Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Hunger Games did have one really cool thing in the books and it was my IMM that they didn't do it in the movies, too.

The dystopia is set up so there are twelve surviving districts each with a very specific export. The 13th district was completely obliterated prior to the books in the Great War or whatever.

In the first book, a throwaway line references the 13th District as being for graphite production. You read it and think "uh that's pretty loving weird and specific." Then in the next book a character is talking to the main character and tells her not only did 13 survive but it's not under Panem control. Because it actually produced nuclear weapons, duh. I think the character in question even berates Katniss a little for buying into the dumb graphite farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

dpack_1 posted:

I just got done watching Mockingjay Part 2.

IIMM: When and why did President Snow booby trap THE ENTIRE CITY? Like was that poo poo always there, kinda seems a little unsafe, and if it wasn't then that seemed like an awful lot of masterplanning to get done in the middle of a war? And where did the completely unexplained "mutts" come from, they were clearly just eyeless vampires from I Am Legend.
I haven't seen part 2 yet but I read the books and basically all of this can be explained by:
It was in the books so they decided it would be cool in the movie but were too lazy to set it up properly.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Rurea posted:

I haven't seen part 2 yet but I read the books and basically all of this can be explained by:
It was in the books so they decided it would be cool in the movie but were too lazy to set it up properly.

This is why Book > Movie is always shite, where as Book > TV Series is usually a lot better. You can't fit 600 pages into 120 minutes, but you can fit 600 pages into 600 minutes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Films that treat the book as a jumping off point or inspiration are good but a beat for beat adaption rarely works.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

My irritating book moment from The Hunger Games was when Snow bombs a hospital.

Like he literally orders his precious and irreplaceable military hovercraft to go and destroy a hospital full of wounded soldiers. Naturally it's a huge propaganda boost for the rebels and Snow ends up losing his hovercraft.

When I was reading it I remember thinking how the obvious twist was going to be that it was actually the rebels posing as Snow who bombed their own hospital. Effectively demonstrating their callousness in targeting their own people just to score a propaganda victory and simultaneously get rid of the drain on their resources posed by the wounded. A decent literary device, if a bit predictable.

Except it turns out it really was Snow, and he's just the worst military tactician ever and didn't realise a hospital full of wounded soldiers that need food/medicine/shelter is better for his side than a smoking crater the rebels can point to and say 'look what a dick this guy is'. Or to put it another way, writing convincing villains is hard and it's easier just to make them puppy-kicking evil for no goddamn reason.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's pretty simple. Stupid petty people land on planet for stupid petty reasons. Meet God, God hates them and fucks them up.

I love that the whole human cast spends the entire time being huge douchebags towards their own "intelligent" creation and belittling the idea he could have thoughts/feelings, then being surprised and shocked when they discover their own creators feel the same way about them.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I love that the whole human cast spends the entire time being huge douchebags towards their own "intelligent" creation and belittling the idea he could have thoughts/feelings, then being surprised and shocked when they discover their own creators feel the same way about them.
I think this was one of the more interestingly written parts of the movie. Or am I giving the script too much credit here?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PuntCuncher posted:

Roll credits.

I think my wife is the angriest she's ever been at me after selecting it for movie night.

I watched Prometheus with my heavily-pregnant wife. Even in the alien abortion scene, she was so incredulous at how loving stupid everyone on screen was being, she found it hilarious and not shocking or gruesome in the slightest.

That movie was a wet fart with very few exceptions.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I loved how they cut all mention of 'Avox' from the first two point five movies then just drop it in the fourth like you have any idea what it is without having read the books.

Also the *stares directly at camera for three seconds* immediately before the credits rolled made me throw my hands up in frustration.

More Hungry James 4: Harry potter had two movies for its last book too its totally fine 2, for what it's worth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ryoshi posted:

The Hunger Games did have one really cool thing in the books and it was my IMM that they didn't do it in the movies, too.

The dystopia is set up so there are twelve surviving districts each with a very specific export. The 13th district was completely obliterated prior to the books in the Great War or whatever.

In the first book, a throwaway line references the 13th District as being for graphite production. You read it and think "uh that's pretty loving weird and specific." Then in the next book a character is talking to the main character and tells her not only did 13 survive but it's not under Panem control. Because it actually produced nuclear weapons, duh. I think the character in question even berates Katniss a little for buying into the dumb graphite farce.

That's actually clever and good. Graphite was used as the moderating agent in the piles used to enrich uranium and plutonium for the Manhattan Project.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jedit posted:

That's actually clever and good. Graphite was used as the moderating agent in the piles used to enrich uranium and plutonium for the Manhattan Project.

Yeah as soon as I read his post I figured there was some tertiary link between the two but I wasn't sure what it was. That's nifty.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I always thought the "Districts" were like, planet wide? And the advanced technology and super trains just meant going somewhere like Africa would take all of a few hours. Was I just reading that wrong in the book or did they just jib the idea for the films?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ChogsEnhour posted:

I always thought the "Districts" were like, planet wide? And the advanced technology and super trains just meant going somewhere like Africa would take all of a few hours. Was I just reading that wrong in the book or did they just jib the idea for the films?

