Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What gun are you going to use in this Call of Duty?
The good one that everyone else uses
Another, different gun
View Results

• Locked thread
Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Fibby Boy posted:

You don't use glitch to kill dudes. It's for running away like a girly man.

But when you have the choice between 'ability that murders the entire enemy team' and 'ability that extends your life by a couple of seconds, sometimes' why would you ever pick option #2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Bloodmobile posted:

But when you have the choice between 'ability that murders the entire enemy team' and 'ability that extends your life by a couple of seconds, sometimes' why would you ever pick option #2?

It's fun?

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
What kind of headsets do most people use for PS4? i've been using the dinky ear bud that came with it and i can't stand the pain in my ear after my 6 hour sess with goon groups. Also id like to beable to pipe the game directly into my ears. is this possible? or am i just a dreamer.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
the gold wireless headphones are probably the best $70 I've spent on video game poo poo

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I use this mic with my headphones (these guys, but any pair of headphones with a detachable cable should be fine). Gaming headsets are generally pretty bad.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

the gold wireless headphones are probably the best $70 I've spent on video game poo poo

The audio quality on those are great but the mic blows. I can barely understand people who use them.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I got the turtle beach stealth 500P on sale for 70 bucks. I've been pretty happy with it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fibby Boy posted:

You don't use it in the middle of a fight. You decide before the fight to use it or not.

If you're using Glitch before a fight when you're not in danger, then what's the point?

The only use I see for Glitch is: you round a corner, see three or more enemies, go, "Oh poo poo," and hit it to back up super fast.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I've used glitch on people when i get a hit marker from behind i mash it and end up behind them. It's quite fun.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The_Fuzzinator posted:

I've used glitch on people when i get a hit marker from behind i mash it and end up behind them. It's quite fun.

I envy you, being able to live long enough being shot in the back to pull it off... :sigh:

Seriously though, next time you do it, get a video clip, especially if you pull it off with a shotgun. :hellyeah:

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

I envy you, being able to live long enough being shot in the back to pull it off... :sigh:

Seriously though, next time you do it, get a video clip, especially if you pull it off with a shotgun. :hellyeah:

By no means is it often. but i'll start getting into the habit of spamming my saved video clips to youtube to share some highlights

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

If you're using Glitch before a fight when you're not in danger, then what's the point?

The only use I see for Glitch is: you round a corner, see three or more enemies, go, "Oh poo poo," and hit it to back up super fast.

Cap point->glitch and move on. See a dude when you're not prepared->glitch and A: run back in prepared or B: go some other way. Get shot from behind->glitch and either shoot him in the rear end or run away. Run out of ammo in a fight->glitch and run away. Dude jumps over your cover when you're not expecting it->glitch and run away or shoot him in the back. Round a corner and find more people than you were expecting->glitch and run away. Dude runs under you while wall running->glitch and gomba stomp him off the wall.

Glitch is an "oh poo poo" button with the primary purpose of running away. Being able to use it offensively every so often is just a minor perk.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

The_Fuzzinator posted:

What kind of headsets do most people use for PS4? i've been using the dinky ear bud that came with it and i can't stand the pain in my ear after my 6 hour sess with goon groups. Also id like to beable to pipe the game directly into my ears. is this possible? or am i just a dreamer.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Yeah, the Gold sound awesome, but the mic is built into the headphone part. Everyone that uses them sounds like they're talking underwater or something. I switch between the Gold and Silver, and the mic on the Silver is so much better (and easier to mute). I can't recommend the Silvers though. They're "on the ear" so after a few matches they get annoying. Taking them off between matches helps, but makes it hard to join in funny chat antics.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Cap point->glitch and move on. See a dude when you're not prepared->glitch and A: run back in prepared or B: go some other way. Get shot from behind->glitch and either shoot him in the rear end or run away. Run out of ammo in a fight->glitch and run away. Dude jumps over your cover when you're not expecting it->glitch and run away or shoot him in the back. Round a corner and find more people than you were expecting->glitch and run away. Dude runs under you while wall running->glitch and gomba stomp him off the wall.

Glitch is an "oh poo poo" button with the primary purpose of running away. Being able to use it offensively every so often is just a minor perk.

