Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Honestly I find BLM so boring now that i'm thinking the next time I use it in a df dungeon i'll rp an ice mage just for a laugh.

Or maybe a fire mage and scream constantly at the BRD/MCH for mp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Belzac posted:

Fishing has the only storyline that extends outside of leveling quests. You literally save all the fish in the ocean. Nothing can compete.

I forgot fishing actually had quests and didn't do any. Presumably I'm missing some amazing fishing-skill, but the only thing I ever need to catch is Pipira Pira and that's easy enough.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

at least you didn't find that BLM I played with that spammed Ruin and Thunder, and only Blizzard when they were low on mana

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Niton posted:

Scholars have a ~200 potency / 3s, always on, free smart targeting healer that they can move around as necessary.

Astrologians have Synastry.

Ignoring any difference in damage, Astrologian not having a fairy craters their ability to replace a Scholar one-for-one.
The fairy isn't the reason to be honest. It's more down to Sacred Soil, more frequently available instant emergency heals, Deployment Tactics and having less mp issues. The fairy's healing is mostly meaningless in the kind of content where you'd care about having one over the other.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Really? I've been yelled at a lot recently for not having it. I guess that's just pubbies being pubbies. Swiftcast is life, though (often literally).

e: Not asking "really?" about adlo; I already know how much it owns. Surprised that it's THAT much better than stoneskin, though.
You shouldn't have Stoneskin as SCH, your cross-class abilities should be: Cleric Stance, Aero, Protect, Swiftcast, Blizzard II.

Smart Car fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 1, 2015

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

You're on fireice

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Hivac posted:

Trusts got added only a few years ago (launch of Seekers), there's also a really clunky adventuring partner system where an npc follows you and autoattacks

this got added way way way later on, during the so-called ~glory days~ the only real big teleports were the WHM crag ports

edit: oops tags

Yeah both of those also got added way late in EQ so I thought it'd be fair to compare them

Back before Planes of Power EQ only had teleports to Druid Circles or Wizard Spires

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Doublestep posted:

like it has good quality of life features like healing mode (i dont know if this was in FFXI at launch or a new feature, EQ added something like it a few years ago)

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I wouldn't call /heal a quality of life feature since you did not have HP or MP regen unless you were using /heal, and /heal made you kneel. Which is one of many reasons why EXP parties in FFXI found a camp and just sat there without running around: Your healer needed MP and if they were walking around they weren't getting MP back. PLD tank? Guess what, they need take a knee between fights too.
And of course, the time it took to go from almost 0 HP/MP to full while using /heal was significantly longer than the time it takes to heal to full in FFXIV without doing anything special. Playing BLM was literally "Cast a spell, cast a spell, eat cookie and sit down until the next fight starts".

This is why the two jobs who could make other players passively regenerate MP were considered required for a good EXP group for a long time. Coincidentally, they were also the most rarely played jobs. Getting a good EXP party was a shitshow.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Klades posted:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I wouldn't call /heal a quality of life feature since you did not have HP or MP regen unless you were using /heal, and /heal made you kneel. Which is one of many reasons why EXP parties in FFXI found a camp and just sat there without running around: Your healer needed MP and if they were walking around they weren't getting MP back. PLD tank? Guess what, they need take a knee between fights too.
And of course, the time it took to go from almost 0 HP/MP to full while using /heal was significantly longer than the time it takes to heal to full in FFXIV without doing anything special. Playing BLM was literally "Cast a spell, cast a spell, eat cookie and sit down until the next fight starts".

This is why the two jobs who could make other players passively regenerate MP were considered required for a good EXP group for a long time. Coincidentally, they were also the most rarely played jobs. Getting a good EXP party was a shitshow.

Playing a BRD made you a superstar in XI. It was one of the rare instances you would get invited to English -and- Japanese speaking parties. I miss playing those same 2-3 songs over and over forever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cat doter posted:

I should check out ffxi one of these days since everything I hear about it sounds loving weird, like someone designed an MMO after only hearing what they were like second hand

Unfortunately you can't really anymore. FFXI as it was is dead. Server pops are too low now. I resubbed for nostalgia a few months back and literally every single player on the server was in one single zone, in one party, just grinding the same mobs over and over and over to level all the way from 1 to max. gently caress that poo poo.

XI was a pretty cool game, it had a WAY better story than Everquest or WoW had at the time. It was also balls-hard like Everquest, which I actually liked but it also meant I never hit max level. You had to find a group to do literally ANYTHING so many nights I'd spend hours just looking at people in zone and sending them tells asking for a tank or a healer or whatever.

XIV captures most of the best aspects of XI while also being more fun to play.

The only thing I really miss from XI was the way sub-classes could differentiate you. In XIV once you take a job you're restricted to only 2 classes to cross-class from, and you only get 3 skills from a small selection. Almost everybody picks the same options.

