Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm gonna ask for the CH pedals for Christmas and probably pick up the CH combatstick in the meantime. Unless the fighterstick is worth the extra $30?

It's worth it. A few more places to put functions is a few less keys you have to press. If you're gonna go CH, then go for the gusto. I have the Fighterstick and it's the loving poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pedals user here. It's perfect in every way.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
Having had the combatstick and the fighterstick, fighterstick all the way. That extra hat is night and day difference. I have a warthog, but i had a combatstick back when gameports were still used lol

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
DCS 2.0 alpha is out. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

Will be interesting to see how buggy it is. Especially on the server side.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Does it update from 1.5 or is it for some reason a separate branch?

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
ED really hosed this release. So, if you're running the non-alpha 1.5 DCS, you could potentially have 3 completely different installs depending on what you want to fly:

1.2: Current 'Production' version of DCS
1.5: Open Beta of new Graphics engine (but partially restricted (no new clouds, explosions, etc)
2.0: NTTR ONLY (Unsure if this also contains new clouds and explosions)

Edit: Apparently the only thing more hosed than ED's releases is the download speed for NTTR...15GB and currently DL'ing at 4.2 KB/s.

:suicide:

Edit 2: Apparently the DL is in 4 parts...only one of which ED bothered to put up a torrent for (the NTTR map itself).

1) Initial Installer (Goes fine)
2) 2Gb of updates after it copies 17Gb from your beta folder ("gently caress YOU AND YOUR TORRENTS" - ED)
3) Modules ("LOL" - ED)
4) NTTR

Why ED didn't bother putting torrents up prior to releasing this is beyond me.

McDeth fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 30, 2015

nullpunkt
May 6, 2007

not a substitute for human interaction
300ish KB/s on the NTTR map, much less on the actual 2.0 update. Upload is maxed out though, you're welcome ED!

Wouldn't be so annoying if my bms frames wouldn't drop down to the low 40s in campaign mode on a 980 ti. :(

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

nullpunkt posted:

300ish KB/s on the NTTR map, much less on the actual 2.0 update. Upload is maxed out though, you're welcome ED!

Wouldn't be so annoying if my bms frames wouldn't drop down to the low 40s in campaign mode on a 980 ti. :(

Something tells me that the stuttering in the campaign is more CPU restricted than GPU. There is a LOT going on especially during strike missions.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

McDeth posted:

Something tells me that the stuttering in the campaign is more CPU restricted than GPU. There is a LOT going on especially during strike missions.

It's all still single threaded.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

LULZ I guess ED doesn't like being called on their bullshit hosting. That's pretty comical, no warnings or anything.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Protip: Do not time accelerate while sitting on the deck of a carrier in BMS. Your plane will quickly be thrown clear of the deck into the ocean.

Wish I had remembered to reenable shadowplay prior to that landing. Several Yugoslavian Migs were flying high over the fleet and the whole fleet started firing SAMs at them while I was crossing the stern. Looked pretty awesome in a late 1990s graphics sorta way. Thought the ships were being hit with missiles from the huge smoke plumes popping up over everything.

Edit: The Balkans Theater has been updated for 4.33 and includes a newish terrain (textures and procedural trees in some place, same low res height map though). Grab it from the first big Balkans 4.33 link. The mirrors are an older version.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 1, 2015

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
:stare: Holy crap, I may need a new video card (GTX 970) for DCS. As soon as I launched into NTTR my card was immediately using all of it's video memory

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Yeah, lots of games are using up crap loads of video memory these days. Seems like 4Gb or so is the new norm. Anti-aliasing increases memory usage a fair bit, so lowering that might help you in the mean time, if you have it turned up.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

Sauer posted:

Protip: Do not time accelerate while sitting on the deck of a carrier in BMS. Your plane will quickly be thrown clear of the deck into the ocean.

