Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

The only civilized and rational way to play this game is at MAXIMUM SPEED at ALL TIMES, pausing to interact with the game or UI in anyway.

This is Truth.

This is Light.

This is the Path.

Nice.

I hope if you disable floating tax income it also disables the clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... clink.... sound effect.

when i play euiv you would think i have early access to stellaris because all of my decisions are being carried out at light speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Another Person posted:

when i play euiv you would think i have early access to stellaris because all of my decisions are being carried out at light speed

Generals also travel at light speed :science:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Another Person posted:

Actually, that is a good point, the Cossacks comes out tomorrow. EU newbie, maybe don't get attached to your current run because your save will be broken tomorrow morning.

Yep.

And in case anyone else is wondering if their old saves are going to work in 1.14, there's map changes, so the answer is almost certainly no.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yep.

And in case anyone else is wondering if their old saves are going to work in 1.14, there's map changes, so the answer is almost certainly no.

More than just map changes, there will also be systems changes too like how things boot and entire mechanics which have been added, which will definitely break poo poo if saves worked across versions. Cossacks is looking great, I love being able to look at something and say "this poo poo I did before will all break and every bit of it will be worth it".

What EU are we up to now? EUIV? V? VI? VII? Cause I'd say this game has felt like a totally different game every year.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I can't wait for the first posts to flood in about running into a lost roman expedition in the random new world.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The western cavalry pack is a good idea in theory but retarded in execution since you pretty much only ever seen the infantry and artillery sprite in Western nations. It'll be cool to see a unique sprite when I build an extra cavalry or two every century I guess.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Larry Parrish posted:

The western cavalry pack is a good idea in theory but retarded in execution since you pretty much only ever seen the infantry and artillery sprite in Western nations. It'll be cool to see a unique sprite when I build an extra cavalry or two every century I guess.

Maybe there is an undocumented change that will have cavalry appear more often? Like they are weighted more heavily now than infantry for displaying purposes? Who knows. Probably not.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I've never really gotten the appeal of sprite packs at all. I basically never see them, only everything around them. I am usually way too busy thinking and planning to pay attention to the sick gambeson my dudes are wearing and how much the french gambeson sucks in comparison. Always focusing on other things, like numbers of men, flags so I have an idea of whose troops to avoid, terrain, rivers, attrition. I basically end up looking at everything but the sprite. My army may as well be a moving text box of information rather than a sprite.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Another Person posted:

1) When picking a nation to play as, I would recommend quickly looking to see if they have a page on the EUIV wiki. All major nations and almost all minor nations have one. That will help you avoid any mistakes like aggressively trying to take Aragon when you could just inherit them naturally via historical event. If a nation has unique decisions or events, then you can guarantee someone out there has written a 2000 word essay about how it all works as well as strategy guides if you need them. You don't need to read all of the pages for every nation, but as a beginner who hasn't seen how a game might unfold, it can be useful to take a quick cursory glance over the major events and decisions of a nation before you pick them up and start them. The Ottomans, for example, has a whole range of events and paths it can go down, which might be useful for you to look into to plan your nation ahead of time.

This part of the game is the most frustrating thing as a new player - I really wish there were someway to see these special events in-game (Burgundy and this one are the most obvious ones, but there's several other big events that can change what you should be doing). It doesn't necessarily have to be right in the player's face, because I'm sure there are one or two people out there who want to be surprised, but putting the information somewhere the player can get at it would be a huge quality of life improvement (much like the disaster information showing up was).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Another Person posted:

I've never really gotten the appeal of sprite packs at all. I basically never see them, only everything around them. I am usually way too busy thinking and planning to pay attention to the sick gambeson my dudes are wearing and how much the french gambeson sucks in comparison. Always focusing on other things, like numbers of men, flags so I have an idea of whose troops to avoid, terrain, rivers, attrition. I basically end up looking at everything but the sprite. My army may as well be a moving text box of information rather than a sprite.

Well yeah when you're in a war it's often too hectic, but there's plenty of downtime between them for you to see the units properly. It's one of the best ways to show visual differentiation between teams, I'm glad they're doing them. The map feels a ton more diverse with the variation.

Also those cavalry are for the most played nations in the game by a fair margin aren't they? Much as I want new units for Korea and Mongolia and Majapahit, it kind of makes sense for the artists to give undue focus to the tags that get like 50% of all playtime in EU4.

e: also what do people think about this?

Lori posted:

- Breaking an alliance now gives a truce for 5 years between the nations breaking it.

I think some kind of penalty is good, but 5 stability and war exhaustion? It seems a bit severe, people turning on their allies on a dime has a lot of historical precedent and this is gonna screw over a lot of strategies. Forcing a truce that long feels kinda gamey for some reason.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 1, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Koramei posted:

Well yeah when you're in a war it's often too hectic, but there's plenty of downtime between them for you to see the units properly. It's one of the best ways to show visual differentiation between teams, I'm glad they're doing them. The map feels a ton more diverse with the variation.