Back in XI you'd have to pick a single sub-class, so you'd be like PLD/WHM or PLD/WAR and those different versions of paladin would have slightly more tanky or slightly more healery builds.

In practice there were definitely several best combos and several combos you'd never want to do, but there were still a couple viable options for most classes which would let you kinda customize your class.

Hivac posted:

From what I understand it incorporated a lot of EQ poo poo which kinda was -the- mmo at the time

i've never actually played EQ myself so that could just have been bullshit that i heard somewhere at some point so :shrug:

Yeah its not wholly unlike EQ. It is different, but it definitely feels like they modeled the game on EQ. I mean WoW did the same thing, very blatantly. Its just that WoW is still around and has had so many expansions its unrecognizable now from what it launched as, but both WoW and XI were very EQ-based when they first came out.

I'm a huge EQ nerd and I still play project1999 occasionally.

Hivac posted:

this got added way way way later on, during the so-called ~glory days~ the only real big teleports were the WHM crag ports

Same with EQ though. Vanilla EQ the only ports were druids and wizards, and vanilla XI the only ports were WHM and I wanna say BLM and SMN but maybe that's my imagination.

But then both EQ and XI later added easier ways to get around.

EQ and XI and WoW also all had real-time ships that took several minutes to loop around from port to port, unlike XIV which just gives you a personal airship whenever you want. It made the game feel bigger than you and more alive, but it was also a huge pain in the rear end.

Doublestep posted:

Yeah both of those also got added way late in EQ so I thought it'd be fair to compare them

Back before Planes of Power EQ only had teleports to Druid Circles or Wizard Spires

EFB

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 1, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The best part about XI if you haven't played it is the soundtrack, I constantly leave it on in the background while playing XIV. Its so drat good.

XIV's is good too but not as amazing.

Best song on the XI soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-if85nnGWMg

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Airship's a good song but it's not Selbina. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGxNFlOO5k

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Airship's a good song but it's not Selbina. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGxNFlOO5k

I do love that violin. It was always so nice to poke your head in Selbina after spending forever on the blinding sands of Valkurm Dunes.

I got excited during the event questline when the girl name-dropped Selbina and Mhaura :)

So much nostalgia for that period, but then when they showed screenshots of XI I was like "oh god did it really look that bad back then?"

XIV is a really pretty game. Although XI was too for its time, XI still looks better than WoW in some ways.

I also really love longfall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIPg5XFfOMc sounds like something that should be played at a Renaissance Fair.

P.S.
Ishguard is the new Jeuno.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 1, 2015

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

I also really love longfall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIPg5XFfOMc sounds like something that should be played at a Renaissance Fair.

The piano version is something that legit sounds like something you could hear on classical public radio. Has almost an early romantic era feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldbyFY2UOc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Majumbo posted:

The piano version is something that legit sounds like something you could hear on classical public radio. Has almost an early romantic era feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldbyFY2UOc

Oh wow, that's really beautiful. Hadn't heard that before.

I wonder if that track was Uematsu or not. He's soooo good at writing beautiful piano pieces. I mean he's good at everything, but piano especially seems to be one of his best instruments to compose for.

E: Hahaha, I called it. That's one of few tracks he actually did! Along with Airship. :3:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 1, 2015

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Klades posted:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I wouldn't call /heal a quality of life feature since you did not have HP or MP regen unless you were using /heal, and /heal made you kneel.

The best part about that was that, like in XIV, once you're more than 10 levels above an enemy, it will no longer aggro you.

Unless you /heal. Then suddenly you become fair game to all enemies that aggro and can sense you (depending on how they sense).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Playing a BRD made you a superstar in XI. It was one of the rare instances you would get invited to English -and- Japanese speaking parties. I miss playing those same 2-3 songs over and over forever.

Playing in Japanese speaking parties was a really cool part of XI. Sometimes I'd be chatting away with people for an hour grinding mobs, and then somebody would run up and speak a bunch of kanji to us, and I'd be like "Sorry we only speak English" but then one of my party members would answer in Kanji and I'd be like :stonk:

Plus you had all the fun jokes like

(Hume)(Jerkin)
(Mithra)(Fun)(Hole)
(Please Invite Me)(One Inch Punch)(master)(bait)
(Galka)(Sausage)
(hand)(job)
(bat)(man)
etc. etc.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Does anyone have the screengrab from one of the goon weddings with vows that were made using the translator phrases? It was amazing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zaphod42 posted:

I do love that violin.

Violin you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVd6AvzGJP0

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Xenoveritas posted:

The best part about that was that, like in XIV, once you're more than 10 levels above an enemy, it will no longer aggro you.

Unless you /heal. Then suddenly you become fair game to all enemies that aggro and can sense you (depending on how they sense).

