Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I deal with FNIHB (First Nations and Inuit Health Branch) on the regular. It is The Worst. They seem to make decisions on medication coverage based on cost and not on medical necessity. They send multiple requests for information for the same drug before covering it, the patient getting sicker all the while. They claim to be concerned about opioid abuse on reserves, but won't cover topical antiinflammatories which are one of the most effective (and cheapest) ways to treat pain with non-addictive substances. They are an utterly opaque bureaucracy that essentially has no way for a physician to call and advocate for a patient's care.

Sadly, FNIHB is entirely in keeping with Canada's longstanding tradition of providing substandard care and services to its First Nations population.

Granted, I only started dealing with them in 2008, so it'll be interesting to see what happens now that Health Canada is run by someone other than Team Harper.

Also the CRA is just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PT6A posted:

I just had to deal with the CRA for some small questions about my tax return, and I don't understand why they get such a bad rap. They were exceedingly helpful and pleasant -- far more than the average "businessperson" I have to deal with -- and my issue was resolved quickly with minimal waiting on hold.

Maybe the government actually should run more things...

Every time I call them they always sound really thrilled that I'm actually calling them about HST or a business number. Maybe it's because I'm calling in October or November and not, you know, April 19th.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I deal with FNIHB (First Nations and Inuit Health Branch) on the regular. It is The Worst. They seem to make decisions on medication coverage based on cost and not on medical necessity. They send multiple requests for information for the same drug before covering it, the patient getting sicker all the while. They claim to be concerned about opioid abuse on reserves, but won't cover topical antiinflammatories which are one of the most effective (and cheapest) ways to treat pain with non-addictive substances. They are an utterly opaque bureaucracy that essentially has no way for a physician to call and advocate for a patient's care.

Sadly, FNIHB is entirely in keeping with Canada's longstanding tradition of providing substandard care and services to its First Nations population.

Granted, I only started dealing with them in 2008, so it'll be interesting to see what happens now that Health Canada is run by someone other than Team Harper.

Also the CRA is just fine.

Is the FNIHB an actual federal agency or is it one of those sleight of hand things the Cons set up to transfer staff off Federal ledgers and onto the province/territory/First Nations/Someone Else? Some of my nurse friends got caught up in that poo poo but I don't I don't recall the details.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
While we're on CRA chat, I've always wondered:

If you don't file your annual tax return, but have had the same single employer for the entire period and have actually paid all of your taxes through that employer, what's going to happen? Are they going to track you down, audit you, then hand you your owed return at the end of it? Maybe charge you for the cost of the audit? Or can you just go on not filing your returns ever, waiving any deductions you might be entitled to?

The only thing they mention anywhere is that there are penalties for not declaring income. I can't find any details on what happens if you don't file, but you paid enough tax.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

mojo1701a posted:

I have to call them about once a week for my job, and the only real problems I have with them is that their business inquiries phone number is busy half the time. I remember reading it was from cutbacks, but other than that, it's usually smooth sailing.

Every public facing government operation got cut to the bone, it's very sad.

Hexigrammus posted:

Is the FNIHB an actual federal agency or is it one of those sleight of hand things the Cons set up to transfer staff off Federal ledgers and onto the province/territory/First Nations/Someone Else? Some of my nurse friends got caught up in that poo poo but I don't I don't recall the details.

It is but it looks like it got reorganized at some point for the Kelowna Accord but never got finished.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

sliderule posted:

While we're on CRA chat, I've always wondered:

If you don't file your annual tax return, but have had the same single employer for the entire period and have actually paid all of your taxes through that employer, what's going to happen? Are they going to track you down, audit you, then hand you your owed return at the end of it? Maybe charge you for the cost of the audit? Or can you just go on not filing your returns ever, waiving any deductions you might be entitled to?

The only thing they mention anywhere is that there are penalties for not declaring income. I can't find any details on what happens if you don't file, but you paid enough tax.

A few years ago I put myself in a position where I was doing 4 years worth of returns at once, they don't care unless you owe. They'll even do them in order and carry through any adjustments on their end. I've never been audited.