This is exactly how i use it. I have gotten used to having my fingers on the bumpers to glitch as i round corners and am almost in the habit of using my middle finger for my trigger instead of my pointer.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
does my mic really suck that bad

you guys can tell me the truth :ohdear:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The worst thing Sony did with the PS4 was packing in a poo poo tier mic :eng99:

Now every party is filled with a range of random quality mics, usually with volume levels ranging from 'mumbles the inaudible clown' to 'my loving ears are getting blown out'.

There's a fair number of goons who probably think I hate them or that I'm deaf, but no, I just can't hear you without deafening myself from everyone with a decent mic :shobon:

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

The gold headset also sucks if you have a big head like me. The hinges are cheaply made so your big head snaps them, then when you tape it up the headset starts snapping in other places and you have a headset of duct tape that barely hangs on your head. Yay $100 that broke after 6 months without banging it up at all :D

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I wish Sony would re-print or do a new version of the Pulse Elite, the drat thing is brittle as gently caress but probably the best headset they ever put out.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I swear to christ I will never understand the garbage rear end community that plays this game sometimes. The game encourages wallrunning, sprinting, jumpjetting, and fast placed gameplay, but no matter what lobby I get into or what map I'm on I'm always getting wrecked around what feels like every loving corner by some douchebag parked behind a box or in a corner just sitting still ADS'ing :sigh:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you want to go deep into the weeds:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-5-31-2015-beyer-cop-and-shure-1540-added

Your best option for headphones is probably a mixamp + real audiophile headphones + a modded mic. ctrl-f 'external microphone' on that list, the boompro is pretty snazzy, just replaces the basic headphone cord with one that has an attached mic.

Also not on that list, the new Astro A40TR Mixamp just came out last month, and it has pc software that lets you customize the eq settings, which is really nice, you can emphasize highs or reduce excessive bass (like say, that in the astro a40tr headphones...) That mixamp also works on the pc as a soundcard and has virtual surround as well, if that's something you care about.

Problem is that's pretty expensive to setup, and you're not going to know if you like the headphones without testing them with a mixamp - most 'real' headphones need it, the ps4 controller can't power good headphones on its own.

Otherwise you can keep an eye out for a discounted pair of 'gaming' headphones that have built in chat/game mixing and a mic. Most are pretty crap tier in terms of audio quality though.

I'm using those new astros, mostly because I was getting sick of the trashy mic in the sony golds, and black ops 3 has such a spectacularly garbage audio mix that I can't hear footsteps on my speaker setup and I have to jack the volume up so high my party can usually hear the game through my headset if I use them :|

The soundwhoring is unreal in this game though man, it's not even remotely fair when you encounter someone without dead silence and you're using headphones and awareness. They have to get staggeringly lucky to win that encounter.

T1g4h posted:

I swear to christ I will never understand the garbage rear end community that plays this game sometimes. The game encourages wallrunning, sprinting, jumpjetting, and fast placed gameplay, but no matter what lobby I get into or what map I'm on I'm always getting wrecked around what feels like every loving corner by some douchebag parked behind a box or in a corner just sitting still ADS'ing :sigh:

See above re: unfair soundwhoring :v:

(also if they're really just behind a box, you should be sailing over their head with a thrust jump, walking around corners is something you do if there's a ceiling overhead)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

victrix posted:

(also if they're really just behind a box, you should be sailing over their head with a thrust jump, walking around corners is something you do if there's a ceiling overhead)

I honestly should play with my Turtle Beaches and run Dead Silence but I like Gung Ho way too much :v:

I've tried hanging back and playing patient with an AR and trying to be tactical, but that poo poo is just too boring for me. I just need a game mode where players can't sit still for more than 3 seconds or else they explode. Too bad i'm on PC and 60% of the playerbase only plays TDM so that wouldn't work :v:

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

T1g4h posted:

victrix posted:

The soundwhoring is unreal in this game though man, it's not even remotely fair when you encounter someone without dead silence and you're using headphones and awareness. They have to get staggeringly lucky to win that encounter.

Yeah, headphones + awareness = a big advantage. I run to a hotspot then chill somewhere with a decent angle and listen. After a couple kills, run around to another spot and listen. I'm not amazing at the game by any means, but I end up in the top 3 waaaay more these days. Of course I still like jumping around and wall running so I get killed plenty, too.

