Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Thump! posted:

You're a dog :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AOk4TkcaQ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
“If you’re a xenophobic, race-baiting, religious bigot, you’re going to have a hard time being president of the United States, and you’re going to do irreparable damage to the party.” - Linsdey Graham

drat, tell us how you really feel...

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

zoux posted:

There are really only two things that I get despondent about : the acceptance of Islamophobia in American discourse and policy, and million dollar kickstarters for cops that kill unarmed black kids.

Seriously. Like lovely people existing with in the US has been true all my life. But there's seriously a level of vindication going on now that is incredibly frightening.

Trump was funny because he was coming out saying all this terrible bullshit that Republicans truly believed, and we all assumed he would be kicked to the curb like he was for pushing the birther stuff. Instead, unless the actual voting goes incredibly differently, he's going to be accepted and embraced, and we're going to literally have a fascist candidate for President. And I'm not so certain he will lose any more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

foobardog posted:

Seriously. Like lovely people existing with in the US has been true all my life. But there's seriously a level of vindication going on now that is incredibly frightening.

Trump was funny because he was coming out saying all this terrible bullshit that Republicans truly believed, and we all assumed he would be kicked to the curb like he was for pushing the birther stuff. Instead, unless the actual voting goes incredibly differently, he's going to be accepted and embraced, and we're going to literally have a fascist candidate for President. And I'm not so certain he will lose any more.

The difference, for me, between it and the other kinds of bigotry we see in America is that with things like homophobia, racism, misogyny, etc, there's usually a sense that the person knows that what they are saying isn't acceptable. Like they get that people think it's wrong to be racist or whatever, and they have to dissimulate and qualify and explain things. But with Islamophobic rhetoric you can say the most hateful, ignorant things and they just don't think they are doing anything wrong at all. They don't see it as bigotry. It's just normal.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
John Fleming wants to become Cruz's full-fledged ally in the Senate.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

JT Jag posted:

And the poison pill is...

Found it:

Banks with <= $10B in consolidated assets (indexed to inflation) get a guaranteed 6% dividend from the Federal Reserve (this was set to shrink to 1.5%)

For banks with >= $10B in consolidated assets (indexed to inflation) replaces the 1.5% rate with the smaller of either the rate equal to the high yield of the 10 year treasury note or 6%

So a massive handout to the banks and the return of the IM-EX bank are the poison pills, big handouts to the rich

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Found it:

Banks with <= $10B in consolidated assets (indexed to inflation) get a guaranteed 6% dividend from the Federal Reserve (this was set to shrink to 1.5%)

For banks with >= $10B in consolidated assets (indexed to inflation) replaces the 1.5% rate with the smaller of either the rate equal to the high yield of the 10 year treasury note or 6%

So a massive handout to the banks and the return of the IM-EX bank are the poison pills, big handouts to the rich

Does this bill have an oil export provision too?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

foobardog posted:

In a general election he would lose every minority (including women) by massive landslides. He would win among white males by a few percentage points.

And despite what right-wingers want to believe, there is not a silent majority out there waiting for the One True ConservativeTM.

I hope he's the candidate. Bring the bigots out into the light of day and show the country what the Republicans really are. No more plausible deniability. Just a guy "telling it like it is."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I bet it's Cruz leading in Iowa.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Found it:

god i loving hate republicans

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

foobardog posted:

Uhh, think you mean "vindictiveness" there.

zoux posted:

The difference, for me, between it and the other kinds of bigotry we see in America is that with things like homophobia, racism, misogyny, etc, there's usually a sense that the person knows that what they are saying isn't acceptable. Like they get that people think it's wrong to be racist or whatever, and they have to dissimulate and qualify and explain things. But with Islamophobic rhetoric you can say the most hateful, ignorant things and they just don't think they are doing anything wrong at all. They don't see it as bigotry. It's just normal.

This. That armed whackadoos can "protest" outside Mosques and not get unequivocally called out for who they clearly are, just to use one example, reminds me of nothing so much as the reaction of many Southern whites to civil rights era activism: blinding, bitter hatred that within the community appears a justifiable and sensible reaction to perceived outside provocation.

