Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

LiquidRain posted:

And I guess in windex's world no option to upgrade to full frame is the no-go here? (so why does the Nikon 1 get a mention...?) In windex's world I guess he considers only the price to be objective? If we're going to be completely anal about this argument, even that's subjective - price is object, cost is relevant.

My point also is just that none of these arguments hold real weight, but you guys are giving advice as if they do. Thats the problem with subjective arguments.

Also, comedy answer re: Nikon 1... At least there's an F mount adapter. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Clearly canon gave up on selling the M3 outside of Japan because it was just too superior for the lovely photographers from the rest of the world.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The arguments you dismiss as not holding real weight are all the reasons I dumped my Canon gear and switched to Fuji. :confused:

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

LiquidRain posted:

The arguments you dismiss as not holding real weight are all the reasons I dumped my Canon gear and switched to Fuji. :confused:

Not to mention the real weight of all of that Canon gear.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 1, 2015

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Apparently I and many others are doing a grave injustice to the upgrade path and the pedigree of Canon lenses by shooting weddings and concerts on my mirrorless cameras not named M3 for money.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ironically I sold all my Canon gear and switched to Fuji because I didn't see any future upgrade path in Canon.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What ability tree did you guys choose.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The subjectively best one

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

iSheep posted:

Protoss

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Dren posted:

Protoss

Man, look at this rear end in a top hat with his skilltrans sensor. Real pros zerg rush their way to victory with m43's vast lineup of lenses and bodies.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mr. Despair posted:

Man, look at this rear end in a top hat with his skilltrans sensor. Real pros zerg rush their way to victory with m43's vast lineup of lenses and bodies.

Not gonna be talking so tough when the drones collecting minerals to power your tiny sensor get reaver dropped

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Dren posted:

Not gonna be talking so tough when the drones collecting minerals to power your tiny sensor get reaver dropped

It's ok, they're cheap enough that I can just have 5 or 6 bodies for the cost of one canon m3.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

Samesies

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

You just operate a gear charity so that would have worked for any system really

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

You just operate a gear charity so that would have worked for any system really
Fuji fans wait with bated breath for me to purge another system.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Fuji fans wait with bated breath for me to purge another system.
So that we can all not buy your stuff and you can just put it up in a consignment store.

What is your Fuji collection so far? I know you have the 23mm f/1.4 and the 35mm f/2. Is this the 35mm f/2 in action with Leland at long last?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

iSheep posted:

anti-tank

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mr. Despair posted:

The pentax Q and K are the best mirrorless cameras and you're all a bunch of idiots if you think anything different.

Everything else is literal garbage.

The k was legit good it had an excellent Sony sensor and you got compatibility with all the Pentax lenses

I even liked the design :(

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

"If you cannot upgrade to a full frame body the entire system is doomed" is a really exceptionally poor argument

:qq: All the money I made this year shooting weddings and engagements and events in my lovely mirrorless systems :qq:

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Wow 60 new posts, what's hap-:staredog:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

https://strh.se/w5GAGlfdW1y

Here's a set shot and edited entirely on an X100T and an iPad pro. I don't think the content of the photos is anything special beyond the VSCO editing (lots of backs of heads), but as an exercise it is cool to see.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Everyone should buy into the pentax q and k mount. Since Pentax is the only one with a ~~true upgrade path~~ to medium format. All you need to do is buy pentax 645 lenses for your Q!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Maybe I'm gonna add fuel to this fire: I ordered a Sony A7R II along with a star tracker tripod mount for a stargazing trip in the Atacama desert. This is a one in a lifetime trip and I wanna bring the largest sensor, highest megapixel camera practical in the smallest package. As much as I adore my Fuji gear, the X-Trans sensor is not enough for astro and sprawling highly detailed landscapes (I often run out of pixels when cropping), and Adobe still hasn't gotten their poo poo together with demosaicing in Lightroom. Once I am done with the trip I might flip the camera down in Chile for a profit, or just return it and go back to Fuji.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Animal posted:

Maybe I'm gonna add fuel to this fire: I ordered a Sony A7R II along with a star tracker tripod mount for a stargazing trip in the Atacama desert. This is a one in a lifetime trip and I wanna bring the largest sensor, highest megapixel camera practical in the smallest package. As much as I adore my Fuji gear, the X-Trans sensor is not enough for astro and sprawling highly detailed landscapes (I often run out of pixels when cropping), and Adobe still hasn't gotten their poo poo together with demosaicing in Lightroom. Once I am done with the trip I might flip the camera down in Chile for a profit, or just return it and go back to Fuji.

Makes sense to me. Different tools for different needs. Out of curiousity, why buy the camera and lens instead of rent it if you don't expect to keep it?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Borachon posted:

Makes sense to me. Different tools for different needs. Out of curiousity, why buy the camera and lens instead of rent it if you don't expect to keep it?

