Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Shoulda ripped his jaw clean off, Golden Compass style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BrianWilly posted:

She could have just ripped out his tongue

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

We just saw JJ for 13 episodes of MCU content.

The result wasn't very good.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Really confused as to why they didn't have her punch his heart to death the same way he had her to do Mrs Cage. Full circle and all that. Also Tennant's reaction to that would be cooler than a generic comics neckbreak.

But yeah, that whole final showdown felt pretty flat, after all the Kilgrave stuff prior had been SO goddamn gripping.

I actually kind of liked that. In many instances where somebody with super-strength is trying to kill somebody they spend an inordinate of time throwing or punching them around instead of just crushing the head or neck the moment they can. Terminator for example is especially bad for this. In that sense, it was rather fitting that Jessica picked the quickest and surest way to kill she had available at the time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Remember that horrifying thing I did that is a significant portion of my trauma? Yeah, let me do that again because it would be darkly poetic.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snak posted:

Empathy is the big theme with this show. That's why the villain is incapable of it.

You could say that empathy is a big theme with this thread, too.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

BrianWilly posted:

Exile him to a island with people who don't speak english.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'd like a scene of Killgrave frantically typing away on google translate on his phone, trying to work out how to say "kill yourself" in the language of the big foreign dude trying to stuff him into a sack.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
Just finished the series. Overall I liked it a lot! I took breaks, only watched 1-2 a day, so the constant "Killgrave captured / Killgrave escapes / Killgrave hurts more people" loop didn't bother me so much.

The crazy upstairs incest neighbor was the only character I hated. Her scenes stood out like a sore thumb of bad choices and bad writing, and brought the story to a screeching halt for me every single time. I don't think the character was inherently bad, toxic people like that actually exist -- but her scenery-chewing drama didn't fit with anything else on-screen.

The two episodes that I thought were the dumbest, also featured Incest Neighbor most prominently: episode 7 (AKA I Have To Go To Supermax Prison, Send Me To Supermax Prison Now, Supermax Prison Aaah) and episode 10 (AKA Clearly Unbalanced Shrieking Woman Convinces Support Group To Attack With 2x4s).

Both episodes were co-written by the same guy -- Micah Schraft. I guess we know who his pet character is. Then again, Schraft wrote episode 2 and I didn't have any particular problems with that...

Also "Supermax Prison" is the stupidest prison name ever.

Takei is Okay fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 29, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Takei is Okay posted:

Also "Supermax Prison" is the stupidest prison name ever.

It's the real life name for super-maximum security prisons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermax_prison

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah, but it sounded like the show was treating it as the name of one specific prison. Like Riker's Island or The Vault. It seemed like pretty lazy prison-name choosing.

I mean, maybe I misheard the episode, but I don't think anyone ever said "let's get me locked up in a supermax".

"I'm so hungry! Let's eat at Fast Food Restaurant! Dad can we stop at Fast Food Restaurant?"

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
This show is so much more interesting then Daredevil its not even comparable.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I'm going to go on a limb here and treat myself as an average viewer: I don't know, offhand, the name of any prisons except Alcatraz which is obviously not a thing anymore. I am however extremely familiar with the term supermax prisons.

But besides that point of it being simplified for all audiences, Jessica was pretty desperate for a plan and not really treating it rationally besides wanting to be locked up in whatever prison has the highest amount of security.

e: By using your analogy she wouldn't ask for a 'fast food restaurant' because she's hungry, she'd just ask for 'food' because she's starving.

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 29, 2015

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Takei is Okay posted:

Yeah, but it sounded like the show was treating it as the name of one specific prison. Like Riker's Island or The Vault. It seemed like pretty lazy prison-name choosing.

I mean, maybe I misheard the episode, but I don't think anyone ever said "let's get me locked up in a supermax".

"I'm so hungry! Let's eat at Fast Food Restaurant! Dad can we stop at Fast Food Restaurant?"

