Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I've seen nothing but SCH as healers in all the dungeons I've done lately. That's at mid-level and not end-game, but still. WHM seem pretty rare these days.

The Grimace posted:

For what it's worth, I really like Vaan. Not so much because of XII, but because of Final Fantasy Tactics A2, in which he actually has a plot presence and is represented to be pretty cool. They also give him a shirt, which makes him more bearable.

Yeah not having a shirt is actually a big part of why he's so insufferable.

Ultimately its all star wars; Vaan is Luke, Baltheir is Han, Fran is Chewie, Ashe is Leia and Gabranth is Vader.

Baltheir totally should have been the main character though, so much more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

What's the overall opinion on ASTs these days? I resubbed over the weekend, and have been exploring the content that's new to me. I read up on the class changes. AST has had a few nice tweaks, but I'm bouncing between WHM and AST and it still feels like WHM is playing easy-mode.

And out of curiosity, how are SCHs? Mine's still 51 or something, and I never had a ton of experience with it at 50. I imagine the ideal healing duo is still WHM/SCH.

I am not running bleeding edge content. But I would never use AST as a SCH replacement, as n!a!benefic cannot crit for quad shields, Diurnal gives 5% spell speed, and AST regens stack with a WHM's and vice versa for effortless healing. None of that exclusive overwriting shields crap. Casual example: On bugdad EX, a!Helios + Collective Unconscious + another WHM's Medica II = Full health by the time your feet touch the ground from Bloody Fuller.

Edit: Cleaned up. Thank you for pointing it out, kharaa.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 30, 2015

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

and regens stack endlessly with another AST's regens

no

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I *know* I've seen WHM and AST regens both present on an entire party. It's very hard to miss.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I *know* I've seen WHM and AST regens both present on an entire party. It's very hard to miss.

then clean up your post to say as much because right now you're implying ast regens stack with other asts

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Grimace posted:

The specifics behind a lot of the backroom issues of FF12's development are still kind of hush-hush. The general idea seems to be that Vaan was added fairly early into development, but the actual script for the main story wasn't terribly rewritten from Matsuno's original vision. The game starts off with Vaan wanting to be a sky pirate and then as soon as everyone leaves Rabanastre, it goes full into the Princess Ashe storyline, turning Vaan into a completely ancillary character. He quips up here and there like you said, but he never actually does anything to strengthen his own character development... and Penello just gets kidnapped, that's the extent of her character.

Then, at some point Matsuno had a physical and mental breakdown, forcing him to leave the project. Hiroshi Minagawa and Hiroyuki Ito stepped in after that, but it's hard to say how much they changed of the game's actual story. They are both very competent people though: Minagawa, having worked on every other Ivalice title but Revenant Wings, and Ito being the creator of the ATB and one of the driving forces behind FFs VI and IX. At the end of the day though, I would really have liked to have seen what Matsuno's original plan for XII was before the draft was changed and he was forced from the project due to extreme pressure.

For what it's worth, I really like Vaan. Not so much because of XII, but because of Final Fantasy Tactics A2, in which he actually has a plot presence and is represented to be pretty cool. They also give him a shirt, which makes him more bearable.

Matsuno also designed the license boards too. They had "classes" like in IZJS but removed them so people wouldn't have characters locked into a class.

This all backfired because everyone made black white samurai mage knight ninjas with all the characters.

Vaans the main character, his story starts in the next game. That's just amazing.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

italics exist in bbcode you know

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Lant posted:

New relics are upgrade-able to 255 but only if you are able to find the hidden invisible chest at 3:27am in Coil 3 that has a 0.02% chance to spawn for 17 seconds.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This was literally a thing for the Miragent/Fenris PVE sets at 50 in Aion.

I wouldn't mind if they had people do speed run treasure map hunt like the Siel's Spear quest in Aion. Like they give you 5 treasure maps and you have to complete all of them in half an hour.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
Progress update.

Started as Lancer, got to 15, got the class skill and then went and got all basic classes unlocked from the various cities.

Someone please convince me to not go craft/gathering crazy and build stuff for literally each class.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Chyea posted:

gird your loins for brachiosaurus atma.

I can see the Lodestone entry many moons from now:

Changes Made To The Drop Rate of the Items "Atma of the Littlefoot" and "Atma of the Bison".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Black_Oni 165 posted:

Progress update.

Started as Lancer, got to 15, got the class skill and then went and got all basic classes unlocked from the various cities.

Someone please convince me to not go craft/gathering crazy and build stuff for literally each class.

Be careful with crafting skills, if you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Black_Oni 165 posted:

Progress update.

Crafting takes forever to level up and will be a bit of a money sink for awhile so feel free to put it off, maybe pick one thing you like to focus on. Crafting is way deeper in this game than others though and is pretty rewarding.

