Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Angry Grimace posted:

... I can't even ...

Thought this was cute:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

So we're getting another art book for Shadows over Innistrad, and the promo blurb gives us a first hint at the plot:

quote:

In THE ART OF MAGIC: THE GATHERING – INNISTRAD, terror falls from the skies on blood-spattered wings and nameless horrors lurk in the shadows. These pages, lavishly illustrated with the award-winning art of Magic: The Gathering, are your entry into a world beset by terrible evils on all sides and betrayed by the hope it held most dear. Tread lightly as you follow the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they investigate these dark mysteries.
This seems to point to the angels turning evil and the lovecraftian themes people have already speculated about.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I guess that's our Power Ranger team now: The Gatewatch.

Stellar. :allears:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I've always said that what Magic was really missing was Jace and the gang combining their powers into an attack montage, magical girl style. :anime:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

sarmhan posted:

Tread lightly as you follow the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they investigate these dark mysteries.

the gently caress is this bullshit

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Ajani joins up and it becomes Scooby Doo.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Ramos posted:

Ajani joins up and it becomes Scooby Doo.

*Pulls head off trapped Ulamog*

"Old man Bolas!?!"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If they actually lower the mana cost on cards to something sane again they can do whatever the gently caress they want with the story, as far as I'm concerned.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they actually lower the mana monetary cost on cards singles to something sane again they can do whatever the gently caress they want with the story, as far as I'm concerned.

FTFY

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Eh, Magic plots for the past several blocks have all been "follow planeswalkers around as they fix poo poo" so I don't really care if they slap a (lovely) name on the group. Now if this means we're locked into Jace/Chandra/Nissa/Gideon anytime the Gatewatch is involved, that will be boring and disappointing as gently caress. At least rotate some of the cast members in and out every now and then.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I would like them to create at least one half-compelling planeswalker to give even a partial gently caress about. I'm not even expecting something good, just something Sorin-tier that I can't sum up in three words or less.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i would like sorin to go back to being a pure black good guy

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
It's cool that they finally decided to make planeswalkers into real superfriends, at least

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I hope when they combine their powers they just summon a Chromanticore.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

NivMizzet posted:

His Tibalt videos from last week were painful to listen because I cringed every time he said Tibalt. I'm curious where he's from, to see if his unique pronunciations are a regional thing or just coming from someone who doesn't care how they sound.

He definitely has a strong accent (Canada I think? it makes him say AYY-gro and fleshBAYG) but he's putting out the most interesting videos right now. Actual brews that are affordable and not Woo nonsense.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Yawgmoth posted:

I would like them to create at least one half-compelling planeswalker to give even a partial gently caress about. I'm not even expecting something good, just something Sorin-tier that I can't sum up in three words or less.

Hey now, "She likes moons" doesn't quite sum up Tamiyo. You at least have to give her "She likes moons a lot."

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Bring back Urza and the other cool Planeswalkers

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AgentSythe posted:

Bring back Urza and the other cool Planeswalkers

I mean Liliana is currently being harassed by Evil Urza. Does that count?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Respark Teferi and have Zhalfir phase back in, surrounded by the irradiated blasted carcass of what was one Dominaria and they're all "HOLY poo poo WHAT DID YOU DO"

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Resurrect space pirate and noted cool dude Bo Levar and Commodore Guff to continue their Odd Couple adventures

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I like that some Planeswalkers are actually working together now rather than just loving around in the Multiverse willy-nilly, but at a certain point I wouldn't mind going back to 'regular' people; the stories eventually get less compelling because none of the characters are relatable.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
i hope they all hold hands when they planeswalk together

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Oath of the gay twats amirite folks???

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

what gate are they watching

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

what gate are they watching

yes

Eikre
May 2, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

i would like sorin to go back to being a pure black good guy

He might end up cementing that way, if they mean for every color, broadly, to have both a male and female representative, which I think might end up being a thing. His counterpart is Lianna; other single-color pairs were, at various times, Gideon/Elspeth in white, Garruk/Nissa in green, Chandra/Koth in Red, and Jace reigns supreme as always in Blue where it doesn't even matter if there's a lady because Jace is love and Jace is life. Recent events having been what they were, they could also drop Nahiri, Sarkhan and Narset into the vacant positions.

