Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Craptacular! posted:

Is Eugene supposed to be in the closet, or am I totally crazy? I noticed a few episodes ago that one of the blondes was tossed out of a mech by one of the team's burly guys jacking it from him, and he moves away with the startled expression and hand clutched to his chest that I've long identified as the sign of a crush. That was such a minor thing that could be interpreted wrong that I made no mention of it.

And now in this episode someone goes on about wanting the girls with the big titties and tries to get Eugene's approval, and he replies, "I'm not interested in girls." It's something that's relatable to almost any closet gay.

During that scene Eugene and Akihiro also exchanged a brief glance across the table which is really all the justification I need to ship them :mrgw: Eugene does say the next morning he's an adult now so he was interested enough to get the job done.

The kid (Yamagi) who got pulled out of the mech has a (potentially one-sided) crush on Norba, the guy who took his hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gonna have to ask this thread to quit spinning its wheels on the polyamory issue.

Polyamory's weird and unhealthy and I don't think anybody in this thread is advocating for it in real or fictitious terms. Naze's family situation, insofar as we've been allowed to understand it, is clearly an impossible 'Ideal" which even then carries unpleasant implications which are understandably uncomfortable and okay to express discomfort with. It is also valid to accept it, for better or worse, as a part of the world of the story, and to try and interpret what the creators are going for with its inclusion.

The problem with the conversation as its stands is that it's just everyone running in circles getting increasingly agitated with no real progress being made on the subject. There are those who are able to look past the weirdness of the situation to examine its place and purpose and those who aren't - it is, after all, an incredibly sensitive subject, the ramifications of which in the real world have left a lot of people hurt and broken. Neither group is in the wrong about this, but neither do they stand to gain anything from another 20+ posts consisting of the same old points with incrementally increasing doses of hostility.

I'm sure a couple of you are tired of me always coming in here and believe me when I say I wish I didn't have to. I just don't see anything particularly fruitful coming from having this circular argument in lieu of harder points - which may yet bubble to the surface. All it does in the interim is consume the thread in a war with no possible victor but plenty of probable casualties.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Hahaha Orga has a touching moment with the red-haired kid, and then immediately vomits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

So basically Mary Sues?

I guess? I don't really like the term but Naze is a particular type of archetype that bugs me. He wandered into the story and the past 2 or 3 episodes have basically been dedicated to him being a cool bro who, so far, has basically been like a gift sent from heaven to the Tekkadan. He took them on, he gave them training, he sold all their stuff for a tremendous profit, he became their blood brother (and wanted to do so with perfect equality until he was shot down) and everyone around him speaks of him with utter worship. I don't know where the show is going to go with him so it's possibly I'll eat my words later on.

In comparison, to get off the subject, I really like Mika and I think he's rapidly becoming one of my favorite Gundam protagonists. He is intelligent, capable, and competent while still having understandable flaws and weaknesses. You can understand why he is capable in certain areas and why he makes the choices and decisions he does. Unless the show absolutely drops the ball on him he's taking on the kind of ideas you saw with Heero or Setsuna and executing them a thousand times better.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

NotALizardman posted:

Hahaha Orga has a touching moment with the red-haired kid, and then immediately vomits.
I can only imagine the hangover Orga was fighting against during the ceremony.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

AradoBalanga posted:

I can only imagine the hangover Orga was fighting against during the ceremony.

I was thinking this same thing.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

It was hilarious that we left Akihiro last time begging for a simulator rematch, and in this episode he still wanted some to the point that a character that was introduced as a carefree badass that enjoys fighting for its own sake was like "holy poo poo just give it a break"

And also incredibly sad because Akihiro feels even more than Mika that his only value is as a fighter and that he must correspond the kindness and trust that Orga deposited on him by giving him the one real choice he's ever had in his life :smith:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm curious to see if Akihiro's big thing will be getting a third Valjana operation despite his age in order to be "equal" to Mikazuki.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Shakugan posted:

I'm curious to see if Akihiro's big thing will be getting a third Valjana operation despite his age in order to be "equal" to Mikazuki.

I doubt it. He's training without one, so him getting another implant would kind of make that training pointless

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm also wondering what Akihiro will be flying from now on, given that they've apparently sold the Kai's reactor. The supplementary material implies it'll stick around and get an upgrade, but I can't see how that could happen.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Shakugan posted:

His mech is going to get a dragonslayer sword

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They didn't, they had two Grazes (rear end in a top hat squad commander and Crank).

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

PUB SOMEDAY

PUB ALWAYS

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

.jpg posted:

His mech is going to get a dragonslayer sword
He must complete his transformation. :black101:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Azee continues to be my favorite sisterwife

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ethiser posted:

Wasn't sure if they were the space mafia or the space yakuza but when he ordered in cannoli the answer was made clear.

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm also wondering what Akihiro will be flying from now on, given that they've apparently sold the Kai's reactor. The supplementary material implies it'll stick around and get an upgrade, but I can't see how that could happen.

