Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wanderer posted:

Seriously, if you don't know what all this Ken Penders stuff is on about, you are better off not knowing. Here lie monsters.

No, I know all about it (poor me), I'm just confused as to why you'd need to add the Royal adjective to a Kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This image will tell you everything you need to know.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Seriously, if you don't know what all this Ken Penders stuff is on about, you are better off not knowing. Here lie monsters.

I never get the American fetishisation with Royalty, isn't that what you guys were trying to bury?

:cry:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

This image will tell you everything you need to know.

That's a strange, new direction for The New Day, but I think I like it?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's a Kingdom, with a King. Royal Kingdom is just needlessly repoetitive! It's stupid!

I might be overthinking to avoid the horrors of the Penders.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

That's a strange, new direction for The New Day, but I think I like it?

Wrong talking animal franchise. They're unicorns, remember?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Wrong talking animal franchise. They're unicorns, remember?

You're right. That's clearly Team BAD.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

last issue of megaman was released. It ended on a fitting note. It's a real shame that this series had to go.

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

It's actually over, then? I thought it was just going on extended hiatus or something.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Geizt posted:

It's actually over, then? I thought it was just going on extended hiatus or something.

They've been intentionally vague about it, so it could go either way, helps that the reason this is happening isn't due to sales(from what I recall Mega Man sold about as well as Sonic Universe most months), it's due to Archie's finances being so screwed up that they literally can't afford to print Mega Man or Sonic Boom's comic anymore, so it's possible that it could return in the future once things get better for Archie(assuming they hold onto the Mega Man rights)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
drat. I was in love with that series too. Mega Man is always such a nostalgia trip for me, and their take on it was so good and charming as hell. :3:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The one thing Archie comics has no problem with is keeping things charming. Penders aside.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

So is the Sonic Comic the new Uncle Scrooge of our times or what? And does that make Ken Penders Carl Barks who took some bad acid and got all high and mighty over having half a semester of English Lit under his belt and no drawing skills?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Holy crap, the last issue of Mega Man actually showed The Elf Wars from the backstory of Mega Man Zero! I don't think that's actually been depicted anywhere before!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
After seeing so much about it on this board (just discovered the board a few days ago), I finally decided to pick up the first collection of the Archie Mega Man comics on Comixology. And on the same day I buy it, I find out that they've cancelled it? Life's not fair, goons.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

They've been intentionally vague about it, so it could go either way, helps that the reason this is happening isn't due to sales(from what I recall Mega Man sold about as well as Sonic Universe most months), it's due to Archie's finances being so screwed up that they literally can't afford to print Mega Man or Sonic Boom's comic anymore, so it's possible that it could return in the future once things get better for Archie(assuming they hold onto the Mega Man rights)

poo poo, is this why the Archie Horror comics have been delayed to hell and back?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

poo poo, is this why the Archie Horror comics have been delayed to hell and back?
I assume that's more due to the artists than anything.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I assume that's more due to the artists than anything.

It's probably a bit of both

Also if Archie does go under(since they've had a lot of problems lately), who do you think would buy up their stuff?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

drrockso20 posted:

Also if Archie does go under(since they've had a lot of problems lately), who do you think would buy up their stuff?

Penders. :black101: :unsmigghh:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine Disney would be keen to have the feather in their cap.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I swear to god I will hate Archie forever if they sink before penders gets committed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine Disney would be keen to have the feather in their cap.

Yeah Disney is probably the most likely candidate, although I can see Time-Warner/Turner or Viacom taking an interest, or maybe even one of the bigger non-Big Two publishers like IDW throwing a bid in

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Who's got the license to Street Fighter comics these days? Surprised they haven't snapped up Mega Man since they've got a working relationship with Capcom.

Also how did Archie's finances get so hosed in the first place by the way? I knew financial woes were the reason Mega Man got the axe, but I never bothered looking up where those financial woes stemmed from.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

Who's got the license to Street Fighter comics these days? Surprised they haven't snapped up Mega Man since they've got a working relationship with Capcom.

UDON has Street Fighter. They just started doing a new ongoing for the first time in like 6 years the other day after trying sporadic graphic novel releases. They also have a GI Joe crossover coming up.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah Disney is probably the most likely candidate, although I can see Time-Warner/Turner or Viacom taking an interest, or maybe even one of the bigger non-Big Two publishers like IDW throwing a bid in

Disney has almost too many properties right now and I could see the Archie catalog just being much more for them to take on and keep giving attention to.

