Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I remember seeing commercials and a trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1QlcrUXG8c

lol "we have to save jabba's dumb kid"

it's like poetry

I still don't remember it event with that trailer. I event quit smoking weed in 2008 so it seems like something I should remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
George Lucas talked to Rolling Stone about Greedo shooting first: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-lucas-explains-controversial-greedo-han-solo-star-wars-edit-20151130

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

this is like the undisputed #1 "you are a huge dork if you have a strong opinion about this, who could possibly care but turbonerds" thing, but I just can't help myself. i am a turbonerd

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
http://www.starwars.com/video/reunited-with-rotta

Goddam this is real bad

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

it's stupid that hutt turned out to be the name of the species instead of the title. i wonder if hutts call the main cast like han the human being, leia the human being, etc

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Otisburg posted:

it's stupid that hutt turned out to be the name of the species instead of the title. i wonder if hutts call the main cast like han the human being, leia the human being, etc

I think some real mobsters had ethnic titles. "Nick the Greek," that sort of thing. It doesn't work as well when you find out that all Hutts are mobsters.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jurgan posted:

I think some real mobsters had ethnic titles. "Nick the Greek," that sort of thing. It doesn't work as well when you find out that all Hutts are mobsters.

yeah, it would be like if all the movie mobsters from central casting had "the itallian" appended to their name, and people made sure to rarely drop it and just use their given name

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Otisburg posted:

this is like the undisputed #1 "you are a huge dork if you have a strong opinion about this, who could possibly care but turbonerds" thing, but I just can't help myself. i am a turbonerd

I'll out myself as a bigger dork and say I disagree. Han shooting first is pretty essential in his character's story arc and making Greedo the first shooter and making Han into John Wayne drastically changes how we see him. I won't say Lucas is wrong per se, it is after all his character, but it's not a tempest in a teapot either.

And really, there are FAR worse things to be anal retentive about with regards to Star Wars. Hell there are worse things in that same movie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

oh i'm not disagreeing with you. character development is a good thing, and even just in the context of the scene i don't think the audience is going to lose sympathy for an antihero who gets the drop on a badguy who has him at gunpoint and tells him flat out "i am going to murder you, at pretty much any moment, to death, with this laser gun i have pointed at you"

put me on the space jury and i'm voting to acquit if we get that scene from the original theatrical release as a security hologram from the cantina, for sure

i'm just saying i'm self-conscious that i feel strongly about it because it's like the go-to nerd orthadox recitation of the faith and i try to do all my nerd poo poo with a cool detached sense of irony

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'll out myself as a bigger dork and say I disagree. Han shooting first is pretty essential in his character's story arc and making Greedo the first shooter and making Han into John Wayne drastically changes how we see him. I won't say Lucas is wrong per se, it is after all his character, but it's not a tempest in a teapot either.

And really, there are FAR worse things to be anal retentive about with regards to Star Wars. Hell there are worse things in that same movie.

If Greedo shot first, then he must have been a terrible bounty hunter. How do you miss at that range?

There's certainly a question of how dark do you want your eventually good characters to start. If Han's backstory was that he ran a child prostitution ring, I don't think any number of future good deeds would redeem him (on a related note, Lucas and Spielberg originally planned for Indiana Jones's backstory to be that he had sex with Marion Ravenwood when she was twelve years old). So I can kind of understand where Lucas is coming from. At the same time, I disagree. Shooting Greedo was basically self-defense, done in a way that shows he's dealt with this sort of thing before. It's cold-blooded, but it's not irredeemably evil.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the "John Wayne" comparison doesn't even work. The typical Western idea is of the villain drawing first, not shooting first. The cowboy waits for the villain to go for his gun, then pulls it out faster and shoots him (that was a very Freudian sentence). He doesn't wait for the villain to get a shot in. And since Greedo had already drawn on Han, Han was well within his rights to use deadly force against him.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 1, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Han/Greedo thing didn't matter at all until Lucas changed it, and as Special Edition changes go it has nothing on the bewilderingly awful Jabba scene, which:

-Doesn't make any sense
-Establishes nothing not already said in the Greedo scene
-Has the tail-stepping thing that manages to further damage both characters and have some laugh-out-loud awful CG
-Reveals that Jabba the Hutt is actually a third the size he was in ROTJ and also a semi-surreal cartoon

If you want to get a good grasp of how clueless and vain Lucas is, realize that he'll probably have to die before we get the VHS versions of Star Wars 4, 5, and 6 on Blu Ray without his frankly horrible alterations. The Special Editions are at least historically useful as the first definite indicator that Lucas had become too aloof and meddlesome to listen to anyone else's advice about his work. From that point onward, he returned to his early harebrained roots that desperately needed the input of creative minds who actually liked actors and had talent for writing and dialogue.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol

Breaking Benjamin Frontman: 'Star Wars: Battlefront' Game 'Sucks poo poo!'