Wish I had remembered to reenable shadowplay prior to that landing. Several Yugoslavian Migs were flying high over the fleet and the whole fleet started firing SAMs at them while I was crossing the stern. Looked pretty awesome in a late 1990s graphics sorta way. Thought the ships were being hit with missiles from the huge smoke plumes popping up over everything.

Edit: The Balkans Theater has been updated for 4.33 and includes a newish terrain (textures and procedural trees in some place, same low res height map though). Grab it from the first big Balkans 4.33 link. The mirrors are an older version.

Carriers have no qualms about driving into the ground either, and when they do they don't stop. If you're on the carrier when it does you will sink below the ground. Don't try and move when this happens.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Heads up- the Warthog hotas is $314 at B&H right now with free shipping and no tax outside NY.

I finally caved. And of course I need rudder pedals now. God help my wallet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Snaxx posted:

Heads up- the Warthog hotas is $314 at B&H right now with free shipping and no tax outside NY.

Jesus, that is a SCREAMING deal.

Here's the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743173-REG/Thrustmaster_2960720_Hotas_Warthog_Flight_Stick.html

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
They just dropped their 9/10 rated used Warthog to $250 as well. It comes with a Warranty but doesn't specify the length.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Snaxx posted:

Can fly an f-16 without rudders. It really only helps with slow turns

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Wh1plash posted:

Can fly an f-16 without rudders. It really only helps with slow turns

That's a very good point. I do like the Mig and occasional Huey though.

Anyone have experience with the Saitek Pro Combat pedals? They look the least offensive. Maybe I can pretend they are to a car I'm fixing up.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

CH pedals for life

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Megadyptes posted:

CH pedals for life

Yup.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Snaxx posted:

Anyone have experience with the Saitek Pro Combat pedals? They look the least offensive. Maybe I can pretend they are to a car I'm fixing up.

I have them. They're good, but really need a longer range of motion, and more resistance in all axis. As it is, the toe brakes are hyper-sensitive, because the physical movement ranges are just too short, with very little resistance. The toe brakes on mine have a bit of reversion at the extreme no-brake end of the range, but it's easily tuned out with a dead zone. The rudder axis itself is pretty good, but I still feel like it needs to be just a touch longer stroke, with more resistance, or at least a non-linear resistance profile. I'd recommend them reservedly, particularly because IIRC, they're one of the more reasonably priced setups.

I've never used the CH pedals. I actually really liked my G940 pedals (too bad the rest of it was garbage.) I probably have a set of MFG Crosswinds in my future. It's just a question of how much longer I can manage to convince myself that it's a silly purchase.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Snaxx posted:

That's a very good point. I do like the Mig and occasional Huey though.

I have them. I like em. Little getting used to, wish I would have stuck with the CH Pedals though when I was buying pedals for the second time. Sold them when I moved to Alberta. Smoother action on em, but your feet are close together with them. Not comfortable if you're a fat gently caress. Ch ones are a home invaders loving death knell.

No issues with the Saitek ones, plug em in and go. Have to use the SST software to set up toe brakes for some DCS stuff, other than that, they work great.

And like Yenko said, Axis curves and deadzones for the Saiteks are a must.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The CH Pedals are great if you don't have huge fat hamhocks for legs, they're a little narrow. You won't notice it after a few minutes of play. They come with the added advantage of being a CH product so they're built to outlive you and your descendants and you can use them as shielding in the event of total nuclear annihilation. My only complaints are the center detent which is a little stiff though it does smooth out a bit over time (its also easily removeable with a chisel if you really don't like it and don't care about warranties) and the protective slides in the pedal grooves don't actually extend the entire length of travel so dirt and cookie crumbs get in there. Piece of cake to open up and clean though and doesn't have any of that "warranty sticker over a screw hole" crap to stop you from cleaning it out every few decades.

I tend to fly helos very aggressively (especially in Arma) so I stomp on these things like a lunatic and they're still working without any sort of trouble what so ever four years later.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

The CH pedals are the best pedals. They are built like a truck.

