Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dodoman posted:

the audio settings are in the same place they always are, the bottom right

i'm sorry that your wife's father is an idiot

he's actually her step-father so it's ok that he's an idiot (and also an old). i have no idea what did or didn't happen to his audio settings, but the last thing i want to do is unravel this mystery over the phone with a known old/idiot and an OS that hasn't gone through QA testing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Your lanyard-loving boyfriend will feign bemusement at the brand new ASUS ULTRABOOK with WINDOWS 10

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
he's trying to figure out what it does.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

pc does what??

no, really?

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Cardboard Box A posted:

Your lanyard-loving boyfriend will feign bemusement at the brand new ASUS ULTRABOOK with WINDOWS 10
that's the look of a man who sells weed in a high school parking lot

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Space-Pope posted:

way to put him on front street bro

he thought he could trust you mann

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

OH-KAY

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Space-Pope posted:

and is still too poor to afford a macbook

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Israeli news website Ynet reports that Microsoft Israel has fired 60 engineers working on the HoloLens project, and that Microsoft will continue development on the HoloLens with different technology from the US.

The article was spotted by Neogaf user M.D., who read the article that is written in Hebrew. Roughly translated, the article mentions that Microsoft Israel abruptly decided to stop the project that the Israeli team was working on. The team consists of 60 engineers, 30 of those are permanent employees which are given one month to find a new job within Microsoft. The other 30 engineers involve contracted workers, which are fired immediately.

According Ynet, the group was working on the HoloLens for the past 2 and a half years, based on technology of a company that Microsoft bought in Israel 6 years ago. Microsoft will now be stopping the project, and continue development on the HoloLens through a different technology, produced in the US.

Microsoft Israel has provided a statement following the report from Ynet and states that they recently made decisions that affect a number of jobs. According Microsoft Israel, they are increasing investments in certain areas, while investments in other areas are reduced. As a result, there is a shift in jobs across the organization. Microsoft’s top priority is about the treatment of affected employees.

Neogaf user M.D. mentions that it’s unknown whether this affects the whole HoloLens project, or just a certain aspect of the project.

Unlike its competitors, Microsoft’s HoloLens currently makes use of Augmented Reality (AR). The device is the first holographic computer running Windows 10. “It is completely untethered–no wires, phones, or connection to a PC needed. Microsoft HoloLens allows consumers to place holograms in a physical environment and provides a new way to see the world”, according the HoloLens website.
lmbo hololens

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hololens

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

halo lens

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
didn't everyone say the hololens demo was impressive but they couldn't come up with even one practical application for it?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ho lol lens

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
this picture is why hate windows 10, the ui is waste of space

windows has 9 icons in the same space that osx has 33
tablet and desktop with 1 OS, the worst of all possible combinations

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

didn't everyone say the hololens demo was impressive but they couldn't come up with even one practical application for it?

iirc the actual thing has a tiny field of vision so it's like a tiny box you have to stare at and not the magical immersive 3D mine craft scape they advertised

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

iirc the actual thing has a tiny field of vision so it's like a tiny box you have to stare at and not the magical immersive 3D mine craft scape they advertised

also right now it has a 2 gestures for interacting with it, swipe and "air tap"

it's one thing to say "oh this is just some tech demo they came up with to make the press talk" but they've had hundreds of people working on it for years

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i get angry anyone legitimately calls its display holographic

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pram posted:

yes it's like doom for the CD I

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

microsoft moved halal lens from israel, free palestine

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Perplx posted:

this picture is why hate windows 10, the ui is waste of space

windows has 9 icons in the same space that osx has 33
tablet and desktop with 1 OS, the worst of all possible combinations

don't forget there is two control panels!

but yeah, the white space is brutal in windows 8 and 10

removing information is good!

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Lightbulb Out posted:

lmao yes

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the first holographic computer running Windows 10.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

lmbo hololens

"wow, so life-like, when i wear this it almost looks like i'm still employed!"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i was showing a friend my 3d printer and it was doing it's thing so i showed him my big box of prints i hosed up or didnt end up using for whatever reason. he put on his best doc brown mad scientist voice and said like "in the future...we will be able to create garbage."

like i dont think he meant to make such a perfectly beautiful statement about where we are as a species but i didnt stop laughing for like 15 minutes and its makin my giggle atm

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

i was showing a friend my 3d printer and it was doing it's thing so i showed him my big box of prints i hosed up or didnt end up using for whatever reason. he put on his best doc brown mad scientist voice and said like "in the future...we will be able to create garbage."

like i dont think he meant to make such a perfectly beautiful statement about where we are as a species but i didnt stop laughing for like 15 minutes and its makin my giggle atm

your friend is a prophet

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

:3:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

awesome

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Lightbulb Out posted:

but yeah, the white space is brutal in windows 8 and 10

removing information is good!
exactly why every other company that has a toehold in phone/tablets still don't try and combine the UX, because things just can't scale - there are implicit design decisions depending upon screen size and input method that responsive design doesn't cover

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
STILL TIME FOLKS

oh my god

so a special price of $10 gets you a 65% complete ebook that consists of screenshots of the basic UI (and not even the recent TH2 release), lol he is such a loving anachronism

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

i guess we should've been there

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
do people still buy those huge books that explain like windows or excel or w/e to you?

i mean thurrott's got to be making money off of someone, right?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Space-Pope posted:

do people still buy those huge books that explain like windows or excel or w/e to you?

i mean thurrott's got to be making money off of someone, right?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:pwn:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that's a book for grandmas if I've ever seen one

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

there's something to be said for it actually existing in physical form though, the dummies folks at least are aware of their target market

thurrott is trying to sell an ebook to this audience

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"ipad for dummies' and "my samsung galaxy tab 4 S pro 10.1 LT+" type books are in the same dewey decimal as hard comp sci and coding theory books and it leads to all kinds of interesting encounters at the library

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i was in b&n last weekend idly browsing for yosmas gifts and at least 1/8th of the shelf space of an entire floor was devoted to various dummies books. it was kinda arresting when i realized that.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

pseudorandom name posted:

confirmed; my grandma has that book.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

THC posted:

"ipad for dummies' and "my samsung galaxy tab 4 S pro 10.1 LT+" type books are in the same dewey decimal as hard comp sci and coding theory books and it leads to all kinds of interesting encounters at the library

poor detected in this sector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

people who poo poo on the 'for dummiers' books are the real dummies!!!1

and by dummies i mean assholes.

• Locked thread