Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Hellsau posted:

NEET guy is a necessary character and a great joke but is not cool at all. gently caress that guy.

^This. NEET guy is there to reinforce the idea that Saitama is 'the Hero City Z deserves but not the one it needs right now'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Shouldn't that be the other way around?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

No? That's how the quote goes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ninjewtsu posted:

genos is a hero because he thinks that will make him stronger, not because he really cares about the good work he does

Not really. He was certainly obsessed with being a hardcore revenge guy at first, but he's seriously paying attention to the type of hero Saitama is. And whatever other flaws he has, Saitama is a pretty good person doing things for mostly all the right reasons. Someone like Rider is more overtly heroic at all times, but Saitama isn't just about punching the big monster and calling it a day. He's a pretty good influence on Genos. He's a pretty good influence on everyone that enters his life.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
License-less Rider is already the one they deserve. Saitama is the one they technically need right now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

No? That's how the quote goes.

Saitama is still too good for these people.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yep

Z City need a hero like Saitama, but don't deserve one at all because they're lovely people mostly.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yep

Z City need a hero like Saitama, but don't deserve one at all because they're lovely people mostly.

I thought Z city was the abandoned one.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

Not really. He was certainly obsessed with being a hardcore revenge guy at first, but he's seriously paying attention to the type of hero Saitama is. And whatever other flaws he has, Saitama is a pretty good person doing things for mostly all the right reasons. Someone like Rider is more overtly heroic at all times, but Saitama isn't just about punching the big monster and calling it a day. He's a pretty good influence on Genos. He's a pretty good influence on everyone that enters his life.

my point was that the whole reason genos is paying attention to the type of hero that saitama is, is because he wants to be stronger, not because he wants to help people.

saitama is pretty good, though there's still some points where he's more concerned about, say, his reputation than the fact that bald terrorists are going around destroying buildings. licenseless rider goes around doing good things because it's the right thing to do, saitama goes around doing good things because being a hero was at one point fun, and genos goes around doing good things because he wants to be strong.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Maybe? I forget.
Wherever they were when the Asteroid blew and where Sea King was, gently caress those guys.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Keeshhound posted:

The city as a whole is populated, but a large area in the vicinity of Saitama's apartment is abandoned. Most of the people have moved further into the city center out of fear of all the monsters that keep attacking.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Saitama lives in an abandoned part of Z City. Note that "City" is not only the names of the cities, but of the whole region each city is in. The meteor appeared over of Z City, whereas Sea King attacked J City.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Z-City just needs some Gatchamen to keep the kuuki in check

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

dogsicle posted:

Z-City just needs some Gatchamen to keep the kuuki in check

I'm into this crossover

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ninjewtsu posted:

my point was that the whole reason genos is paying attention to the type of hero that saitama is, is because he wants to be stronger, not because he wants to help people.

saitama is pretty good, though there's still some points where he's more concerned about, say, his reputation than the fact that bald terrorists are going around destroying buildings. licenseless rider goes around doing good things because it's the right thing to do, saitama goes around doing good things because being a hero was at one point fun, and genos goes around doing good things because he wants to be strong.

*My* point is that you are wrong. Genos went to Saitama to get stronger for his revenge based bullshit, but over time he's mellowed out some. He absolutely wants to help people, and he cares about Saitama. Saitama does a metric fuckton of poo poo that nobody will ever know about that benefits others, a lot of which probably won't get covered in the anime. He's not as gung-ho and upfront about it as Rider, but he legitimately cares about people and tries to help them. Rider is great, but Genos and Saitama are absolutely heroes too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I got the impression Genos didn't mind helping people but one of the reasons he wanted to become stronger is because he failed to protect his family from the cyborg. Also, he stops being all about revenge after becoming Saitama's disciple.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Common Rider's the only one we've seen so far who's legitimately always been in the business for the sake of helping people. Even Saitama and Genos had to grow into that mold; remember, originally Saitama wanted recognition for his heroic deeds and Genos, as mentioned, only wanted absolute power for revenge. After being in the Hero Association for some time, they both developed a genuine and selfless desire to help others.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Saitama really wanted at least a passing bit of acknowledgement for his actions considering how many monsters he's destroyed. I don't think there's anything selfish about wanting people to not mistake you for a member of bald man gang in power armor that popped up in the city after you've pwned a giant in one punch.

edit: I think at one point he remarked something along the lines of 'I've been a hero for like three years now! Surely someone should recognize me by now, I shouldn't be getting mistaken for a random gang member at this point in my career!' And yeah, he didn't know about the registry but drat, you'd think the citizens would be better about this.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 1, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Common Rider's the only one we've seen so far who's legitimately always been in the business for the sake of helping people. Even Saitama and Genos had to grow into that mold; remember, originally Saitama wanted recognition for his heroic deeds and Genos, as mentioned, only wanted absolute power for revenge. After being in the Hero Association for some time, they both developed a genuine and selfless desire to help others.