I haven't read the books myself but all the text on the internet says Panem is North America, and all the maps of the districts show the US just cut up into districts.

It can be pretty easy to do that when reading a book though, you miss one line and then they never really highlight the issue so you go on believing one thing when the intention of the book was something else.

Having it be all or most of the remaining countries and having big bullet trains to go from country-district to country-district seems pretty cool to me though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ChogsEnhour posted:

Panam, the nation in the books/movies is, I believe, just a post-apocalyptic united states.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

jabby posted:

My irritating book moment from The Hunger Games was when Snow bombs a hospital.

Like he literally orders his precious and irreplaceable military hovercraft to go and destroy a hospital full of wounded soldiers. Naturally it's a huge propaganda boost for the rebels and Snow ends up losing his hovercraft.

When I was reading it I remember thinking how the obvious twist was going to be that it was actually the rebels posing as Snow who bombed their own hospital. Effectively demonstrating their callousness in targeting their own people just to score a propaganda victory and simultaneously get rid of the drain on their resources posed by the wounded. A decent literary device, if a bit predictable.

Except it turns out it really was Snow, and he's just the worst military tactician ever and didn't realise a hospital full of wounded soldiers that need food/medicine/shelter is better for his side than a smoking crater the rebels can point to and say 'look what a dick this guy is'. Or to put it another way, writing convincing villains is hard and it's easier just to make them puppy-kicking evil for no goddamn reason.

This is especially loving dumb because they outright state that the rebels do poo poo like this, and it ties into Katniss's decision at the end to shoot Coin.

....Which is it's own absurdly stupid plot point. Like, jeez, in an entire trilogy of contrived Ender-syndrome violence, the finale is the single dumbest most contrived thing I've ever seen published, both what was intended to happen and the "twist".

E:

Captain Monkey posted:

Panam, the nation in the books/movies is, I believe, just a post-apocalyptic united states.

Panem, because it's literally loving named after "panem et circenses", and not as a wink-wink-nudge-nudge thing but something they actually reference in the books to beat you over the head with it.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Dec 1, 2015

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Well yeah its YA so that's sort of par for the course. Which is a golf analogy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Like Harry Potter, Hunger Games kinda loses its thread the longer it goes. The first was by far the best. /unpopular opinion

True of lots of popular series, actually. (Game of Thrones :ohdear:)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
You saying that the first Harry Potter movie was the best is my irrational irritation. Except its kinda rational because that movie sucks dick

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I liked the first one. It had a certain low-budget charm.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The first book was probably the best. Hogwarts is new, everything is new and exciting. All the stuff with the sorting hat and it ends in a pretty epic fashion the others couldn't quite match.

The movie was a little low-budget compared to the others, but it had the best Dumbledore by far you can't argue that. And they kept switching directors so each of the subsequent movies had a pretty big tonal shift.

Hey I even tagged it /unpopular opinion because I knew :cheeky:

Also Rowling is a fantastic drama writer, the books are amazing page-turners. But a good fantasy writer she isn't. The world building in Harry Potter is pretty sparse and contradictory. I think they're better as murder mystery books set in a fantasy world than actual fantasy books, although that's kinda splitting hairs.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't really buy the "low-budget" thing, since it cost 125 million, I think it's just that Chris Columbus has made consistently poo poo movies since Home Alone for some reason

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

The first book was probably the best. Hogwarts is new, everything is new and exciting. All the stuff with the sorting hat and it ends in a pretty epic fashion the others couldn't quite match.

The first Harry Potter book is so bad that I have no idea why a second was ever published. Harry does literally nothing in the entire book. "We have four houses at Hogwarts - the good guys, the bad guys, the one with the silly name and the other one. Put on this hat and it will tell us which one you should belong to, except it actually tells us what house you chose to be in so it's loving pointless."

Of course, the second book is worse. The fourth is OK, though.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I don't really buy the "low-budget" thing, since it cost 125 million, I think it's just that Chris Columbus has made consistently poo poo movies since Home Alone for some reason

I swear I remember hearing they hired him in part because he works very well with child actors, particularly those without much acting experience. If true, that at least might make sense, almost like a rookie in baseball getting some playing time with an eye towards the future (in this case, the later movies where it would be more serious and less whimsical).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

The first Harry Potter book is so bad that I have no idea why a second was ever published. Harry does literally nothing in the entire book. "We have four houses at Hogwarts - the good guys, the bad guys, the one with the silly name and the other one. Put on this hat and it will tell us which one you should belong to, except it actually tells us what house you chose to be in so it's loving pointless."

It was written for children and made a fuckload of money.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My favourite story about the books before they really took off is from Stephen Fry. He narrated the audiobook for the first one and when he was recording Rowling mentioned she'd written a 2nd and he responded with basically "How nice for you, pet" and never expected them to become the cultural phenomenon they did. Source: Stephen Fry

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, there was some war that killed off most of the population in the world, just leaving a chunk of North America left. That's why the Capitol has such a high level of technology, it is several hundred years in the future.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jedit posted:

The first Harry Potter book is so bad that I have no idea why a second was ever published.

