Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

What a wonderful production the wise leaders of the conservative movement have prepared for us! I’m sure it’ll be a smashing hit! With Trump and Republican governors leading us down the path towards war and xenophobia, shooting up abortion clinics and Black Lives Matter protesters, and shutting down the government over all of the above. Yes, what a Grand Old Time we have here in America with the Grand Old Party! And so it should be no surprise that a good time will be had for all here in the USPOL thread for December 2015!

114th Congress Bingo Card

So how is House Speaker Paul D. Ryan doing after his first month in office? Let’s take a look, shall we?

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

Did you know that one of Hillary’s hired goons collaborated with CNN to smear poor, innocent Rand Paul? Clearly this means you shouldn’t vote for Hillary!

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

LSD for GOP Nom 2020

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

In on the first page.

:krakentoot:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So what's the odds on December being the month that Trump deflates?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think if it's going to happen, it'll happen now. It seems like the other GOP candidates are bringing out everything they have to defeat Trump, but if he makes it through Iowa and New Hampshire unscathed I think he'll be the nominee for sure.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'll bet ten bux he won't.

:toxx:

E. To be clear, I'm referring to him deflating this month. He won't deflate, he will soar even higher as the war on Christmas continues.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

You know, I wouldn't be shocked if Donald's campaign was a Producers-esque scheme gone awry.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's going to happen in almost exactly two weeks. At least, according to Jeb!'s campaign. And have they ever been known for unwarranted enthusiasm?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

N. Senada posted:

I'll bet ten bux he won't.

:toxx:

E. To be clear, I'm referring to him deflating this month. He won't deflate, he will soar even higher as the war on Christmas continues.

The War on Christmas is such a silly thing, considering Christmas's 30 years of unopposed victories.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You know, I wouldn't be shocked if Donald's campaign was a Producers-esque scheme gone awry.

Since he doesn't solicit much donations that's more an appropriate description of Carson

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It annoys the hell out of me that Republicans would rather their grandchildren lived in a blasted desert wasteland rather than do easy things now to prevent it.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Peztopiary posted:

It annoys the hell out of me that Republicans would rather their grandchildren lived in a blasted desert wasteland rather than do easy things now to prevent it.

Have you met many republican voters? It's all a myth, once government gets out of the way we'll all live on Galt's Gulch!

Sure we'll be slav-uh, contracted workers, but it'll be great!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jagchosis posted:

Since he doesn't solicit much donations that's more an appropriate description of Carson

Yeah but Trump's the one who tends to profit from stupid business decisions.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Carrasco posted:

It's going to happen in almost exactly two weeks. At least, according to Jeb!'s campaign. And have they ever been known for unwarranted enthusiasm?

When pressed for a reason, did the Jeb! campaign just keep repeating "Two Weeks!" before revealing that they were wearing an elaborate mask bomb?

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm going to say 3:1 odds he makes it to January without popping. Too many other things in the news cycle this month.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like a government shutdown would crowd out Trump in terms of media coverage, but would also allow Trump to rail against the establishment even more.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Having political cartoons in the OP continues to be very triggering

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Trump can't die. Look at those phoenix flames on his head, cleverly shaped to look like hair. The man is teflon to negative press.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nothing happens in December. Nobody is paying attention.

The question is whether things pick back up where they are now when everybody reboots in January, and they start paying more attention to politics with the looming primaries.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
We're all getting coal this year, aren't we? :smithicide:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ugh. I was watching my local channel 7 news and they ran a segment that was indistinguishable from something you'd see on Fox. This "congressional reporter" got a hold of some stupid report by a Republican who found $100 billion in "government waste" and said she wasn't able to find a single person who could defend the things in it (you know, the typical high-lariously useless sounding projects that conservatives love to tout like $5 million on mating habits of fruit flies and such). It was so Fox News-y that they even had lovely stock music playing in the background signifying how shady and wasteful the government is. The "reporter" ends the segment by saying that the "American people shouldn't expect answers any time soon".

