Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have to constantly duplicate dynamic distribution lists to static ones because I have a CFO that can't handle not knowing on the fly who is in the distro. He even keeps an excel spreadsheet he made for himself of each dept to double check the static list against. In a meeting today I asked why we should keep the static distros around if he is just going to keep and excel spreadsheet anyway considering everyone else in the company likes the dynamic ones. His reply?

"Lets get rid of the dynamic ones so its less confusing."

Glad the CEO overruled that at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I get in today to "Hey the VPN was down all weekend what are you doing to make sure it stays up". Okay it's on site, and I was actually VPNed in on Wednesday and Friday. I pull up some logs I have a user connect to VPN then fail to start an RDP to a computer on Saturday (they shutdown their computer) same user on Sunday.

The user that complained and has a backlog of work successfully RDPed into her computer for 10 hours on Sunday and transferred 7MB of RDP. They clearly did something. Likely forgot they had the VPN open and woops better blame IT! I'm almost positive they were not actively doing work for that entire 10 hour window. She also connected to the VPN on Saturday but disconnected 10 minutes later.

I don't love the RDP into your work computer but they RDP using non company equipment and licencing. We should provide laptops for the 3-4 people that need it but that always gets shot down. Remote Desktop Server would make some sense but then I need to convince people to buy CALs when the current solution is free and working fine(except for when it isn't).

I also have a very nice graph of successful HTTP get requests. with 100% up time all weekend.

Do users really think they can blame IT for something and not have a solid case of logs to say they are wrong?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

pixaal posted:

Do users really think they can blame IT for something and not have a solid case of logs to say they are wrong?

You know the answer to this.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I get people who blame IT for poo poo as stupid as "I put my social security # into a fake bank website at home so why didn't you guys protect me" and literally had our CIO bitch at us to help this woman change all of her passwords.

The answer is yes. You can literally have logs that say "you are a loving retard because you clicked X" and its still ITs fault. SOMEHOW.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pixaal posted:

I get in today to "Hey the VPN was down all weekend what are you doing to make sure it stays up". Okay it's on site, and I was actually VPNed in on Wednesday and Friday. I pull up some logs I have a user connect to VPN then fail to start an RDP to a computer on Saturday (they shutdown their computer) same user on Sunday.

The user that complained and has a backlog of work successfully RDPed into her computer for 10 hours on Sunday and transferred 7MB of RDP. They clearly did something. Likely forgot they had the VPN open and woops better blame IT! I'm almost positive they were not actively doing work for that entire 10 hour window. She also connected to the VPN on Saturday but disconnected 10 minutes later.

Ok to clarify: Someone complained that the VPN was down all weekend. You discovered that they were connected to their machine for 10 hours yesterday. Their entire complaint was based on someone else who was unable to connect because they shut down their workstation for the weekend. In addition, this was a holiday weekend in the States.

Is this accurate?

mewse fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 30, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tigntink posted:

I get people who blame IT for poo poo as stupid as "I put my social security # into a fake bank website at home so why didn't you guys protect me" and literally had our CIO bitch at us to help this woman change all of her passwords.

The answer is yes. You can literally have logs that say "you are a loving retard because you clicked X" and its still ITs fault. SOMEHOW.

This is more of a consequence of some IT doofus saying the computers are secure and locked down.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
turns out one of our ERP devs turned off all transactional logging on all of our MSSQL servers because (reasons) without telling anyone. :psyboom:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

turns out one of our ERP devs turned off all transactional logging on all of our MSSQL servers because (reasons) without telling anyone. :psyboom:

WTF of the month. Why on earth would you do that?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

mewse posted:

Ok to clarify: Someone complained that the VPN was down all weekend. You discovered that they were connected to their machine for 10 hours yesterday. Their entire complaint was based on someone else who was unable to connect because they shut down their workstation for the weekend. In addition, this was a holiday weekend in the States.

Is this accurate?

Mostly, the other person I only mentioned because I saw they had connected. The other person didn't complain at all, and doesn't factor in other then other time points that someone else successfully connected to the VPN. I just thought it was funny that the person I would think would have complained about not being able to VPN in didn't say anything.

It proves the VPN was up on Saturday and a backpedal of "I wanted to do it Saturday but couldn't" doesn't make sense. (This person would totally do that).

Haven't heard anything else about it, for all I know they did and the CFO (the one who dumped this on me first thing) might be giving them a good no that's not accurate. I wish I had more data points of people actually connected to the VPN but what can you do.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Crowley posted:

WTF of the month. Why on earth would you do that?

Logs take up too much room. :pseudo:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Tell him logs are also your CYA and his is no longer covered.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DigitalMocking posted:

Turned off as in set them to Simple recovery mode? You still have transaction logging, the logs are just discarded on commit.

We use simple recovery mode for "unimportant" databases where we don't need point in time restores, and restoring to the latest nightly full backup is enough.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah simple mode isn't automatically a bad idea

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

You wouldn't believe how often I've heard this EXACT reason, over the years.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dick Trauma posted:

They're also entrapment.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ConfusedUs posted:

You wouldn't believe how often I've heard this EXACT reason, over the years.

Because disk is so much more expensive than even a single person's time.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

DigitalMocking posted:

"Logs are a performance liability so we disabled them. Now i need you to fix replication."

Dumbasses.

REAL DBA's put transaction logs on separate disks.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

nitrogen posted:

"Logs are a performance liability so we disabled them. Now i need you to fix replication."

Dumbasses.

REAL DBA's put transaction logs on separate disks.

Why... why would you put logs on your 10k+ RPM RAID10? That is totally why there is a RAID1 5400 RPM drive there, oh I guess the OS can go there too.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"I’m not able to log in – getting Invalid User Name or Password. Please advise."

