Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

Just get Scrapper perk and then start picking up weapons and armor purely based off of the alphabet soup attached to it's name, and start to ignore all junk that doesn't contain gears, circuitry, nuclear materials, bone, or copper.

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bone is used to make cutting fluid which is a source of oil. Useful if you're crafting a ton of grenades.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I found adhesive to be the most scarce thing overall because crafting any mod requires it. Aluminum too.

Generally by the time I actually had recipes for Fiber Optics, Nuclear Materials, and Circuitry I had plenty stocked up. You don't use a lot of those.

Edit: also the Institute has absurd amounts of high-end junk sitting around for you to freely grab.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 1, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
once you have glue fields up and running, adhesive is pretty common. it just sucks in the early game when you are modding your beginning weapons and gear. never had an issue with oil. plenty to be found in the wastes if you have it tagged.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

lewtt posted:

so for those of you with 60+hz monitors, you dont have to cap your framerate to avoid getting stuck at terminals. Searched the forums but couldn't find this fix posted

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3up7t7/stuck_at_terminal_easy_fix/

with three fallout 4 topics i dunno which to post this in so here you go fellas

Still need to so lockpicking is possible and the game speed isn't cartoonish, but I've still had this happen a few times while capped at 72 fps, so thank you.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
every 1 cutting fluid requires EIGHT bone. Bone can be pretty darn hard to find until you start consistently walking through super mutant camps like it's not a big deal.

Tonight might have been the first time I was just dicking around for an hour or so and then hit the chem bench and had 120-something bone !!! :psyduck: so I promptly made 15 or 16 fluids and picked a new perk and was very pleased to make that number higher so I can indiscriminately mod new weapons without rifling through hundreds of mods (I sold them all anyway, got tired of scrolling).

Not having most herbs be useful or very hard to accumulate helps a lot, since you can't farm them. As does getting 200+ exp for crafting a dozen-plus cutting fluids out of the garbage you brought back to base (and then cooking the enemies which effectively doubles their exp for you, until late game)

Adhesive can be easily, easily farmed by just making GBS threads out a dozen of the necessary plants in a settlement (or three) and then making it there every once in a while. Plants are a bottleneck very early, but you don't really need to plant them because there are plenty of bases to pick them from if you care to just fasttravel around and loot mutfruit.

edit: corn is the biggest true early game bottleneck that I can't figure out how to skip without doing something console side p much. It seems to ripen the slowest and/or least reliably of most plants, and is the hardest to find in amounts of more then just a few, and even the ones you can find are sometimes not propagatable or usable in your recipes because they're magic corn from vaults, etc. So if you want to focus on finding and growing one plant to make you life easiest fastest, buy and steal all the corn you can find, all the time.

(and never, ever, waste dirty water, and don't ever turn it into pure water)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 1, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hubflower is probably the most annoying plant in the game. Used in several useful chems but it can't be farmed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Internet Kraken posted:

Hubflower is probably the most annoying plant in the game. Used in several useful chems but it can't be farmed.
It's every damned where, I can't find a random encounter that doesn't have 1-3 hublower and/or bloodflower in it. Big blue stars that even are easy to spot in pitch black combat conditions. It's the only one I find enough of to never even think about. Not a ton, just "more than enough".

I only know one place to find silt beans and it's between sanctuary and concord, thank god I don't remember why I wanted them for some drug... Also the mats for syringers are WAY too hard to find, and too many overlap.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Once I started using power armor often I found I needed a lot of aluminum and ceramic so I started grabbing junk I used to ignore like cans and coffee cups. I eventually memorized the junk I found most useful but being able to flag it is still a nice feature. Companion power armor seems to get destroyed pretty quickly too even when upgraded, although I'm not sure if that's just from Cait charging in like a madwoman or not.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Once I started using power armor often I found I needed a lot of aluminum and ceramic so I started grabbing junk I used to ignore like cans and coffee cups. I eventually memorized the junk I found most useful but being able to flag it is still a nice feature. Companion power armor seems to get destroyed pretty quickly too even when upgraded, although I'm not sure if that's just from Cait charging in like a madwoman or not.

Is this X-01 or T60 armor on Cait or something crappier? I've been trying to find a Brotherhood knight to murder so I can upgrade Hancock because I have to repair his T45 after every single minor firefight

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Or you could you know, just tag what you're looking for and when you find it in the wild it very obviously tells you to take it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Since companions are immortal and have infinite ammo with their default guns I'm not going to give them stuff that might break and require resources to repair. Or require actual ammo.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Since companions are immortal and have infinite ammo with their default guns I'm not going to give them stuff that might break and require resources to repair. Or require actual ammo.

this

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I don't even take companions except for dogmeat since he looks so silly with googles on what are you doing, your a dog!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm so glad they got rid of general weapon and armour repair. Having to waste points on repair to make weapon kits sucked.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

What onus would Bethesda have to do what Obsidian did with Fallout? Their track record for Fallout games is better than Obsidian's/BI's.