Also those cavalry are for the most played nations in the game by a fair margin aren't they? Much as I want new units for Korea and Mongolia and Majapahit, it kind of makes sense for the artists to give undue focus to the tags that get like 50% of all playtime in EU4.

I guess I just pay far less attention to my units than other people must then? I basically never notice any of the details on my troops and see them solely as a general silhouette or shape on the map. My key visual distinction between my men and others on the map is basically "is the troop count box green?"

I guess not seeing them as people but as numbers and silhouettes just makes it easier for me to march them to die sieging down some mountain hellhole in Russia.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I like the sprite packs just for differentiation, but I always wait until they're like $2 or less in some sale.

Pikaoh
Sep 21, 2009

Hey folks, Fake Ronnie here.

TTBF posted:

Was there ever an explanation as to why natives can't build boats? I'm kind of disappointed that's still in there.

e: Here's an interesting summary of some of the patch notes.

Where are the boats Paradox.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Another Person posted:

I play right at the threshold between where province names and nation names show up so I see them a lot, along with castle sprites and national monuments. I just think the default western graphic for the first 2 levels is ridiculously lovely looking is all.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I just want to finish my dumb achievements before Cossacks comes out, but I'm fighting these late-game wars!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

quote:

- Added "Prevent Nation Ruining" multiplayer Option which blocks certain destructive actions by players that have lost a war as long as the truces after that war are in effect.

Heh. Kind of wonder what actions those are...

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Heh. Kind of wonder what actions those are...

iirc it's been explained somewhere. Releasing vassals, selling provinces and I think voluntarily taking loans are among the forbidden actions.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

No-one is ever going to see cavalry sprites.

Another Person posted:

I guess I just pay far less attention to my units than other people must then? I basically never notice any of the details on my troops and see them solely as a general silhouette or shape on the map. My key visual distinction between my men and others on the map is basically "is the troop count box green?"

I guess not seeing them as people but as numbers and silhouettes just makes it easier for me to march them to die sieging down some mountain hellhole in Russia.

I also barely notice them, though granted I do not think I have much in the way of sprite packs.

However. There is one exception. The Brittany HYW infantry. I do not remember what it looks like, just that it is flat out amazing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So what's going to be the wacky bug that comes with the patch tomorrow? 20 Estates instead of three?

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Cheers for all the help fellas. No biggie about starting again, guess I'll grab this dlc too.

I'll check out that Wiki but just one more question, how do you influence trade with ships? I sent my merchant to Constantinople to increase my influence and built a market there. However I have no idea what to do with ships other than transport troops and fight other ships, I haven't really invested in them at all.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

jpparker55 posted:

Cheers for all the help fellas. No biggie about starting again, guess I'll grab this dlc too.

I'll check out that Wiki but just one more question, how do you influence trade with ships? I sent my merchant to Constantinople to increase my influence and built a market there. However I have no idea what to do with ships other than transport troops and fight other ships, I haven't really invested in them at all.

Light ships (barques at the start) you send to trade nodes using the protect trade button. Send them to either your home trade node or nodes that feed into your home trade node.

Ignore the tooltip that says how much money they produce while protecting trade; it's completely wrong.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

e: also what do people think about this?

I think some kind of penalty is good, but 5 stability and war exhaustion? It seems a bit severe, people turning on their allies on a dime has a lot of historical precedent and this is gonna screw over a lot of strategies. Forcing a truce that long feels kinda gamey for some reason.

Alliance, not truce

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

Light ships (barques at the start) you send to trade nodes using the protect trade button. Send them to either your home trade node or nodes that feed into your home trade node.

Ignore the tooltip that says how much money they produce while protecting trade; it's completely wrong.

The fact that those tooltips factor in maintenance costs is insane to me. Like, depending on the node they won't incur (significant) attrition anyway... So it's not like you aren't already paying that cost by virtue of having a fleet

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

jpparker55 posted:

Ok so here is a really simplified explanation of the economic (including trade) systems. You have three basic sources of income: taxes, production, and trade.

Tax Income = Base Tax * (100% + Tax Modifiers)
Production Income = Goods Produced * Price * Production Efficiency
Trade Income = Goods Produced * Price * Trade Efficiency * "Trade Share"

Taxes do not scale with technology while Production and Trade do. Taxes are also penalized in off-culture and heavily in overseas provinces, so they're most useful early in the game and fall off in relative importance as you tech up and expand. Note that since Trade and Production are based entirely off tech and ideas (minimum value of 1% though) if you are starting as for example a New World nation with tech level 1 you will have 1% Production and Trade Efficiency so taxes are a big loving deal.

