Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a way to tell if I'm honing my knife wrong, and how? I haven't been able to get my Victorinox back to how it was from the factory. It doesn't help that my wife and roommate forget and put my knife in the dishwasher or in the drawer without the blade guard.

How long have you had it and how often do you use it? Especially with the fact that it got run through the dishwasher and was stored without protection, honing may not cut it and you may need to either get it professionally sharpened (easy, cheap), or sharpen it yourself (for sperglords).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've had it for maybe six months now. It's been washed maybe 3-4 times in the dishwasher. I almost always remember to clean it after I use it and store it myself. I use it a couple times a week at least, sometimes 4-5 times a week. Mostly cutting veggies, sometimes cutting chicken or pork. Also tofu sometimes, but I don't feel like that counts since you could cut that easily with a butter knife. The thing is I've only tried honing it a few times, and I wonder if I'm just not doing it enough to make up for the length of time I didn't hone it.

The rod has a rough side for sharpening, is that worth using or should I just see about getting it professionally sharpened?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Honing only straightens the very edge of the blade, it doesn't sharpen.

You need to get it sharpened, either A) professionally or B) learn to use a $30 AGPTek sharpener from Amazon

I think Victorinox comes from the factory with a 15° edge, which is not your typical 20° edge for western knives. Since it's not Japanese hardness I'd go with 20° when I got it resharpened.

You need to make sure it never goes in the dishwasher or stored somewhere where its edge can bang into other things

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If it's a metal rod the rough side isn't going to sharpen. It creates micro-serrations which are desirable sometimes but it's not a replacement for sharpening.

If you really want to bring it back to as sharp as it was a rod won't cut it but there's usually professional knife sharpening services all over the place for cheap. My local grocery store does it on Thursdays for example.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. It's a ceramic rod. I'll make sure to remind them about it as well. My roommate has never cared to know anything about the kitchen, and my wife just sticks everything in the dishwasher.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, thanks. It's a ceramic rod. I'll make sure to remind them about it as well. My roommate has never cared to know anything about the kitchen, and my wife just sticks everything in the dishwasher.
I posted an $18 sharpener in the previous page, but won't be able to test it out until the end of the month (it's shipping). I'll be testing it on a OXO stainless santoku. I'm anticipating receiving an actual good chef's knife for christmas this year from my parents, which has spurred my interest in sharpening.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

extravadanza posted:

I posted an $18 sharpener in the previous page, but won't be able to test it out until the end of the month (it's shipping). I'll be testing it on a OXO stainless santoku. I'm anticipating receiving an actual good chef's knife for christmas this year from my parents, which has spurred my interest in sharpening.

I'm anxious to see your review. The suction cup feet look more stable than the AGPTek's base

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Steve Yun posted:

I think Victorinox comes from the factory with a 15° edge, which is not your typical 20° edge for western knives. Since it's not Japanese hardness I'd go with 20° when I got it resharpened.

No u, Victorinox asteel is decent, if it comes at 15deg, you sharpen at 15deg. Your leading edge should be 10, and the cutting edge 15.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well fwiw a ceramic rod does actually remove some metal so it is technically able to sharpen but it'll take you forever and the edge will probably get hosed up.

lumbergill
Sep 5, 2012
Ask me about pro wrestling on roller skates!
With thanksgiving round the corner, anyone got a good recommendation for a carving knife?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you see yourself ever using a carving knife outside of a big ol' bird? I wouldn't spend too much, just get a victorinox or something and don't abuse it. Alternatively never get one and use a chef's knife.

lumbergill
Sep 5, 2012
Ask me about pro wrestling on roller skates!

Mr. Wookums posted:

Do you see yourself ever using a carving knife outside of a big ol' bird? I wouldn't spend too much, just get a victorinox or something and don't abuse it. Alternatively never get one and use a chef's knife.

I guess not. Well, maybe for slicing fish and roast beef, and cutting cakes in half for filling... but not a huge amount.

None of my knives are long enough really for carving, but I'll look out for something cheap.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Can't wait for tomorrow morning, because I'm ordering these three knives. I'll be pairing them with a nice new home on this magnetic bar , and keeping them honed with that lansky ceramic honing stick.

Will someone confirm my decision as being a Good Choice?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Can't wait for tomorrow morning, because I'm ordering these three knives. I'll be pairing them with a nice new home on this magnetic bar , and keeping them honed with that lansky ceramic honing stick.