You're wrong mostly because bethesda cant' write their way out of bubble wrap and obsidian can. Bethesda owning the property means jack poo poo when they have the power to let other, more talented people make the franchise and still reap the money.

Bethesda is bad at a whole lot of things and the sad result are a class of games that are okay but fall short of what htey couldbe in better hands, such as if obsidian got to make themm]. i cant even take people who think bethesda are betterdevelopers than obsidian seriously though

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I just got around to doing the main story missions and Father doesn't make any sense at all. He makes a big point about how he wanted to meet you so badly, and he wants to work with you now, but it's painfully clear from his actions that he's not the least bit interested in you until you successfully break into the Institute. The conversation where you initially meet him was so boring and none of the things I actually wanted to ask or confront him about were dialog options. I should have just killed him on the spot but I wanted to see what would happen if I left. He proceeds to attack the Castle trying to wipe you out, and then when you go back to the Institute he accuses you of being this aggressive barbarian trying to destroy everything. Pretty much every bit of the main quest line past where you find the Course chip is a combination of boredom and frustration.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've found the most rare stuff to be bone because it takes so much to make cutting fluid and you can't pick up 90% of the bones lying all over the game.it weighs a lot too. Also copper and ceramic, but I think the latter is mostly because you don't really think to pick up coffee cups that much.The second 2 are pretty much only useful for base building junk though so whatever.

Adhesive is obviously technically the rarest thing, but you can farm it so quick it doesn't matter at all.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I just got around to doing the main story missions and Father doesn't make any sense at all. He makes a big point about how he wanted to meet you so badly, and he wants to work with you now, but it's painfully clear from his actions that he's not the least bit interested in you until you successfully break into the Institute. The conversation where you initially meet him was so boring and none of the things I actually wanted to ask or confront him about were dialog options. I should have just killed him on the spot but I wanted to see what would happen if I left. He proceeds to attack the Castle trying to wipe you out, and then when you go back to the Institute he accuses you of being this aggressive barbarian trying to destroy everything. Pretty much every bit of the main quest line past where you find the Course chip is a combination of boredom and frustration.

Everything about father and the institute lacks any sort of common sense and I'm just opting not to think about it too hard.

Also, you left out that he aggressively attacks you until you go there because, reasons.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 1, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hemophilia posted:

You're wrong mostly because bethesda cant' write their way out of bubble wrap and obsidian can. Bethesda owning the property means jack poo poo when they have the power to let other, more talented people make the franchise and still reap the money.

Bethesda is bad at a whole lot of things and the sad result are a class of games that are okay but fall short of what htey couldbe in better hands, such as if obsidian got to make themm]. i cant even take people who think bethesda are betterdevelopers than obsidian seriously though

Well Obsidian did say they would announce something in the next two or three months, and that they have been talking with Tim Cain...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just bounce around to all the super mutant strongholds, there's usually a ton of bones in the meat bags

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yeah I was pretty frustrated with most of the main plot after the big "reveal."

Since calling voice actors back to fill in edited/additional dialogue is really expensive, I'd guess Bethesda either wrote and recorded all their dialogue early on or late in the development process. If I were a betting man I'd put money on them building up the world and tacking on the main plot and dialogue at the very end.

I liked the companion writing and a lot of side quests were genuinely fun and cool, the main plot is just a wet fart.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

frajaq posted:

Well Obsidian did say they would announce something in the next two or three months, and that they have been talking with Tim Cain...

Obsidian making a Fallout game with Fallout 4's mechanics would be the most god tier poo poo. I'd lose my marbles if it was real.

Like, a game this good with writing that wasn't garbage..holy moly.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

TheTrend posted:

Or you could you know, just tag what you're looking for and when you find it in the wild it very obviously tells you to take it.

Wow, I had no idea you could tag materials you were looking for. Wish I had known that a while ago.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Since calling voice actors back to fill in edited/additional dialogue is really expensive, I'd guess Bethesda either wrote and recorded all their dialogue early on or late in the development process. If I were a betting man I'd put money on them building up the world and tacking on the main plot and dialogue at the very end.

Yeah, I am deeply confused on how they're going to handle DLC and stuff. I guess they just have the VAs on contract for the next year or so while they roll it out? I don't really mind the voice acted player character, but the dialogue tree/quest logistics because of it are not great. Not to mention it's like a modder's worst nightmare and will basically force the No Player VA mod for any custom content.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Yeah, I am deeply confused on how they're going to handle DLC and stuff. I guess they just have the VAs on contract for the next year or so while they roll it out? I don't really mind the voice acted player character, but the dialogue tree/quest logistics because of it are not great. Not to mention it's like a modder's worst nightmare and will basically force the No Player VA mod for any custom content.

