Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Ryanbomber posted:

Not really. Adlo shields for more, casts faster, doubles on a crit, and has a heal attached to it.

Really? I've been yelled at a lot recently for not having it. I guess that's just pubbies being pubbies. Swiftcast is life, though (often literally).

e: Not asking "really?" about adlo; I already know how much it owns. Surprised that it's THAT much better than stoneskin, though.

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Stoneskin is stupid and is only 10% so if you see a healer not dpsing to cast stoneskin you should ~educate~ them on how to play their $15 a month

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Let them know you're not going to cast stoneskin on them by pulling and soloing the whole dungeon. This is a good indication that they should shut the gently caress up.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i would like to discuss the viability of wearing mind jewelery as pld in order to play as a "battle cleric" type character

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just finished the calendar event questline, loved all the FFXI throwbacks :)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

sword_man.gif posted:

i would like to discuss the viability of wearing mind jewelery as pld in order to play as a "battle cleric" type character

Not sure how serious you are about that, but considering they have no access to Swiftcast and Clemency's cast time is longer than the recast time, not very.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not sure how serious you are about that, but considering they have no access to Swiftcast and Clemency's cast time is longer than the recast time, not very.

also clemency scales off of attack power

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Black_Oni 165 posted:

Progress update.

Started as Lancer, got to 15, got the class skill and then went and got all basic classes unlocked from the various cities.

Someone please convince me to not go craft/gathering crazy and build stuff for literally each class.

Crafting as a system pretty much doesn't really work until you've leveled a couple of them to 50 and all of them to 15. It's also expensive as gently caress and time consuming as all hell. It also pretty much needs 1 combat class at 50 to unlock alternate leve locations so you can level it cheap/efficiently. Also gear is spread out all over the place across all the crafters. So for example let's say you wanted to make a monk outfit. You would need goldsmith or leatherworker for jewelry depending on level. Weaver, leatherworker armorer or a combination of all 3 to get all your left armor (my latest set is armorer helm, chest and gloves, weaver pants and ltw boots and belt), and gsm or armorer to make a weapon.

If you are enjoying the act of crafting then keep at it. Do the Ixal dailies and the GC turn in every day. Just don't fall into some sort of pit where you are trying to make yourself gear. Making yourself gear is really more for alts when you aren't rolling in quest reward stuff

ApplesandOranges posted:

Which crafting and/or gathering class has the best storyline and/or best looking gear rewards? I've got a paltry 30 CUL but I could be persuaded into other directions for if/when I ever pick it up again.

It changes between pre and post expansion. GSM is the best overall pretty easily I think. Pre-HW it was a pretty funny story and post-hw it's actually pretty adorable. Best pre-hw has to be weaver. Best post-hw is Cul and it's not even close. Weaver has the best gear rewards.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can't deal with the seriousness in this post. Is this for real?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

sword_man.gif posted:

As long as it has lots of pie so you can flash more

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

As long as it has lots of pie so you can flash more

it's cool man i'll cross fracture and dot up everything to generate lots of passive aggro so i can spam cure

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

sword_man.gif posted:

it's cool man i'll cross fracture and dot up everything to generate lots of passive aggro so i can spam cure

See, if you ever played FFXI you'd know that you don't need passive aggro so you can spam cure.
Cure is how you get aggro in the first place.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
a healing tank is a legitimately cool idea and I'd play one, I already bust out a heal occasionally if the healer is eating it

though I never played ff11 was that like a thing there

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
You less spammed cure to heal yourself as you did to make threat because ff11 was a stupid game that I love but no one should ever have to play.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
paladin in xi gets more enmity out of just sitting there like an idiot and spamming cures on themselves rather than using their abilities

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Hivac posted:

paladin in xi gets more enmity out of just sitting there like an idiot and spamming cures on themselves rather than using their abilities

well that's no fun

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
yeah cure potency of Paladin in XI was not unlike Cecil in FFIV. Sure, he can cast cure in battle, but the cures were always for terrible amounts and not really worth using. XI just made it work because curing caused lots of enmity

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

cat doter posted:

well that's no fun

to be fair neither are their class abilities

the endgame weaponskills are neat i guess

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

cat doter posted:

well that's no fun

ffxi in a nutshell

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Patch notes are up: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/71744-NA-FINAL-FANTASY-XIV-Hotfixes-%28Nov.-24%29?p=3459053#post3459053

Of note: "The wait time to re-enter “The Diadem” has been reduced from 120 minutes to 45 minutes."

Still no word on whether or not they put new hamsters on the wheels.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

FINAL FANTASY XIV Hotfixes (Nov. 30, 2015)
■The wait time to re-enter “The Diadem” has been reduced from 120 minutes to 45 minutes.
 * We will continue to monitor player feedback regarding "The Diadem" and make further adjustments as necessary.

■Adjustments have been made to the Duty Finder algorithm where queues will be based upon queue order regardless of being queued for specific content or for a roulette.

■The shortcut buttons (XYAB/□△×◯) used in combination with the LB/L1 buttons on the gamepad/controller for Lord of Verminion have been fixed to the following button settings, regardless of the player’s button configuration.
 LB(L1)+X(□): Execute Action
 LB(L1)+Y(△): Select all minions that are the same type as the minion currently selected
 LB(L1)+A(×): Select all friendly minions that are the same type as the minion currently selected
 LB(L1)+B(◯): Select all friendly minions that are near the minion currently selected
* There is currently an issue with the tutorial and play guide wherein the button texts are incorrect.