And don't forget that for most jobs, trying to fight even a mob ten levels below you might not go too well, and if you get two you might as well run.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

okay this is nerdy as heck but that's the track for "Ronfaure," "longfall" is a misreading :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Suitaru posted:

okay this is nerdy as heck but that's the track for "Ronfaure," "longfall" is a misreading :v:

Yeah you're right, and the piano version the other guy posted had the right name.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Does anyone have the screengrab from one of the goon weddings with vows that were made using the translator phrases? It was amazing.

The WHAT? :allears:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Klades posted:

And don't forget that for most jobs, trying to fight even a mob ten levels below you might not go too well, and if you get two you might as well run.

and you would be running for awhile

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

and you would be running for awhile

all you had to do was hope it was a mob that tracked by scent (no in-game notifier whether it was, or indeed whether tracking by scent was a thing, except the existence of the useless spell Deodorize) and maybe find some water to run across while having enough of a headstart so that it didn't immediately detect you again by sight or sound

easy

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

Playing in Japanese speaking parties was a really cool part of XI. Sometimes I'd be chatting away with people for an hour grinding mobs, and then somebody would run up and speak a bunch of kanji to us, and I'd be like "Sorry we only speak English" but then one of my party members would answer in Kanji and I'd be like :stonk:

Plus you had all the fun jokes like

(Hume)(Jerkin)
(Mithra)(Fun)(Hole)
(Please Invite Me)(One Inch Punch)(master)(bait)
(Galka)(Sausage)
(hand)(job)
(bat)(man)
etc. etc.

Half of DGKK's chat is making jokes using the autotranslate function, so it's not like it doesn't exist in XIV!

It's also the other reason why {Assize} is the best ability.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Half of DGKK's chat is making jokes using the autotranslate function, so it's not like it doesn't exist in XIV!

It's also the other reason why {Assize} is the best ability.

Sounds like I need to join DGKK then :)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So DGKK is where you go after Chairman kicks you out of PBC for excessive macro/auto translate jokes in chat?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
nobody has made a new autotranslate joke since the Heavensward beta

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Using whatever the ACT equivalent was in FFXI to change the zone music to this one everywhere really made grinding XP more peaceful. Probably my favorite track from XI (really fun to play on the guitar as well!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TnSMXcp2Hg

e: also looking at the artwork on that video they really made the playable races look a lot less...cartoony I guess? for XIV. Those faces...at least in-game the graphics were bad enough that you couldn't tell, but that image is creepy especially the Tarutaru

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 1, 2015

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Do you guys not have programs that play music for you?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Belzac posted:

It really whips the llama's rear end.

I used to listen to music while I played MMOs but these days I watch Netflix on my 2nd monitor instead :smuggo:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Belzac posted:

Not entirely sure, but I don't think you could alt-tab FFXI without running some kind of windower program. I know this was the case for Everquest. Got to stop those cheaters using third party tools, y'all.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Belzac posted:

It's kind of nice to have music that contextually changes from what you're doing in game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Philonius posted:

Not entirely sure, but I don't think you could alt-tab FFXI without running some kind of windower program. I know this was the case for Everquest. Got to stop those cheaters using third party tools, y'all.

Yeah with XI I'm pretty sure this was the case. I remember there being some 3rd party tool for running XI in a window for sure.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Using whatever the ACT equivalent was in FFXI to change the zone music to this one everywhere really made grinding XP more peaceful. Probably my favorite track from XI (really fun to play on the guitar as well!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TnSMXcp2Hg

e: also looking at the artwork on that video they really made the playable races look a lot less...cartoony I guess? for XIV. Those faces...at least in-game the graphics were bad enough that you couldn't tell, but that image is creepy especially the Tarutaru

I remember doing that to XI once, but then I just got really loving frustrated because every time I switched zones I'd hear the same first 10 seconds of the same song over and over and over.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Can I wing void ark or do I need to watch a video?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I remember the maps sites for EQ and printing maps out. I kind of miss that in a sick sort of way.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

void ark is trash tier casual content so you can just apply your face to keyboard and win

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Just put someone on follow and play another game while you do Void Ark.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

As long as you're not tanking you can do Void Ark without any clue as to what you're doing.

If you are tanking there's like one fight you need to pay attention to unless you're stupid and try to MT the place.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

As long as you're not tanking you can do Void Ark without any clue as to what you're doing.

The real problem is if the 23 other people don't know what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah with XI I'm pretty sure this was the case. I remember there being some 3rd party tool for running XI in a window for sure.

Yep. For the longest time alt-tabbing out of Final Fantasy XI would crash the game, with the excuse being it would somehow stop cheating which it of course didn't.

The real reason is that they didn't bother handling the Direct3D "you lost exclusive mode, you need to reinitialize your graphics engine" message.

• Locked thread