Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Somebody repost that clip but with a Captain America mask on Brad Pitt's face and an Ant-Man helmet on the fat guy :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Haha what was this stupid poo poo about essays and persecution complexes? Is this typical goony behavior?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kurzon posted:

Haha what was this stupid poo poo about essays and persecution complexes? Is this typical goony behavior?
It even says in the title what page to look at to understand what was going on.

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

Martman posted:

It even says in the title what page to look at to understand what was going on.

Well, to be fair, ignoring the title and all the content of a thread in order to just come in and make a pointless, low effort, white noise post IS typical goony behavior.

Not saying I don't make low effort, white noise posts, just that I read the rest of what's been posted before I do.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

Nah the metaphor is dead on. The Tiger Tanks were far superior in their craftsmanship and longevity, but took longer to make and more effort.

The Shermans were cheap, easy to mass produce fodder that didn't hold up nearly as well but did the job.

The Tiger tanks are awesome because of how a lot of mil-tech nerds talk about them. As if they were ridiculous super weapons with no flaws. They were heavy as gently caress, especially the King Tiger, and more of them broke down or just ran out of fuel than were destroyed, because all that armour weighs stuff. The King Tiger is still the heaviest tank ever built. Even now, which is loving ridiculous.

But yeah, they were absurdly heavily armed and armoured and were designed without any regard for Germany's logistical situation. It's a good analogy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Jesus Christ now the war nerds are getting involved in a Marvel vs DC discussion.
:iiaca:

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

So basically BvS is gonna be loving beautiful and one of the better films of 2016. :)

friendship is always beautiful

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think of Marvel movies like fast-food. It's mass-marketable dross but there's a ton of work and effort put into making it broadly popular. DC is like Chipotle: it's still "fast casual" mass-market junk but it's of a higher quality and also some people got really butt-hurt after they tried it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 2, 2015

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think of Marvel movies like fast-food. It's mass-marketable dross but there's a ton of work and effort put into making it broadly popular. DC is like Chipolte: it's still "fast casual" mass-market junk but it's of a higher quality and also some people got really butt-hurt after they tried it.

please stop calling it "chipoltay," dad.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I think of Marvel movies like fast-food. It's mass-marketable dross but there's a ton of work and effort put into making it broadly popular. DC is like Chipotle: it's still "fast casual" mass-market junk but it's of a higher quality and also some people got really butt-hurt after they tried it.

I'm gonna pocket this analogy.

Honestly, I'm getting a tiny bit of superhero fatigue and I've only seen like 2 Marvel movies, Jessica Jones, and most of Arrow. There's just superhero media everywhere. I'm mostly interested in Batman and kinda into the wider DC universe because of the awesome DCAU Justice League shows. I don't know if I'll care about going out for some of these upcoming movies over the next several years.

Definitely down for BvS and the first Affleck-directed standalone Batman movie until then though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DC superhero films, well known for their proliferation of E. coli.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Kurzon posted:

just dumb mod poo poo to derail thread and get attention

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If we're including Age of Ultron and GotG and Winter Soldier all in the same formula of cinema, then what precisely is the difference in formula between recent MCU films and, say, the Raimi Spider-Man films? Yes, we've had thirteen years of this formula; surely it must end at some point. But at the same time...we've had thirteen years of this formula. Why should it end now? Why should it end in five years? Ten? Maybe it will. Or maybe it'll adapt and mutate to accommodate the needs of the masses.

The Star Wars prequels is a curious example to illustrate nerd burnout because, well...we're still getting Star Wars films. If anything, the studio has been exploiting the internet dissatisfaction with the prequels to better market its new hotness. Same with the X-Men films; sure, folks look back on the originals with a bit of tainted nostalgia, but that hasn't stopped new X-Men films from getting churned out, each with more hype than the last.

Heck, Batman's a great example of this too. Each iteration seems to go out in a blaze of questionable glory, fans look back on previous offerings with mixed assessments, and yet always it rises from the ashes, more powerful with each rebirth.

Drifter posted:

Jesus Christ now the war nerds are getting involved in a Marvel vs DC discussion.
:iiaca:
Welcome to the Marvel Movie Burnout echo chamber thread. Isn't it gorgeous?