They are decent knives, the Chef's Knife and Santoku are somewhat redundant but if you are just looking to try each out they are cheap enough that it's worth spending the money to try out both.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

FYI, you don't need both a chef's knife and a santoku. That's not to say you shouldn't order them both if you want them, I have way more unnecessary knives that duplicate each other's functions -- just that if you're trying to keep it minimal, they do pretty much the same thing. The shapes of the blades lend themselves to some differences in technique, the OP of this thread talks a little about it.

EDIT: Beaten while settling on wording

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I have a big birthday coming up and have no idea what I want. I was thinking about asking for this http://www.cutleryandmore.com/zwilling-ja-henckels-bob-kramer/stainless-damascus-santoku-knife-p132882 knife. However, I'd feel better about asking the opinion of the goon lords before asking loved ones to shell out money on this. Right now I'm using a set of globals that came in a bamboo block. I think they were around $300 au when I bought them but I can't remember. They do an alright job but I find the chef's knife is having to go through the water sharpener and honing rod quite a bit these days. Sorry if this has already been covered but I didn't have time to read the whole thread. So good, bad, poor value? If you have a suggestion for a similarly-priced alternative I'm happy to hear it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Burt Gherkin posted:

I have a big birthday coming up and have no idea what I want. I was thinking about asking for this http://www.cutleryandmore.com/zwilling-ja-henckels-bob-kramer/stainless-damascus-santoku-knife-p132882 knife. However, I'd feel better about asking the opinion of the goon lords before asking loved ones to shell out money on this. Right now I'm using a set of globals that came in a bamboo block. I think they were around $300 au when I bought them but I can't remember. They do an alright job but I find the chef's knife is having to go through the water sharpener and honing rod quite a bit these days. Sorry if this has already been covered but I didn't have time to read the whole thread. So good, bad, poor value? If you have a suggestion for a similarly-priced alternative I'm happy to hear it.

It will be a very nice knife, SG-2 is very wear resistant especially at HRC63 so the edge will last a good while but it will be harder to sharpen than your Globals for the same reason. Hard to say how it will perform without getting a better look at it or handling it but I am sure it's a very good knife just from the maker, they do drat fine work in Seki.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They are decent knives, the Chef's Knife and Santoku are somewhat redundant but if you are just looking to try each out they are cheap enough that it's worth spending the money to try out both.

I suppose I can get both so I can decide if I like the rocking motion of the chefs knife, or the up down chopping of the santoku. I think I'd like the chefs knife rocking chopping. Seems safer.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
Mac Bread Knife 270mm is on Amazon for $79.99 3rd party FBA or $80.00 sold and shipped by Amazon right now. It usually sits at $89.95. The well known Tojiro 270mm SD bread knife is pretty much a copy of the Mac.

Epicurean Edge has it cycling through their Cyber Monday deals for $74.18 + s&h.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Protons posted:

I suppose I can get both so I can decide if I like the rocking motion of the chefs knife, or the up down chopping of the santoku. I think I'd like the chefs knife rocking chopping. Seems safer.

For what it's worth I prefer rocking for some things and chopping for others so having both styles of knife isn't necessarily a waste at all. At the very least you can figure out which technique you like more, as you said.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I'm looking for a knife to replace my 8" Victorianox, which is okay, but doesn't have as much heft as I'd like and seems to dull very quickly (probably because I cut on a ceramic countertop and have never sharpened or honed it). I'd prefer to go with a Japanese knife for its superior edge holding capability and really liked the Shun classic santoku I held at my local kitchen store. I'm aware that Shun's are "trendy" and not the best price/performance knife out there, but I loved the way the D shaped handle felt in my hand compared to the Wusthof's traditional handle.

Do you guys know of any Japanese knives with a similar D-shape handle to the Shun that offer a better value? I like that I could use the Shun knife with the Shun honing steel which has a built in 16 degree guide to ensure I wouldn't screw something up with my own bad technique, but maybe this isn't actually a big deal? I'm looking for an all-purpose knife, but I use it for soft veggies 90% of the time, so I'm leaning heavily toward a santoku.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Tacier posted:

I'm looking for a knife to replace my 8" Victorianox, which is okay, but doesn't have as much heft as I'd like and seems to dull very quickly (probably because I cut on a ceramic countertop and have never sharpened or honed it). I'd prefer to go with a Japanese knife for its superior edge holding capability and really liked the Shun classic santoku I held at my local kitchen store. I'm aware that Shun's are "trendy" and not the best price/performance knife out there, but I loved the way the D shaped handle felt in my hand compared to the Wusthof's traditional handle.

