Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed
Good news guys - there's a new enemy in the ruins: the madman. Attacks all your dudes for ~11 stress damage. Also traps do more stress damage now too (hooray).

EDIT: Added spoiler for the self flagellating masochists out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Here's a writeup on the skills. Not C/Ping if you want to avoid spoilers

https://www.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/3uw7yr/new_class_abomination/

edit: It sounds like the new meta might favor stress resist (and disfavor -% resist) a little more. I've also been completely ignoring "-20% stress resist in the Ruins" negative quirks because who gave a poo poo before, and in fact those were my favorite types of quirks to get locked in. Also a lot more gold is going to be going into stress relief instead of provisions/trinkets/quirk locking. I'm tentatively hopeful that this is going to be awesome/hilarious in the long run

The stall penalty sounds like bullshit now though

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 30, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There are ways around the stall penalty; keep two monsters stunlocked with Plague Doctor or Hellion for example.

The Madman is pretty squishy and you can stomp him quick before he dishes out too much stress damage.

FYI, Abomination automatically transforms back to human at the end of a fight, healing him for a bit and giving a stress heal to the party (more of a 'refund' since going into Beast Mode stresses your party .

Changes make the game more challenging but there are gameplay workarounds. But people that want to immediately camp then blitz through a dark run will probably not have an easy of a time anymore.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Panfilo posted:

Camping right away now is very risky. With the changes to Heart Attacks and Deaths Door having a hero hit 200 stress drops him into Deaths Door, and being in Deaths Door debuffs you for the rest of the dungeon. They've also started to add debuffs which last until camp, so if you've already camped you're stuck with it for the rest of the dungeon as well.

It's still a viable choice, but it's a gamble.

Prevention still beats a cure

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Normal Adult Human posted:

Prevention still beats a cure

From what i understand there are now more debuffs that last until you camp.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Oh I guess the edit that increases the roster size now crashes any time I open the trinket box, instead of just at the embark screen? So that's cool.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
I don't understand why they feel they need to boost stress in the lategame. With level 1 or 2 characters in a green dungeon, stress is a non-issue. Even with L6 characters in a red dungeon, I find myself needing the tavern after almost every run.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Started a new campaign, and on week 3 I saw both the abomination and the Collector. Both were fun, although I lost my plague doc to the Collector and don't have a replacement :(

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Kly posted:

From what i understand there are now more debuffs that last until you camp.

Herbal medicine removes debuffs now, so you know. It's super handy.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

Started a new campaign, and on week 3 I saw both the abomination and the Collector. Both were fun, although I lost my plague doc to the Collector and don't have a replacement :(

Holy poo poo the Collector kicked my rear end. The mad man is a cool mob too.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Help how the gently caress do I play this game. I just got it 2 days ago and they just patched it and made it harder and then I tried to run with a 2 abomination party and everyone died of heart attacks )but that is probably good because they are godless abominations and vestals seem way more useful) and then I went back to town and everyone was already dead from other dungeons that I failed to complete and I only had 3 dudes in my hero wagon so that was the end of that run because everyone died.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 1, 2015

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Don't try to win at the start. Just make it back with some gold and fire anyone who was lucky enough to make it out alive.

Then send new and fresh volunteers to their death. Eventually you'll have enough coin to buy some armor and training for your luckier victims dupes adventurers.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Cirofren posted:

Don't try to win at the start. Just make it back with some gold and fire anyone who was lucky enough to make it out alive.

Then send new and fresh volunteers to their death. Eventually you'll have enough coin to buy some armor and training for your luckier victims dupes adventurers.

I haven't played the new patch but most tier 1 ruins missions can be completed pretty easily as long as luck doesn't just absolutely gently caress you, and retreating generally nets you marginal gold and trinkets?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Did they give the Siren a little more juice somehow? She took my roided-up Hellion, my Hellion got placed in front, performed Breakthrough, and well... :sweatdrop:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Abomination hits very, very hard.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Abomination brings the total of blight-using classes to three. A blight-based team with no doubling up, ideal for dealing with the Cove, is now closer to reality.

amuayse posted:

Abomination hits very, very hard.

In both forms?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

paradoxGentleman posted:

In both forms?

Nnnnope. The abomination technically has really high base damage but his only human form attacks are a -50% damage stun (still relatively hard hitting as far as stuns go) and a -100% damage AOE blight (much weaker than other area-based DOTs.)