EDIT

I use blast suppressor for now and am only 2 levels away from Dead Silence. Can't wait.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

T1g4h posted:

I honestly should play with my Turtle Beaches and run Dead Silence but I like Gung Ho way too much :v:

I've tried hanging back and playing patient with an AR and trying to be tactical, but that poo poo is just too boring for me. I just need a game mode where players can't sit still for more than 3 seconds or else they explode. Too bad i'm on PC and 60% of the playerbase only plays TDM so that wouldn't work :v:

I remember AlterIWNet had a server like that. It couldn't tell the difference between standing still and calling in a streak so calling in a Predator Missile would sometimes kill me.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Man, loving RIPD AlterIWNet :(

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

T1g4h posted:

I swear to christ I will never understand the garbage rear end community that plays this game sometimes.

sorry you are bad at the game

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Use a pair of Real™ headphones and a discrete (clip, desk, whatever you want) mic.

I'm going to stream: http://www.twitch.tv/versussa

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

T1g4h posted:

If someone is camping ADSed on a sightline and kills you more than once then the problem is you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"What's the point of jumping over cover or running on walls, you're just exposing yourself to fire brah." :rolleye:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

Few things:

-Playstation video recorder/editor is complete rear end
-I had to pick through a bunch of videos to find situations where I did actually use glitch. Going for the cyberpunk body skin means I've been using glitch way less than I should.
-Clips are in no particular order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNJrqUfPDg4

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 1, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Actually, revise my previous response to "If someone is camping ADSed on a sightline and kills you more than once then the problem is you unless you're playing Redwood DOM in which case it's the lovely map design"

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

On now if anyone wants to team up:
BostonZombie

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

If someone is camping ADSed on a sightline and kills you more than once then the problem is you.

Different corners, different areas, still happens. I already know i'm bad at the game and trash, doesn't change the fact that camping fucktards are annoying? :v:

Also, now that i've finally decided to be that guy and actually try levelling the fuckin Drakon, I suddenly don't care about unlocking the Sheiva in a few levels. This thing is insane. Can't wait to get ELO and Stock and turn it into a big dumb battle rifle :allears:

Mister Macys posted:

"What's the point of jumping over cover or running on walls, you're just exposing yourself to fire brah." :rolleye:

Honestly I try to wallrun everywhere. This has lead to me getting stuck on walls in the interior of that big building on... Havoc? I think? Whatever one has the giant turtle statue. I've die way too many times from accidental wallruns :(

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ok so seriously, what is the problem here? I friended people over 24 hours ago and they appear in my online 'recent players' but not on my friends list in-game.

What the actual gently caress.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That would happen if they haven't been online since you friended them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think the Sheiva's only real niche is that you want to use the Drakon but don't want kills.

I got the P-06 to Prestige 2 and it's a really fun sniper rifle that people seemingly can't believe you can be any good with due to the firing delay, but it's actually insanely useful because you can just fire on reflex then scope to where you actually need it to hit. The weirdest part was after building in that muscle memory then moving to the SVG-100 and feeling like it's completely overpowered because you can just pull the trigger when your crosshairs are over someone and kill them - though the downside is you can't charge up a bullet and fire it into a camper's face the exact moment you pop out of cover.

Vykk Draygo
Nov 26, 2005

Let's Do This.
I'm hopping on for a bit if anyone wants to team up.

Xbone: ToledoTorpedo

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

I think the Sheiva's only real niche is that you want to use the Drakon but don't want kills.

I got the P-06 to Prestige 2 and it's a really fun sniper rifle that people seemingly can't believe you can be any good with due to the firing delay, but it's actually insanely useful because you can just fire on reflex then scope to where you actually need it to hit. The weirdest part was after building in that muscle memory then moving to the SVG-100 and feeling like it's completely overpowered because you can just pull the trigger when your crosshairs are over someone and kill them - though the downside is you can't charge up a bullet and fire it into a camper's face the exact moment you pop out of cover.

I'm tempted to try the P-06 once I max the Drakon out. Watching xcal's gameplay where he got 52 defends with that thing made me consider giving it a whirl if nothing else. It's gonna be hard to top a semiauto, rapid firing, no recoil deathcannon though :allears:

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

looking for some bros to do damage with

PSN: The_fuzzo

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mill Village posted:

That would happen if they haven't been online since you friended them.

Nah, these are people in this thread that play very regularly and were on when i logged in.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Close the app and restart. If that still doesn't work... :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
The Locus is good y'all. Slap the suppressor on and go to town.

• Locked thread