"I hate these books so much I read FOUR of them!"

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

BiggerBoat posted:

"I hate these books so much I read FOUR of them!"

"Hey, this series is a cultural touchstone and like most things I'm sure it starts off weak and gets better later." ???????

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, there was some war that killed off most of the population in the world, just leaving a chunk of North America left. That's why the Capitol has such a high level of technology, it is several hundred years in the future.

Except the Capitol's technology level is totally inconsistent and basically just follows whatever the author thought would be cool. Which is why they have holograms and crazy advanced genetics but they burn coal as fuel and their top tier weaponry is the hovercraft. They don't even appear to have an army as such, just a handful of easily defeated 'peacekeepers'.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lady Naga posted:

"Hey, this series is a cultural touchstone and like most things I'm sure it starts off weak and gets better later." ???????

Dean Koontz is a pretty popular writer too but I gave up halfway through third book I tried. I think that Transformers is really gonna pick up with the next film though.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Part of Harry Potter's popularity and positive reception is that for the most part it promotes positive and kid-friendly values like loyalty and friendship and doing what's right and anti-racism and all that sort of thing.

Literally one of the last things that happens in the first book is Dumbledore saying "Standing up to your friends when you believe they're doing something wrong is worth a lot of points."

And the overlong fifth book has a part that people tend to ignore but which very explicitly says "The Ministry of Magic is out of touch with reality, wizard society is racist and messed up, things need to be done to make things better."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They never did do anything with Muggle relations. Wizard Hitler's on the loose but everyone without magic is kept in the dark.

I really liked the Bartimaeus Trilogy instead, because it showed what it would be like if there were a magic ruling class; pompous dick-heads who get what they want, who seldom face repercussions for their actions, and who deem everyone else beneath them. The hero goes through this mindset until other people knock sense into him.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They never did do anything with Muggle relations. Wizard Hitler's on the loose but everyone without magic is kept in the dark.

I'm pretty sure I remember a line in one of the later books where the Ministry of Magic and the Prime Minister of Britain are actually in contact and aware of each other, and the MoM sent the PM a warning about Voldemort in case he becomes powerful enough to threaten all of Britain but wanted to try and take care of him themselves so they could keep up the facade that the wizarding world doesn't exist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaphod42 posted:

Prisoner of Azkaban is the best one. Deadly Hallows is garbage. The rest are OK.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember a line in one of the later books where the Ministry of Magic and the Prime Minister of Britain are actually in contact and aware of each other, and the MoM sent the PM a warning about Voldemort in case he becomes powerful enough to threaten all of Britain but wanted to try and take care of him themselves so they could keep up the facade that the wizarding world doesn't exist.
IIRC it's more like the Minister for Magic shows up in the PM's office and just tells him "Magic's real, an evil wizard is killing people, there's nothing you can do about it so just let us handle it, OK? Cool."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

This is one of the few times in the series the book shifts away from Harry or Voldemort. It does indeed happen.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Tiggum posted:

Prisoner of Azkaban is the best one. Deadly Hallows is garbage. The rest are OK.

IIRC it's more like the Minister for Magic shows up in the PM's office and just tells him "Magic's real, an evil wizard is killing people, there's nothing you can do about it so just let us handle it, OK? Cool."

The procedure is apparently that whenever there's a new PM or a new Minister of Magic, the minister pops in to say hi to the PM and say "Hey, by the way, magic's real, I'm in charge of it in Britain, will let you know if anything crazy happens."

The bit at the start of, I think, book 6 is a bit of a montage of the old Minister Cornelius Fudge popping in the first time in a cheery manner, then he pops in years later looking freaked out going "Wizard Hitler is loose, I don't know what the gently caress is going on, sorry", and then finally there's a new Minister who's all "Yeah you just sit tight, we got this bro". He then dies later that book. He's played by Bill Nighy in the movie.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Tiggum posted:

Prisoner of Azkaban is garbage. GARBAGE!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

To go along with bad dubbing from earlier, my favorite has always been Major League:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAA2KxYyfYU

It has been at least 20 years since I saw it on TV and I still self-censor myself with a weirdly out of tone GUY every now and then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kruller posted:

To go along with bad dubbing from earlier, my favorite has always been Major League:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAA2KxYyfYU

It has been at least 20 years since I saw it on TV and I still self-censor myself with a weirdly out of tone GUY every now and then.

That actually sounds like it could be the same guy who did the Die Hard "melon farmer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Prisoner of Azkaban is so bad that it was all resolved by such a blatant deus ex machina that Rowling had to explicitly write it out of the next book by destroying every Time Turner in the world, pinky swear that's all of them, they kept them all in a single cabinet all together with no extra security and nobody thinks anything odd about that, and the ones Hogwarts had in the last book are there too for some reason, and nobody can make more because uh I don't recall them actually giving a reason, okay now there's dramatic tension again.

Everything other than the Time Turner is cool though, and Deathly Hallows was impossibly bad.