Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I wonder if anything funny has happened with Doobie's Dog House in the past...6 months? I can't remember exactly when the topic was banned from GBS.

He's now doing breakfast and fixing cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eonwe posted:

I don't know about brocolli cat but I think calling anyone that watches anime a pedo trivializes a very real and disturbing thing
I don't understand how it trivializes anime.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't understand how it trivializes anime.

you honestly make me laugh more than probably anyone else on SA

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Doobie is the best.

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
Beet Wagon can you tell me your thoughts on the Ryan Adams cover of 1989, and also which is the best non-Tay-Tay version of Shake It Off

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Doobie is the best.

He's going to close his diner at 2pm? lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

one punch man owns so loving hard

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Imagine writing 800 words to defend fart shitizen's ehonour

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you all owe it to yourselves to watch this 2 minute one punch man clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qh5I0iNbYM

he is sad because he lost track of time and is missing out on sweet deals at the supermarket

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

you all owe it to yourselves to watch this 2 minute one punch man clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qh5I0iNbYM

he is sad because he lost track of time and is missing out on sweet deals at the supermarket

its heavily edited to just show the battle parts

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Meanwhile, in Elite...

http://gfycat.com/AgileUncommonDogwoodtwigborer

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Wait for it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIuwuUSZqYY

And some nice shots..

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

bald gnome error posted:

Beet Wagon can you tell me your thoughts on the Ryan Adams cover of 1989, and also which is the best non-Tay-Tay version of Shake It Off

Wow I came back to check this thread at just the right time!

I think I get what Ryan Adams was going for, I'm just not sure I like it. It certainly sounds really good, but to me it seems almost like it arbitrarily changes the tone of the album. I heard an interview where Adams explained what he was shooting for with the cover, so I understand it's somewhat intentional, but it's really hard to listen to his cover of say... Blank Space for example. Hearing what was basically a send-up of all the poo poo people have said about Taylor over the years played straight and tragic is weird and incongruous for me. I also don't dig his cover of Shake It Off, but I think that's only because I love the tempo of the original so much. In short, I can't fault anyone for liking Ryan's covers because they are beautiful (and I mean Taylor likes them), but they aren't for me.

My two favorite versions of Shake It Off that aren't the TSwift version (or MLG airhorn remix) are these:

Postmodern Jukebox ft. Von Smith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv94swj4sjo

and this one by Walk off the Earth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6rv2ZC3Kc

Both of which I think manage to take a pretty unique look at the song without completely losing the tone, even though the one by Walk off the Earth sticks a little closer to the source material.

EDIT because I can't shut up about Taylor Swift: I think the Postmodern Jukebox guys really nailed it with their cover. There's a ton of really good covers out there by some really talented artists, including some awesome a capella ones and such, but the song translates so well to that sort of big-band extravagance. PMJ has a lot of misses IMO, where they take a song and translate it into a genre where it really doesn't belong, just for the weirdness factor (like imagine Shake It Off as blues or whatever), but they got that one right. Plus the dude that was singing crushed it.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 1, 2015

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Ghostlight posted:

As a New Zealander the butt of most Australian jokes I wouldn't agree that they are.

fixed

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Berious posted:

Imagine writing 800 words to defend fart shitizen's ehonour
...and Sandi's honor.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You know this is an incredibly simple gif but thinking about it something similar would have crashed SC 3 times in a row and the moment the 2 crafts actually interacted without crashing the client would cause the rover to glitch through the planet.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Oh yeah? Well Star Citizen's been doing that for a couple of months.

Granted, it's with buggies and pedestrians in ArcCorp but still. They did it first.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Space Engineers does all of the Elite stuff and more!

*Rocks back and forth engineeringly*

ideate
Aug 20, 2002
welp my friend who I told to get a refund but hasn't gave me his login for the ptu

I cannot get it to load at all

it's the best thing ever

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.

Dante80 posted:

Wait for it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIuwuUSZqYY

And some nice shots..

Coolies. I don't want to buy the game again with Horizons tho.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uwoes/ive_been_a_star_citizen_backer_for_over_2_years/cxie5eg

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

So I randomly just got an invite to the PTU. However, I sold my only Cutlass package to some twat months ago. I need some sort of package and ship to actually download it and play, right?

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

excellent words and videos re: one of Tay-Tay's best songs

Holy poo poo thank you for that Postmodern Jukebox cover, that is glorious (and the singer does totally loving knock it out of the park)

Also I kind of want to get PMs just to talk to you at extensive length about T-Swift :allears: like, example, the way covers handle that spoken word pause is REALLY interesting to me - I think a lot of people lose the charm of its badness by skipping it/wussing out on taking it on/altering it - and I'm curious on your take.

ok last Tay-Tay comment, this one for all y'alls: if you haven't watched the Rock lip-synch Shake It Off, you're missing out on some real joy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn3tUOJ9yv4

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

It is going to be such a glorious shitstorm when all these people paying for dreams wake up like they just did a week long bender in vegas

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Been bugging an EVE playing colleague to buy SC for months, he finally succumbed.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

you think I'd be habituated to this poo poo but I'm not.