Do you guys know of any Japanese knives with a similar D-shape handle to the Shun that offer a better value? I like that I could use the Shun knife with the Shun honing steel which has a built in 16 degree guide to ensure I wouldn't screw something up with my own bad technique, but maybe this isn't actually a big deal? I'm looking for an all-purpose knife, but I use it for soft veggies 90% of the time, so I'm leaning heavily toward a santoku.

You don't use a cutting board? Not even like a $5 hunk of plastic?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

extravadanza posted:

You don't use a cutting board? Not even like a $5 hunk of plastic?

I have a hunk of plastic now, but for a while I was cutting directly on my countertop because I'm a terrible person and didn't realize how bad it was for the knife. I'll be investing in a wood cutting board along with the new knife and taking good care of it and everything.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tacier posted:

You shouldn't use a metal honing rod on a Japanese knife. I think Shun is not quite as high on the hardness scale as some others but still. Using a metal rod will cause your knife to chip - especially if it is ridged (can't remember what Shun sells). Yeah, I know they sell metal rods together with the knives themselves.

Anyway I really like my Shun. I got it on a 25% off sale which compounded with my 10% industry discount so it wasn't expensive at all (relatively) and I love the performance on it (which is pretty much subjective anyway).

e: oh also it doesn't matter if you're cutting soft veggies if you're using the 'improper' technique; the Shun website says their knives are designed for the rocker cut so if you like chopping more you're more likely to chip the edge. Just something to think about while picking a knife.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 30, 2015

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

You shouldn't use a metal honing rod on a Japanese knife. I think Shun is not quite as high on the hardness scale as some others but still. Using a metal rod will cause your knife to chip - especially if it is ridged (can't remember what Shun sells). Yeah, I know they sell metal rods together with the knives themselves.

So ceramic then? Is Shun really not to be trusted for advice on how to maintain their own knives?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tacier posted:

So ceramic then? Is Shun really not to be trusted for advice on how to maintain their own knives?

That's the one thing that for some reason (probably just because people expect a rod with their knife) is weird with them, otherwise my experiences have been fine.

Ceramic will work but it will take some of the metal off. I've heard good things about glass or borosilicate rods, too. You can also strop the knife; basically just like you would a straight razor. Of course if you use an abrasive of some sort the metal will be getting slightly removed, again. That's not something huge to worry about though. I used my Shun somewhat heavily in the kitchen full time and I didn't need to ceramic rod all that much. It'd take you forever to remove and appreciable bit of metal. It does require a steady hand and decent technique though since the potential for messing up the edge is there more on a tool that will remove some metal.

The thing is essentially any kind of honing other than something reeeaally gentle to bring the metal back into place is going to be dangerous because a hard steel is much more likely to just chip than get realigned. A ridged metal rod is one of the roughest tools you can use in that sense. That's why using tools that instead just do some very light sharpening (afaik most Japanese knife enthusiasts will only use a water stone to hone/sharpen) is usually recommended. On the other end there's the diamond hones which will chew through your metal fairly quickly (relative to the ceramic or a fine grit water stone) so I don't like those too much either.

Another note; the ridges on the rods act to create microserrations on the blade. Perfect for a softer steel since the edge complies and then it is easier to cut through things like tomato skins. Again though, a hard steel has a much higher risk of just chipping. There's nothing inherently wrong or good with a soft steel versus a hard steel, but as a rule Western knives are softer than Japanese knives and so people here expect to use a metal rod as a cultural thing almost.

Sorry for the long rear end post.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 1, 2015

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Tacier posted:

I have a hunk of plastic now, but for a while I was cutting directly on my countertop because I'm a terrible person and didn't realize how bad it was for the knife. I'll be investing in a wood cutting board along with the new knife and taking good care of it and everything.

