Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

I am going to share photos of our new parking spots. :iia: I no longer feel like a second class citizen.

Seriously it's the feel-good story of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Linedance posted:

My experience with alarmed disc locks are they will arbitrarily become alarmed if a passing pigeon gives them a sideways glance. They are not to be trusted, or relied on to be silent when undisturbed and annoying only when agitated.

We stripped the guts out of one and taped them to a guy's chair when I worked at a dealership. The alarm worked very well when he sat down.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Shimrod posted:

I also work with doctors every day. They're great at what they do ... and that's it.
Jumping on this bandwagon too. I think one of the best qualities any person can have is to know what you know and know what you need help with. People with lots of formal education seem to have had the latter skill educated out of them.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Jumping on this bandwagon too. I think one of the best qualities any person can have is to know what you know and know what you need help with. People with lots of formal education seem to have had the latter skill educated out of them.

I don't know. My wife has a Ph.D. and whenever she does something embarrassing or stupid she likes to jokingly say "I'm a doctor!" To highlight the hilarity of the situation.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

El Jebus posted:

I don't know. My wife has a Ph.D. and whenever she does something embarrassing or stupid she likes to jokingly say "I'm a doctor!" To highlight the hilarity of the situation.

:catholic:"do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, etc., etc.?"

:j:"I'm a doctor!"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yuns posted:

I am going to share photos of our new parking spots. :iia: I no longer feel like a second class citizen.

Wait are you saying the system actually worked?

For you?!?

:aaaaa:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
:iia:

Couldn't get a good shot in the dark when I got home but here is the designation

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is ridiculously, preposterously fantastic. I'd buy the person responsible a present of some sort for making local body governance work like it's supposed to.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

El Jebus posted:

Old Ph.D. I worked for joked that Ph.D. stood for permanently helpless and disabled.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Deeters posted:

We stripped the guts out of one and taped them to a guy's chair when I worked at a dealership. The alarm worked very well when he sat down.

I thought you meant a pigeon.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yuns posted:

Couldn't get a good shot in the dark when I got home but here is the designation

:respek:

Coredump posted:

Old Ph.D. I worked for joked that Ph.D. stood for permanently helpless and disabled.

BullShit, MoreShit, PiledhighDeeply

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Linedance posted:

:catholic:"do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, etc., etc.?"

:j:"I'm a doctor!"

Essentially, yes. She only had her BS at the time though...

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Yuns posted:

Countdown till someone parks their SUV/Porsche lengthwise across all of the spots...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sarrisan posted:

SUV/Porsche

?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
God that thing is ugly.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

They're actually quite good looking in person, the newer ones at least.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nah

Like you see it in your mirror and you're all "oh hey that's pretty nice, what-" and then it passes you and you're just "oh."

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Shimrod posted:

They're actually quite good looking in person, the newer ones at least.

I'll have whatever he's having.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

M42 posted:

I'll have whatever he's having.

It's likely "bathtub" gin, that stuff was well known for causing blindness.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

There's like 10 of them at work, maybe I'm just growing immune to them :/

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The motherfucker that told me Harbor Freight chain breakers are fine and the shithead on youtube that goes hey look it works as a rivet tool can both go eat a a bus full of dicks:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I, uh, that reeks of using the tool wrong.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
not really. It started bending already when I was pushing pins out even though I ground off the mushroomed heads of the master link. Then after I inverted the push pin to use the indented part to flare out the master link's pins, the whole frame started warping. I haven't even put enough force on it to mushroom anything yet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have one of those and I've never had problems with it. Are you sure you actually ground the flared part off completely?

I also wouldn't be surprised if Harbor Freight has no quality control whatsoever, though, and you got one from a bad batch made of melted-down tin cans and old batteries.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just cut the chain with the angle grinder, what's the point of using the tool to take it apart nicely?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mine has never got close to bending. Are you pushing the pins out of tank treads or what

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's probably from a bad batch. After this one warped I went and got a Motion Pro set before the store's thanksgiving sale ended and that set worked just fine.