"Send me to supermax" is exactly equivalent (grammatically) to "Send me to jail" or "Send me to prison" and 100% correct usage.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Takei is Okay posted:

Just finished the series. Overall I liked it a lot! I took breaks, only watched 1-2 a day, so the constant "Killgrave captured / Killgrave escapes / Killgrave hurts more people" loop didn't bother me so much.

Looking back on what people have said, and how I watched the series, I think this applies to me as well. When Daredevil came out I binged the poo poo out of that poo poo as fast as I could. Every episode is out on day 1? No need to wait!

But in the end I found it really reduced the quality of the experience. A decently rich show like this needs some loving room to breathe. I need some time to consider what I just saw, decompress what just happened, get ready for what's next. At least, if the show is doing it's job I do. You don't chug a single malt scotch.

So I made a very conscious decision to only watch 2, 3 episodes max at a time with JJ, and this time I didn't start to feel impatient for the overall plot to get resolved as the show wore on, didn't feel like I was basically rewatching a scene I just saw an hour or three ago. I got a lot more out of it. Don't get me wrong, more power to you if you can keep up 13 hours of marathon watching, but I'm definitely gonna keep spacing stuff like this out in the future.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just finished, and I absolutely loved it. Some minor complaints (action scenes were kinda meh except the bar fight and the confrontation at the end, and Simpson being super spec ops was kind of jarring for me at first), but this was a show I never knew I always wanted to see. Ritter and Tennant were fantastic, and while I was wary at first seeing a super-hero show deal with abuse, mental health, etc. but I felt like it handled everything very well.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011

Zsinjeh posted:

I don't know, offhand, the name of any prisons except Alcatraz which is obviously not a thing anymore. I am however extremely familiar with the term supermax prisons. But besides that point of it being simplified for all audiences, Jessica was pretty desperate for a plan and not really treating it rationally besides wanting to be locked up in whatever prison has the highest amount of security.

pseudorandom name posted:

"Send me to supermax" is exactly equivalent (grammatically) to "Send me to jail" or "Send me to prison" and 100% correct usage.

Well, fair enough. It sounded to me like they were using a generic term for a type of prison as a proper name for one specific prison -- but maybe I'm just conditioned by years of comics characters yelling about sending people to The Vault and The Raft and The Cube and so on. Incest Neighbor's antics were driving me up the wall at that point anyway.

So, besides the IGH company that was linked to both Jessica and Simpson's powers, were we also supposed to infer that Kilgrave and Luke were both given their powers by the same shady scientist group? Both were "experiments," and Reva wanted Luke to see whatever was on that drive...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Perestroika posted:

I actually kind of liked that. In many instances where somebody with super-strength is trying to kill somebody they spend an inordinate of time throwing or punching them around instead of just crushing the head or neck the moment they can. Terminator for example is especially bad for this. In that sense, it was rather fitting that Jessica picked the quickest and surest way to kill she had available at the time.

Yes! Every time the really big strong bad guy gets their hands on the heroes, they get so wrapped up in how cool it looks to effortlessly lift someone up in the air in one hand, and then they throw them across the room or maybe punch them really hard so they fly across the room, and maybe smash into some furniture or something, and it's totally kickass. But really, they coulda just snapped their neck right there, and the hero only survived because of how overwhelmingly fun it is to be a really big strong dude.

double negative posted:

Given Luke's past and the villains they picked, I'd expect incarceration, the criminal justice system, and corruption to be prominent themes, but maybe that's just me hoping.

This is from a couple pages ago, but I didn't know how much I wanted this until you said it. News at 11: Cell phone video of a police officer shooting an unarmed black man 16 times with no provocation... and then the man gets back up and starts yelling for a lawyer.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

It would have been gratuitous for Jessica to maim Kilgrave when she finally got her hands on him, and against her principles despite whatever she had said or threatened in the past. She doesn't condone killing or violence, and tried so hard to take him down without resorting to killing him for so long that when she finally had the opportunity to kill him she did it in the most quick and humane way possible, by snapping his neck. Her lifting him by the cheeks and giving him one last stare was all the retribution she needed. He was completely powerless and knew in that moment that he had been utterly defeated.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NmareBfly posted:

The really funny thing is that this isn't the first time poo poo like this has come up in the court of law. There's a landmark case from a decade ago which determined that, because the X-Men are not human, the action figures are toys and not dolls therefore get taxed at a much lower rate. So despite everything they whine about in universe, we all know from a legal standpoint that mutants don't count as people.