Your username or password is incorrect, glad I could help.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Collateral Damage posted:

Turned off as in set them to Simple recovery mode? You still have transaction logging, the logs are just discarded on commit.

We use simple recovery mode for "unimportant" databases where we don't need point in time restores, and restoring to the latest nightly full backup is enough.

There are no transaction logs anywhere. At all. Zero, on production databases where point in time restores are critically important.

All my wtf.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
Also, a loving POX on any company that used/uses java for their control panels.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MisterOblivious posted:

I've tried to understand this but your username and avatar seem to be an accurate description of the problem.

Problems with dead VMs were troubleshooted by loading the VM onto a physical laptop to run Gparted or a Windows recovery console or whatever tool was deemed needed. There was no concept in this shop at the time of how you can do the same without a virtual-to-physical conversion.

Cloning a VM or taking a backup of it wasn't done with *right click --> clone* or *right click -> take snapshot*. Backups were taken and clones made by running Clonezilla, putting a copy of the VM onto an external hard drive, and then doing it again in reverse.

:smithicide:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I actually sat through a meeting when I first got here where, during a serious discussion, person A asked whetehr person B would sterilize the virtual disks of a VM that was being upgraded with WipeDrive. The virtual disk in question sat in a NetApp WAFL volume and was presented to the hypervisor with NFS. Person B presumably cited elementary virtualization and common storage appliance file layouts as knowledges / skills on his/her resume.

Edit: Long story short, virtual machines were troubleshot / repaired as though they were user laptops.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 1, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
We have a database application with a frontend that doesnt do any validation. So records get added every day required data missing. Important poo poo like client email and address.

Each week, a member of staff gets a report of all the records that were are missing data. She highlights the missing element on a piece of paper and sends it to the person who added the record so they can add the missing details.

Now the normal thing to do would be add form validation but because we are here, in this thread, we can't do that. Instead we want to blast the input user with an email as soon as the record is added.

Before we go any further, yes I know this is stupid. However this is the world and the office that we live in.

On SQL Server 2008, what can I use to detect when a record has been added, and validate what data is present\absent in the relevant tables? Is this idea so bad that it's worth telling management that it cannot be done?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Swink posted:

We have a database application with a frontend that doesnt do any validation. So records get added every day required data missing. Important poo poo like client email and address.

Each week, a member of staff gets a report of all the records that were are missing data. She highlights the missing element on a piece of paper and sends it to the person who added the record so they can add the missing details.

Now the normal thing to do would be add form validation but because we are here, in this thread, we can't do that. Instead we want to blast the input user with an email as soon as the record is added.

Before we go any further, yes I know this is stupid. However this is the world and the office that we live in.

On SQL Server 2008, what can I use to detect when a record has been added, and validate what data is present\absent in the relevant tables? Is this idea so bad that it's worth telling management that it cannot be done?

We have a similar problem (30 copies of the same data) because people won't select a contact/address that already exists, they just ram another one in there. Management won't force people to do it the right way (you can't slow down a customer service call with the 5 seconds it would take to see if the store/contact is already in the list) and the lovely app won't do it either.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Swink posted:

A trigger on the table insert? Look for data errors in the "inserted" table and fire off an email with the email stored procedures if they are found.

You could try adding the validation as some sort of constraints on the database tables, but I am not sure what that would do to your forms.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KennyTheFish posted:

A trigger on the table insert? Look for data errors in the "inserted" table and fire off an email with the email stored procedures if they are found.

Just because it can be dine that way doesn't mean it should be.

KennyTheFish posted:

You could try adding the validation as some sort of constraints on the database tables, but I am not sure what that would do to your forms.

If you make the columns NOT NULL you'll just end up with a bunch of . and - in the database then. If you try to add sensible constraints then people will still attempt to work around them by putting poo poo like no@address.com in there.

Really this (and the 30 copies of the same data) cannot be solved without changing user habits.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

DigitalMocking posted:

Also, a loving POX on any company that used/uses java for their control panels.
Paid a half million dollars for a SAN, can barely manage the loving thing.

Thanks EMC and Unisphere.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

dissss posted:

Really this (and the 30 copies of the same data) cannot be solved without changing user habits.

So you're saying it's impossible?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Swink posted:

So you're saying it's impossible?

Possible? Sure

Worthwhile? Absolutely not.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

dissss posted:

Possible? Sure

Worthwhile? Absolutely not.

I was more suggesting that our staff are untrainable which is why I'm going down this rabbit hole.

The thing is, we don't even analyze the data. We spent so many manhours chasing people and getting the details but management don't see value in analyzing what we collect.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Paid a half million dollars for a SAN, can barely manage the loving thing.

Thanks EMC and Unisphere.

Oddly enough, I was yelling about EMC when I wrote that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fortigate died again on me. gently caress them. This is the third time we've had one die since July. But at least now they are admitting a problem!

Don't use our features such as DHCP or logging! Piece of poo poo.

How can we get these fuckers to give us our money back? This was a $2,999 device. It sounds like they have the issue 'fixed' but still...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like all UTM devices are a piece of poo poo. I'm currently engaged in the refund dance with Sonicwall.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

poo poo I'm finding hilarious right now: Logitech's new logo.

From any kind of distance, it looks like a toilet manfacturer: "Lootech"

Edit: The g even looks like the lid and seat of a commode, with the lid up. Complete with a flushing handle!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Makes me think of when Mailchimp hosed their logo up

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I actually just got a new set of Looitech speakers last night, they sound great.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Makes me think of when Mailchimp hosed their logo up

What's wrong with it? I googled mail chimp logo controversy and got an article that praises it as one of the top ten logo redesigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It kinda looks like it says Mail Chump I guess.