Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
My favorite part of SCG coverage this weekend was when people were running their cantrips or Deathrite Shamans into Chalice on 1 just to see if their opponent would miss the trigger (and even better when they did miss the trigger).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's not the card we deserve but it's the card we need

Much like Twin :colbert:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Ramos posted:

Punishing Abzan

Some guy just won with a non-blue deck. I know they call it Abzan, but it has a nice mix of white hate bears and the Jund advantage engine.

This is basically just aggro loam. Very far from new. My miscuts deck is aggro loam and I've been playing it for over a year.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Devor posted:

My favorite part of SCG coverage this weekend was when people were running their cantrips or Deathrite Shamans into Chalice on 1 just to see if their opponent would miss the trigger (and even better when they did miss the trigger).

The storm players weren't just trying to cheat, it gets the cards out of their hands to enable Infernal Tutor.

The guy who played miracles in the top 4 plays at the same shop as me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

little munchkin posted:

The storm players weren't just trying to cheat, it gets the cards out of their hands to enable Infernal Tutor.

As far as I know it's not "cheating" even if it works; it's not as though casting the spell into Chalice is an illegal act. Not going to say it isn't a dick move though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

little munchkin posted:

The guy who played miracles in the top 4 plays at the same shop as me.

Playing a spell into a Chalice with that spell's CMC isn't cheating. The Chalice player is allowed to miss their trigger.

Edit: It used to be something you could get punished for, but that changed a while ago.

JerryLee posted:

As far as I know it's not "cheating" even if it works; it's not as though casting the spell into Chalice is an illegal act. Not going to say it isn't a dick move though.

You're not required to play your opponent's deck for them. That's why the rules were changed. We had this conversation a while ago when Joe Lossett won a match in the top 4 of something or other because his opponent missed his Sulfuric Vortex trigger.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 30, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

Playing a spell into a Chalice with that spell's CMC isn't cheating. The Chalice player is allowed to miss their trigger.

Edit: It used to be something you could get punished for, but that changed a while ago.

You're not required to play your opponent's deck for them. That's why the rules were changed. We had this conversation a while ago when Joe Lossett won a match in the top 4 of something or other because his opponent missed his Sulfuric Vortex trigger.

How is that cheating at all? Sometimes you run stuff into Chalice just to get cards in your yard for Delve or Threshold or to increase storm...

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Aren't you only allowed to miss beneficial triggers though, and can't beneficial change? I seem to recall some discussion about forgetting bob's trigger when you're low vs. when you're not or something.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Punshing Rock isn't anything that new though. :confused:

Sadly we can't call this Punishing my junk since we can't have fun names anymore.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

alansmithee posted:

Aren't you only allowed to miss beneficial triggers though, and can't beneficial change? I seem to recall some discussion about forgetting bob's trigger when you're low vs. when you're not or something.

That was a policy that was in place for a very short time a few years ago. It has since evolved into the present policy.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dr. Stab posted:

That was a policy that was in place for a very short time a few years ago. It has since evolved into the present policy.

I guess I'm confused then, I know they were talking yesterday about one of the outs for the storm player in the semifinals being to put his opponent within range of dying to confidant, couldn't he just "forget" that trigger then?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

alansmithee posted:

I guess I'm confused then, I know they were talking yesterday about one of the outs for the storm player in the semifinals being to put his opponent within range of dying to confidant, couldn't he just "forget" that trigger then?

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2013/06/tournament-tuesday-dark-confidant-at-competitive-rel/

tl:dr if you miss it, your opponent can call a judge and have the trigger put on the stack.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

alansmithee posted:

It's your job to keep track of your own triggers. Your opponent doesn't have to (though they can). Intentionally "forgetting" your triggers is cheating and will get you disqualified.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Not really magic related but I know a bunch of goons in here are from Seattle and area. I'm stuck here on a 13 hour layover, what should I check out?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Today's Saffron Olive video is either trolling or he's getting to Kevin Crimin levels of not reading the cards or even attempting to pronounce them correctly. Match 2 in the Emeria deck video features "Sky Husser" vs. "Sierra Ascendant."

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

JerryLee posted:

The storm players could also simply be playing spells into the chalice to push up the storm count anyways, not just necessarily trying to get a spell to resolve.

It really shouldn't be seen as a dick move in my opinion. At competitive REL it is the responsibility of the person who played the Chalice, and at regular its a prime learning opportunity for those who want to play such a card.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
During what I consider my most skill testing victory, casting things into chalice to get young pyromancer triggers won the game.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mikujin posted:

Not really magic related but I know a bunch of goons in here are from Seattle and area. I'm stuck here on a 13 hour layover, what should I check out?

Pike place is a fun touristy thing and there's lots of good restaurants nearby, and its close to where the light rail so you can get back to the airport pretty quickly(ish).

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped
I managed to beat Chalice on 1 and Chalice on 2 in Modern by sticking a Pyromancer Ascension after Chalice for 1, firing spells into the chalices to turn on the ascension, then going off with Past in Flames just using the copied spells.

Modern storm was such a fun and interesting deck to play before they printed Eidolon.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

alansmithee posted:

The important distinction here is that the opponent controls the Chalice trigger, and it's his job to remember it.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Boco_T posted:

Today's Saffron Olive video is either trolling or he's getting to Kevin Crimin levels of not reading the cards or even attempting to pronounce them correctly. Match 2 in the Emeria deck video features "Sky Husser" vs. "Sierra Ascendant."

His Tibalt videos from last week were painful to listen because I cringed every time he said Tibalt. I'm curious where he's from, to see if his unique pronunciations are a regional thing or just coming from someone who doesn't care how they sound.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

I'm pretty sure there are no legal moves you can make which are considered cheating, although legal moves can occasionally stray into unsportsmanlike conduct or stalling (e.g. activating Sensei's Divining Top 5 times a turn).