Yup, I grounded off the heads completely. Thought the push pin was maybe off-center but nope, it was straight. The push pin itself didn't bend either, it's frame that bent. It's not even a big chain, it's a stupid 520 for a Ninja 250.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I want a new KTM 690 Duke. That's it, that's my rant.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Adding to your rant: I like mine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am mad that I bought a bike, rode it 70 miles and then the weather dipped down into the 30's. That is what I am mad about.

It's like reverse thanksgiving

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

I want a new KTM 690 Duke. That's it, that's my rant.

I want an old one but whenever there's one for sale I'm always like nope still too expensive.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Angryboot posted:

It's probably from a bad batch. After this one warped I went and got a Motion Pro set before the store's thanksgiving sale ended and that set worked just fine.

Yup, I grounded off the heads completely. Thought the push pin was maybe off-center but nope, it was straight. The push pin itself didn't bend either, it's frame that bent. It's not even a big chain, it's a stupid 520 for a Ninja 250.

I suspect the person with one that didn't bend got a good one.

I've replaced my chain four times, and each time I've broken the chain tool. I keep the tool in the package until it's time to replace the chain, then open the package use (and break) the tool, then take the whole thing back to harbor freight and get it swapped with an unbroken one. The new package then goes in the toolbox to wait.

I consider them one-time-use disposable tools; harbor freight warranty is worth what I paid.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It really shouldn't be possible to destroy the tool on every use. Like, you're putting the thing under a decent amount of force, but I've got a stockton tool chain breaker I got from Cycle Gear for 35 bucks on special and it's never broken a part/had an issue, across chains of all sizes. If you're bending the tool like that, it seems like you must be using the wrong size driver head, have the tool lined up wrong, aren't grinding the heads off the rivets, or something. Because pushing a pin through a chain doesn't take that much force.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Z3n posted:

It really shouldn't be possible to destroy the tool on every use. Like, you're putting the thing under a decent amount of force, but I've got a stockton tool chain breaker I got from Cycle Gear for 35 bucks on special and it's never broken a part/had an issue, across chains of all sizes. If you're bending the tool like that, it seems like you must be using the wrong size driver head, have the tool lined up wrong, aren't grinding the heads off the rivets, or something. Because pushing a pin through a chain doesn't take that much force.

Oh, it pushes the pin just fine. I'm destroying it by using it as a rivet spreader as well. It's absolutely not designed for that.

Although, this time I've got a machinist's hammer and a big chunk of tool steel to use as an anvil; I might be able to flatten the rivet the "right" way.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Angryboot posted:

The motherfucker that told me Harbor Freight chain breakers are fine and the shithead on youtube that goes hey look it works as a rivet tool can both go eat a a bus full of dicks:

It worked fine for me. :shrug:

They definitely aren't a riveter though. I only got mine as a sort of sacrificial tool since I don't have an angle grinder to cut a chain off. Much rather break a cheapo harbor freight tool than break one of the heads off my Motion Pro.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You don't really need something as big as an angle grinder. I've cut most of a link with a dremel then snapped the plate by hand before. Really isn't a big deal on that part.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
If you're taking the time to grind the heads off the rivets you should be able to just pry the garbage link off with a screwdriver.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Can you drill the rivet head off or would it turn in the link?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How to remove a chain:

1. Drive to a hardware store
2. Buy a $20 angle grinder
3. Cut the chain off in >20 seconds

The overthinking ITT is making my head hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Retarded Pimp posted:

Can you drill the rivet head off or would it turn in the link?

It turns in the link. I found this out when I was cutting my chain with the grinder and my last cutting wheel broke after making it through the first sideplate. Then my dilemma became: walk to the hardware store for another cutting wheel, take my bike with a link half-cut (and all the tools to replace the chain on the side of the road if it fails), or try any of the other tools in the toolbox.