I'm really, really worried about Akihiro and his continued survival on the show. The way he fought in the last battle showed that he, like Mika, is totally willing to die for the cause, and given he's the only other boy with whom Mika could be said to have a strong relationship (sure, it's a rivalry, but it's a friendly one, which kinda isn't the norm for these shows), it makes me think that if Orga doesn't die to spur Mika's character development, Akihiro almost certainly will. However, Aki seems in his own way to be a lot more ,,,together and mature than either Orga or Mika(training lust notwithstanding), so maybe he can avoid death for this show (or at least a cheap death)... I dunno.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i want akihiro and the blonde chick to hook up, cause holy poo poo, the doujins write themselves

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I wish I could work out what to make of Atra's scene in the canteen. Atra looks on in polite indifference while Amida is monologuing about the virtues of the harem life, then she's asked a leading question and she gives the contrarian answer while looking away, which throws Amida off. A moment later she makes eye contact again and starts rambling about food and I seriously need that to be her avoiding confrontation by misdirection rather than her being so dim she thought they were literally talking about food. If her reply was actually her passing judgement on the harem situation or just being snarky that's a more compelling character beat from her in two seconds than I've seen from her all show, but then she goes back to being cheerful and earnest a second later and it may all be in my head.

Orga getting hella drunk trying to be the big leader man was great. I'm also holding out hope that the convenient cash-rich buyer of stolen Gjallahorn goods is the Gjallahorn spy and Fumitan is working for someone else entirely, possibly the fat Martian or the earth nation looking to use Kudelia to make trouble.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lestaki posted:

I seriously need that to be her avoiding confrontation by misdirection rather than her being so dim she thought they were literally talking about food.

Not dim, it was showing that she's just that innocent so the analogy went over her head.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I think the reason the jovian mafia is being so nice is that they're essentially using Tekkadan to start a war and fully expect them to all die.

I was also expecting some petty conflict to crop up with some faction within Teiwaz, but I'm really glad it didn't. They want a war with Gjallarhorn and the perfect trigger just waltzed out of nowhere.

Fumitan is totally a spy. I wasn't sure but that wistful look while she was typing after talking to Kudelia clinched it in my eyes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

She has to be, but I think her loyalties are divided because she genuinely likes Kudelia.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

I'm really, really worried about Akihiro and his continued survival on the show. The way he fought in the last battle showed that he, like Mika, is totally willing to die for the cause, and given he's the only other boy with whom Mika could be said to have a strong relationship (sure, it's a rivalry, but it's a friendly one, which kinda isn't the norm for these shows), it makes me think that if Orga doesn't die to spur Mika's character development, Akihiro almost certainly will. However, Aki seems in his own way to be a lot more ,,,together and mature than either Orga or Mika(training lust notwithstanding), so maybe he can avoid death for this show (or at least a cheap death)... I dunno.

If it happens, I don't think it'll be for a while. The supplementary materials show the Kai posing with a lot of extra gadgetry we haven't seen on-screen yet, and there's a new kit coming out that looks suspiciously like an upgraded version of it. I mean, I guess it's possible that he gets iced but the machine is salvageable, but him remaining as Tekkadan's secondary pilot for a fair time yet seems the most probable option.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Begemot posted:

Fumitan is totally a spy. I wasn't sure but that wistful look while she was typing after talking to Kudelia clinched it in my eyes.

Yeah, she's absolutely got a double agent thing going on.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I just hope Martian Guts has a happier life than Fantasy Earth Guts :smith:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
He is already happier by far than Guts was at this age.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Begemot posted:

I found it strange how she treated Kudelia's present.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Begemot posted:

What would a Gundam Eclipse look like?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

korrandark posted:

What would a Gundam Eclipse look like?

Finale of Zeta.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Begemot posted:

Well, Akihiro has yet to be stuck on a boat for what feels like 500 years. Or meet a dude who randomly sings everything from show tunes to Metallica songs.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

Not dim, it was showing that she's just that innocent so the analogy went over her head.

Sufficiently advanced innocence is indistinguishable from stupidity, I guess.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Begemot posted:

He doesn't have a Casca and only tenuously has a Griffith so he's probably fine

Also, Atra's arc is gonna be innocence -> seeing some horrible poo poo -> either completely breaking down, turning into a huge badass, or both. I'm drat near tempted to toxx on this. They've made way too big of a deal out of her being sheltered from actual combat to not do something like that.

e: She might also die before reaching the final step but that seems unlikely tbh, this show isn't that mean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

He doesn't have a Casca and only tenuously has a Griffith so he's probably fine

Also, Atra's arc is gonna be innocence -> seeing some horrible poo poo -> either completely breaking down, turning into a huge badass, or both. I'm drat near tempted to toxx on this. They've made way too big of a deal out of her being sheltered from actual combat to not do something like that.

e: She might also die before reaching the final step but that seems unlikely tbh, this show isn't that mean.

I don't think so. Next episode we see that Atra at very least also had a difficult childhood. (She looks absurdly hosed up in the flashback.) The fact that she retained her innocence and moved on to a more ideal life just kind of furthers the idea to me that she's the ideal that Mika wants to protect in pretty much every fashion. It's not impossible for a show to end up destroying that but I just can't see any Gundam series having the guts to go that full nihilism. Even Tomino at his most Tomino never quite went that far and Fa was basically the survivor in Zeta.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Atra's arc is going to be "continues to be adorably friendly and helpful, marries Mika and runs a farm with him."

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Atra's arc is going to be "continues to be adorably friendly and helpful, marries Mika and runs a farm with him."

gross

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

here are my thoughts how is actually sexist and fascist:

*faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart*

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Do not NTR Orga

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

Do not NTR Orga

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I found it strange how she treated Kudelia's present.

She couldn't bear to wear it while actively betraying Kudelia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One nice bit of visual storytelling - unlike the rest of Tekkadan and its allies, who are all associated with the colour red to some extent, Fumitan is in Gjallarhorn blue.

• Locked thread