Like even investing in Bitcoin, which is also retarded, at least makes sense from the perspective of "oh, this person thinks he's going to make alot of money at the end of this." You can't even say that in this case. All that money, including money he borrowed from his wife, going straight into Crobert's nose.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

This is the darkest part of humanity right here.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

He's gay? Oh.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

quote:

[–]SemiGaseousSnake 3 points 3 hours ago
Sounds like he hasn't played a real game in a long time

don't even need to write the jokes anymore

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

bald gnome error posted:

Holy poo poo thank you for that Postmodern Jukebox cover, that is glorious (and the singer does totally loving knock it out of the park)

Also I kind of want to get PMs just to talk to you at extensive length about T-Swift :allears: like, example, the way covers handle that spoken word pause is REALLY interesting to me - I think a lot of people lose the charm of its badness by skipping it/wussing out on taking it on/altering it - and I'm curious on your take.

ok last Tay-Tay comment, this one for all y'alls: if you haven't watched the Rock lip-synch Shake It Off, you're missing out on some real joy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn3tUOJ9yv4

I almost added the Rock lipsynch video but I was trying to hold myself to actual covers. It is actually amazing though.

I think you're spot on with the bit about the pause. A lot of people treat it as super technical it seems like, and you can almost hear them thinking "Okay two tenths of a second and then go again" where on the original it comes off as very organic. I'd rather they skip it though - in my opinion if you're not nailing that you're better off skipping it than half-assing it, because the song should still stand on its own if your cover is any good. What really gets me is her weird giggle after "I go on too many dates" and how so many people skip it (which is fine) but then put in some other weird noise so they can keep that empty half beat. For me it absolutely kills the cover, which is a shame cause it's usually about 24 seconds in. I don't mind if people skip it, because it's hard to emulate (trust me I try every morning on my way to work) but I think if you're gonna skip it you just do so entirely. If the person covering it can nail Taylor's weird little idiosyncrasies that's awesome, but the song is strong enough to stand on its own if they can't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E80kYswNxSE

This is a good example of what I mean. It's a pretty good cover but where Taylor does her laugh Megan leaves a half beat of dead air and fills it with a weird breathy "Hah, hah" and it throws the whole thing off. IMO.

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
if I can seriouspost for a moment to tie T-Swift back in here: one of the things I love about Shake It Off, and a lot of her other solid songs, is the sense of joy. For all her faults, the girl is having a hell of a lot of fun with life. She's going on adventures most people can't imagine. And it translates into her music, and other people sense that and run with it, and it's a cool fun thing to watch.

Star Citizens, when presented with the opportunity to dream a new universe and new lives for themselves, seem to create things that are utterly humorless and inane. Space Court, the absurd diagrams of resources and systems, the extensive documents and lore spun out by the diehards, even their defenses for SC and all this - it just feels like desperate grabs for "fun" at best. It's a castle in the sky crumbling, and they're scrambling to patch it with more clouds as fast as they can. It's honestly kind of depressing to watch in that regard - how many hours have these people wasted dreaming of being a Space Plumber when they could have been out doing things that brought them joy in the moment? That might bring other people joy?

I'm sure plenty of them would claim to be delighted, that they love the time spent waiting and dreaming, but it rings so hollow. There's more to life than this, Citizen :smith:

edit: lmbo hi Beet Wagon, guess we were typing at the same time. Star Citizen: Critical Analysis of Taylor Swift Covers

bald gnome error fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 1, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Demarolath posted:

Coolies. I don't want to buy the game again with Horizons tho.

So far the amount of content you get is well worth the money. You get a loyalty discount for pre-ordering if you have the base game.

I dunno. It's hard to take the "it's too much money" mentality seriously in the loving Star Citizen thread. :shrug:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

What was the third suit, and did you actually initiate that one?

I'm assuming that the first two were Allen. Knock once for yes, twice for no.

Yes, both were. He initiated both.

The third was me [finally] suing Huffman in CA.

It's all up on Nexis btw

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If I can seriouspost for a minute:

:gary:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Just thought of something: if you can balance rovers on ships in E:D, what are the odds they took into consideration rovers getting very close to stars? Surely there is some way to finangle a rover onto one of the larger ships and somehow catapulting it into a star, except rovers don't have heat death coded in so you can land on them and drive around :getin:

Of course, this would probably be so incredibly difficult it would be impossible since the rover would just fall off as soon as the ship started moving forward. Unless you can deploy rovers when not-landed, or trick the game into thinking you are landed or something. I pretty much judge space games by the ability to fling poo poo into gas giants/black holes/stars

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

everyone google image search anime food and post your favorite anime food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Justin Tyme posted:

Just thought of something: if you can balance rovers on ships in E:D, what are the odds they took into consideration rovers getting very close to stars? Surely there is some way to finangle a rover onto one of the larger ships and somehow catapulting it into a star, except rovers don't have heat death coded in so you can land on them and drive around :getin:

Of course, this would probably be so incredibly difficult it would be impossible since the rover would just fall off as soon as the ship started moving forward. Unless you can deploy rovers when not-landed, or trick the game into thinking you are landed or something.

http://gfycat.com/AgileUncommonDogwoodtwigborer

• Locked thread