This was amazing because The Wall Street Journal had a cover story on it with a zoomed in picture of a Wolverine action figure and the headline was "THE MUTANT QUESTION."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This show would have been much better without the weird incest brother and sister

I don't think they added anything to the show at all and just kept ruining it every time they were on screen.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Been doing a rewatch. First off, I've been enjoying binging a show but rewind to watch the intro every episode (skipped on my Wii U somehow?), because that gives me space to breathe and decide if I really want to watch another episode.

Second, just finished up through episode 6 again. My notes:

I thought the whole episode was really good, in its own right, including Luke's line (which somehow went memetic? Idgi).

* In the beginning of the episode, the camera zooms in on Jessica's handshake with Luke. Later, Luke comments that these are the same hands that killed his wife--throughout the episode, whenever Jessica is touching Luke (like later for the motorcycle ride) the camera focuses on Jessica's hands.

*I don't get people who complain about the writing--it feels real to me. Have you ever kept a secret from somebody you knew would find out, even though you know it's hurting THEM more than it's hurting you? Jessica slept with Luke, in the first two episodes, before coming to terms with her raping him and distancing herself from him. Her body language conveys that so well, and that's something this show gets. The cinematography captures body language SO WELL.

*Jessica goes "poo poo the alarm didn't go off"--except, I'm betting it did, but she was too busy zoning out flashbacking to killing Reva Connors while Luke explained his connection to Serena Greer. What a coincidence he explained that at 10am, but nonetheless, a nice touch. Luke's concerned "Are you okay?" is probably because he heard the alarm that Jessica completely zoned out for. Nice touch.

* Episodes on Netflix are basically just looooong cuts and it's kind of why I love JJ. I love giving serious moments time to breathe.

* In the episode where she pushed Malcolm and then shouted "I think he lunged at her!" and then running off, was right after Reuben was explained Racism as a "thing to overcome" and JJ gives him a suspicious glance--but then uses that to her advantage anyway. But the entire time, JJ and Malcolm's body language and glances just communicate "yeah, that was unabashedly hosed up". Because the whole time JJ brings him to the hospital, he's protesting, saying "I don't need to go here". She had to fool him the entire way to the hospital and then pushed him so she could steal drugs. It wasn't "good strategy", it was hosed up.

* The discussion Simpson and Trish have outside Trish's apartment (episode 4), Simpson recounts a childhood experience to demonstrate that he saves people--at all costs. He melted his army men and torched a Dream House. Like ur not a monster if u ever intentionally destroyed a toy, but he thinks that "I saved [my sister's] Barbie" justifies all the toy-violence he committed. Trish's reacts accordingly "You torched a dream house?!"
* Also, during their "date" when he came inside Trish's apartment, her hand was on the gun she gave him, pointed at him from behind the serving bowl. Love that Trish recognizes that Simpson wanted to apologize&chill, and goes through with sleeping with him completely of her own volition. But that only worked because she had complete agency in that situation (supposedly, as long as he didn't have any red pills--LOL as I'm saying that). "Men are worried women won't like them. Women are worried men will kill them" was basically that entire scene, because remember, the last two times Trish met him, he showed up unannounced, he was being violent as gently caress. "I gotta battering ram this door down" was the second visit. SHe rightfully tells Jessica that who she sleeps with is none of her business, too. It's just really well done, how they capture that the only way Trish can feel safe around Simpson is by having control of the situation.

* Seriously Nuke is such an adorable little MRA douche metaphor I love it. Even though she slept with him, he's still basically an rear end in a top hat and that doesn't mean he deserves anyone's attention. That's what his whole plotline reads like to me. He torches his sister's toys. He's like Cid.

