Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of Steampunk Rally, what other engine-builder games are out there besides it and Galaxy Trucker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of Steampunk Rally, what other engine-builder games are out there besides it and Galaxy Trucker?
It's really hard to answer this question without first working out what you mean by 'engine'. GT isn't an engine builder by the traditional definition.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The aforementioned Temporum is an acceptable time travel game that has no deduction at all.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I have sheep for wood.

e: gently caress.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

I have sheep for wood.

e: gently caress.
Please don't say the forbidden joke, it's even in the OP.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

XCom boardgame, does it solo well?

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Okay Goons, my friend Joe is wanting to buy a board game for one of his friends for Christmas and came to me for some suggestions. From what I'm told this friend's gaming experience so far is rather limited, and he knows that she's played and enjoyed Relic and Zombies!!!. It's not much to go on I know, so I was thinking of some decent suggestions from a couple of different categories so Joe (who's played a lot of board games with me) can take a decent punt.

Based on her like of Relic let's get the comedy recommendation of Talisman out the way first and save Rubitex a post.

Part of me wants to just say "Get her Codenames." It's probably the best suggestion. Thing is I'm more of a Euro game so I don't really know much about what thematic games might be appropriate. Pandemic could be a good option as it's certainly got theme, Hanabi comes to mind as something cheap and cheerful, and I guess Dead of Winter is basically a bigger version of Zombies!!! despite it's flaws.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Eldritch Horror question: does anyone know how you're meant to play against Syzygy?

Game 2 we decided that since Syzygy's mysteries were harsh but the reverse side of Syzygy could be completed without solving mysteries at all, what we should really do is ignore the mysteries, use the mystic ruins to flip Syzygy sooner, and then just win with the endgame special encounters.

Since nobody else responded to this I'm gonna guess maybe nobody else has Strange Remnants except me. That said I've only played twice, but one was a win so there's that. Basically we treated the Mystic Ruins like the Active Expedition - something to do if you're in the area and nothing else is super urgent, but otherwise ignorable.

To your second game mention - I don't have the game in front of me now but iirc Syzygy's reverse side is made easier dependent on how many mysteries you have completed previously, so the obvious plan is to have Syzygy flip via mysteries rather than eldritch tokens on the red omen. I want to say it also has one of the biggest Mythos decks which suggests you can take your time, and only two of the cards are blue so once you deal with those you're set.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The General posted:

XCom boardgame, does it solo well?

No, pretty much the entire point of the game is the interaction between the different players under a time constraint.

Zveroboy posted:

Okay Goons, my friend Joe is wanting to buy a board game for one of his friends for Christmas and came to me for some suggestions. From what I'm told this friend's gaming experience so far is rather limited, and he knows that she's played and enjoyed Relic and Zombies!!!. It's not much to go on I know, so I was thinking of some decent suggestions from a couple of different categories so Joe (who's played a lot of board games with me) can take a decent punt.

Based on her like of Relic let's get the comedy recommendation of Talisman out the way first and save Rubitex a post.

Part of me wants to just say "Get her Codenames." It's probably the best suggestion. Thing is I'm more of a Euro game so I don't really know much about what thematic games might be appropriate. Pandemic could be a good option as it's certainly got theme, Hanabi comes to mind as something cheap and cheerful, and I guess Dead of Winter is basically a bigger version of Zombies!!! despite it's flaws.

:siren:Always buy Codenames:siren:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Probably a bit off topic, but I've been asked to identify some sprues over on boardgamegeek as part of the secret santa thing. Please help me so I won't have to deal with the crazies over there.

This is from Codenames!
This is from The Prodigals Club!
This is from Ships!

Got 'em all! Thanks!

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 1, 2015

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Single Tight Female posted:

Since nobody else responded to this I'm gonna guess maybe nobody else has Strange Remnants except me. That said I've only played twice, but one was a win so there's that. Basically we treated the Mystic Ruins like the Active Expedition - something to do if you're in the area and nothing else is super urgent, but otherwise ignorable.