I was probably a huge pain in someone's rear end that day though.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I've done the 5 years at once thing before without penalty. I'm wondering what will happen if I just never file until I have other income to declare.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ottawa-Vanier MP Mauril Bélanger has ALS. Will stay as mp for now but dropped out of race for speaker

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

CBC.ca has temporarily suspended all commenting on stories related to indigenous peoples. :canada:

Office of the GM and Editor in Chief posted:

We've noticed over many months that these stories draw a disproportionate number of comments that cross the line and violate our guidelines. Some of the violations are obvious, some not so obvious; some comments are clearly hateful and vitriolic, some are simply ignorant. And some appear to be hate disguised as ignorance (i.e., racist sentiments expressed in benign language).

This comes at the same time CBC News has made a concerted effort to connect with indigenous communities in order to improve our journalism and better reflect these communities to a national audience. The success of our Aboriginal unit and our investigative journalism around missing and murdered indigenous women are just two examples of that commitment.

We don't want violations of our guidelines by a small minority of our commenters to derail our good work or alienate our audience. So we're taking a pause to see if we can put some structure around this. We will reopen comments as soon as possible.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

colonel_korn posted:

CBC.ca has temporarily suspended all commenting on stories related to indigenous peoples. :canada:

Should've taken the obvious alternative.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
loving right on.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

Good. Internet news comments are a blight on the world.

Also the CBC really hosed up when they did away with their old commenting system (where you could vote comments up or down and anyone reading the article could vote with or without an account) and replaced it with the current Facebook-style one (where you can only 'like' a post with no option to vote it down, and can only do so if you have an account). It used to be that overtly bigoted comments would get voted down overwhelmingly despite having hundreds of positive votes, and relatively reasonable ones would rise to the top. Nowadays the bigoted ones generally win out because bigots are disproportionately likely to make an account and there's no way to move a comment if it can obtain a number of likes. They went from having one of the sanest comments sections of any news site to one of the worst.

btw that story also works as an effective summary of how the structure of your electoral system can influence the result :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQnd5ilKx2Y

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

flakeloaf posted:

Should've taken the obvious alternative.

Death, by guillotine.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Canada on Friday said any carbon reduction targets agreed to at the negotiations should not be legally binding.

Now that's #RealChange! :obama:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

THC posted:

Canada on Friday said any carbon reduction targets agreed to at the negotiations should not be legally binding.

Now that's #RealChange! :obama:

Way to post the whole story

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cop21-canada-climate-change-deal-1.3341423

They are supporting that stance to keep the US in as a legally binding target would never make it through congress and would kill it.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Canada could take the position that the targets should be binding and then agree to nonbinding targets after the US gets them. No skin off our nose. America can negotiate nonbinding targets just as easily without our help.

Instead we're like "targets have to be nonbinding because ~reasons~"

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
When I worked at a loan centre, I had to call the CRA a lot during tax time. Every one of them was incredibly pleasant, knowledgeable and very patient.

Someone even filed another T4 slip under my SIN but with a different name. They looked at it, looked at my history, and told me that they would remove it.

They are awesome.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

Canada could take the position that the targets should be binding and then agree to nonbinding targets after the US gets them. No skin off our nose. America can negotiate nonbinding targets just as easily without our help.

Instead we're like "targets have to be nonbinding because ~reasons~"

Everything you need to know about Liberal's climate change strategy is concisely summed up at the end of this article.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/11/28/wynne-shares-concerns-about-medical-marijuana-vaping-rules.html posted:

“We have to get it right ... there’s no Planet B.”

Wynne will return from Paris after two days and head back across the Atlantic next weekend to spend more time at the conference.

“We can go to Paris with a strong voice,” she said of the Canadian contingent. “This is going to be a hard-fought agreement.”

The government will buy carbon offsets to account for the jet travel of the Ontario delegation.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That's one heck of a title you've got there

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

angerbeet posted:

That's one heck of a title you've got there

Harsh but fair, I'd say.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Its pretty accurate.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

sliderule posted:

Yeah, I've done the 5 years at once thing before without penalty. I'm wondering what will happen if I just never file until I have other income to declare.

Unless you get audited or file, nothing. If you have over or underpaid and on of those happens, then depending on which direction things lie there are different issues. If you've underpaid, then there are late fees that get added and the whole thing is subject to interest. If you've overpaid, I believe the time between when a given year's filing and the time you file does not accrue interest on that sum.

