Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A pretty good article on the Black Pastors debacle

quote:

It was supposed to be a match made in heaven, but in the end Donald Trump was forced to forgo 12 pearly gates and streets paved with gold in favor of his luxury office tower in Midtown Manhattan.

As The Daily Beast reported over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, the GOP frontrunner was set to meet Monday with dozens of high profile black pastors and hold a subsequent press conference to tout an unprecedented group endorsement. As the sun set Sunday night—and several prominent preachers backed out—many questioned whether the event would even happen.

Pressed by their congregations and by a not-so-holy war that broke out on social media, some of the invited ministers issued flat denials, saying they agreed only to discuss key issues with the candidate and that endorsements were never a part of the bargain. Two of the biggest names on the nightclub-esque promotional flier, Los Angeles-based Bishop Clarence McClendon and Brooklyn-based Bishop Hezekiah Walker, announced Sunday they would not attend. Both issued statements on social media.

quote:

Ultimately, according to Trump and several pastors who attended, more than 100 faith leaders made the trek to tony Fifth Avenue. Members of the media could not establish the size of the larger group independently, as it presumably had been spirited out of a side entrance. Curiously, there was no traffic jam of black town cars or taxicabs outside the building. It is possible, though not confirmed, that the 100 faith leaders “attended” via webcast.

Some who were there in person said they were unsure about whether to support Trump and that they would “pray” about the matter before making a decision. It appeared they were still beseeching God for an answer Monday night, as no press release laden with marquee names had been issued.

quote:

Beside her stood Bishop Darrell Scott, a black pastor from Ohio and co-convener of the spectacle, who was wearing a smartly cut suit and an easy smile. To his right was Omarosa Manigault—yes, the one-time reality television star best known for her bombastic appearances on NBC’s The Apprentice and Celebrity Apprentice—toting a Louis Vuitton handbag. Surprisingly serene and graceful, Manigault is an ordained minister now and says she “left everything behind” to attend seminary six years ago.

quote:

As I sat cross-legged holding a recorder in front of the bank of microphones Monday, I wondered why Trump’s decades-long career as a real estate developer has yielded almost no investments in the black community. A review of financial records revealed that few, if any, charitable contributions have been given to programs that directly benefit African American children. Then, too, according to the company website, there is not a single black executive or key senior leader at The Trump Organization.

“Black guys counting my money! I hate it,” he famously told a colleague. “The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”

Long before he recklessly retweeted false statistics that painted black people as criminally pathological, Trump was sued for housing discrimination. And there are reports that black employees at an Atlantic City property were kept out of view whenever Trump visited.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/01/black-pastors-say-they-re-praying-to-god-about-donald-trump-support.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Montasque posted:

Trump is killing it with the "irony" vote.

EDIT:

The 'conservative' media is really trying to push that Trump/Cruz wedge now:

Trump sides with Rubio, not Cruz, in NSA debate

All Trump said was he stands with GWB era level of surveillance/meta data collection. To spin this in a Cruz vs Trump/Rubio narrative is very telling.

Is this Cruz storm happening as suddenly as it feels?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Fitting considering Hunger Games is probably his ideal America.

Also fitting in that we hope he will kill the other challengers for our amusement.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Montasque posted:

EDIT:

The 'conservative' media is really trying to push that Trump/Cruz wedge now:

Trump sides with Rubio, not Cruz, in NSA debate

All Trump said was he stands with GWB era level of surveillance/meta data collection. To spin this in a Cruz vs Trump/Rubio narrative is very telling.

I hope Trump sees this sudden push for "Cruz is like Trump! Go with Cruz!" media stuff to be Cruz trying to backstab him over whatever deal they made early on and that Trump just destroys clayface as a result.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Jewel Repetition posted:

This is the start of the Cruz push... They have two months to make Cruz happen.

I'm not sure Rush/Hannity will backstab Trump since he's too good a guest to lose. Breitbart is also in an odd position as its owned by a Cruz backer, but many of their writers are VERY pro-Trump, and Trump fanboys make up a huge part of their readership. The rest of the conservative media are making the switch, and you may see outright hostile articles in the coming weeks. The problem they are facing will be when Trump's fanboys start calling them out on their bullshit.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I hope this backfires completely and Cruz supporters jump ship to Trump

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
I've been out of the loop for several weeks, has money chosen which psychotic shithead it wants to destroy society with yet?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's post-Thanksgiving, and everyone is finally getting to full panic over the fact that Trump is still leading the pack.

There are only two real, viable non-Trump options: Rubio and Cruz.

Rubio is Mr. Establishment, leaving Cruz as the only non-Trump guy who can possibly appeal to Trump's base of support/supporters.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

I've been out of the loop for several weeks, has money chosen which psychotic shithead it wants to destroy society with yet?
The Koch Brothers picked Walker and Jeb had a 100 million dollar campaign fund. Walker dropped out, Jeb is polling single digits.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/sep/19/september11.usa9

Radical extremist clerics also assign 9/11 blame to America.
Radical extremist Christian conservatives also assign 9/11 blame to America.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

fade5 posted:

It's post-Thanksgiving, and everyone is finally getting to full panic over the fact that Trump is still leading the pack.

There are only two real, viable non-Trump options: Rubio and Cruz.

Rubio is Mr. Establishment, leaving Cruz as the only non-Trump guy who can possibly appeal to Trump's base of support/supporters.