I'm growing less certain that there'll be a larger, national rejection of such sentiments this time around.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

Found it:

Man, I wish I could get a guaranteed 6% return.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

a shameful boehner posted:

"Bro-kered Conven-tion!" *clap clap clapclapclap*

"Dead-locked Conven-tion since bro-kers don't exist any-more!" *clap clap clapclapclap*

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Oh, I had no idea :shobon:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

"Pity the living, for the dead got the easy out"

But seriously, I don't know how many people in the service I've heard say some really lovely/racist/awful things and I keep hoping they are joking...

People often act like jokes never are true or always betray the teller's true feelings. I don't think that's really true. I think joking is often a way to proffer true beliefs with a socially acceptable escape clause if it falls flat. Like inviting your date to "Netflix and chill".

Even absurd jokes often depend on taking real expectations and thoughts to an extreme conclusion, as a way to obliquely discuss that thing. When Groucho Marx makes his crack about shooting an elephant in his pajamas, he is popping the balloon of supposedly powerful game hunters. His self-image is so over the top that it reveals the cracks in others who see themselves as important.

Humor is no joke, my friends.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A marble bust of former Vice President Dick Cheney will be unveiled Thursday in the Capitol.

So if you're in the DC area, wear some boots and waders to handle the inevitable river of blood.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Did Cruz and company forget this guy was taken in alive or what?

Cruz and the other GOP hopefuls can say whatever they want and there won't be any real consequences. They could say the killer was Obama in a mask and their supporters wouldn't care at all.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

A marble bust of former Vice President Dick Cheney will be unveiled Thursday in the Capitol.

So if you're in the DC area, wear some boots and waders to handle the inevitable river of blood.

Does the blood flow from his eyes or his mouth?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

The statue was made from the blood of his enemies, right?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Uhh, think you mean "vindictiveness" there.

This. That armed whackadoos can "protest" outside Mosques and not get unequivocally called out for who they clearly are, just to use one example, reminds me of nothing so much as the reaction of many Southern whites to civil rights era activism: blinding, bitter hatred that within the community appears a justifiable and sensible reaction to perceived outside provocation.

I'm growing less certain that there'll be a larger, national rejection of such sentiments this time around.

No, I meant vindication as I was making the same point you and zoux are. This is seriously poo poo that had just been assumed would come under fire if proffered, and yet...

Litany Unheard posted:

In a general election he would lose every minority (including women) by massive landslides. He would win among white males by a few percentage points.

And despite what right-wingers want to believe, there is not a silent majority out there waiting for the One True ConservativeTM.

I hope he's the candidate. Bring the bigots out into the light of day and show the country what the Republicans really are. No more plausible deniability. Just a guy "telling it like it is."

I assume that, but with the general full court press on voting rights, and the general fickleness of liberal/progressive/leftist minded voters, I don't know. It may be the last hurrah of the Nixonian Right.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

zoux posted:

The big difference I see between those groups is visibility, American Muslims just aren't as visible as those other groups and I think that's why people feel free to otherize them in such a callous manner. It was exactly the same for gays and to the extent it has improved it's mostly in areas where the LGBT community has achieved more visibility.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

a shameful boehner posted:

Does the blood flow from his eyes or his mouth?

Actually, blood doesn't flow freely in any part of Dick Cheney.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I guess another problem is that this poo poo has been widely criticized, but unlike in Reagan's claim, you can choose your facts, and many people have completely chosen complete and utter misinformation, and the media is at best a selfish profiteer on that universe, at worst a willing participant in maintaining it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

foobardog posted:

I guess another problem is that this poo poo has been widely criticized, but unlike in Reagan's claim, you can choose your facts, and many people have completely chosen complete and utter misinformation, and the media is at best a selfish profiteer on that universe, at worst a willing participant in maintaining it.

There's just too much information available and unless you have a lot of practice or specific training, it's very hard to distinguish between good and bad sources, and that's only if you are interested in facts and not belief-reinforcement. Too many people give the same weight to 24-point blue font emails from grandma as an exhaustively researched, edited and proofed article.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

what's politico's political leaning?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

CommieGIR posted:

Its surreal, but I'd hate to say its ironic, because its really not. :smith:

Yeah, more than likely.

Everyone wants to praise the troops, even though they're the worst :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

Pageviews.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 1, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

icantfindaname posted:

poo poo. Complete, utter poo poo.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Well that "Trans leftist bank robber" theory didn't last very long.

Also a town clerk confirmed that the "F" on his voter roll info was in fact a typo.