Gathering gets boring fast but you can make some easy money and its a cool way to kill time while watching netflix or whatever.

Def try out all the combat classes because why not, and even feel free to level them all up to like 5 since it goes so fast. At that point though it'll start slowing down and you'll wanna pick one. That said I feel like most classes don't have enough abilities to really be fun until 30+ so you won't really get to fully try them out.

I'm a bit of an alt-aholic myself and FFXI and FFXIV both make this better and worse since all your classes contribute to one character, but its also so easy to just hop over to another class for awhile...

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Black_Oni 165 posted:

Progress update.

You'll get gear as rewards every 5 levels from your class quests. There is little necessity to become a crafter.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

What's the overall opinion on ASTs these days? I resubbed over the weekend, and have been exploring the content that's new to me. I read up on the class changes. AST has had a few nice tweaks, but I'm bouncing between WHM and AST and it still feels like WHM is playing easy-mode.

And out of curiosity, how are SCHs? Mine's still 51 or something, and I never had a ton of experience with it at 50. I imagine the ideal healing duo is still WHM/SCH.

AST is pretty solid now as a replacement for WHM. It still has some design problems but overall handles fine in all content in this game currently. I have solo healed the first 3 savage turns and thordan ex as AST if that is any kind of benchmark to you.

SCH is pretty much mandatory in any 2 healer setup.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Agraya posted:

AST is pretty solid now as a replacement for WHM. It still has some design problems but overall handles fine in all content in this game currently. I have solo healed the first 3 savage turns and thordan ex as AST if that is any kind of benchmark to you.

SCH is pretty much mandatory in any 2 healer setup.

What prevents AST from replacing a SCH?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Drizvolta posted:

You'll get gear as rewards every 5 levels from your class quests. There is little necessity to become a crafter.

Plus anything you could craft is already on the auction house at a competitive price.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

LordNat posted:

What prevents AST from replacing a SCH?

Scholars have a ~200 potency / 3s, always on, free smart targeting healer that they can move around as necessary.

Astrologians have Synastry.

Ignoring any difference in damage, Astrologian not having a fairy craters their ability to replace a Scholar one-for-one.

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 30, 2015

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Scholars are a dps class that has some emergency heals.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Belzac posted:

You mean Selene is a healer that brings a DPS.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Selene is a dps buff battery that sometimes accidentally casts embrace on a target that isn't getting overhealed. Mostly not though.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Niton posted:

Scholars have a ~200 potency / 3s, always on, free smart targeting healer that they can move around as necessary.

Astrologians have Synastry.

Ignoring any difference in damage, Astrologian not having a fairy craters their ability to replace a Scholar one-for-one.

So kind of the same problem that Tanks have? They just don't do the job as well as a Warrior?

Belzac posted:

I say more or less the same thing about my Warrior. I am a DPS that can take hits.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Which crafting and/or gathering class has the best storyline and/or best looking gear rewards? I've got a paltry 30 CUL but I could be persuaded into other directions for if/when I ever pick it up again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ApplesandOranges posted:

Which crafting and/or gathering class has the best storyline and/or best looking gear rewards? I've got a paltry 30 CUL but I could be persuaded into other directions for if/when I ever pick it up again.

Best storyline I guess would be armorer or weaver. For gear rewards, it's kind of limited. The level 50 rewards you the relic 'weapon' of each crafting class, as well as 1 choice of the classes' ilvl 55 gear. I mean, you can look like a chef if you go CUL, but you can only equip it as a CUL, which kind of sucks.

edit: if you get CUL up to level 37, it will make leveling up the rest of your classes a breeze with steady hand 2.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

seiferguy posted:

Best storyline I guess would be armorer or weaver.

Look at this guy who somehow forgot the last cutscene of goldsmith (50)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Meiteron posted:

Its good but weaver is good throughout.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Fishing has the only storyline that extends outside of leveling quests. You literally save all the fish in the ocean. Nothing can compete.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

seiferguy posted:

I've hit 60 on PLD and DRK, and am working on WAR right now (level 32, mainly to help my friend who's DPSing get through dungeons), and I can say that both DRK and WAR are infinitely more fun than PLD. DRK's managing of MP is pretty fun, and they hold aggro so well that you can play around with your DPS combos. PLDs essentially are predictable. A rage of halone combo, then a goring blade combo, and then a royal authority combo if you're holding aggro pretty well, then repeat, while throwing in the occasional oGCD of Spirit's Within and Circle of Scorn (oh I guess shield swipe is oGCD too). PLDs attract the worst kind of players, too - if you ever do an official forum safari and read the tank threads where people have legit gripes about PLD, the staunch defenders of PLD usually have the worst opinions of all.