I looked at renting the camera and lenses from my place of choice but they wont have one available till the day before I leave, and it would actually be quite expensive. i might end up renting a telephoto though, apparently the star tracker is good enough for up to 300mm :captainpop:

Edit: anyone here has any experience with lensrentals.com? I have never rented from that website, but they have it available and not a bad price ($240 for 8 days)

Animal fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 1, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Lensrentals is as reputable as it comes. You don't have to worry

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

Lensrentals is as reputable as it comes. You don't have to worry

Sweet, I'll just rent everything from them and insure it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Everyone should buy into the pentax q and k mount. Since Pentax is the only one with a ~~true upgrade path~~ to medium format. All you need to do is buy pentax 645 lenses for your Q!

If only Graflex would come back from the dead and start making digital cameras.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Animal posted:

Sweet, I'll just rent everything from them and insure it.

Lensrentals.com is great. I rented both the Fuji 55-200mm and 18mm from there for my NYC/US Open trip from them and it was a breeze. Arrived well-packed in great shape when promised at the local FedEx/Kinkos. The box and label were easy to repack and send back when I came back, and there were no hassles on return or anything.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fuji/Windows users: Capture One 9 is out today, and has a lot of cool and good changes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Animal posted:

I looked at renting the camera and lenses from my place of choice but they wont have one available till the day before I leave, and it would actually be quite expensive. i might end up renting a telephoto though, apparently the star tracker is good enough for up to 300mm :captainpop:

Edit: anyone here has any experience with lensrentals.com? I have never rented from that website, but they have it available and not a bad price ($240 for 8 days)

What mount are you using? Also, you clearly should just adapt this to it http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/medium-format/pentax/pentax-smc-645-fa-300mm-f4-ed-if-for-medium-format (assuming it's basically the same glass as the suparb p67 mount 300/4 EDIF lens that was great for astrophotography).

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

What mount are you using? Also, you clearly should just adapt this to it http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/medium-format/pentax/pentax-smc-645-fa-300mm-f4-ed-if-for-medium-format (assuming it's basically the same glass as the suparb p67 mount 300/4 EDIF lens that was great for astrophotography).

:chanpop:

It's this mount:
iOptron 3302B SkyTracker Camera Mount - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EFRN1GE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_VeExwb4CG2Z3E

Looks like I will need a larger tripod!

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

Fuji/Windows users: Capture One 9 is out today, and has a lot of cool and good changes.

Is capture one a lightroom replacement or some more of a preprocessor?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Animal posted:

:chanpop:

It's this mount:
iOptron 3302B SkyTracker Camera Mount - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EFRN1GE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_VeExwb4CG2Z3E

Looks like I will need a larger tripod!

Ah, I used one of those before. It works pretty well if you get it well aligned. You are going to want a really stable tripod for it though, that was the main thing holding me back.

I was using a lightweight benro tripod, it was pretty touchy with wind when using telephotos (nikon 180/2.8 for both of these, a pretty big heavy lens and a pretty narrow FoV).

P4040011.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Hmm, this looks tempting. Canon FD 28mm F2.8 Prime, including a Canon to E-mount (Fotga FD-NEX) adapter. For 75 bucks CAD.

Worthwhile?

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

MeruFM posted:

Lightroom replacement with support for the Fuji X-Trans sensor.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Ah, I used one of those before. It works pretty well if you get it well aligned. You are going to want a really stable tripod for it though, that was the main thing holding me back.

I was using a lightweight benro tripod, it was pretty touchy with wind when using telephotos (nikon 180/2.8 for both of these, a pretty big heavy lens and a pretty narrow FoV).

P4040011.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr
Very nice. Can you share more of those shots?

My tripod is a Manfrotto BeFree aluminum, fantastic travel tripod, but only holds 8.8 pounds which is just enough for a ballhead, the mount, Sony a7r, and a wide or standard lens. It looks like I will have to rent a beefy tripod, and carrying it all the way there is gonna be a bitch...

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?

Golluk posted:

Hmm, this looks tempting. Canon FD 28mm F2.8 Prime, including a Canon to E-mount (Fotga FD-NEX) adapter. For 75 bucks CAD.

Worthwhile?

I've used this lens on a GH4 - It's a nice little prime. Stop it down to 5.6 and it's a very nice lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MeruFM posted:

Lightroom replacement. If the hype is to be believed, CPO 9 has enough improvements to be considered AT LEAST on par with, if not better than, Lightroom. The learning curve is admittedly not quite as intuitive as lightroom, but the level of customization is far better and it now appears it's color processing is better than LRS as well.

It also does not suck poo poo at processing Fuji RAWS.