Can I say that Sorin is legitimately the greatest recent success of the MTG's otherwise deplorable writing/marketing adjunct? He's a really excellent model for a core-five planeswalker, and has all the qualities that are 'desirable' about Jace; He has a good visual design and a fashion sense that tickles the trenchcoat-wearing nerd's envy (and in fact his art is far more consistent and, on average, higher quality than Jace's), he's representative of a fan-favorite power color with Machiavellian overtones, and he's a Good Guy interventionist with a hook or two for some personal angst. Above that, he is also rakishly sexy, which is clearly not on the priority list for any of Jace's design, and the bit where he created an angel taps into a very old and legitimately interesting conceit of the game's worldbuilding. It's disappointing that they haven't made him the preeminent iconic character, but I suppose we should consider it a mercy, because I'm certain they would end of wearing him a bit thin. "Solemn Visitor" was a really loving lame depiction of him, it's literally just him popping over to Tarkir for like ten loving minutes and interacting with zero percent of the narrative and then getting in-story retconed out of existence.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I really dig Sorin as a character, but a good part of that is his BW identity from the Innistrad story, and I'd quite like him to stay the BW walker. At the same time he's the only candidate to represent black on a goodguy superteam. Maybe they'll just keep the team at four, since it's already the permanent representatives of each colour besides black, and Liliana is as good a representative as Sorin there.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I'm honestly not sure white fits into the personality of Sorin, Vampire Pragmatist

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Death Bot posted:

I'm honestly not sure white fits into the personality of Sorin, Vampire Pragmatist

It felt like it fit in pretty well with Sorin specifically on Innistrad

he didn't need to help out at all and got nothing but satisfaction and a sense of fulfillment out of it

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

New card got spoiled today.

Tis the season.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Good to see Doran the Siege Tower again. i don't remember it ever snowing in Lorwyn though: Doran confirmed as first treefolk planeswalker.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Missed opportunity to have Doran strung with lights, smh

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fiend Computer posted:

Tis the season.

This is awesome, the holiday cards are always awesome.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

bhsman posted:

I like that some Planeswalkers are actually working together now rather than just loving around in the Multiverse willy-nilly, but at a certain point I wouldn't mind going back to 'regular' people; the stories eventually get less compelling because none of the characters are relatable.

I relate perfectly to Jace as I do in fact know everyone around me really is that simple and my real life was Ender's Game before I started going out with a chick literally thousands of years older than me who likes dead bodies.

E: her name is an anagram for "perverted antagonist" so it's like WoTC gets me

E2: Also I am the Constitution of the United States.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

join The League as they investigate the mysteries of the Hunter's Nightmare

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Death Bot posted:

I think it works both for Sorin and for vampires in general. They believe in structures, albeit ones with them at the top. And on Innistrad Sorin aimed to create a balance between Black and White, creating Avacyn and her church to empower humans to save them from extinction, whilst not to the point vampires were at risk of being wiped out in return. Plus mechanically there's lifelink which is an ideal vampire mechanic and common to both colors. BW actually seems to be the vampire colour pair rather than the BR the tribe occupied in Innistrad, so I'm interested to see what they are doing in Shadows. I thought it was interesting that BW Sorin, Lord of Innistrad made vampire tokens, suggesting other vampires support him (although the ones he makes on Tarkir appear to be in his thrall) against the vampire establishment.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fiend Computer posted:

Tis the season.

:allears:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

I want a walker who couldn't give two shits about their powers and who just wants to be left alone to lead a normal life, but keeps getting dragged into things. Sort of like original Alara Elspeth before they turned her into reverse Midas.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

I want a walker who couldn't give two shits about their powers and who just wants to be left alone to lead a normal life, but keeps getting dragged into things. Sort of like original Alara Elspeth before they turned her into reverse Midas.

Domri Rade? (I guess he'd need to show up again to count.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

C-Euro posted:

Eh, Magic plots for the past several blocks have all been "follow planeswalkers around as they fix poo poo" so I don't really care if they slap a (lovely) name on the group. Now if this means we're locked into Jace/Chandra/Nissa/Gideon anytime the Gatewatch is involved, that will be boring and disappointing as gently caress. At least rotate some of the cast members in and out every now and then.

I'm pretty sure Liliana is joining that dumb group. Maybe not in Oath, but she's showing up sooner or later, despite the fact that Sorin explicitly makes more sense as the Black Planeswalker in that group.

• Locked thread