It seems like abomination strategy is probably going to break down something like this:

Easy fights, just use Absolution to heal off stress damage while your teammates kill everything.
Moderately easy fights, stun an enemy or two and then use Absolution.
Hard fights, :unsmigghh:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Ramadu posted:

Help how the gently caress do I play this game. I just got it 2 days ago and they just patched it and made it harder and then I tried to run with a 2 abomination party and everyone died of heart attacks )but that is probably good because they are godless abominations and vestals seem way more useful) and then I went back to town and everyone was already dead from other dungeons that I failed to complete and I only had 3 dudes in my hero wagon so that was the end of that run because everyone died.

Do you remember to have torches at 100% all the time?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ramadu posted:

Have you tried getting good? ;-*

1.) Don't neglect upgrading your stagecoach, you should have more than 3 guys available.
2.) No Estate is ever over unless you want it to be. Hire 3 guys, enter a dungeon. Immediately abandon the dungeon. They get stressed out a bunch but are alive, and attempting a quest has advanced your time by a week.0 Now hire three more guys
3.) Don't get too attached to your early game dudes. They are disposable cannon fodder. That said if they have good traits, you can get a little attached.
4.) Torches at 100% all the goddamn time.
5.) AOE damage is usually a trap in the early game. The best thing you can do to reduce incoming damage/stress is to kill enemies, which means focus fire.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Nnnnope. The abomination technically has really high base damage but his only human form attacks are a -50% damage stun (still relatively hard hitting as far as stuns go) and a -100% damage AOE blight (much weaker than other area-based DOTs.)

It seems like abomination strategy is probably going to break down something like this:

Easy fights, just use Absolution to heal off stress damage while your teammates kill everything.
Moderately easy fights, stun an enemy or two and then use Absolution.
Hard fights, :unsmigghh:

Considering how it seems like he gains stress every turn as a monster, I wonder what the baseline Virtue chance is for abominations? Unless it's atrocious, maybe the Hero Ring (+15% virtue chance) might be a risky but viable choice, aiming to get 100 stress ASAP and hoping for a positive outcome.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell yeah, make your Abomination go Courageous

everyone gets stressed out by him turning into a wolf, only to have that stress healed by his inspiring howls

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Random thoughts about the new patch:

I'm really liking the Abomination. The choice of "is it worth hulking out in this fight, or not?" is an extra strategic decision in the game that no other char provides.

On that note, why can't we see what the Virtue % chance is? The game's decision to hide random information is very frustrating sometimes.

Plague Doctors are pretty good now. It's amazing that 1 blight damage made that big a difference, but I just fired some dudes to make room for a backup PD.

The new debuffs/secondary effects that almost every mob gets at champion level are hilariously over the top. Spearfishing now moves dudes, because I was totally thinking that pre-patch Pellagic Groupers weren't already annoying as gently caress. The stress damage debuff on the Cultist bleeders is horrible. The Madman is a goddamn nightmare.

Overall, the new stress changes are brutal. I'm spending tons more money on stress maintenance. Perhaps more importantly, sometimes I'm finding myself deciding that it's worth risking going over 100 stress. I've taken to including a Hero's Ring in every team loadout, which is certainly not something I ever did before.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I will dig into the files today after I get home from work to get a look at virtue chances. I suspect it is not character based though.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

How concerned should I be with stress reduction early on? I've been reluctant to spend cash until I have a better idea whats going on in the game, so I've been embarking with fresh-ish adventurers and leaving my stressed out guys at home, but now most of my roster is around 80 stress. Do I begin cycling them through the tavern, or just take them into dungeons, let them break and get new hires?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Not a Step posted:

How concerned should I be with stress reduction early on? I've been reluctant to spend cash until I have a better idea whats going on in the game, so I've been embarking with fresh-ish adventurers and leaving my stressed out guys at home, but now most of my roster is around 80 stress. Do I begin cycling them through the tavern, or just take them into dungeons, let them break and get new hires?

You don't have to let them break, you can just dismiss them and get fresh hires.