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

just dumb mod poo poo to derail thread and get attention

If you think the mod challenge is what derailed the thread, you really need to work on your reading comprehension; arguing with Bifford is what derailed the thread, after Bifford sent Lowtax his banme the thread got mostly back on track.

edit: Why am I even bothering with this?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sense and Motion posted:

for those people wondering. I was actually hoping to see more of the running in the released trailer-- it looks so bad.

It reminds me of Buckaroo Banzai

Could someone please add Perfect Tommy and New Jersey to the Captain America clip?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Now you've reminded me of how much I want to rewatch Buckaroo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sense and Motion posted:

for those people wondering. I was actually hoping to see more of the running in the released trailer-- it looks so bad.

Hawkeye trying to keep his bow straight cracks me up so much.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

...so people don't get butt-hurt from eating regular fast food?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
"Dark Horse is like Friday's..."

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

If we're including Age of Ultron and GotG and Winter Soldier all in the same formula of cinema, then what precisely is the difference in formula between recent MCU films and, say, the Raimi Spider-Man films?

I think Raimi's Spider-Man was less calculated. Yes, those films were stilted, awkward and goofy, but it was like watching a 8-year-old recite a self-written grandiose poem. It's not gonna win any prizes, but you just can't wipe that stupid grin off your face when you see it.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I always figured the Marvel formula, if any, was capitalization of the public's fascination with franchises. People love their characters and they get really excited for continuation of stories. Even if the first movie flops, a new film (whether it be a sequel, a restart of the ip, or a prequel) promises a new start and tantalizing plot twists (but don't worry, no one you care about will die). Marvel got lucky with Iron Man. They got lucky with Robert Downey Jr. and they got lucky that Iron Man was a pretty good movie. The Marvel formula developed from that: grab a charismatic young star, sign them to long-term cheap contracts, produce movies with as much broad appeal as possible (aka safe), tie it in with movies on the horizon. Rinse, repeat, profit. I think this is why DC movies 'feel' different from Marvel - they might not be bold and they definitely are trying to establish their own franchises too, but they at least give their directors and writers more freedom than Marvel.

I think you could point to Edgar Wright and Ant-man as proof to this. It's a thought, anyway.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
It's difficult to say what DC's long-term plan is right now. They clearly want that whole shared universe deal but know they have to have a different approach than Marvel which is more grandiose and epic with superheroes seen as Gods (my theory right now based on what we've seen). I think with Ayers' Suicide Squad next year we'll really see what the plan is going forward once Snyder gets a break.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not certain it's meant to be a dream at all. There were other shots of Batman getting attacked while wearing his desert gear in the other teasers and 'Batman Being Tied Up, Only To Escape' is something that's been missing from a few recent Batman films (although, I suppose DKR was partly there with all the rope stuff). This is a 'versus' film, so why can't Superman capture Batman?

I'm aware of the toy, but the name of a toy is not really convincing to me. 'Knightmare' could be taken from dialogue, new articles or any number of sources

That teaser is a lot more interesting than anything I've seen related to Civil War. I honestly don't think the Russo Brothers are up to scratch directing these movies. The most interesting part of Winter Soldier was when they were talking to a computer, or when Nic Fury was attacked in the car. Everything else was just ugly or cheap looking. There's tiny moments of greatness in there, sure, but it looks like Marvel/Disney is keying up to give us another 5 hours of grey carparks and docks. It feels like they shot their 'dialog' scenes to emulate political thrillers (or Law & Order) but it just doesn't mesh with all the action stuff that is handled so slickly. You go from those awful oppressive interiors to the bad dude doing gun tricks or an elevator rumble and back and forth.

It's cinematic gravel and tar, with flowers poking through. The Paintball episodes of Community were some of my favourites, too.

well why not fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 2, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

well why not posted:

I'm not certain it's meant to be a dream at all. There were other shots of Batman getting attacked while wearing his desert gear in the other teasers and 'Batman Being Tied Up, Only To Escape' is something that's been missing from a few recent Batman films (although, I suppose DKR was partly there with all the rope stuff). This is a 'versus' film, so why can't Superman capture Batman?

Because Superman isn't going to employ a fascist and SWAT looking team who treat him like the head of a cult while having Batman tied up in a desert cave.

Unless Luthor's gone and made Bizzaro, and Zod is just a red herring.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, My Superman[tm] probably wouldn't. Who knows what this one's gonna do?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

well why not posted:

I'm not certain it's meant to be a dream at all.

That other scene was also a dream. It's very very clearly "this is what Batman fears, a future where an omnipotent god-king has taken over the Earth." If it isn't directly Batman's dream then it is a fantasy or hallucination forced onto him by some outside source.