I'd probably say that Time-Warner would make a serious offer. It seems like the properties would fit in pretty well with their Hanna-Barbera properties or just for use in general product branding, it could be milked for Adult Swim-styled fare (not counting the Fox ADHD Archie parody that has already been done), or trying to make it a Adventure Time/Steven Universe/Regular Show type of thing, too. The latter two might result in some degree of Hot Topic/Spencer's merchandising boom that alone could make it worthwhile.

It would even fit in pretty well with their DC stuff. They could have an entire Golden Age/Silver Age DC type of characters and stories pop up all over the Archie titles if they wanted to keep it like some old-fashioned 50s Americana comic if that's as far as they wanted to take it.

Oddly enough, I can sort of maybe see some kind of manga publisher trying to make a small bid for it. Whether or not they'd actually GET it would be another thing, but the Archie line of properties is one that I could sort of see someone in that realm seeing the potential of buying and doing a significant reinventing in such a way that might attract a new audience but totally alienate any existing one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Disney should buy them so that Punisher Meets Archie and Superteens could both become Marvel canon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Marvel buys them they can finally reveal that Knuckles's surname is actually "Summers".

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
So, anyone else here reading Chilling Adventures of Sabrina? Or rather, waiting for the fifth issue to come out already.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

poo poo, Marvel could have Megaman and Sonic team up with X-Men, the way they used to do with their licenses.

Dr Wily teams up with Fu Manchu.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So, anyone else here reading Chilling Adventures of Sabrina? Or rather, waiting for the fifth issue to come out already.

I'm reading it and I like it well enough but it's been so long since the last issue that I'm starting to suspect that it, AWA, and their respective creative teams don't actually exist, and my reading experience was all an elaborate hallucination. I mean, Archie and horror? Come on!

If you're interested in the Archie horror line I wrote up a bunch of notes about AWA earlier in the thread, (and I think I've done the same for the Archie reboot) and a tidbit or two about Sabrina.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Argue posted:

I'm reading it and I like it well enough but it's been so long since the last issue that I'm starting to suspect that it, AWA, and their respective creative teams don't actually exist, and my reading experience was all an elaborate hallucination. I mean, Archie and horror? Come on!

If you're interested in the Archie horror line I wrote up a bunch of notes about AWA earlier in the thread, (and I think I've done the same for the Archie reboot) and a tidbit or two about Sabrina.

It's such a shame that Afterlife With Archie has been on hiatus for so long. It's such an interesting and well-executed idea with each issue kind of being a homage to different horror films.

It's also a drat shame because I bought a subscription and only received like 3 issues through it :smith:

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Argue posted:

I know it's terribly lazy of me, but do you have a link?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I know it's terribly lazy of me, but do you have a link?

It starts over here with Afterlife issue 7, then I went back to the start and did notes for the others. I took a look and it seems I only wrote down one tidbit for Chilling Tales but it's because most of the things I would have said overlapped with stuff I wrote about AWA.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Argue posted:

It starts over here with Afterlife issue 7, then I went back to the start and did notes for the others. I took a look and it seems I only wrote down one tidbit for Chilling Tales but it's because most of the things I would have said overlapped with stuff I wrote about AWA.

Something to remember, Chilling Adventures is a different continuity from Afterlife. Anyway, this amuses me.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

MonsieurChoc posted:

poo poo, Marvel could have Megaman and Sonic team up with X-Men, the way they used to do with their licenses.

Dr Wily teams up with Fu Manchu.

More like Arcade.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Disney buying up Archie would only result in a sitcom for tweens and you know it. :colbert:

Also, I've kinda been wanting to read the Sonic comics now that I have a Kindle. I was thinking of starting with the Sonic/Mega Man crossover, but is there a better point to start at? Of course, I could read them ALL... :unsmigghh:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Start at the crossover, because it leads to a continuity clean up/reboot for the Sonic comic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
No start at the beginning, post here every ten comics or so, I want to see a log of madness.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Disney buying up Archie would only result in a sitcom for tweens and you know it. :colbert:
This is in the works already.

Unless :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TwoPair posted:

No start at the beginning, post here every ten comics or so, I want to see a log of madness.

You sick son of a bitch. It's a deal.

• Locked thread