I haven't tried out DRK, but I feel that I have more fun with PLD compared to WAR. The animations feel smoother, and having to worry less about keeping your two different debuffs (or three I guess with Fracture) up mean that you can learn to focus on the mechanics of the fight more clearly. Feeling like you can survive for days is also great. WAR is also good fun (and has a better storyline), but it doesn't feel as fluid as I would like for a tank class.

I do feel like they haven't quite worked out what to do with Paladin MP though. It's almost never an issue, which makes it kind of a waste. At least let me use it to power up my attacks in Sword Oath or something.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

I haven't tried out DRK, but I feel that I have more fun with PLD compared to WAR. The animations feel smoother, and having to worry less about keeping your two different debuffs (or three I guess with Fracture) up mean that you can learn to focus on the mechanics of the fight more clearly. Feeling like you can survive for days is also great. WAR is also good fun (and has a better storyline), but it doesn't feel as fluid as I would like for a tank class.

I do feel like they haven't quite worked out what to do with Paladin MP though. It's almost never an issue, which makes it kind of a waste. At least let me use it to power up my attacks in Sword Oath or something.

I would be curious how you feel DRK plays when you try it and get a few levels in. I felt very similarly to you when the tank split was PLD vs WAR.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

This is 100% what DRK does.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
If one is thinking about focusing on Arcanist / SMN / SCH, what would be good cross skills to get from early levels, say under lv 20 for now?

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

raging strikes, cleric stance, protect and aero

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

The Grimace posted:

The specifics behind a lot of the backroom issues of FF12's development are still kind of hush-hush. The general idea seems to be that Vaan was added fairly early into development, but the actual script for the main story wasn't terribly rewritten from Matsuno's original vision. The game starts off with Vaan wanting to be a sky pirate and then as soon as everyone leaves Rabanastre, it goes full into the Princess Ashe storyline, turning Vaan into a completely ancillary character. He quips up here and there like you said, but he never actually does anything to strengthen his own character development... and Penello just gets kidnapped, that's the extent of her character.

Then, at some point Matsuno had a physical and mental breakdown, forcing him to leave the project. Hiroshi Minagawa and Hiroyuki Ito stepped in after that, but it's hard to say how much they changed of the game's actual story. They are both very competent people though: Minagawa, having worked on every other Ivalice title but Revenant Wings, and Ito being the creator of the ATB and one of the driving forces behind FFs VI and IX. At the end of the day though, I would really have liked to have seen what Matsuno's original plan for XII was before the draft was changed and he was forced from the project due to extreme pressure.

I never felt like Vaan is the main character/protagonist of XII. Point of view character, sure, but Ashe and Balthier are definitely the protagonists of that story.

Once that clicked into place in my head, it made me view XII in a very different way since having those two types of character not be all wrapped up into one role is something that game stories almost never do, and the way it's done in 12 is actually pretty interesting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black_Oni 165 posted:

If one is thinking about focusing on Arcanist / SMN / SCH, what would be good cross skills to get from early levels, say under lv 20 for now?

Just getting Arcanist/SMN/SCH is going to require you to earn most of your cross skills already. The only class that doesn't include AFAIK is archer, so you can go look at the 3 archer skills and decide how badly you want them. :v: Hawk's eye is useless for casters so it'd only be for quelling strikes which you probably don't need.

E: Until 30 you aren't an ARC, SMN, or SCH. Just earning those jobs requires 30 in one and 15 in another. There's a lot of overlap between those 3.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 1, 2015

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Later on you'll still be expected to get Stoneskin for SCH, Quelling Strikes for SMN, and Swiftcast for both.

(And, really, you'll want Swiftcast anyway.)

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

TheRagamuffin posted:

Later on you'll still be expected to get Stoneskin for SCH

Not really. Adlo shields for more, casts faster, doubles on a crit, and has a heal attached to it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ryanbomber posted:

Not really. Adlo shields for more, casts faster, doubles on a crit, and has a heal attached to it.

There are a few fringe cases of usefulness, but unless you're trying to cheese Ramuh EX or pvping, you can definitely play Scholar for your entire career without ever feeling like you need Stoneskin.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Ryanbomber posted:

They also stack.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Meiteron posted:

While the story of Albi the racist Mammet is quite touching, the Weaver guild leader is a giant Roe man in a feathered top hat, and this is how Weaver starts off:

It only gets better from there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also the most apt description of crafting, condensed into a single screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ryanbomber posted:

You stack adlo and stoneskin so you can stay in cleric stance long enough for a 3 dot bane and a shadow flare on the biggest trash spawns.

Kinda useless but it looks like fun.

• Locked thread