* Theory: Cid from Toy Story grows into Will Simpson. (But then MCU and Pixar universes merge and that's a whole thing that wouldn't work--OR WOULD IT???)

* Trish's tale of domestic abuse from her mother was forecasted way before we ever meet her. As evidenced by the tale she tells Simpson about the Patsy doll--which at the time, she didn't know were being sold in stores. In episode 3, when Jessica goes to Trish's apartment the "normal" way for the first time, she's surprised by all the security and comments how she turned her home into a fortress--"Is your mother back?"

* In episode 5, the scene with JJ in the elevator with Malcolm, she rides down in complete silence. But her facial expressions at Malcolm are just... rife with words. She goes from "How could you hurt me?" to "I'm sorry you're going through this. I know it's not your fault." She knows the latter is true, but she can't help but feel the former. Again, empathy is what this show gets.

* One more thing: Not a single second of any footage from this show needs to be cut. It's perfect. Okay it's not perfect, but like, every scene is essential. Kilgrave knew Jessica doesn't follow his orders anymore--he knew it the night of the bus crash. In fact he went to great efforts to disguise that fact, by contacting her through every means available except standing in the same room as her. On a rewatch, a lot of this is obvious and just makes his character that much more hideous. I mean he even insults Jessica later for not picking up on it, which is like, yeah of course YOU would insult her for it after the fact, mr. I know Jessica Jones WOn't Listen To Me Anymore But I'm Going To Fool Her Into Thinking I Still Can Control Her.

* AGain, "being right" doesn't mean anything if you are acting wrongly. Such a big theme of this show. The fact that Simpson was "right" about Malcolm didn't mean he should have wigged out on him like that. Jessica tried to save Malcolm by empathizing with his ordeal, rather than scaring him. even though she played him to get the resources to do so.

Lupus Rufus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 30, 2015

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Episode 7:

* The first time Jessica comes back to her apartment, she kicks the box out of the way.

* The box that contained records of Kilgrave's childhood, now filled with an object of Jessica's childhood she couldn't find.

* The flashback when she returns to her house, with young Trish telling her, "don't you know it's rude to stare?", that's the beginning of their relationship. Jessica helped pull Trish out of the abusive relationship she had with her mom. Incidentally, we first see Trish's mom earlier in the episode. Jessica cleaning up what she felt was a loose end by threatening Trish's mom to stay away from Trish, and she of course acts dismissively about it.

* The end of the last episode, setting up this episode? I felt like they're really driving this idea in that Kilgrave is trying to isolate her. Her coping mechanism centers on the streets around her childhood home, and now that home has memories of Kilgrave being there. And of course he knows what he's doing. He's doing a perfectly good job at manipulating Jessica without his powers because he knows full well she won't listen to his commands, as evidenced by her leaving him to die. And yet he acts like he's the generous one, not using them on JJ. He's an expert gaslighter because he literally never learned how to empathize. Even when Jessica suggests that Kilgrave is wanting her to kill herself, he scoffs, "I knew you were desperate but that's just SAD".

* And the best part is JJ is acting completely on her own accord but doesn't even realize it. Well, except for the fact that Kilgrave is manipulating other people specifically to get JJ to do what he wants. That's literally the entire point here. He no longer has any direct control over JJ but he can certainly make her life a living hell if he so chooses, which is what makes him so hideous. Because he did choose to do that, because he literally has no clue how it's impacting Jessica. That's not "deserving of sympathy" but willful ignorance. Calling her suicidal ideations "sad" distances himself from the damage he directly caused.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
This show would be so much better with actually nudity to go with the vanilla sex scenes.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

gohmak posted:

This show would be so much better with actually nudity to go with the vanilla sex scenes.

Every show would be better with more nudity.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

marktheando posted:

Every show would be better with more nudity.

Top gear.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

gohmak posted:

I know this was probably a joke and I know the cast/producers Marvel said no nudity. But does Netflix allow nudity in their other TV/movie originals?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I know this was probably a joke and I know the cast/producers Marvel said no nudity. But does Netflix allow nudity in their other TV/movie originals?