I don't know if the dichotomy is that strong between Cruz and Rubio (as opposed to say, Cruz and Bush). Even though Rubio is establishment, he's a former tea partier with very high GOP favorables. IMO he'd be the dream candidate if he wasn't 5 years old and bisexual.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

JT Jag posted:

The Koch Brothers picked Walker and Jeb had a 100 million dollar campaign fund. Walker dropped out, Jeb is polling single digits.
nice

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

memy posted:

I hope this backfires completely and Cruz supporters jump ship to Trump

Not going to happen. Cruz supporters are either evangelicals who despise Trump, or ideologically pure elitist conservatives. These are the people that have reams of ridiculous litmus tests they ask for their candidates to pass. Cruz might be the first candidate ever who passes all their idiotic purity tests with flying colors.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
So that email from Ted Cruz, that must be a mistake one? Got it yesterday AND today. No Ted, it is not a mistake.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Montasque posted:

If Trump makes it to the general election I'm almost surely going to support him ironically, all the way up to and possibly past the voting booth. It'll be awfully hard for me to resist the siren's song of dropping a vote on Donald J Trump if he appears on the ballot.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Carson is in full-decline so it's Cruz's turn to go a few rounds against trump. That's all this is. He either maintains or he's replaced by Rubio next month.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Can't wait to see Rubio weild the Sword of Chang.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

The Ninth Layer posted:

If Trump makes it to the general election I'm almost surely going to support him ironically, all the way up to and possibly past the voting booth. It'll be awfully hard for me to resist the siren's song of dropping a vote on Donald J Trump if he appears on the ballot.

Never before and probably never again (either way you look at it) will we have a candidate as amazing, talented, and wrong to hold public office of this magnitude, and is one that actually has a chance at getting it!

I am Stimpy and Trump is the History Eraser Button

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

"Ted Cruz posted:

“Let me be very clear: I don’t believe Donald Trump is gonna be the nominee, I don’t believe he’s gonna be our president,”

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I just realized that Jeb calls himself Jeb because otherwise his name would be John Bush.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Never before and probably never again (either way you look at it) will we have a candidate as amazing, talented, and wrong to hold public office of this magnitude, and is one that actually has a chance at getting it!
I mean, I want to die and all. Especially violently under a Trump® bulldozer as it levels everything I've worked to build. This is really my chance.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I can't wait to have my fingernails pulled out with pliers by the Trumpstapo for the crime of mocking the Donald.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 22, 2016

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Say it with me: President Trump.

Rolls right off the tongue.

president rump

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 22, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how Rubio is going to do it. I feel like sanity will prevail, and he'll ultimately be the nominee, but it's hard to picture a realistic scenario where that happens.

I haven't watched the GOP debates, has anyone really pressed Trump hard on his past statements about universal health care? I feel like this is the only line of attack that hasn't really been tried yet. Obviously appealing to primary voters' decency and attacking him as too far right aren't going to work, but painting him as a New York liberal deep down may.

But Rubio can't credibly attack Trump from the right. Maybe Cruz could do it, and Rubio could just wait for Cruz to be a slimey rear end in a top hat in the spotlight long enough to lose all his support, but Cruz has been kissing Trump's rear end since Day 1.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
So this came through my facebook. Sorry if it got posted before.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

The Ninth Layer posted:

I just realized that Jeb calls himself Jeb because otherwise his name would be John Bush.

"Jeb" is a choice lmao

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I can't wait to have my fingernails pulled out with pliers by the Trumpstapo for the crime of mocking the Donald.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Say it with me. President Trump.

Rolls right off the tongue.

Attention, Trumpstasi: When the Great Purges begin, remember that I was on your side from the beginning!

I have a hard time understand why everyone uses these provocative labels for any element of a putative Trump administration.

....particularly since Trumpabteilung scans so much better. :getin:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I haven't watched the GOP debates, has anyone really pressed Trump hard on his past statements about universal health care? I feel like this is the only line of attack that hasn't really been tried yet. Obviously appealing to primary voters' decency and attacking him as too far right aren't going to work, but painting him as a New York liberal deep down may.

They have, he waved it away by saying that it couldn't happen today because AMERICA IS TOO BROKEN. It worked.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

They have, he waved it away by saying that it couldn't happen today because AMERICA IS TOO BROKEN. It worked.

Ah gently caress that's a great answer.

Welp, poo poo. Trump is on an unstoppable path to world domination. Truly the smartest man in America is Ted Cruz for jumping on the train early.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 1, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I have a hard time understand why everyone uses these provocative labels for any element of a putative Trump administration.

....particularly since Trumpabteilung scans so much better. :getin:

Trumpeitai

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 1, 2015

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The Ninth Layer posted:

Honestly, if Trump won the White House, by the time we'd be having the 2020 election threads on SA most of us would be Republicans angrily denouncing the critics of the first Internet President.

The anti-Trump types would be long-dead in a concentration camp.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Who's audiences are the oldest? Bush has to be in the mix.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xenophon posted:

quote:

Only 46 percent of the Republicans who voted for Bush in his 2002 reelection are on the rolls.

“To be blunt, a whole lot of people who voted for Jeb are dead,” said Alex Patton, a Florida Republican strategist.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Xenophon posted:

Intense, strobing LCDs filled with images of the Normandy invasion to stir them up.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Xenophon posted:

Here's a photo of a raucous Jeb! rally:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Peachstapler posted:

Intense, strobing LCDs filled with images of the Normandy invasion to stir them up.

new mandatory headwear for Jeb rallies:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Xenophon posted:

Jeb campaigning off of the military is so tone deaf and tasteless. Look at this ad:
https://youtu.be/rj0iga1zu6E

Vote for Jeb! He'll create more medal of honor winners!

I actually look forward to Rand and Trump calling out these neo-con pukes on their chicken-hawk bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Respected on the world stage” is definitely a phrase I associate with ¡Jeb!

• Locked thread