Did Cruz and company forget this guy was taken in alive or what?

He knows that his supporters will take whatever he says as gospel without any further verification. It's been his MO for his entire political career.

I mean, this is the guy who hosed up the lesson of a book intended for kindergarteners.

Mozi posted:

“If you’re a xenophobic, race-baiting, religious bigot, you’re going to have a hard time being president of the United States, and you’re going to do irreparable damage to the party.” - Linsdey Graham

drat, tell us how you really feel...

So now that we know how Lindsay feels about one party, what does he have to say about the Republicans?

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Joementum posted:

I assume this will take place at the same time that the National Christmas Tree is lit so that balance is retained in the Force.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Thump! posted:

Yeah, more than likely.

Everyone wants to praise the troops, even though they're the worst :smith:

The Navy and Coast Guard aren't as bad as the Marines and Air Force... maybe the Army is better to but probably not.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

foobardog posted:

I assume that, but with the general full court press on voting rights, and the general fickleness of liberal/progressive/leftist minded voters, I don't know. It may be the last hurrah of the Nixonian Right.

What's Congress, Hack-a-Shaq?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Politico is the exact horse-race, Tiger Beat reporting that is the true problem with mainstream media. As zoux says, their leaning is whatever makes an exciting headline. For their purpose, they very much need the "both sides are just as bad!" narrative to be true.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

A Winner is Jew posted:

The Navy and Coast Guard aren't as bad as the Marines and Air Force... maybe the Army is better to but probably not.

Nah, I've got two brothers in the Army (anecdotal, granted). They'd be just dandy with tossing all of the Muslims in America into internment camps. Most of the Marines I knew are the same way.

The Navy is probably the best of the bunch, and ironically the most effective at actually "defending" ARE FREEDUMS.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's Congress, Hack-a-Shaq?

Seems accurate. Perhaps it's like before the shot clock, where you would have a big guy just dribble the ball until time runs out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

The Navy.....has its share. Don't be fooled. The Coast Guard is a different breed, since they are largely enforcement and rescue.

Air Force is awful. Marines are awful. Army is pretty bad too.

Wax Dynasty posted:

I assume this will take place at the same time that the National Christmas Tree is lit so that balance is retained in the Force.

The statue was created so Cheney could tie his life force to this plane.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

foobardog posted:

No, I meant vindication as I was making the same point you and zoux are. This is seriously poo poo that had just been assumed would come under fire if proffered, and yet...

Sorry, I misread you. Still not sure vindication is the right word though, since it implies that these despicable views are somehow being shown to be actually the correct and proper ones to hold.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Cruz and the other GOP hopefuls can say whatever they want and there won't be any real consequences. They could say the killer was Obama in a mask and their supporters wouldn't care at all.

"Ted Cruz reports seeing video of Obama sneaking away from the Colorado Springs shooting, while gleefully setting fire to a Bible with a burning copy of the constitution which he'd previously rolled into what Senator Cruz described as a 'jazz-cigarette.' Cruz's poll numbers have bumped up slightly following this controversial statement, despite White House experts having demonstrated that this was literally impossible as the President was in Paris at the time in question, as verified by multiple witnesses. Our next guests will debate how much this alleged Bible burning will impact Obama's remaining time in office."

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Internet Webguy posted:

He knows that his supporters will take whatever he says as gospel without any further verification. It's been his MO for his entire political career.

This describes pretty much everyone in the GOP race right now. They say whatever they want and it works.

Go check the comments section of any right wing news site and you'll see hundreds of comments about how all the information that's come out in the last 24 hours is an invention of the lamestream media who is desperate to cover up the truth of the transgendered shooter.

They've already even convinced themselves that the Colorado Springs police department is a monolithic group of democrats hiding information to protect Obama.

If this guy says anything in court, it'll just be a tricky liberal false flag to try to discredit conservatives.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Sorry, I misread you. Still not sure vindication is the right word though, since it implies that these despicable views are somehow being shown to be actually the correct and proper ones to hold.

Fair point. It is a bit stronger than I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

zoux posted:

Pageviews.

silvergoose posted:

poo poo. Complete, utter poo poo.
So what would you guys qualify as being passable, out of curiosity? Not good, because I know we can find ways to rail against literally every single reporter in the world, but what provides a reasonable amount of substance these days?

• Locked thread