Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

Anything we have over 4160V uses VPI, where you take the windings and put them in a vacuum tank to suck all the air out and replace it with some kind of varnish or epoxy or whatever. I think it was class H insulation for a 185 degree C rise. I think there's also this extra layer of black "corona tape" that I saw these guys using for motors or generators above 4160V.

Rewind shops that repair and build motors are amazing. There was this one motor sitting there from a steel mill that must have been 16 feet high and 16 feet wide. I think it might've been for a blower or fan, and I don't think it was more than five or ten thousand horsepower, but it had an extremely large footprint.

Oh and by the way if you see wires that are marked as "current transformer secondaries" NEVER disconnect them while there's current flowing through the primary. You'll get a fireworks show like you cannot imagine.

yeah we get that sort of job here and there. I hadn't worked on a vpi yet but I heard they get crazy amounts of insulation, like 8+ layers. The corona is a bitch, it rubs off everywhere and will ruin a coil if you don't clean it out of your stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

kalstrams posted:

Yes, 4th degree burn can imply up to (?down to?) necrosis of even bones.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
What is this and when is it going to burn down the building it's in or kill someone?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Air-cooled transformer :haw:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cheez posted:

What is this and when is it going to burn down the building it's in or kill someone?

It's an AC transformer...
I have no idea what the gently caress it's doing there... step-down for a 12v something?
Shouldn't that be in a junction box?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress it's doing there... step-down for a 12v something?

Doorbell?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

spog posted:

Doorbell?

Ding-dong! I think we have a winner!

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the schadenfreude thread, one of the most hair raising videos I've ever seen.

No violence, no death or serious injury, but it took my breath away.

I feel a hell of a lot more confident in my fall harness, now. Holy poo poo.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The doorbell transformer itself is fine where it is, but the wire nuts should be in a junction box.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

The doorbell transformer itself is fine where it is, but the wire nuts should be in a junction box.

Not really. It's made so the threaded nipple can be inserted through the wall of the box and have a conduit nut installed to hold it in place. The exposed 120 volt conductors are a no-no. That's not to say there aren't literally millions of these installed around the country like in the picture.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Not really. It's made so the threaded nipple can be inserted through the wall of the box and have a conduit nut installed to hold it in place. The exposed 120 volt conductors are a no-no. That's not to say there aren't literally millions of these installed around the country like in the picture.

I'm just saying that the transformer itself doesn't need to be in a box, only the nipple that would go through a knockout in a junction box. That being said, I'm wondering why it has ears for mounting on a stud in the first place. Sure it would add stability, but the transformer isn't very heavy and should be secure enough just attached to the junction box.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm just saying that the transformer itself doesn't need to be in a box, only the nipple that would go through a knockout in a junction box. That being said, I'm wondering why it has ears for mounting on a stud in the first place. Sure it would add stability, but the transformer isn't very heavy and should be secure enough just attached to the junction box.

We use similar transformers in our control panels at work, when needed. You can just secure them directly to a panel box chassis or just the side of the box itself.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I really hope that the blue glow is because he's holding up some kind of phosphorescent paper, and not because he's created an x-ray machine powerful enough to produce a visible image without any kind of sensitized detector :psypop:

The blue glow isn't Cherenkov radiation like Xerxes17 said, but is probably just x-ray fluorescence. This is easiest to understand when compared with UV fluorescent--when you put white paper under a blacklight, electrons in some of the molecules present will be excited to higher-energy states, and will emit photons when they relax back to their ground states. However, when x-rays illuminate paper, they can have enough energy to cause electrons to be freed from molecules. If an inner shell electron is ejected, a higher-energy outer shell electron will take its place, causing a photon to be emitted (like with UV fluorescence) to make up the energy difference between the states.

(i am bad at explaining physics)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
So what you're saying is a wizard did it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slanderer posted:

The blue glow isn't Cherenkov radiation like Xerxes17 said, but is probably just x-ray fluorescence. This is easiest to understand when compared with UV fluorescent--when you put white paper under a blacklight, electrons in some of the molecules present will be excited to higher-energy states, and will emit photons when they relax back to their ground states. However, when x-rays illuminate paper, they can have enough energy to cause electrons to be freed from molecules. If an inner shell electron is ejected, a higher-energy outer shell electron will take its place, causing a photon to be emitted (like with UV fluorescence) to make up the energy difference between the states.

(i am bad at explaining physics)

You mean as caused by an optical brightener, right?

That is, untreated paper (like U.S. banknotes) wouldn’t have glowed.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

Interesting. I am curious though if that has something to do with U.S. currency being linen based (not that I can think of any reason wood would glow better) and if regular bleached paper would/wouldn't glow under a black-light.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That's correct. Basically all white paper will use an optical brightener so that they don't look yellowish. US bills won't fluoresce much since they're printed on cotton, but they do have a fluorescent strip for detecting counterfeits. Modern laundry detergents have fluorescent whiteners too. Teeth whiteners also work the same way.

However, even untreated paper can still fluoresce, just probably not noticeably (but detectable with spectroscopy). I think some plastics will fluoresce naturally, but lots of plastic (or silicone, or any other moldable polymer) components in modern stuff use fluorescent coloring to make them stand out more (which is effective, but only accelerates color changes from prolonged UV light exposure).

