Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pat sounds really happy whenever his crackpot theories end up being right, it's charming. :unsmith:

edit: Lol Matt immediately crushing his dreams with "Well if you guess 50 times you will be right twice." And Pat agrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

pandaK posted:

People who complain about how sudden Soma ends are crazy because goddamn that was intense

I don't know how they could interpret that ending as 'sudden', it was harrowing, hosed up, and SUPER intense but it was as definitive an ending as you can possibly get. Awesome game that pulls no punches.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
200k more to go for Indivisble in 4 days, they just added the final characters including the female protag from Transister.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Tae posted:

200k more to go for Indivisble in 4 days, they just added the final characters including the female protag from Transister.

Motherfucker.

We're not going to make it, are we? :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The way it's going I'd say we're barely just gonna make it, now it needs 188,000

Blockhouse posted:

More than rumored. The Australian ESRB and Brazilian Ministry of Justice have both rated it.

I hope the Brazilian Ministry of Justice gave it a 9/10 or something, they're the only reviewers i trust to give just scores.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I dunno it might, it's been managing 40k a day these last few days. Most of the surge is hopefully going to come in at the last day.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It's almost as if the more awesome they make it, the less people want it. I was certain they would've made it by now with the extension, holy cow video game backers are a fickle bunch of fuckers eh?

Guess MikeZ better start polishing his Resume..... :smith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zaibatsu already donated 5k, was that mentioned here? They're getting a boss in the game after them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh god what if that tmnt game is new movieverse. Monkey's Paw!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Tae posted:

Zaibatsu already donated 5k, was that mentioned here? They're getting a boss in the game after them.

I think not, so here's the thing
http://imgur.com/gallery/jf1Pj

Zone, Cranky and Plague all did designs for Zubaz that would fit Indivisible, and if you backed it you can email a vote to the podcast email. Personally I went with Type C, the other two just look too cool and C makes me think he's a warrior person with very few actual victories and mostly just brags, he probably bought those pants instead of slaying a tiger.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Yo, Matt, I'm seeing you, Pat, and the Beef throw down about Binary Domain on Twitter.

What's your deal with the game? I know almost nothing about it, and I'm sure it'd been talked on the podcast ages ago. Think you could fill us in with a refresher on why Pat digs it and you don't?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blockhouse posted:

oh god what if that tmnt game is new movieverse. Monkey's Paw!

Man, if it plays well I'm fine with doing dodge-offsets with Megan Fox all day.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

It's almost as if the more awesome they make it, the less people want it. I was certain they would've made it by now with the extension, holy cow video game backers are a fickle bunch of fuckers eh?

Guess MikeZ better start polishing his Resume..... :smith:

You never read the KS thread have you? Full of idiots. (Paraphrasing from one example) I don't see why they should get an exception to their game if they aren't gonna make it (not counting the fact indiegogo does this with projects that hit 60 percent)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No one anywhere has said the KS thread is remotely decent. Does it only exists to quarantine those posters?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh yeah Pat and Woolie are the bad kind of Berserk fans who just want Guts to be miserable and alone again

"X team member/all team members should die" ugh ugh

Also I have totally 180'd and now want FFX daily because Woolie's mystified reaction to everything in that stupid game is great.

E: Pat is right to be suspicious of Liam, Teslagrad is ruined by those lovely boss fights.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 1, 2015

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

pulp rag posted:

Yo, Matt, I'm seeing you, Pat, and the Beef throw down about Binary Domain on Twitter.

What's your deal with the game? I know almost nothing about it, and I'm sure it'd been talked on the podcast ages ago. Think you could fill us in with a refresher on why Pat digs it and you don't?

I played that game for about an hour. It felt like a stiffly controlling gears with a really pointless "encourage your team mate mechanic" where you constantly need to tell them how awesome they are. If you don't do this consistently, they will actively stop obeying your commands. I also saw plenty of bugs, wonky physics, and it was just incredibly rough. Aside from that, I have nothing else to add. It was released during a time where every Japanese company was trying to do a Gears thing, copy and pasting cover-based shooting, and adding some gimmick on top of it. When I think about all those Gear rip-offs, they just kinda meld into a gray sludge with even more crap like Inversion, Quantum Theory, Fractured, and honestly, Pat gives it WAY too much slack because it's made by the Yakuza team. I will give it that it has a bonkers story, that I would at least be interested in seeing. Just to see how insane it is.

At least Vanquish actually takes cover based shooting and brings it to the next loving level, and actually feels awesome in every way. A game I think that's far more deserving of any praise and often gets overlooked.

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 1, 2015

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

soma real talk: I'm pretty sure there's no actual coin-toss about which consciousness you carry on as and if there was how would you prove that?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Stairmaster posted:

soma real talk: I'm pretty sure there's no actual coin-toss about which consciousness you carry on as and if there was how would you prove that?

there absolutely isn't,, it's like saying having a kid is a continuation of your consciousness

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pandaK posted:

People who complain about how sudden Soma ends are crazy because goddamn that was intense

I never said it was a bad ending :v:

Just feels kinda abrupt to me I guess. It feels like it ends mid climax to me though I fully, fully admit I don't really know what else they could of done given what happens. Part of it just comes across as YOU DID IT with a harsh cut to credits to me.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 1, 2015

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

the climax was killing the WAU and escaping the leviathan, the rest is epilogue basically

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
More like indie-visible

Because it's a bunch of indie games uniting their characters be part of it to try and get this loving thing funded, you see

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think the reason why people are surprised you don't like it is because the story is basically dumb, action adventure that hits all the notes you'd like, including a sassy french robot and Troy Baker being a sassy british man constantly giving you a hard time.