To your second game mention - I don't have the game in front of me now but iirc Syzygy's reverse side is made easier dependent on how many mysteries you have completed previously, so the obvious plan is to have Syzygy flip via mysteries rather than eldritch tokens on the red omen. I want to say it also has one of the biggest Mythos decks which suggests you can take your time, and only two of the cards are blue so once you deal with those you're set.

When I beat Syzygy it was by doing the mysteries. That said, the second time I tried we got destroyed by some bullshit "go to the mystic ruins and discard a clue AND a spell, also do this once for each investigator and you have six" mystery, so there's probably some nuance I'm missing. :argh:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

First picture I think is Codenames.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Confirmed.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

Thanks! That'll teach me to only play my homemade knockoff! In my defense it's because I need a version in Danish.
*Edit* Figured one out on my own. The one with the triangle is from The Prodigals Club.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 1, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

If you thought Tom Vasel is insufferable, check out these paragons of tabletop entertainment coverage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsmx6D1IXpE

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
So I recommended Codenames to my friend and I went full fan-girl about it because I wrote a loving wall-of-text Facebook message giving a quick overview of the rules and how awesome the game is and simple it is to teach and the number of cards and how the assassin works and the tension christ you could cut it with a knife sometimes and omg its loving funny to watch the spymaster break out in a cold sweat when they realise their clue potentially includes the assassin and...yeah :ohdear:

It's okay, I'm simply spreading the Good Word of Vlaada.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

If you thought Tom Vasel is insufferable, check out these paragons of tabletop entertainment coverage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsmx6D1IXpE
25 seconds

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lichtenstein posted:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zveroboy posted:

They love Relic, I don't see how I can't not recommend Talisman......

But seriously, don't buy them a brain crunching Euro game just because that's what you would want them to like. Maybe go half way and get Prophecy? It's a theoretically better designed version of Relic/Talisman by the same guy that made Codenames.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 1, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zveroboy posted:

So I recommended Codenames to my friend and I went full fan-girl about it because I wrote a loving wall-of-text Facebook message giving a quick overview of the rules and how awesome the game is and simple it is to teach and the number of cards and how the assassin works and the tension christ you could cut it with a knife sometimes and omg its loving funny to watch the spymaster break out in a cold sweat when they realise their clue potentially includes the assassin and...yeah :ohdear:

Codenames is tense? The most tension we feel playing it is when someone gives a clever clue and the active team suggests every remaining agent on their side except the ones intended - and that's the spymasters desperately trying to hold in the laughter.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Ettin posted:

When I beat Syzygy it was by doing the mysteries. That said, the second time I tried we got destroyed by some bullshit "go to the mystic ruins and discard a clue AND a spell, also do this once for each investigator and you have six" mystery, so there's probably some nuance I'm missing. :argh:

Mysteries are hard. You really want to do them though, and if you move the omen back to green then it won't get a token so you can spend some time in Ruins and some time on mysteries, with the majority focused on getting stronger.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zveroboy posted:

Pandemic is a pretty good idea since it is a good game and a lot of people have never played a cooperative game before (Flashpoint is a good alternative if you are bored with Pandemic but looking for a similar type of game). I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Dominion yet (maybe I just missed it). Codenames is obviously good, but a game like Love Letter can be a nice stocking stuffer.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

If literally their entire frame of reference is Relic and Zombies then there's no telling what they might like and might not like. Get them literally any good, light-ish game and hope for the best.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Serious answer: Claustrophobia.

It has dice and monsters and dungeons, so they won't go "eww, cabbage farming", light enough they won't feel intimidated by it, and nice game in general. Its mechanics will let you nudge them to either some nice FFG ameritrash, or euros from the Castles of Burgundy/Alien Frontiers angle. It also has minis, which is good I guess?

I would suggest against anti-Zombies Mall/City of Horror, because that could instill a dangerous idea of zombie games being worthy of consideration.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Scyther posted:

If literally their entire frame of reference is Relic and Zombies then there's no telling what they might like and might not like. Get them literally any good, light-ish game and hope for the best.

As someone who started this hobby with Zombies!!! and talisman, which is the original relic, let me just allow them to skip the transitional periods and say to get Caverna, dungeon lords, or terra Mystics - or codenames if they want a party game. They could opt to get Ra or Puerto Rico also, but those aren't as flashy or new.