■The following issues have been fixed:
• An issue in “The Void Ark” during the Echidna fight wherein the amount of damage displayed for “Demonic Descent” was not displaying correctly.
• An issue with the Lord of Verminion Challenge “Stage 1: Tutorial” wherein the player was unable to progress when under certain conditions.
• An issue with the Lord of Verminion Challenge “Stage 6: Off the Deepcroft” wherein a channeling line was displayed between certain minions summoned on the player’s side and the boss minion.
• An issue with the Lord of Verminion Challenge “Stage 23: The Binding Coil” wherein certain minions would not perform actions properly.
• An issue with the quest “The Greatest Story Never Told” wherein the player would lose control of their character while progressing through the quest.
• An issue in the Gold Saucer wherein failing the GATE “Vase Off” would count towards the number of GATEs participated for the Challenge Log.
• An issue with the Grand Company NPC “OIC Quartermaster” and the housing area NPC “Resident Caretaker” wherein under certain conditions purchases were not being processed properly when purchasing items with Company Credits.
• An issue with the Vanu Vanu Beast Tribe Quest “A Bone to Pick” wherein certain texts were appearing incorrectly.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
you can buy red/white magitek mounts for $12

they play Steel Reason

I am beyond sold.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Niton posted:

you can buy red/white magitek mounts for $12

they play Steel Reason

I am beyond sold.

god dammit *grievously opens wallet*

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I told myself I wouldn't shell out 12 bucks for a mount but Steel Reason is so good.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Eej posted:

ffxi in a nutshell

I should check out ffxi one of these days since everything I hear about it sounds loving weird, like someone designed an MMO after only hearing what they were like second hand

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

worht it. also servers are up

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
https://my.mixtape.moe/qnfdos.mp3

i just saved you 12 bucks, play this while riding the one of the two magitek mounts that are free

or listen to their theme because its better

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Velthice posted:

worht it. also servers are up

Does it come with the blasters?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Burger McAngus posted:

Does it come with the blasters?

no neither of them do. their wings glow and so do a lot of parts inbetween the armor plates (it's a lot more noticable on the red one than the white one) but they are basically prettier versions of the gilded magitek

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Belzac posted:

Let them know you're not going to cast stoneskin on them by pulling and soloing the whole dungeon. This is a good indication that they should shut the gently caress up.

This is unironically how sch should handle whiny primadonna tanks, it works for me.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

cat doter posted:

I should check out ffxi one of these days since everything I hear about it sounds loving weird, like someone designed an MMO after only hearing what they were like second hand

From what I understand it incorporated a lot of EQ poo poo which kinda was -the- mmo at the time

i've never actually played EQ myself so that could just have been bullshit that i heard somewhere at some point so :shrug:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Hivac posted:

From what I understand it incorporated a lot of EQ poo poo which kinda was -the- mmo at the time

i've never actually played EQ myself so that could just have been bullshit that i heard somewhere at some point so :shrug:

i picked up XI because of the 10 dollar sale and hosed a bit with it, and i've played an ungodly amount of EQ

a lot of the features seem backwards from EQ design which seems odd considering it came out later

like it has good quality of life features like healing mode (i dont know if this was in FFXI at launch or a new feature, EQ added something like it a few years ago) and purchasable maps (eq didn't even really have maps at all for a really long time and you were better served buying a strategy guide for expansions)

trusts are strictly better than EQ's mercenary system in every way, XI has a really hosed up version of EQ's teleport around the world book system, job/merit points seem a lot more convoluted than Alternate Advancement (the thing you do with exp once you're capped in EQ)

and then it has weird stupid poo poo like its horrendous inventory system and a somehow dumber spell system and finding a way to make melee combat even worse

there's a lot of similarities and then just weird "this is better" or "this is a lot worse holy poo poo" designs

aers
Feb 15, 2012

cat doter posted:

I'm pretty sure sometime in the past 6 years they made a ton of changes to make it less hosed. It was definitely hosed for the first half of its life. The combat system probably wasn't salvageable though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh boy a free login campaign for a whole month. Expect the return of the server queue. At least it's only four days an account.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Kwyndig posted:

Oh boy a free login campaign for a whole month. Expect the return of the server queue.

you only get 4 days after your first login, of real world time, not playtime

probably no server queues past the first day

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Picked this up cheapo on a sale over the weekend, just waiting on it to be delivered. Been playing the trial a few days, and I'm fairly sure you'll be seeing me around a fair bit. I've been looking for an MMO to hold my attention for ages since RO went to poo poo.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Doublestep posted:

trusts are strictly better than EQ's mercenary system in every way,

Trusts got added only a few years ago (launch of Seekers), there's also a really clunky adventuring partner system where an npc follows you and autoattacks

quote:

XI has a really hosed up version of EQ's teleport around the world book system

this got added way way way later on, during the so-called ~glory days~ the only real big teleports were the WHM crag ports

edit: oops tags

Reco fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 1, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I couldn't lose my gear beacause I can't find my body. This automatically makes ffxi superior to eq.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hivac posted:

this got added way way way later on, during the so-called ~glory days~ the only real big teleports were the WHM crag ports

<<Teleport-Dem>> <<Do you have it?>> <<Reward>> 3000g

White Mages were way better than crafters for making easy consistent money back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ but horny
Feb 3, 2011

AH, YES.
YOU FOUND MY
LAIR'S SECRET
ENTRANCE.
:(

• Locked thread