Having some experienced heroes is pretty nice and I recommend using the tavern/abbey for your favorites, but don't be shy about firing any duds. Classes you hate, bad skill loadouts, multiple bad quirks: can 'em and get new ones.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Not a Step posted:

Scuttle anybody who has noticeably bad traits. If you hit your character limit you should have a couple who have like 1 positive trait and then some horrible nightmare of negative traits and diseases. Only pay to heal a low level character's stress if they have good positive traits and/or no noticeable negative traits at all.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

What are the positive traits that I should be looking for? I have a Bounty Hunter with a +5 accuracy trait and a Hellion with in +10% melee damage trait, both of which seem like no-brainers, but are there any less obvious but still nice traits worth locking in? I'm not sure how I should value stuff like the Explorer traits, deathblow resistance, etc.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ruins traits on Crusaders and Cove traits on Occultists aren't bad, but I'm not sure I would go to the expense to lock them down. +Speed is good on a Man-at-Arms because it lets him get his riposte or his protect buff up more reliably. +Speed is also good on anyone with a stun (Crusader, Vestal, Bounty hunter, Plague Doctor, etc.) or anyone with a DoT attack, because it lets the DoT happen on the enemy turn of the same round. Speed in general is really really useful.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Big Mad Drongo posted:

What are the positive traits that I should be looking for? I have a Bounty Hunter with a +5 accuracy trait and a Hellion with in +10% melee damage trait, both of which seem like no-brainers, but are there any less obvious but still nice traits worth locking in? I'm not sure how I should value stuff like the Explorer traits, deathblow resistance, etc.

On Guard (high speed/dodge on first round -- first round is usually the most dangerous, and the one where you want to go first and alpha them and also avoid their return fire)
Fated
Deadly (1% crit; I'm cooling on this a little)
3% Ranged/Melee Crit
Warrior of Light -- if you're keeping your torch high, why not
Anything +Speed is good if you meet its condition

Explorer/Scrounger/Adventurer etc aren't ever worth locking IMO. I'm trying an Abomination with Irrepressible (+5% virtue chance) but I don't think he's worth it so far.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
It looks like de-stressing costs for heroes go up by like 2-3x as much once they hit vet status, plus having to deal with monsters that inflict more stress and effects. Is it actually possible to make a profit on medium and higher-difficulty runs anymore or do you have to just keep doing a bunch of easy lowbie runs?

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Coolguye posted:

I will dig into the files today after I get home from work to get a look at virtue chances. I suspect it is not character based though.

Virtue chance is currently hidden even when looking in the game files, I suspect we may have to wait for mod tools to see what the odds actually are, much less change them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is only really any good on inaccurate characters. it only procs on misses, after all.

get it on a Leper, fantastic; get it on a Grave Robber, may as well ignore it

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lmao

Start game, knight dude gets crit, bleeds to death, thief dies to second encounter

Both dead

VICTORY, WELCOME TO THE HAMLET

Didn't feel like victory, but ok

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

goddamn that Death's Door debuff is loving awful. I haven't played in a while so imagine how pissed I was when I realized traps now debuff you severely for like 20 loving turns. I tried to do just a simple level 1 venture into the Cove and all these things hosed me right off the bat. the threshold for how frustrating and annoying poo poo is in this game has really increased since its inception, it's disappointing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

is only really any good on inaccurate characters. it only procs on misses, after all.

get it on a Leper, fantastic; get it on a Grave Robber, may as well ignore it

Yep.

Also, I wish they'd put in some sort of notification for a Fated proc. It's not very fun because you have no idea when, if ever, it's proccing. Even boring poo poo like 10% damage is more tangible.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

goddamn that Death's Door debuff is loving awful. I haven't played in a while so imagine how pissed I was when I realized traps now debuff you severely for like 20 loving turns. I tried to do just a simple level 1 venture into the Cove and all these things hosed me right off the bat. the threshold for how frustrating and annoying poo poo is in this game has really increased since its inception, it's disappointing.

Cove traps debuffed you for 20 turns before this patch. Some one earlier said medicinal herbs will cure all debuffs now though, so bring more I guess? I haven't played the new patch yet so I don't know for sure.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kly posted:

Cove traps debuffed you for 20 turns before this patch. Some one earlier said medicinal herbs will cure all debuffs now though, so bring more I guess? I haven't played the new patch yet so I don't know for sure.

didn't realize the Cove is a special case, that's rough but I get it. The DD debuff is still really goddamn rough.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I seem to getting a lot more virtues.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I'm pretty scared to pick this up again as it looks like virtually all of the additions make the game even harder. :ohdear: I haven't played the game for a few weeks since completing everything available.

Are there more Ancestor Trinkets now? Because if I have to fight more Shamblers I'll think I'll kill myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

MinibarMatchman posted:

didn't realize the Cove is a special case, that's rough but I get it. The DD debuff is still really goddamn rough.

All traps have different effect, but the one in the Cove is by far the nastiest, especially since the enemies there generally stronger.

This is a balancing problem on their part, not a planned thing, right? It's not like the Cove gives particularly hefty rewards.