They could use the pre-existing recorded lines. A lot of the lines do sound neutral and at that point all you'll need is voice acting from NPCs.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Obsidian making a Fallout game with Fallout 4's mechanics would be the most god tier poo poo. I'd lose my marbles if it was real.

Like, a game this good with writing that wasn't garbage..holy moly.
don't forget to consider obsidian's love for guns when imagining them getting their hands on the fo4 engine

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Alabaster White posted:

Not to mention it's like a modder's worst nightmare and will basically force the No Player VA mod for any custom content.

If you look at the most popular Skyrim mods on the Nexus, most of them don't deal in audio-centric things. Don't have to worry about how the protagonist sounds for a house mod.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

All those complaining about fallouts deep and immersive story, just have a look at the ending (spoiler warning) of fallout 4 and make your mind up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
By the end of the game the male VA's voice really started to make me upset. Why does he sound like such bland idiot? He's like the post-apocalyptic Lenny Leonard.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

if it makes you feel any better the female one os super bland too.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I put X6 in an armored Courser suit with a kitted out Penetrating Gatling Laser and frag grenades. He's supposed to stay at the Red Rocket station, but he's bugged in my game and keeps showing up at Libertalia if I travel there, which is hilarious because he then proceeds to walk back across the map like some terrible rider of death. I tracked him for 20 minutes and saw him take down three vertibirds, a super mutant camp and a big group of gunners including an assaultron dominator, solo, without going down once. :stare:

I wish I could send out actual patrols, but this'll do for now.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Hey, I found a settlement that needs our help! Go help them out and they will join the minutemen!

Ok no problem my good buddy preston!

Hello settler! gently caress your problem have a shotgun to your face! *fails mission* *clicks on settlement crafting station ~you can now use this station to upgrade the settlement!~*

Oh hey sorry preston they don't want to join!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'm the mother loving general, why the gently caress do I have to report back to Preston and give him a loving report? He should be doing this poo poo, I have bigger issues to deal with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm the mother loving general, why the gently caress do I have to report back to Preston and give him a loving report? He should be doing this poo poo, I have bigger issues to deal with.

Preston - We've just received word of a settlement that needs help! Go there and ask the locals to see what they need.

Me - Sanctuary. The settlement is Sanctuary. Where you are standing. Just loving tell me.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I'm probably in the minority in that I really loved the new settlement system in the game, and I even loved the occasional mission to help people out and the integration with the radio station and stuff. In the end, though, I just had to stop and say I'll come back to it after mods because every new settlement you take over makes the task of protecting them harder to the point where eventually it's impossible and it just feels like you're doing more harm than good taking over the settlements :gonk:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Me - Sanctuary. The settlement is Sanctuary. Where you are standing. Just loving tell me.

We have procedures. This isn't 'Nam, there are rules!

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
My biggest gripe with the settlement stuff is it doesn't give you a BIG RED WARNING that one of your places is under attack. I'll be doing my thing then fast travel someplace and it tells me that I failed to protect some lovely place I don't care about. Generally I wouldn't care but I just wanted to go brawl too, you know?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

I'm probably in the minority in that I really loved the new settlement system in the game, and I even loved the occasional mission to help people out and the integration with the radio station and stuff. In the end, though, I just had to stop and say I'll come back to it after mods because every new settlement you take over makes the task of protecting them harder to the point where eventually it's impossible and it just feels like you're doing more harm than good taking over the settlements :gonk:

I had to give up on settlements after I spent a several hours travellling the world and repairing broken corn.

Repairing corn!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah, I like the settlement system a lot and can't wait for GECK mods to it, but the radiant quests are loving idiotic. When I got the first Sanctuary quest and Preston was like "Go help them, we need all the settlers we can get" I was like, "Uhh, Preston, we founded this settlement like three days ago" I assumed that the location was picked at random and thought, what a good way to help players explore the world. Instead it's just tedious and immersion breaking (and I generally don't care about immersion) because those quests are a constant and unavoidable reminder of how unreactive the world is.

One day I will disable NPC teleporting and drop Preston in a concrete tower with a deathclaw and no doors for his crimes, but for now I use this mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

BambooEarpick posted:

My biggest gripe with the settlement stuff is it doesn't give you a BIG RED WARNING that one of your places is under attack. I'll be doing my thing then fast travel someplace and it tells me that I failed to protect some lovely place I don't care about. Generally I wouldn't care but I just wanted to go brawl too, you know?

It tells you in the exact same manner that your settlement is under attack lol.

• Locked thread