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib
I'm staggered that someone can be smart enough to construct a power supply for one of these tubes (it's a non-trivial exercise), but completely oblivious to the obvious danger. Jesus.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Interesting. I am curious though if that has something to do with U.S. currency being linen based (not that I can think of any reason wood would glow better) and if regular bleached paper would/wouldn't glow under a black-light.

You'll be hard-pressed to find modern white paper without it. However, try it on an old library book, or maybe the paper in a drug-store romance paperback.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Cheez posted:

I think I can out do you pretty easily with my doorbell transformer - tapped into knob-and-tube wiring (yes, still in use)

Just to ice the cake - I'm pretty sure it's mounted to a square of asbestos.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Slanderer posted:

You'll be hard-pressed to find modern white paper without it. However, try it on an old library book, or maybe the paper in a drug-store romance paperback.

Try a check/cheque book.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Ponderous Saxon posted:

I'm staggered that someone can be smart enough to construct a power supply for one of these tubes (it's a non-trivial exercise), but completely oblivious to the obvious danger. Jesus.

I'm pretty sure it has to be the combination of combining just enough knowledge to be dangerous with living with a low life expectancy and lack of opportunities. You kind of have to up the ante for thrill seeking to even begin to feel like you're living on the edge.

Like in the US, kids just read Erowid and trip off research chemicals they ordered over the internet. Russian kids do Krokodil. That's a pretty good example, I think.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 30, 2015

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Looks like its about to explode... actually i think its fine... actually nope gonna explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osy2cGfmEAQ

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Applebee123 posted:

Looks like its about to explode... actually i think its fine... actually nope gonna explode.

What the hell is was that?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Applebee123 posted:

I've had a girl do that to me once.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I've had a girl do that to me once.

Gotta watch those liquid metal girls.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

-Zydeco- posted:

Crosspost from the Russia Thread

I felt unsafe just watching that. Wasn't helped by the fact that I could hear other people in the house

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Chainsawing on the forklift in Korea.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was on vacation in NYC this past week and I was walking back to the hotel after lunch on Thanksgiving, when a ton of sections of streets and avenues are closed to traffic for construction of poo poo like holiday markets. One of the traffic signals was opened up at the ground, and the wiring they had pulled out of the post caught my eye. I'm not an electrician, so how does this look?

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I was on vacation in NYC this past week and I was walking back to the hotel after lunch on Thanksgiving, when a ton of sections of streets and avenues are closed to traffic for construction of poo poo like holiday markets. One of the traffic signals was opened up at the ground, and the wiring they had pulled out of the post caught my eye. I'm not an electrician, so how does this look?

Looks right to me. I did traffic signal installation and maintenance a few years ago.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

Reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juZqGU9iuq0

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Surely it would be cheaper to install a permanent pillar containing a compressor and air drier? (assuming that they're using purge nitrogen continuously)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chitoryu12 posted:

On a related note, is it bad for the cover to open like that? Occasionally I see someone has taken the cover off one of the light poles around town. Nobody around, no work being done, likely the work of a hooligan. The first time I noticed one I called city hall so the maintenance guys could fix it since it might not be noticed by city workers for days or weeks, and it seemed bad for rain and rats to be able to get into the hole. I've seen it a couple times since then and just frowned at it as civic duty wrestles with social anxiety. Is this something I ought to call in, or it is fine for the access hole to be open for a few weeks?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Not your problem, don't worry about it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Angela Christine posted:

On a related note, is it bad for the cover to open like that? Occasionally I see someone has taken the cover off one of the light poles around town. Nobody around, no work being done, likely the work of a hooligan. The first time I noticed one I called city hall so the maintenance guys could fix it since it might not be noticed by city workers for days or weeks, and it seemed bad for rain and rats to be able to get into the hole. I've seen it a couple times since then and just frowned at it as civic duty wrestles with social anxiety. Is this something I ought to call in, or it is fine for the access hole to be open for a few weeks?

Some people (meth-addicts mostly) like to steal the covers off light poles to sell as scrap. Unfortunately for the city, the covers are kind of expensive and that's assuming they're even still available so they usually just stay open until someone electrocutes themselves and then they have to go weld blank plates over the holes that will have to be cut off for maintenance.

...or so I've been told. I don't have any firsthand knowledge.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Stolen from the GBS thread about Jewish women:

Yeah,. sandals at a military base, REAL good idea.

Also, does SA not care about image leeching anymore? I originally copy and pasted the link from the original thread, and it was straight from some Israeli blog, not Imgur or some other image host.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also, does SA not care about image leeching anymore? I originally copy and pasted the link from the original thread, and it was straight from some Israeli blog, not Imgur or some other image host.
Eh not so much. I think everyone would prefer that you re-host to imgur or something if only because the image is more likely to disappear or get replaced with a bandwidth exceeded message if you don't, but it's been a long time since someone was probated for leeching or I saw an image get replaced with goatse. This message brought to you by a computer forum mod whose opinions hold no sway here.

E: My memory isn't as good as I thought it was, image leeching rules are still enforced in some cases, so err on the side of caution.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 2, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah,. sandals at a military base, REAL good idea.

lmao

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Alereon posted:

it's been a long time since someone was probated for leeching

I got quite the probation for it recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I passed those last week as well. Nice to know they actually have a purpose and weren't just accidentally left there!

• Locked thread