I mean I understand going "are we sure" but yes. We're sure. This is a dream sequence.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 2, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BrianWilly posted:

Well, My Superman[tm] probably wouldn't. Who knows what this one's gonna do?

What about Man of Steel shows Superman as a guy ready for a death cult to worship him?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

What death cult? We don't know a single thing about these guys other than the fact that they like to tie men up. Lotsa people like that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gyges posted:

What about Man of Steel shows Superman as a guy ready for a death cult to worship him?

Did you see the shots from the other trailer of the people in Dia de Los Muertos dress looking at him like a god. It obviously all ties in.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm going to be really disappointed if Wonder Woman isn't taller than Superman and also someone that can essentially tell him to gently caress off and he'll do it, like in New Frontier.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zack Snyder, the guy whose favorite superhero is Superman, who loves Superman and dorks out about him at length in interviews, who has a copy of Action Comics #1 on his director's chair, is going to make Superman a fascist piece of poo poo with militarized followers who walks around with a scowl on his face. Yes. That's going to happen, all right.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

He did have that bitchin skull swimming pool

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Clearly I've missed a plot synopsis or two. I know it's CD's favorite word but when did we establish these commando-looking fellows to be fascist?

And when did MoS establish Superman to be anti-military? He worked pretty well with military-types last I saw, drones notwithstanding.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bwahahaha "hey these guys dressed head-to-toe in black depersonalized military body armor with a Superman logo on the shoulder carrying guns and kneeling to Superman as he enters the room - how are they fascist?"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm going to be really disappointed if Wonder Woman isn't taller than Superman and also someone that can essentially tell him to gently caress off and he'll do it, like in New Frontier.

Gal Gadot is 5'10" according to a quick Google search. Her WW costume has wedges that I'm guessing adds 3 or 4" to her height, which would essentially make her taller than Cavill (6'1") in costume on foot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BrianWilly posted:

Clearly I've missed a plot synopsis or two of some sort. I know it's CD's favorite word but when did we establish these commando-looking fellows to be fascist?

When did MoS establish Superman to be anti-military? He worked pretty well with the military last I saw, drones notwithstanding.

Well there's the fact that they look like actual storm troopers but with S shields instead of Swasticas on their arm bands, for a start.

That tends to be short hand for "Bad Guys"

And Superman worked with the military in as much as he let them do what little they could while he took care of the real problem.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Bwahahaha "hey these guys dressed head-to-toe in black depersonalized military body armor with a Superman logo on the shoulder carrying guns and kneeling to Superman as he enters the room - how are they fascist?"

When one bifford falls, another shall rise

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Superman worked with the military, guys!" *Superman is incarcerated and accused of possibly gestating an alien pandemic before being turned over to a foreign power and then being shot at by an A-10 and helicopter while fighting his fellow Kryptonians and then destroys a drone. His last interaction with the military is a general yelling at him for not letting them spy on him*

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Snyder does not have the balls to turn Superman fascist and Batman into an anarchist who must confront his failings as a capitalist crime fighter.

Gyges posted:

Well, he was going to create Kryptonians on Earth, according to idiots. A master race to rule us all.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Well there's the fact that they look like actual storm troopers but with S shields instead of Swasticas on their arm bands, for a start.

That tends to be short hand for "Bad Guys"

And Superman worked with the military in as much as he let them do what little they could while he took care of the real problem.
Yes, I've no doubt they're meant to look scary and mean and make everyone uncomfortable. Particularly Batman, who so far has been framed as the sympathetic element.

Kind of like how Superman is supposed to look scary and mean and make everyone uncomfortable? Which is the entire film's plot?

You can't have it both ways. You can't be claiming up and down the street that this is Not My conventional boy scout Superman, that this is a bold new mature gritty take on the character, a grayer and more nuanced interpretation, and then say "Oh, but he won't actually be doing anything questionable. Everything he does will be black and white and everyone is split into good guys and bad guys and they just misunderstand Clark's pure noble intentions and anything that depicts him doing something shady must needs be a dream sequence and also fascism death cults." That's not Your Superman. That's My Superman.

I mean...maybe you're right. Maybe, God willing, Snyder really will end up making conventional boy scout Superman after all, although everyone will be tricked into thinking he didn't thanks to a vaguely darker color palette.

• Locked thread