NivMizzet posted:

His Tibalt videos from last week were painful to listen because I cringed every time he said Tibalt. I'm curious where he's from, to see if his unique pronunciations are a regional thing or just coming from someone who doesn't care how they sound.

There's actually at least a fair degree of disagreement on the proper pronunciation of the Shakespearean character's name. It's an archaic variant on Theobald, which itself is somewhat archaic.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 30, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure there are no legal moves you can make which are considered cheating, although legal moves can occasionally stray into unsportsmanlike conduct or stalling (e.g. activating Sensei's Divining Top 5 times a turn).

There's actually at least a fair degree of disagreement on the proper pronunciation of the Shakespearean character's name. It's an archaic variant on Theobald, which itself is somewhat archaic.

Cheating is when a player 1) commits an infraction 2) intentionally 3) for advantage. That's what it takes. If that infraction is slow play, then the infraction isn't USC - Cheating, it's USC - Stalling, but both are a DQ.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Was there any kind of word put out from R&D from the couple of leaks that were supposedly from Oath that popped up a week or so ago. The new basic land, Kozilek, and the other new land? Or were those revealed to be fake?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Boco_T posted:

Reminds me of Paul Cheon not knowing how to pronounce "bestow", which he kept saying beast-ow (like, "ow" that hurts) on streams.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Was there any kind of word put out from R&D from the couple of leaks that were supposedly from Oath that popped up a week or so ago. The new basic land, Kozilek, and the other new land? Or were those revealed to be fake?

They're not going to comment on leaks, but Maro's been dancing around it on his blog quite a bit which implies they're real. The most recent Uncharted Realms ended with Kozilek emerging as well.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

They never comment on leaks. The one and only time they did was when the whole godbook got leaked, people got banned for it and that was the reason why. Even then I'm not sure they made a statement on it beforehand. They don't publically acknowledge leaks because it just encourages it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am still surprised so many people are calling the leaks fakes. We live in a time where the real leaks outnumber the fake ones by a good margin. Its time to give MTGS leaks the benefit of the doubt folks.

Strange times we live in.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Reminds me of Paul Cheon not knowing how to pronounce "bestow", which he kept saying beast-ow (like, "ow" that hurts) on streams.

Didn't some pro player get really frustrated with the word "Bivouac" last year?

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Angry Grimace posted:

That's fair, I've just never heard it pronounced that way before, especially at an actual play.

Angry Grimace posted:

They're not going to comment on leaks, but Maro's been dancing around it on his blog quite a bit which implies they're real. The most recent Uncharted Realms ended with Kozilek emerging as well.

Yeah, he's been doing some pretty obvious winking and nudging with things like commenting that he can't comment on unofficial spoilers the day that the leaks came out and hinting that we will get a new type of mana eventually but it won't be a variation of snow mana.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
sperling got mad at bivouac, because he's a grown man

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

sperling got mad at bivouac, because he's a grown man

matt spergin'

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm watching the lsv Sunday stream where he tries out Pauper and lol why haven't they banned cloud of fairies yet

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

netcat posted:

I'm watching the lsv Sunday stream where he tries out Pauper and lol why haven't they banned cloud of fairies yet

That card is infuriating, especially with spellstutter sprite. It requires you to have pyroblast or counterspell to function, or out threat them with a strategy like elves. I've been playing delverfiend, and occasionally I beat mono-U delver by baiting them into countering a preordain so I can blow a temur battle rage and kill them, but it is a bitch.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

jassi007 posted:

They never comment on leaks. The one and only time they did was when the whole godbook got leaked, people got banned for it and that was the reason why. Even then I'm not sure they made a statement on it beforehand. They don't publically acknowledge leaks because it just encourages it.

Maro also wrote two different articles about the leaked Timeshifted card and their lawsuit against rancored_elf.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I really hope he means it when he suggests this won't be Snow2.0 because that would just.... suck. I think I've come to the conclusion that I really hope this is a new, permanent templating change for colorless mana production. What are the other options? My comedy option would be that it is basically snow mana again, a psuedo-sixth color, but it can be used as any color if used to cast colorless spells, ie Devoid, because that's really the only way it doesn't both completely blow for limited and create a giant mechanical and design disconnect between it and BFZ

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

Boco_T posted:

As much as I love his videos, any time there's a game with a Titan (Frost, Primal... whatever), I get a little squicked out when he pronounces it as "tieIN". I mean come on dude, there's a big T right there in the middle of the word!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Maro also wrote two different articles about the leaked Timeshifted card and their lawsuit against rancored_elf.

I really wonder what that lawsuit settled for. WOTC's case was absurdly meritless and Maro's article on it was pretty gross. I can't even fathom what they expected some random dude to pay them (he couldn't even really afford a lawyer, he literally got another MTGS member to just sort of defend him for free).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I really wonder what that lawsuit settled for. WOTC's case was absurdly meritless and Maro's article on it was pretty gross. I can't even fathom what they expected some random dude to pay them (he couldn't even really afford a lawyer, he literally got another MTGS member to just sort of defend him for free).

If they don't make it into a huge hassle for the guy, even if they don't make money off it, they basically encourage people to do it. If the internet points do not have a significant cost to the leaker, then they'll leak all day errday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

If they don't make it into a huge hassle for the guy, even if they don't make money off it, they basically encourage people to do it. If the internet points do not have a significant cost to the leaker, then they'll leak all day errday.

Except what that guy did wasn't even necessarily illegal, they just strong-armed some random dude who couldn't afford to fight back to prove a point, when the actual solution was to figure out who was sending this guy card info and loving fire them. It's gross.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 1, 2015

• Locked thread