Because this reminded me of it: Is/Was there an issue where corporations were deliberately overpaying taxes, then refusing refunds because the money was accruing interest? I seem to remember this being a thing that came up several years back but I cannot find any relevant articles about it, so I could very well be misremembering.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Even tying news column comments to your Facebook account seems to have a higher count of bigots than rational people. I guess the bigots just don't give a poo poo that their real name is posted by their comments whereas the rational people are more hesitant to post since they are linked to it by name.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wasn't that one of his campaign promises?

And I for one, find arguments IN ALL CAPS to be extra convincing.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Even tying news column comments to your Facebook account seems to have a higher count of bigots than rational people. I guess the bigots just don't give a poo poo that their real name is posted by their comments whereas the rational people are more hesitant to post since they are linked to it by name.
I would not be surprised to learn there is an organized effort (or multiple efforts) to post and upvote anti-FN hate comments. Within minutes of a story about FN being published they are all over it, and the apparent consensus is so much more extreme right-wing than any other CBC comment threads.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I posted about this a while ago but any article on CBC has a bizarrely disproportionate amount of distasteful hatred. It's gross but knowing Canadians I think it's less astroturfing and more so genuine racism.

Canadians really, really hate aboriginals.

Also poor people, the mentally ill, sex workers and chronically ill and/or disabled people.

Canadians will do incredible mental gymnastics and hand wring in order to justify why these people should be summarily executed for their crimes against the middle class.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/emmaloop/whats-this-canadian-cabinet-minister-in-a-pretend-choke-hold#.tiGnkR7yVW

I highly suggest loving around with this.

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

cowofwar posted:

I posted about this a while ago but any article on CBC has a bizarrely disproportionate amount of distasteful hatred. It's gross but knowing Canadians I think it's less astroturfing and more so genuine racism.

Canadians really, really hate aboriginals.

Also poor people, the mentally ill, sex workers and chronically ill and/or disabled people.

Canadians will do incredible mental gymnastics and hand wring in order to justify why these people should be summarily executed for their crimes against the middle class.

Yeah, I gotta agree: you don't need an organized movement to make a bunch of Canadians say insanely messed up poo poo about natives.

I've had conversations where people - sometimes even well educated people, who seemed super progressive on every other issue we had ever talked about before - unironically threw out the phrase 'plains niggers' when the topic of the first nations/metis came up.
This is an event in my life that has happened more than once. In more than one province.

It's super depressing but it's hard to overstate just how much Canadians hate aboriginal people.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Maybe it's time you all came to terms with the truth that all Canadians being awful pieces of poo poo??

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
*drives into any small town in Canada*

*asks the gas station attendant where the fishing is at*

*learn some new racial epithets*

~~~

Thank god natives aren't buying houses in Vancouver, or there would be death squads in the streets.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Maybe it's time you all came to terms with the truth that all Canadians Humans being awful pieces of poo poo??

C'mon CI, lets be fair here.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
No really most people elsewhere with the exception of Australia and England are really p cool. Canadians have got to be the most arrogant sacks of poo poo I have ever had to interact with.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cultural Imperial posted:

Maybe it's time you all came to terms with the truth that all Canadians being awful pieces of poo poo??

gently caress MAINLAND CANADA

its okay im ethnic british columbian

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CBC projects Liberal majority government in NL :lol:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Red October lives on~

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Wrap it the gently caress up Conservailures

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

THC posted:

I would not be surprised to learn there is an organized effort (or multiple efforts) to post and upvote anti-FN hate comments. Within minutes of a story about FN being published they are all over it, and the apparent consensus is so much more extreme right-wing than any other CBC comment threads.

Most of these stories have no more than one or two hundred likes for the top comments. I don't really care what a few hundred idiots think. I am somewhat concerned that their dumb opinions float to the top of the comments section for many more impressionable fools to read. It would be nice if they brought back down voting by unregistered users but disabling comments is fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gus Hobbleton posted:

gently caress MAINLAND CANADA

its okay im ethnic british columbian

As a vancouver islander I can get behind this sentiment.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 1, 2015