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oh yeah this game is hot garbage by the way.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Han/Greedo thing didn't matter at all until Lucas changed it, and as Special Edition changes go it has nothing on the bewilderingly awful Jabba scene, which:

-Doesn't make any sense
-Establishes nothing not already said in the Greedo scene
-Has the tail-stepping thing that manages to further damage both characters and have some laugh-out-loud awful CG
-Reveals that Jabba the Hutt is actually a third the size he was in ROTJ and also a semi-surreal cartoon

If you want to get a good grasp of how clueless and vain Lucas is, realize that he'll probably have to die before we get the VHS versions of Star Wars 4, 5, and 6 on Blu Ray without his frankly horrible alterations. The Special Editions are at least historically useful as the first definite indicator that Lucas had become too aloof and meddlesome to listen to anyone else's advice about his work. From that point onward, he returned to his early harebrained roots that desperately needed the input of creative minds who actually liked actors and had talent for writing and dialogue.

Is it true the VHS versions are the only ones that are identical to the original theatrical release? Is it any specific VHS version? I had heard that the LaserDisc version was identical to theatrical as well. I bought an LD player for $5 at a garage sale this summer and it came with sealed copies of Space Jam and Robin Hood: Men in Tights on LD so that'd be pretty sweet if I could pick up the OT on LaserDisc and kick it old-school.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh yeah this game is hot garbage by the way.

Game studio responsible for Generic War FPS Series #7 makes terrible generic shooter with Star Wars skin who would have thought

It's hilarious that a) anybody thinks the guy from Breaking Benjamin was or is even remotely relevant and b) he got mad enough at a video game to physically destroy the disc

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Jabba scene also establishes that Greedo regenerated and wasn't holding any grudges, or that Greedo's species all wear the same thing. Maybe it's like Russian Mob types and Adidas tracksuits.

My least favorite dithering in the OT was probably the most "subtle" depending on how you look at it: Adding a scream when Luke plunges from the precipice after the duel and revelation in ESB. It just loving kills the gravity of him clearly and deliberatly choosing death over corruption, like "whoops I shoulddaaa joooinnned you and ruuuled at your ssiiiiiiiiiiidde!:

I think I'm going to mute that if I watch it with my kids.

I mean he's probably not wrong. Isn't it a full retail release that ships online-only with 4 fukkin maps?

That's like some 90's shareware level poo poo.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Otisburg posted:

Adding a scream when Luke plunges from the precipice after the duel and revelation in ESB.

lol I never noticed that, time to put the esb bluray in and be very slightly annoyed with GEORGE LUCAS :doom:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

lol I never noticed that, time to put the esb bluray in and be very slightly annoyed with GEORGE LUCAS :doom:

I just looked it up and apparently it was added for the 1997 VHS/Laserdisc SE release, then removed in the 2004/2011 DVD/BR releases.

i guess lucas realized for once that he'd gone too far and it was stupid

look it up on youtube though because lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

game has issues(only like 8 maps and all the unlocks are dumb) but its not that bad. I like a multiplayer game that is casual and quick to pick up and put down.(titanfall, tf2, l4d2. vermintide) then again it should have come with more maps and less dlc poo poo, but thats :dice: for you.

Otisburg posted:

RotS handilly claims "most tolerable of PT" by virtue of McDiarmid's gleeful scenery chewing.

he saves that movie from being utterly poo poo. he chews scenery well and he just seems so drat happy at being such a evil gently caress. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwaNXRRL2g plus he is cool with fans.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Is it true the VHS versions are the only ones that are identical to the original theatrical release? Is it any specific VHS version? I had heard that the LaserDisc version was identical to theatrical as well. I bought an LD player for $5 at a garage sale this summer and it came with sealed copies of Space Jam and Robin Hood: Men in Tights on LD so that'd be pretty sweet if I could pick up the OT on LaserDisc and kick it old-school.

There is a '95 VHS release that is about as close as you are going to get. The '95 laserdisc version might also be OK. The funny thing is that other than these two releases, all of the Star Wars releases have mild to major lovely things going on, even back in the 80's.

All anyone wants are the original versions. I think most would accept the original versions with some color/sound enhancements, but Lucasfilm consistently fucks up that up too. It is absolutely incredible that the last halfway good releases of these movies were 20 YEARS AGO. Lucas is completely up his own rear end.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

He actually took it out of the Blu-ray versions. The only time it got to homes was the first VHS releases of the Special Editions. It was so bad even Lucas realized it was bad.

Of course, then he adds Vader saying "NOOO" in the Blu-rays in ROTJ so it's a give and take.