Well, there hasn't been any yet. Also these "vanilla" sex scenes are by far the most graphic depiction of sex in the MCU. But I think the previous record holder was some particularly salacious hand holding.

I saw an interview where Ritter said that they didn't do nudity because she personally didn't want to appear nude but I'd be real surprised if that's a line that Disney/Marvel are willing to cross.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

zoux posted:

Well, there hasn't been any yet. Also these "vanilla" sex scenes are by far the most graphic depiction of sex in the MCU. But I think the previous record holder was some particularly salacious hand holding.

I saw an interview where Ritter said that they didn't do nudity because she personally didn't want to appear nude but I'd be real surprised if that's a line that Disney/Marvel are willing to cross.

He wasnt asking about the other Marvel originals I think, because he said " I know the cast/producers Marvel said no nudity", so I think he just meant "does netflix allow nudity in their original programming" in which case the answer is "Orange is the new black". I dont think anyone is really expecting nudity in a marvel property in the immediate future.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Thanks for the write-ups! I definitely have to keep an eye out for these things when I rewatch the season.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

notthegoatseguy posted:

Marco Polo had plenty.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Finished it this morning before work. I really, really enjoyed it. One thing that I see constantly brought up, but am I the only one that doesn't have an issue with the fight scenes? They aren't supposed to be dazzling. The only ones with any real training are Simpson and Trish. Jessica seems to have had some, but she and Luke are largely brawlers, relying more on brute strength than technical skill or finesse. It would be weird to see them with some kind of highly developed fighting style.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

zoux posted:

I don't mind the show but people have been raving about how adult and edgy it is. Sure, compared to the MSU kids cartoons but not against other shows in its genre. I'm expecting Dexter, True Blood level of edge and they failed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gohmak posted:

I don't mind the show but people have been raving about how adult and edgy it is. Sure, compared to the MSU kids cartoons but not against other shows in its genre. I'm expecting Dexter, True Blood level and they failed me.

If people say "adult themes" and you think that means titties, I dunno man.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

zoux posted:

If people say "adult themes" and you think that means titties, I dunno man.

Since when the gently caress does it not?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh my God, I never realised how Simpson's little childhood story is massively reframed by his later actions. Woah.

10 Beers posted:

Finished it this morning before work. I really, really enjoyed it. One thing that I see constantly brought up, but am I the only one that doesn't have an issue with the fight scenes? They aren't supposed to be dazzling. The only ones with any real training are Simpson and Trish. Jessica seems to have had some, but she and Luke are largely brawlers, relying more on brute strength than technical skill or finesse. It would be weird to see them with some kind of highly developed fighting style.
people aren't complaining so much about the choreography as much as the way the scenes are shot and edited. They cut ON impacts removing the sense OF an impact, they rarely show guys flying from a throw, they instead show Jessica's arm moving at them and then cut to them hitting the wall, its sloppy, etc.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

VagueRant posted:

Oh my God, I never realised how Simpson's little childhood story is massively reframed by his later actions. Woah.
people aren't complaining so much about the choreography as much as the way the scenes are shot and edited. They cut ON impacts removing the sense OF an impact, they rarely show guys flying from a throw, they instead show Jessica's arm moving at them and then cut to them hitting the wall, its sloppy, etc.

What's his childhood story?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

gohmak posted:

I don't mind the show but people have been raving about how adult and edgy it is. Sure, compared to the MSU kids cartoons but not against other shows in its genre. I'm expecting Dexter, True Blood level of edge and they failed.

Dexter's nudity was largely gratuitous. You'd get a shot of Badass Cop loving a woman just so they could show tits and it'd do nothing to advance the plot.

Also I was really concerned that JJs showrunner was involved in Dexter but thank God the Dexter stink didn't follow her to this show.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kurtofan posted:

What's his childhood story?

"Saving" his sister's barbie, while burning down the dream home and a load of army men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Saving" his sister's barbie, while burning down the dream home and a load of army men

Haha nice catch.