E: dungeon lords' only failing here is setup time because the gameplay is fast as hell.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 1, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Zveroboy posted:

It's a pretty good party game, yeah.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tekopo posted:

It's really hard to answer this question without first working out what you mean by 'engine'. GT isn't an engine builder by the traditional definition.
Well, just going on what people have been saying around here, I thought "engine builder" meant a game where you assemble some sort of contrivance via card layouts. I haven't played GT, I just saw it mentioned like it was similar.

Basically I'm interested in other games like Steampunk Rally.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Right, just wanted to make sure. Engine Builder usually means game in which you run an 'engine' ie you feed it resources a, which it then transforms into b which are then transformed into points/other resources. An example is like Le Havre: you have something that makes iron, which you then turn into steel, which you then turn into boats.

Your definition of engine builder does have a few other games, like Goblins Inc. I've played it and I wasn't really that excited about it although I sort of liked the idea of it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

One more play of Quartermaster General has now solidified my opinion of the game: it's poo poo. I can almost stand the extreme swingyness of the decks themselves and the fact that if some cards come out early, that side has a definite advantage, but what I can't stand is the lack of options and catch-up mechanisms if you are losing. Going "I discard 4 to place a guy in my home space" and watching him getting destroyed over and over again is not okay.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Chill la Chill posted:

As someone who started this hobby with Zombies!!! and talisman, which is the original relic, let me just allow them to skip the transitional periods and say to get Caverna, dungeon lords, or terra Mystics - or codenames if they want a party game. They could opt to get Ra or Puerto Rico also, but those aren't as flashy or new.

E: dungeon lords' only failing here is setup time because the gameplay is fast as hell.

Also Mage Knight.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

This is my very own copy of Dungeon Petz:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tekopo posted:

This is my very own copy of Dungeon Petz:

Do you bend the side of the box down so you can slide the components out rather than remove the box top

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

This is also most of my gameboxes. It sucks for reselling, but there's no way to preserve the corners if you're trransporting them in a backback, rather than gaming purely at home.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Ettin posted:

I think that nuance might just be getting a Blessing of Isis* early.

*or whatever the +1 to all skills spell is

edit: also playing Ursula Downs

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would like the know the size of the large backpacks you guys are using to hold games like dungeon pets. I just keep mine in the car with other games inside larger boxes so they don't move around as much.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's not too big: my backpack could fit Dungeon petz and Space alert with room to spare for Yomi.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

In my case, it's a rectangular-ish backpack with an internal sleeve for a laptop. It's fairly unassuming, but it's the exact size to pack like FFG boxes and poo poo (though if you want to fit more than two boxes you might need to pack them together carefully so they fit.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's Christmas list season, can I leverage the hivemind for some game recommendations? What's been this year's New Hotness besides Splendor?

We're not big 2-player games, or on direct confrontation aka "thwartsmanship".

Games we usually enjoy:
7 Wonders
Splendor
Castles of Burgundy (but nobody ever wants to try Trajan :smith:)
Dominion (for a few weekends every couple months, sort of a rolling burnout)
6nimmt
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
Brass
Chrononauts
Steam (the recent remake of Age of Steam)
Ticket to Ride
Yggdrasil (someone please sell me the expansion! Or scan your expansion god cards?)
Arkham Horror
Tash-Kalar
Libertalia
Space Alert
Space Catan

Is [redacted] cool? It looks cool.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Broken Token, please make boardgame condoms for backpacking games, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I would like the know the size of the large backpacks you guys are using to hold games like dungeon pets. I just keep mine in the car with other games inside larger boxes so they don't move around as much.

Get a sports bag or tote. The one I have can take standard square boxes across its footprint in pairs and up to three vertical layers. It's also wide enough to take a portrait box side on along with a coffin box like Kemet or Legendary Encounters or a large box like The Gallerist with a smaller box like Celestia or Spyrium. I even managed to get Cthulhu Wars, Archipelago and Hyperborea in it once, but that was a stretch and more weight than I want to carry in it regularly.