Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So I'm starting the Bandai TIE Fighter, and I want to make it a little more popping in terms of detail. Babby's first hardcore preshading action: http://imgur.com/a/dF8N3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It's crazy what a huge difference that makes.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm still unconvinced that the neutral gray is the best color. It looks cool, but too dark for a TIE fighter. Gonna hit one of the smaller parts with a lighter gray once I grab the right shade and we'll see what happens.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So you know how the entire gimmick of the MG Fenice Rinascita Alba is that it's supposed to be the same colors as MG Wing TV?

Well mine came in and it doesn't have the same metallic finish on the gray..

why

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

MJP posted:

So I'm starting the Bandai TIE Fighter, and I want to make it a little more popping in terms of detail. Babby's first hardcore preshading action: http://imgur.com/a/dF8N3
The Bandai Star Wars kits are some seriously dope poo poo, but they require a ton of paintwork to look on-model - what's the deal with the parts not coming in the correct shades? For comparison, here's the snapped X-Wings vs. what I painted them up to look like:

Gunpla is my bread and butter, so I was kinda taken aback that Bandai would put out kits that require that much paint-effort to look like the original.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gunpla is Bandai's identity, so they put all their effort into it. Everything else tends to be a step down.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Star Wars kits seem to have a ton of effort in everything *but* the colouring, which is why I'm kinda confused.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Perhaps they wanted to give people the option of making a 'new' x-wing or what have you and not just the old dirty ones that have been kicking around for 20 years. So rather than having it tinted they gave everyone a solid base to start with, knowing those who prefer the grimy look will put in the work regardless to get the look they want.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh hey, an update on the 1/100 Mechanicore Deep Striker, what is it now?

quote:

Sorry for delay again.
Concering about weight of final product with long time display, addition Zinc alloy cast metal components used to solve the problem.

Release date postpone to mid-Jan, 2016.

poo poo. That's like delay four or something. That's pretty bad, even by third party standards

Looks like the Daban unicorn is gonna retail for 90bux, 110 if you order it and the LEDs at the same time. That's a drat good price.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
That's pretty drat cheap, especially considering PG Unicorn's size.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My logic is that unless I know for a fact that a bootleg is a perfect adaptation, I don't wanna waste the time and money on it. Might as well go with the good stuff. But at a $200ish price savings? Too tempting.

Plus Bandai has yet to make 1/100 Moebius Zeroes and 1/100 Skygraspers, so until they do, into my backlog the bootlegs go. :colbert:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I know I okay'd talking about bootleg/unofficial merchandise in moderation but please do not advocate them over official products.

It's a fine line to be sure but consider it our own :filez: equivalent.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think there's really much in the way of advocating them, just saying that it's drat cheap for what it is.

At the very least, the fact that they're talking about doing stuff like selling versions of the web exclusive FA Pack or Armed Armors is cool, since they're basically gone forever. And they're rumoring to offer alternative frame colors too? That'd be amazing, and dangerous, given my history of unicorns.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd consider that advocating them.

I'll admit it's a more tenuous proposition in cases where there isn't a comparable official product (or said product's been discontinued), but saying "Hey, this is near good as the licensed stuff and waaaaaaaaaay cheaper" is pretty unabashedly wink wink nudge nudge in my opinion.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's time for some end-of-the-year cleaning, and obviously first priority is my gunpla collection.

who says bookshelves need to hold books

I am probably never going to be able to get a good shot of my bookshelf, the lighting is awful.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

lookit that scrub with his bookcases. China cabinets for life. Never have to worry about dusting the kits.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I finally got some better photos of my candy enamel HGUC Sinanju.

I'm never going back. Someone please point me at where I can get a broader collection of candy enamels other than Alclad's tia

Photos don't do this thing justice.

http://imgur.com/a/er3FP

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

I'm never going back. Someone please point me at where I can get a broader collection of candy enamels other than Alclad's tia

It's gorgeous.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MJP posted:

If the photos don't do it justice it must look goddamn incredible, because it looks really good from what I can see.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
So good.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dead serious, I'm going to need Actual Photography Skills to show how the finish looks. These are the best photos I could take futzing around with my S5 and lightbox. The loving-a-supermodel analogy applies.

The downside: I used around 7/8ths of a full jar of Alclad candy red. At $7.75 each, it's basically an upcharge, but holy CRAP is it worth the extra.