Honestly plastic is fine if you make sure you get them in the dishwasher. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the plastic cutting boards don't disinfect as well, really need to get them hot to kill the bacteria.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Thanks Mordin and Extravadanza for the info. I'm wondering if maybe I'd be better off getting one of those knock-off sharpening systems on Amazon, sharpening my existing Victorianox 8" chef knife and buying a Tojiro DP Nakiri for my vegetable work. Having a Chef and Santoku both is probably unnecessary if they're both sharp.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 1, 2015

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Anybody got experience with the Tojiro stainless line? I'm thinking of getting a couple santokus for Christmas presents, but neither of the people want western handles which rules out the DPs. They seem pretty much the same other than the handle and finish, both are VG10. (And yes, I'm going to go over knife care with them as well.)

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tostwa.html

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Karia posted:

Anybody got experience with the Tojiro stainless line? I'm thinking of getting a couple santokus for Christmas presents, but neither of the people want western handles which rules out the DPs. They seem pretty much the same other than the handle and finish, both are VG10. (And yes, I'm going to go over knife care with them as well.)

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tostwa.html

The "MV stainless" used in that one isn't VG10. It's Molybdenum Vanadium stainless, the specific steel isn't specified beyond that. But Tojiro calls VG10 used in the DP lines colbalt alloy steel, not MV.

There are several DP lines with Japanese handles - http://www.tojiro-japan.com/japanese-style-knives/

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Scott808 posted:

The "MV stainless" used in that one isn't VG10. It's Molybdenum Vanadium stainless, the specific steel isn't specified beyond that. But Tojiro calls VG10 used in the DP lines colbalt alloy steel, not MV.

There are several DP lines with Japanese handles - http://www.tojiro-japan.com/japanese-style-knives/

Huh. CKTG has them filed under VG10, and molybdenum and vanadium are both in VG10 so I'd just figured. Looks like the FD-567 is what I'm looking for. Any idea where I could get it, though? Quick googling only shows one company with them and the price is more than I'm willing to put out. The MV steel seems like it's pretty close according to their website, so that's a good fallback in any case. Thanks!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
has anyone actually ever used one of these goddamned mr itou knives?

they look so pretty but goddamn such expensive. also I really don't trust JCK as a company. it could be el cheapo bullcrap stamped poo poo for all I know.

edit : because that's a pretty lovely question that I think I already know the answer to - what are y'alls dream knives?

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 1, 2015

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

It's sold out, probably will never be restocked, and is more than I would ever dream of spending on a knife but this Tsukasa gyuto is just so loving sexy to me.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Karia posted:

Huh. CKTG has them filed under VG10, and molybdenum and vanadium are both in VG10 so I'd just figured. Looks like the FD-567 is what I'm looking for. Any idea where I could get it, though? Quick googling only shows one company with them and the price is more than I'm willing to put out. The MV steel seems like it's pretty close according to their website, so that's a good fallback in any case. Thanks!

CKTG is not really a retailer I would rely on for accurate information.

No idea who stocks them. You might ask one of the well known Japanese eBay vendors - MetalMasterJP, 330Mate, or BlueWayJapan - to see if they can get one for you.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

mindphlux posted:

also I really don't trust JCK as a company.

Why? I can't recall reading anything bad about them before; quite the opposite, actually.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scott808 posted:

Why? I can't recall reading anything bad about them before; quite the opposite, actually.

I bought a $150 knife off them, it (hopefully, best case scenario) had a manufacturing defect (the blade severely chipped while cutting a tortilla chip in half ffs), and the owner refused to replace or refund the knife 10 days after sale. also their whole webpage / marketing copy seems really gimmicky, I just get a bad feeling about their whole deal after my interaction with this dude.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Scott808 posted:

CKTG is not really a retailer I would rely on for accurate information.

Uh, Mark is extremely helpful, and actually knows what he is selling.

As for dream knives, http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suzdp189ki.html. Or a black mirror finish Itto Ryu, ck2g had a 270mm gyuto a few years ago, thing was $1200.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 1, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Thoht posted:

It's sold out, probably will never be restocked, and is more than I would ever dream of spending on a knife but this Tsukasa gyuto is just so loving sexy to me.

what the gently caress? Is it made from an asteroid and forged in fires fueled from the wood of Noah's Ark?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

what the gently caress? Is it made from an asteroid and forged in fires fueled from the wood of Noah's Ark?

Twisted and layered steel are not easy to make. Not to mention how few master bladesmiths there are in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
'Master bladesmith' is something that an Etsy store would brag about having.

• Locked thread