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Mr Interweb posted:

Ugh. I was watching my local channel 7 news and they ran a segment that was indistinguishable from something you'd see on Fox. This "congressional reporter" got a hold of some stupid report by a Republican who found $100 billion in "government waste" and said she wasn't able to find a single person who could defend the things in it (you know, the typical high-lariously useless sounding projects that conservatives love to tout like $5 million on mating habits of fruit flies and such). It was so Fox News-y that they even had lovely stock music playing in the background signifying how shady and wasteful the government is. The "reporter" ends the segment by saying that the "American people shouldn't expect answers any time soon".

I think I saw the same report. It mentioned 30k to fund research into senior dating habits. You know the population with the largest increase in STDs over the last decade. Can't think how that would be helpful.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Mr Interweb posted:

This is the author of that "report".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
:coal:

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Mitt Romney posted:

When cornered on the capitol steps and questioned on whether he would actually help fix anything, the reports' author allegedly looked down and whispered 'no'.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Quoting from the last thread:

Fried Chicken posted:

I am not, in any great sense, a spiritual man. Yet it still strikes me as something very twisted about following a day of thanks and being grateful for what you have with a weeklong orgy of mass consumerism, manufactured greed, and impulse acquisition, where crowds literally beat each other to death in the name of getting more, more, more.

It is just the marketers' revenge for the American family steadfastly refusing to let Thanksgiving be turned into a gift giving holiday.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
WaPo has a terrifying and yet somewhat hilarious report on What Carson Supporters Actually Believe.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gonna be funny when the GOP congress is shouted down by their own party because shutting the government down at Christmas would be gift wrapping the nom to Trump

Be even funnier when it doesn't work because the clowns are in control now

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Aw, I wanted to hear the logic of why only a godly person can defeat radical Muslims.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010

Bastard Tetris posted:

Have you met many republican voters? It's all a myth, once government gets out of the way we'll all live on Galt's Gulch!

Sure we'll be slav-uh, contracted workers, but it'll be great!

Sadly not all believe this. I grew up in Lake Jackson Texas (Ron Pauls district, to give you an idea of what kind of people we are talking about). There was a community theater there and pretty much that whole community all knew each other, so even in middle school and high school I had a lot of political discussions with adults when hanging out in the green room.

One guy I had known for years, mid-thirties, always seemed like a down to earth guy, agreed that we were destroying the earth and that it would probably go to poo poo soon, but didn't believe in trying to enact environmental policies. He said when all our resources are gone, they are gone and that's it for us.

The thing that makes me angry to this day is that he had an infant daughter, still didn't want to do poo poo. That kind of attitude is even worse than the deniers in my opinion.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mitt Romney posted:

That $100 billion would be better spent figuring out what the hell is wrong with his face.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I can't be certain, but it seems like this woman actually believes that Obama supports taking in Syrian refugees... so he has people to hang out with once he's left office?

At any rate that article is sort of disappointing as it's just a profile of some idiot married couple in their late fifties - though I have no reason to think they aren't representative of Carson supporters.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Edmund Lava posted:

I think I saw the same report. It mentioned 30k to fund research into senior dating habits. You know the population with the largest increase in STDs over the last decade. Can't think how that would be helpful.

Yup, that was the one!

Mitt Romney posted:

That sounds about right.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Larch posted:

That $100 billion would be better spent figuring out what the hell is wrong with his face.

It's the typical lovely evangelical racist grin face.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilroy posted:

I can't be certain, but it seems like this woman actually believes that Obama supports taking in Syrian refugees... so he has people to hang out with once he's left office?

Nah she's built up in her mind a paranoid fantasy where Obama's inviting Syrian refugees to set off another 9/11 because he's a Muslim and not 100% American and thus wants to destroy the country from within. Because Satan.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama only has one more 9/11 to pull off a 9/11

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Obama only has one more 9/11 to pull off a 9/11

How many until America gets a free sandwich?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Obama will be blamed for anything bad happening for the next 4-8 years if a Republican gets into the White House.

President Rubio privatized my social security and started a war with Russia! OBAMA :argh:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

these people make me sad. they are just sadbrain fundies who are scared shitless because they bought in to some angry fuckfaces tirade on the radio. I feel bad for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

these people make me sad. they are just sadbrain fundies who are scared shitless because they bought in to some angry fuckfaces tirade on the radio. I feel bad for them.
I'd feel worse for them if they weren't so influential in politics.

• Locked thread