I'm stunned by how good the Model Masters chrome is, too. I used to use Mr. Metal Color as my handbrush metallic paint, but given that I could just put down a Future gloss coat and then if I gently caress up, just use turpenoid lighter fluid to clean up, I may just switch out.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My hunch is that you need to increase the exposure time.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You could probably rig up a stand for your cell phone and set it to a super-long exposure. That would get you a nice enough picture, I'd bet.

Can we get some of the better airbrush advice in the thread in the OP? I'd like to see about requesting one for the upcoming holiday season. Even if I have to spray outside to avoid loving up my rented basement, I'd like to try it. If it's not crazy expensive, I can get one, decide whether or not I like it, and then shove it in storage for a while if I don't have time.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've got a tripod en route to try something better. We'll see what happens.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
If all else fails, drive down here to DC and I'll take the picture with my DSLR and a macro lens.

edit: Don't actually do this but maybe if you have a friend with a nice camera have him do the picture.

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 3, 2015

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I took the gatling gun from the hi-mock weapons pack and added some lens and a handlebar made from molten sprue and gate. I didn't realize I was out of lighters so I had to use a match.

Before I start paint operations, is there a proper way to paint a Zaku's legs considering the way the two halves leave a sideways seam? I can erase it of course but it doesn't leave me options regarding the tubings and the inner joints which need to be exposed appart. Unless there's a mod that I don't know because I've never put together a Zaku before.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If you want candy finishes to show up well on camera your best bet is to do what automotive photographers do and use polarizing filters to minimize reflective highlights while you light it. Also double check your white balance since your colors seem very slightly off.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Just bought my first Gunpla, the HG Graze. Probably won't be my last.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gorefiend posted:

One of us. One of us.

You chose well, by the way. The Iron Blooded Orphans HGs are so loving good.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gorefiend posted:

Well, you got the one graze so you might as well get the blue one, and then they'll need suits to fight so you can get a Barbatos...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

Well, you got the one graze so you might as well get the blue one, and then they'll need suits to fight so you can get a Barbatos...

Which of the three blue ones are you talking about, specifically? :unsmigghh:

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

One of us. One of us.

You chose well, by the way. The Iron Blooded Orphans HGs are so loving good.

I saw a lot of recommendations for that one, and I love grunt suits the most. I've done modeling for wargames for a long time, so it'll be a nice change of pace to just do some cool robits.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
It's finished

My hands hurt

It's loving massive

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I knew it was a web exclusive so I wasn't really expecting much,

but god drat MG Hi-Nu HWS can not balance for poo poo. Literally the only reason it isn't toppling over in that shot is because it's using the gun as a prop and I took the shield off and just leaned it against the body.

The balance is so bad that it can't even float up straight on its action base!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 4, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:shepspends:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

I knew it was a web exclusive so I wasn't really expecting much,

but god drat MG Hi-Nu HWS can not balance for poo poo. Literally the only reason it isn't toppling over in that shot is because it's using the gun as a prop and I took the shield off and just leaned it against the body.

The balance is so bad that it can't even float up straight on its action base!

does the instruction manual say " dont try to make the hi nu hold up the gun, it's not gonna happen?" :v:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

...is that Woundwort?

Aw gently caress sake, I can't afford to NEED that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not familiar with the Woundwort. Why are so many Gundam nerds so hyped for it?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

...is that Woundwort?

Aw gently caress sake, I can't afford to NEED that.

Well the good news is that it'll probably be like three or four months out, at the earliest. I don't know who's making the kit though, so maybe they're better on deadlines than most third party guys? I honestly thought Magic Toys would do it, but I guess they're busy with the Advanced Hazel.

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not familiar with the Woundwort. Why are so many Gundam nerds so hyped for it?

For me, it's just such a unique and out there design, even by Advance of Zeta standards. And because of that, it'll never get a proper MG release, so 3P is pretty much the last hope for fans of it (or any other AoZ suit for that matter).

Not that I wouldn't buy the poo poo out of a RE/100 one too if it came along in a few years. Gotta catch 'em all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mr. stefan posted:

If you want candy finishes to show up well on camera your best bet is to do what automotive photographers do and use polarizing filters to minimize reflective highlights while you light it. Also double check your white balance since your colors seem very slightly off.

This is me being stupid. Do I put the filter over the lens of my S5 camera or over the lights?