Yeah this absolutely isn't Saitama at all.

Genos didn't change because of the Hero Association, he changed because Saitama was a good influence on him. If anything, that discussion with Amai Mask early on was meant as a warning to the viewer about how toxic the Hero Association can be.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I didn't mean the hero association helped them develop into better heroes, just that they did become better heroes during their time in the association due to the influences of the environment around them; Saitama's development stemming from the greed of the Tank Top bros. and Genos's stemming from Saitama himself.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The thing about Saitama is that we meet him after an untold number of battles with super strong monsters that he wrecks effortlessly. It's not that Saitama doesn't care about justice or protecting the weak, he's just so drat strong that he grew numb to the whole thing. Meeting Genos, joining the Association, it's all part of him rediscovering why he wanted to do this in the first place.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Saitama originally wanted to save a little boy from a weird rear end crab monster. Even before he realized his dream was always to be the hero that takes out the monster with one punch, he'd already risked his life to save some weird little rear end in a top hat kid. That's his origin story, his prime motivation. People can forget that because we join him in the middle of a depression from years of instantly defeating monsters, constantly having new monsters show up, and nobody even acknowledging he'd done anything when he's preeeeeetty sure he's saved the world at least a few times. That is demoralizing as poo poo. Deep down he's still that guy that fought a monster to save a little kid when he didn't have any special abilities to speak of.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm just disappointed because there won't be enough time for all my favorite extras to appear in the anime. Which pretty much equates to 'every single extra'.

But especially the one where Saitama shares a refreshing drink or 30 with Mumen Rider.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

khy posted:

I'm just disappointed because there won't be enough time for all my favorite extras to appear in the anime. Which pretty much equates to 'every single extra'.

But especially the one where Saitama shares a refreshing drink or 30 with Mumen Rider.

Cross your fingers for (a bunch of) them to show up on the BD OVAs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Again, the BD OVAs are supposed to be original stories written by ONE, not extra chapters.

Edit: Well, some of them are written by ONE. It doesn't seem like the ones we know of are extra chapters, unless I forgot one.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 1, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And that's extremely disappointing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Again, the BD OVAs are supposed to be original stories written by ONE, not extra chapters.

Edit: Well, some of them are written by ONE. It doesn't seem like the ones we know of are extra chapters, unless I forgot one.

Huh, I thought the guy was referring to extra characters

T.G. Xarbala posted:

And that's extremely disappointing.

I mean, it's more content with your favorite characters dude

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah but some of those side chapters are actually really good and it's a shame anime-only watchers are gonna miss out on them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hopefully the mod will purge all anime-only watchers to put them out of their misery.

OPM is life, and if you choose to miss out on life, you probably don't deserve to enjoy it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah but some of those side chapters are actually really good and it's a shame anime-only watchers are gonna miss out on them.

It's new content written by ONE. It might be really good too, and the extra chapters will always be there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

They won't miss out on them if they read the manga.

P.S. Read the manga

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well shucks, okay guys.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I don't want to read the manga because it seems like a lot of people who did just wind up complaining about the show. I would prefer to not complain about the show, because it is good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Those people are loving idiots and both have their merits.

Read the manga.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
I wonder who Saitama is paying rent to anyway.

Well I guess he's not paying rent to anyone now. I guess he just blew all his Genosbucks on leeks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

I don't want to read the manga because it seems like a lot of people who did just wind up complaining about the show. I would prefer to not complain about the show, because it is good.

Nobody's actually disliking the show dude, and you don't have to complain about the show if you read the manga :)

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

I have read both mangas (original and redraw) and I am not complaining one bit about the anime. For me, it feels like every surprise moment that comes up in the story is animated well if not completely nailed for how awesome it should be. Read the manga if choose to, I would recommend it like everyone else, but if not just continue to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Saitama originally wanted to save a little boy from a weird rear end crab monster. Even before he realized his dream was always to be the hero that takes out the monster with one punch, he'd already risked his life to save some weird little rear end in a top hat kid. That's his origin story, his prime motivation.

It's funny that none of the characters recognize that this event was the genesis of the hero association as well.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jagchosis posted:

Read the manga. Then read the ONE webcomic version. Then read Mob Psycho 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kilson posted:

It's funny that none of the characters recognize that this event was the genesis of the hero association as well.

Yeah it's some nice dramatic irony.

• Locked thread