As to the "best versions." The 1995 releases with THX added are widely seen as the definitive editions of Star Wars. Of those the Laserdisc versions are the best because they have DVD quality picture (before we had tech to shrink the size of the discs). I have the box set VHS of the THX versions but unfortunately they will eventually degrade to the point where they're unwatchable so the Laserdisc truly is the end-all be-all.

I will be shocked beyond comprehension if we don't get a Blu-ray release of a de-specialized OT within the next 5 or so years.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Game studio responsible for Generic War FPS Series #7 makes terrible generic shooter with Star Wars skin who would have thought

It's hilarious that a) anybody thinks the guy from Breaking Benjamin was or is even remotely relevant and b) he got mad enough at a video game to physically destroy the disc

At least they had a demo weekend where you could discover just how bad and generic it was.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure there are industrious hobbyists who've remastered and cleaned up as pristine as possible theatrical cuts from disparate sources, if you go the :filez: route, but it's absurd that you have to. I think the most prominent guy even calls it the "despecialized edition"

Remember that time some film school wanted to screen a print of the original star wars for literally an "influential films of the '70's" and lucas hit them with a C&D because he didn't want the original version shown? Or am I misremembering that to make it sound stupider than it was?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

At least they had a demo weekend where you could discover just how bad and generic it was.

Yeah I tried it and tbh the breaking benjamin guy is pretty spot on as far as it suffering from the whole "spawn, die instantly to some guy sniping spawn point, spawn again, die from some guy in an AT-ST shooting at you, spawn again, die from 3 shots off a blaster rifle" thing.

I prefer less "realistic" FPSes. At least in Halo or Titanfall you can sponge up 2 or 3 shots without dying on the spot.

Also the spacecraft controls were bullshit. That kind of control scheme and floaty aircraft feeling is fine when you're simulating 1942 fighter planes but flying a TIE fighter in Battlefront felt like trying to pilot an out-of-control tugboat.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Otisburg posted:

I just looked it up and apparently it was added for the 1997 VHS/Laserdisc SE release, then removed in the 2004/2011 DVD/BR releases.

i guess lucas realized for once that he'd gone too far and it was stupid

look it up on youtube though because lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaXgK5HRBjk

lol sounds like he's having fun

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Otisburg posted:

I'm pretty sure there are industrious hobbyists who've remastered and cleaned up as pristine as possible theatrical cuts from disparate sources, if you go the :filez: route, but it's absurd that you have to. I think the most prominent guy even calls it the "despecialized edition"

Remember that time some film school wanted to screen a print of the original star wars for literally an "influential films of the '70's" and lucas hit them with a C&D because he didn't want the original version shown? Or am I misremembering that to make it sound stupider than it was?

Last time I tried one of those, it was badly obvious when they were switching sources as far as color temperatures, contrast and that sort of thing went and it really made it impossible to watch.

I think I'm gonna try to track down the LaserDisc versions regardless because loving LaserDiscs amirite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5MjyUCnJD0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Of course, then he adds Vader saying "NOOO" in the Blu-rays in ROTJ so it's a give and take.

WHY. is lucas that autistic that he cant tell people get more of emotioal reaction from the silence. you can practically see vader weighing his conscious and you see the second he decides and lunges at old sheev.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Groovelord Neato posted:

we already had the EU. now imagine that as movies. also i know nerds seemt o want to know every little thing about whatever universe they're fans of but the original star wars films aren't good because the trappings. they're good because of the specific story and characters used.
I'm not sure I agree. The original Star Wars films have perfectly serviceable characters and story but they're really nothing special and would not in on themselves have resulted in a hugely popular and memorable film. It's really the visual and audio design and the overall atmosphere they create that make the, let's face it, merely passable plot into something memorable.

It's what the new films should do too. There's no need for complex, elaborate plots for this sort of thing.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

we already had the EU. now imagine that as movies. also i know nerds seemt o want to know every little thing about whatever universe they're fans of but the original star wars films aren't good because the trappings. they're good because of the specific story and characters used.

what long running movies series didn't devolve into utter poo poo eventually, especially sci-fi.

you keep parroting this but ever since disney got its claws into marvel it has consistently put out an average-to-above-average blockbuster movie full of superheroes doing superhero stuff that nobody besides cinematography dorks and marvel turbonerds have had much opinion on besides "that was pretty loving awesome", so what are you worried about

disney is protective over IPs and will be dropping mad cash on good directors and writers to put together serviceable movies that will actually make a half-decent EU for once. the reason the book EU was so hosed was because lucasfilms basically said "open call to all authors: write some star wars fanfiction and we'll publish it was canon" for the first stretch of books, which was an extremely bad idea. that's literally the opposite of how disney has handled marvel movies, so i'm not sure why you're convinced that a company that has been wildly successful at making blockbuster movies without stooping to literal cash-ins for the past few years will start making a dash rendarr trilogy??