I don't think anyone that likes the game actually uses the voice thing.

The game is relatively short. It's not inventing the Gears wheel, but it varies up the gameplay enough and doesn't overstay its welcome.

edit: Baker is basically using his Pagen Minh voice.

Tae fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 1, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

SOMA was a really cool LP and I'm glad pat got to gush all over with his psychology stuff, it made up for all the time he spent missing very obvious things while I screamed at the screen.

Only thing that bugged me was how after the ARK stinger they were all "wow the water in the stream looks so bad" after chiding simon for being such an idiot. It's a simulation! They're basically in a video game.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

the Simon on the ark would have the same memories up to the pneuma transplant and so do all the robot transplants so at the moment of transplant you either become the copy or dont. its not literally a coin toss obviously but its not really a matter of probability, both pneumas exist even if theres only one soma or sarx in the case of the wau. pneuma. soma. sarx.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Imo there is no consciousness "you" carry on as in regards to being put in the Ark, because there's no actual transferring of minds in the process, which the ending goes to show pretty nicely. Simon uploads himself into the Ark, and it creates a new Simon inside it. Ark Simon retains all of the memories the Simon in the chair had when he was uploaded, but nothing after that. Meanwhile, Simon in the chair feels like nothing happened to him because nothing did happen. He basically just ctrl+c, ctrl+v-ed himself.

The reason he gets mad at the end is because he had a fundamental misunderstanding of what was going to happen; he thought that his current body would be abandoned and he would exist as the clone inside the Ark because of his earlier body jumping under different circumstances. However, despite Catherine clarifying that that wasn't the case (hours ago!), he just didn't get it. Because he's a dumbass.

edit: When Simon jumps into the new suit, what he perceives this as is himself being taken out of the old suit and put into the new one. Therefore, what he (and we) saw was his consciousness carrying on into the new body, i.e. he won the coin toss. Ark Simon sees that again in the post-credits scene. But in the ending, we are playing as the Simon that was jumped from instead of to for the first time, and because Simon is dumb, he doesn't understand how that can be possible.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 1, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pat liking the Batmobile is the least likely thing

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Plague's design is gonna win

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Rodyle posted:

Oh yeah Pat and Woolie are the bad kind of Berserk fans who just want Guts to be miserable and alone again

"X team member/all team members should die" ugh ugh

This is honestly kind of upsetting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Guts being the wandering-samurai-problem-solver type character is pretty cool.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CJacobs posted:

Yeah but that's why you have weaker and sillier characters hang around those types of characters to reinforce how cool they are. See Kenshiro.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Guts has been on the boat for so long I completely forgot why he needed to get on it and how his new destination will help him defeat Griffith.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

On Baz Designs I think I'm the only one that likes A and thinks it fits in the most. I have no hope of it winning though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Guts was never this though. He consistently caused more problems than he solved (and what he did solve he did so more or less unintentionally) and was despised by the populace for being bad luck/a crazy wandering murder machine.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 1, 2015

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
That Soma ending was pretty terrifying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Foxhound posted:

That Soma ending was pretty terrifying.

Terrifying that the last remnant of humanity was, however briefly, in the hands of a man so god damned loving stupid that it's a wonder he could walk and talk at the same time.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

Guts has been on the boat for so long I completely forgot why he needed to get on it and how his new destination will help him defeat Griffith.

Last time I checked, he wanted to go to Elf island to restore Casca back to the way she was. Of course there is the whole foreshadowing of what Casca wishes may not be the same as his so..yeah.

This is Berserk so you know that's not gonna end well.

And yeah we did hints here and there with the armor that one day Gutts will go loose and kill everyone he loves/protects. I hope it doesn't happen but then again.

This.

is.

Berserk.

Also yeah I really like the ending of Soma. Simon was a goddamn idiot though. Throwing up a tantrum and the only person he could talk to ends up short circuiting because he pissed her off. I get that he was suppose to be the player but even we picked up that transfer minds was bullshit.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 1, 2015

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

pandaK posted:

I loving LOVED the game's ending. Goddamn, it was so harsh and horrible, and then they soften the blow post-credits?? gently caress. An emotional rollercoaster.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Terrifying that the last remnant of humanity was, however briefly, in the hands of a man so god damned loving stupid that it's a wonder he could walk and talk at the same time.

Well, yes. But I was thinking more "terrifying that I'm left alone on the ocean floor as (probably) the only sentient being on the planet, possibly stuck in the dark in a chair until my batteries run out."

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Foxhound posted:

Well, yes. But I was thinking more "terrifying that I'm left alone on the ocean floor as (probably) the only sentient being on the planet, possibly stuck in the dark in a chair until my batteries run out."

I'm not really clear on what happened to simon after he was put in to the last body. He's clearly a human, but getting his arm bitten off is only a temporary problem? The health-buttholes still heal him, so maybe not though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Odobenidae posted:

I'm not really clear on what happened to simon after he was put in to the last body. He's clearly a human, but getting his arm bitten off is only a temporary problem? The health-buttholes still heal him, so maybe not though?
He's a corpse puppeteered around by magnetic fluid controlled by a computer. Although yeah, his suit should have flooded after hand removal.