worthy lines.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Ted Cruz is second to Trump on the GOP Establishment's shitlist. A distant second, but still.

Edit: Obviously only counting current Republican politicians.

sure but what else do they do if they can't get the Trump/Carson/Cruz delegates to back Rubio? if they're forced to go with a radical they'll take Cruz over Trump

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I don't know guys, I think I might just read the first half of Romance of the Three Kingdoms for something completely off the grid. It might prove to taxing in which case I'll give Dead Elephants a shot (and probably buy The Divide at the same time).

Thanks for the suggestions!

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Otherwise, abortion is never mentioned in the bible.

There is one section of the bible outlining a ceremony to be performed by a priest if a husband suspects his pregnant wife had sex with someone else. A potion is prepared that she must drink. If she miscarries it is proof of infidelity, if not proof that she was faithful. So the magic bible potion only aborts babies conceived out of wedlock.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers+5%3A11-31

In short the bible does mention abortion and is cool with it so long as a husband and a priest are choosing it rather than the woman herself.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Joementum posted:

Only because it was clear a year ago that Hillary would run and win while it wasn't (and still isn't) clear who would win the Republican nomination.

I guess you don't remember how well Jeb was projected to do at the beginning of this thing. His superPAC money alone was supposed to scare away the smaller fish.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mr Interweb posted:

There has to be some special rules or something involved in the debates Cruz was involved with in college, cause I've seen the guy for the past 3 years and he comes off as one of the most incompetent, high profile politicians I've seen. I've said it before, but the guy can't even pull of the pseudo intellectual facade that you could get from Paul Ryan or Newt Gingrich. His arguments always come down to the most facile things like "constitution" and "Jesus". Look at how he does against Chris Matthews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StGzhLCKkkY

college debate : national politics :: figure skating : hockey

Perhaps Ted Cruz can pull the speaking equivalent of a Triple Axel on the debate stage but every time he tries it in the Senate he gets wrecked by a body check from Reid and/or McConnell.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

McAlister posted:

There is one section of the bible outlining a ceremony to be performed by a priest if a husband suspects his pregnant wife had sex with someone else. A potion is prepared that she must drink. If she miscarries it is proof of infidelity, if not proof that she was faithful. So the magic bible potion only aborts babies conceived out of wedlock.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers+5%3A11-31

In short the bible does mention abortion and is cool with it so long as a husband and a priest are choosing it rather than the woman herself.

Holy water and dust? A weak potion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think the Jewish law/ Religious text has a specific verse that states its okay to cut up a baby in the womb if it endangers the womans life.

Christianity being pretty much on Judaism part 2 : Return of the Messiah.

Jesus Christ specifically tells the Jews that he has not come to over turn their laws and prophets that would be the argument for abortion in Christianity.

So yeah, you could say that Christianity allows some abortions.

Actually , if I remember it's like required to have a abortion if the woman's life is in danger.

Wonder what Rubio would say about that.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 30, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
too bad we don't have some good Jewish troll orgs filing dumb RFRA poo poo about abortion access

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It would be a interesting question.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

too bad we don't have some good Jewish troll orgs filing dumb RFRA poo poo about abortion access

I think the Satanic church is.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Thankfully for evangelicals what the Bible says isn't relevant.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

mlmp08 posted:

Holy water and dust? A weak potion.

Yep, probably a good way to settle a jealous hubby down. God says your wife wasn't sleeping with the mailman, you can relax now.

However, the entire charade would be based on the belief that the pregnancy would be divinely aborted if she'd been cheating on him. A God that didn't respect choice would not use such a deception given that premise.

Edit:

Hell, a God that didn't respect choice wouldn't create plants with the same active ingredient as the abortion pill and plant them all over the world ... And yet rue, hellebore, sysphium, etc ... Created by God for a rather obvious purpose.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 30, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

there wolf posted:

I think the Satanic church is.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...ea1941d7cd.html

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

http://usuncut.com/politics/republicans-and-neo-nazis-protest-syrian-refugees-in-pennsylvania/

A couple of Pennsylvania GOP officials were spotted at a skinhead rally against Syrian refugees

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hollismason posted:

Walker's super pac megabucks didn't keep him going, remember.

Also a ton of the low poll candidates have little in the way of campaign or superpac money, but just to sit around technically in the race doesn't cost much.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hail Satan! :regd10:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

fishmech posted:

Also a ton of the low poll candidates have little in the way of campaign or superpac money, but just to sit around technically in the race doesn't cost much.

That's a good point.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

fishmech posted:

Rick Perry also had millions in Super PAC money left when he dropped out. You can't run real campaign infrastructure without actual campaign donations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rexicon1 posted:

Has there been evidence of us arming a group of rebels for short term gain that didn't all get distributed to people who would eventually become our enemies soon after?

Funding the Muj actually went pretty well for us. There's this whole myth about how we (read: the ISI) really ended up supplying Bin Laden and the Taliban, but that's not really born out in truth.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In the race at the current time, to be "relevant" you only need to pull like a 3%. It's a crazy good Republican primary to be a minimal spend hanger on, at least til we hit super Tuesday.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Rick Perry also had millions in Super PAC money left when he dropped out. You can't run real campaign infrastructure without actual campaign donations.

You can, you just have to outsource staff payrolls and poo poo to your superPAC which you are totally not colluding and collaborating with *wink wink nudge nudge* I think this is what Marco Rubio is doing in Iowa?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I've pretty much just come to terms with the fact that Trump is the second coming of Mussolini.

Right down to the part where his corpse is strung up by a tree in a town square and people pelt it with rocks

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Kavros posted:

Right down to the part where his corpse is strung up by a tree in a town square and people pelt it with rocks

SHOOT ME IN THE CHEST!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also didn't the PAC bus for Carson follow him to every shop because he had zero ground game without them picking up all the slack?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It sounds like Jeb! has the same problem, where he's hemorrhaging cash but he has a ton of SuperPAC money behind him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

rscott posted:

You can, you just have to outsource staff payrolls and poo poo to your superPAC which you are totally not colluding and collaborating with *wink wink nudge nudge* I think this is what Marco Rubio is doing in Iowa?

He's definitely got paid campaign staff in Iowa, though, yeah, I recall reading it was pretty light. We'll see how that works out for him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remember that the FEC has outright stated they are not going to be able to actually do anything right now about campaign finance violations since they are deadlocked between Dems and Republicans.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remember that the FEC has outright stated they are not going to be able to actually do anything right now about campaign finance violations since they are deadlocked between Dems and Republicans.

Makes Sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Armyman25 posted:

The time the Romans destroyed the sacred Druid groves of Angelesy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_conquest_of_Anglesey

Every source I can find on that describes it as a war of extermination; essentially, genocide. That does seem like the only kind of war that would permanently remove the Muslim Threat, so maybe that's your point...?

• Locked thread