rogue one is gonna be sweet btw

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i'm extremely stoked for "serviceable movies" in the vein of the homogenized milk from the teat of the marvel children's costumed superhero cash cow

gonna be jumping up and down after each screening stoked about how serviceable these films are

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Otisburg posted:

i'm extremely stoked for "serviceable movies" in the vein of the homogenized milk from the teat of the marvel children's costumed superhero cash cow

gonna be jumping up and down after each screening stoked about how serviceable these films are

same here bud, looking forward to cracking a brewski w/you and watching space laser swords in space pt 7, now with 100% less trade federation politics

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
OK, EU question. I'm watching ESB as I said I would, and right before he meets Yoda, Luke says something along the lines of "there is something familar about this place"

did anyone take that 100% literally and make a story about how luke had been to dagobah before and somehow forgot? THANKS.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

death .cab for qt posted:

you keep parroting this but ever since disney got its claws into marvel it has consistently put out an average-to-above-average blockbuster movie full of superheroes doing superhero stuff that nobody besides cinematography dorks and marvel turbonerds have had much opinion on besides "that was pretty loving awesome", so what are you worried about

disney is protective over IPs and will be dropping mad cash on good directors and writers to put together serviceable movies that will actually make a half-decent EU for once. the reason the book EU was so hosed was because lucasfilms basically said "open call to all authors: write some star wars fanfiction and we'll publish it was canon" for the first stretch of books, which was an extremely bad idea. that's literally the opposite of how disney has handled marvel movies, so i'm not sure why you're convinced that a company that has been wildly successful at making blockbuster movies without stooping to literal cash-ins for the past few years will start making a dash rendarr trilogy??

rogue one is gonna be sweet btw

All the assurances in the world won't make Iron Man 2, Avengers 2, Captain America 1, Spiderman 3, almost all of the X-Men movies, Hulk 1, Elektra, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, any Fantastic Four, or Blade 3 good. Nothing can take away that hurt of mostly B- and C-level characters' bad movies.

These are just the real bad ones, leaving out the mediocre ones. The simple fact is that in order to meet production schedules that are now planned in excess of 5 years in advance, they are going to shop these out all over the place and hire directors and writers on a budget in order to help control astronomical costs. the quality will be wildly inconsistent, and the childhoods of 40-year-old males will be burnt to cinders. We will never learn how Star Wars ends. We will never learn how Star Wars ends!!!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

All the assurances in the world won't make Iron Man 2, Avengers 2, Captain America 1, Spiderman 3, almost all of the X-Men movies, Hulk 1, Elektra, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, any Fantastic Four, or Blade 3 good. Nothing can take away that hurt of mostly B- and C-level characters' bad movies.

These are just the real bad ones, leaving out the mediocre ones. The simple fact is that in order to meet production schedules that are now planned in excess of 5 years in advance, they are going to shop these out all over the place and hire directors and writers on a budget in order to help control astronomical costs. the quality will be wildly inconsistent, and the childhoods of 40-year-old males will be burnt to cinders. We will never learn how Star Wars ends. We will never learn how Star Wars ends!!!

uh, dude. none of those were disney films. the worst they've done so far is avengers 2

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
actually blade 3 was extremely good you dumb friend of the family

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

death .cab for qt posted:

uh, dude. none of those were disney films. the worst they've done so far is avengers 2

does that make any of the things I said not true? no.

The only way we can get through is by not making any more Star Wars movies.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm still optimistic the new movie will be good.

curious lump posted:

actually blade 3 was extremely good you dumb friend of the family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8rCtzKA9tQ

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

If you want to get a good grasp of how clueless and vain Lucas is, realize that he'll probably have to die before we get the VHS versions of Star Wars 4, 5, and 6 on Blu Ray without his frankly horrible alterations.

Why would that be necessary? I thought, now that Disney owned the rights, they could release them in whatever versions they wanted.

Lucas has been tweaking with these things forever. I'm pretty sure the original theatrical screening just said "Star Wars" before he went back and added "Episode IV: A New Hope."

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 1, 2015

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Jurgan posted:

Why would that be necessary? I thought, now that Disney owned the rights, they could release them in whatever versions they wanted.

Crazy enough, Fox owns the distribution rights to 4 in perpetuity (some insane deal Lucas made in order for Fox to actually make the movie), and the rights to 5 and 6 until 2020. So there's not going to be an original box set until 2020 at the earliest, and that's assuming Disney works out a deal with Fox for episode 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Jurgan posted:

Lucas has been tweaking with these things forever. I'm pretty sure the original theatrical screening just said "Star Wars" before he went back and added "Episode IV: A New Hope."

Adventures of the Starkiller, Episode One: The Star Wars

• Locked thread