Production is based on the value of the local trade goods, so look at prices to suggest where you might want to prioritize Production buildings like Workshops and Manufactories.

Trade is where things get complicated, it's basically the same formula as Production but Trade income can flow between nodes based on Trade Power. You want to increase your Power in valuable nodes you don't otherwise control in order to siphon their income into your own pocket. Usually you want to dominate your home (capital) node ASAP in order to monopolize collecting of trade there and then funnel everything home. Merchants mostly direct the flow of trade, they do add some Trade Power but largely they're just street signs.

So you want to send your trade ships to high-value nodes you can steer home, but currently don't have a strong share of Power in.

It's also worth noting that if you look at the Production and Trade income formulas, they double dip on Goods Produced so it is sort of the economic ur-stat (it also affects gold mines while production efficiency does not). I'd say +10% Goods Produced is a better bonus than +10% Production and Trade Efficiency combined.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also just a reminder for everyone working on achievements with pre-DLC saves, you can always go to the beta menu in Steam and revert to an older patch. This allows you to complete campaigns and earn achievements on older patch versions and otherwise broken saves.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Another Person posted:

They don't really add much to the game and I have a hard time saying they're really worth even paying for, but they do add a little but if extra visual flare to the map that I like. I'd rather have them then not.

I usually get them during steam sales when they're a handful of pennies each and I can buy them by selling off my trading cards.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Funky Valentine posted:

So what's going to be the wacky bug that comes with the patch tomorrow? 20 Estates instead of three?

If you have a cavalry sprite being displayed, any nation will vassalize to you, despite size or distance.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

GSD posted:

I'm surprised it took this long for Wiz to break up the Hansa, honestly. Since he broke it up in EU3+.

Ironically, its the one of only 3 things I did on Cossacks. The other being the Victory Cards, and a large part of the design.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

quote:

- Denmark is now slightly richer at start.
- Skċne, Halland & Blekinge are no longer swedish cores from the start.
- Sweden and Denmark no longer starts our as historical rivals.
- Split the Hansa up into the Free Cities of Bremen and Hamburg and the Merchant Republic of Lübeck.

It's not just the splintering of the Hansa, Denmark also got some real nice perks in Cossacks. Northern Europe in general ought to be a lot more interesting.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

It's not just the splintering of the Hansa, Denmark also got some real nice perks in Cossacks. Northern Europe in general ought to be a lot more interesting.

Those changes along with removing the possibility of the Finnmark-esque reformation centers will be amazing.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

pdxjohan posted:

Ironically, its the one of only 3 things I did on Cossacks. The other being the Victory Cards, and a large part of the design.

I am a little surprised though, I considered it, like government rank, as one of the EU3+ ideas that would inevitably, piece by piece, be added into 4. :v:

But I approve. I like the Hamburg ideas, and this makes it easier than starting as The Hansa and release-and-playing Hamburg.

Keep up the good work.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
Man, super excited for Cossacks tomorrow, but I have a quick question. I was playing a MP game where I am forced to rely on large quantities of Mercenary forces due to low manpower. I notice that sometimes after battles, 0 strength mercenaries automatically disband (at the end of the month? at the end of the battle? not clear) rather than stay to replenish.

I do not merge them or anything, they simply disband, which is problematic since I really need those regiments to remain and reinforcing. Why is it happening? am I utilizing too many mercenaries, a bug or WAD?

And is this being changed in Cossacks? I have no clue

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I have never noticed mercenaries disappearing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Its probably working as intended for mercs to poof when their manpower hits zero.

pdxjohan posted:

Busy working among the stars?

Node fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 1, 2015

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I've noticed mercenaries disbanding themselves as well, but I have no idea why. It happens rarely enough that it made me wonder if I'm just going crazy each time I noticed it.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

Node posted:

Its probably working as intended for mercs to poof when their manpower hits zero.

The thing is that not all mercs go poof. Some do, some don't. The inconsistency is confusing and problematic especially when I'm fighting a Hellwar on the Continent against a bohemia larger than the HRE as England (Every man must do his duty and regenerate, not disappear!)

Joopjan
Nov 5, 2009
Might be related to 0 strength mercenaries taking attrition dmg

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

quote:

- Saves are now quarterly instead of monthly in Ironman.

The best change.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Node posted:

If you have a cavalry sprite being displayed, any nation will vassalize to you, despite size or distance.

Nono, if you annex a nation, you also annex all of their Estates, which are added to your own. End game you have 435 Estates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Didn't see this mentioned before but Leaderboards are tied to Paradox Accounts.

quote:

The Leaderboard is a new feature for players that love to challenge themselves in Ironman mode. If you are logged into your Paradox Account, have a Forum name and play EU4 in Ironman, your game score will be logged and updated as you play.

I am guessing the expansion will be on steam at 6pm CET?

• Locked thread