I removed the center detent first thing because it was annoying but it was a snap to do.

And I ha- my friend has big fat hamhocks for legs and he says they are fine.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Everyone get Warthog sticks thats a killer deal.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Besides removing the center detects, you can also swap in heavier springs if you like. I used these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RG6C3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
CH flightstick+throttle isn't much more than the warthog deal, is it worth it?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The Warthog HOTAS is the better system. If I didn't already have a CH HOTAS then I'd be getting one.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If we rate our gaming peripherals in their ability to maim home intruders the Warthog would qualify without issue. The base for the stick alone is a heavy as gently caress steel plate that will break your toes if you drop it on your foot.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Sauer posted:

we rate our gaming peripherals in their ability to maim home intruders.

New thread title, please.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I just bought a Warthog to replace to CH HOTAS. Now I own two compete sets of peripherals that can be used to beat me to death.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I have CH but I tried the Warthog at a friend's house the other day. The things I liked about the Warthog that CH doesn't have are:

1) The WH stick can pull any direction. The CH stick is mounted on a fixed X axis inside a fixed Y axis, which makes diagonal pulls not quite as precise.
2) The WH throttle rotates around a point instead of sliding on a track. Also, of course, you have tons more switches on it, and a L and R throttle if you want.
3) It's generally heavier and more solid feeling (though this might be because my friend had it mounted. My CH is not)

So if money is no object, go Warthog. If it is, CH is a perfectly fine and a solid choice that will do an excellent job. It's not like you will be a better virtual pilot with the WH over CH.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The broken engrish of the BMS forums is hilarious sometimes. A dude is writing an application to make creating theaters simpler. It imports GIS data from a variety of sources to build the height-map, waterways, roads, etc... the only real problem he's going to face is BMS's hardcoded limit of 4096 terrain texture tiles. He then wants to incorporate the placement of objectives and such. Essentially rolling a bunch of separate and crappy tools into one well written app. Its ambitious and almost certainly going to end up abandoned when it becomes to much work but still cool.

The rest of the forums has somehow misinterpreted this as a replacement terrain rendering engine for Falcon and are going nuts about how this will revolutionize the game and they can't wait to see what it looks like in the 3D world...

Sauer fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 2, 2015

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

pthighs posted:

I have CH but I tried the Warthog at a friend's house the other day. The things I liked about the Warthog that CH doesn't have are:

1) The WH stick can pull any direction. The CH stick is mounted on a fixed X axis inside a fixed Y axis, which makes diagonal pulls not quite as precise.
2) The WH throttle rotates around a point instead of sliding on a track. Also, of course, you have tons more switches on it, and a L and R throttle if you want.
3) It's generally heavier and more solid feeling (though this might be because my friend had it mounted. My CH is not)

So if money is no object, go Warthog. If it is, CH is a perfectly fine and a solid choice that will do an excellent job. It's not like you will be a better virtual pilot with the WH over CH.

Unless you're slamming that poo poo around, it doesnt move on the desk unless you lean on it.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

IceLicker posted:

New thread title, please.

Seconded

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shine posted:

Falcon BMS is a much better "game" due to its excellent dynamic campaign generator (DCS has nothing like it), but its interface is a 90's hellhole and there's a reason why many of the posts in this thread are about control configuration issues.
Holy poo poo, you aren't kidding. First time I fired up any Falcon game since probably 1999 or 2000 and :stare:

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This keyfile editor makes it a lot easier, but it is by no means good.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Im trying to use the keyfile from the viper instructors wiki for my X55, but when I go in game the axis work fine but all the buttons are messed up, NWS on the throttle and the comm switches on the hats instead of the buttons on the front like the diagram says.

Please don't make me have to do the keyfile thing myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Your device IDs are probably different from the keyfile. You can use something like JoyID to change yours to match the keyfile.