Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

rejutka posted:

Really? I can see that but I thought the main variation of come-into-my-castle (not oo-er) was like Red Rover, Red Rover, Come On Over, I Choose the Colour [whatever] and if you were not wearing or showing whatever colour you had to hop on one leg to get to the safe zone and the catcher could grab you and then it was your turn.

Red rover is fun until someone dislocates their elbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always assumed that come-into-my-castle was just the noble family version of house.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mossyfisk posted:

He delivers them in much the same form as 9/11 conspiracy videos, same principle.

Yeah the series is long enough, full of enough little details, ambiguities and illusion of depth that you can make almost any theory sound plausible by just quoting selectively and removing context. It's even easier if you start dipping into the author's other works since GRRM's been writing for decades. Even the people obsessed with ASOIAF don't seem to bother with any of his other stuff and when they do it's usually trying to see how it relates to his fantasy series. So you have to take Preston's word that they're actually about what he says they are and remember this is the guy who puts crazy poo poo like Yoren being an agent of Varys in the "what you've missed" series intended for show-watchers, as if its fact and not an insane theory. Someone who hasn't read the books would not be able to distinguish Preston's harebrained conspiracies from actual plot points

so I don't really trust his judgement of literature, especially since he's only reading those stories to mine quotes for Youtube revenue

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A lot of the poo poo Jacobs notices is undoubtedly correct and also quite astute, the whole LF/Iron-Bank debt scheme thing is clever and it's very obviously an intentional and important plot point, however, just noticing poo poo and not trying to tie it with overarching conspiracies that purport to predict the end of the series does not a successful youtube channel make. At some point he figured out that the more crazy he puts into his videos the more people eat it up. so why not? He probably makes a few hundreds of dollars every month from making those videos, and it's not like it's an insane amount of effort, so why not.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What debt scheme? LF hosed their finances on purpose and handed the bill to Cersei who promptly reneged and got the iron bank to fund stannis?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Basically yes but it's more involved than that, the crown isn't the only entity in westeros which is currently bankrupt; LF basically caused a chain reaction where the iron bank is trying to divest from Westeros. The videos are called 'The littlefinger debt scheme', one of his more plausible series all-in-all.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Basically yes but it's more involved than that, the crown isn't the only entity in westeros which is currently bankrupt; LF basically caused a chain reaction where the iron bank is trying to divest from Westeros. The videos are called 'The littlefinger debt scheme', one of his more plausible series all-in-all.

I disagree with him 30 seconds in. Why does he think Renly found out about the incest? Renly just wanted to depose the queen because she was making his brother miserable and bring him a hopeful lyanna lookalike. I never got the impression Renly found out about incest, and I think he mocked stannis's interpretation of events to his face. Did that happen?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I always assumed Renly's plan was basically to come to robert with proof about Cersei while offering him the perfect political getaway and the ability to completely wipe out the lannisters with one stroke, Marge is of course a part of the deal cause it's Robert they're dealing with. His plan requires Robert casting Cersei aside, I assumed he was going to use the incest for that, what else?

As for the conversation with Stannis, I'm pretty sure that it's just Renly being a dick, after all if he had no idea about the illegitimacy of the incest-spawns why would he be so quick to denounce them and flee Cersei's reach the moment Robert looks like he's a goner. And it's kinda important to note that pretty much anyone who wasn't an idiot already suspected poo poo by that point, Olenna described Joffrey as "Who calls himself Baratheon but looks so very Lannister" or something along those lines. I seriously doubt Renly wasn't in the know.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
As soon as Stannis accused the Lannisters of incest, they responded by spreading a rumor that Shireen was fathered by Patchface, and I'm pretty sure Renly used that to dismiss Stannis' claim.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The really funny thing about the Lord of the Crossing game is that one of the Freys (Walder I think?) says mayhaps around Robb just before the Red Wedding.

The fat man is good at little details like that.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Ginette Reno posted:

The really funny thing about the Lord of the Crossing game is that one of the Freys (Walder I think?) says mayhaps around Robb just before the Red Wedding.

The fat man is good at little details like that.

Big man Frey himself said it. To their faces. He said something along the lines of "yeah you said you'd marry one of my ugly daughters. Didn't even say mayhaps. heh."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Krinkle posted:

Big man Frey himself said it. To their faces. He said something along the lines of "yeah you said you'd marry one of my ugly daughters. Didn't even say mayhaps. heh."

He also said it while offering them bread and wine, "and a sausage mayhaps." Enough to appease the gods, surely?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was not meant as some secret voodoo ceremony or even a superstition, more as an in-joke for his fellow Freys and from the gurm to attentive readers.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

That... That bastard. He didn't serve them sausages. That's the lowest kind of sneak.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It was not meant as some secret voodoo ceremony or even a superstition, more as an in-joke for his fellow Freys and from the gurm to attentive readers.

I agree. I almost mentioned this but I lost the thread and wasn't sure he was saying that it was. If anything he's saying "you broke the rules and now I'm gonna throw you in the river" but in coded language that only his kin would laugh at, and us from watching the frey children explain it.

Haha this littlefinger debt scheme series is intriguing, the parts that make sense, and hilarious, the parts where he declares obvious motivations "don't quite fit" and goes off on dumb tangents.

Oh god. It's too good. Littlefinger believes in the old gods, knows that the wierwoods are how they see, is purposefully tricking them by controlling what they see, has framed Ser Dontos, the rightful lord of duskendale, for the kidnapping of Sansa, and as far as bran/greenseers know Dontos has her in essos. There are no wierwoods in the eyrie and he sent dontos to meet her only in front of the heart tree of the king's landing godswood.

Not because it's literally the only place where you can't hide a little bird, that it's the only place you can plot in the red keep without varys finding out. That other thing. The manipulating prophecy thing.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 30, 2015

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Krinkle posted:

I disagree with him 30 seconds in. Why does he think Renly found out about the incest? Renly just wanted to depose the queen because she was making his brother miserable and bring him a hopeful lyanna lookalike. I never got the impression Renly found out about incest, and I think he mocked stannis's interpretation of events to his face. Did that happen?

Renly definitely knew, since his entire plan to get Robert to dump Cersei for Margaery doesn't work if Robert's kids by Cersei are still legitimate, any kids by Margaery would still be behind Joffrey and Tommen. Therefore, Renly knew about the incest, as did every smal council member with half a brain. The only intelligent character in Game of Thrones who didn't know was Tywin.

Race for the Iron Throne has a huge page on the Littlefinger conspiracy. Basically a lot of kickbacks, mortgaging, and making loans with no intentions to pay them back, wasting Crown money to multipy revenues while also multiplying the costs.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I think it was more Tywin was in massive denial rather than not knowing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TK-42-1 posted:

I think it was more Tywin was in massive denial rather than not knowing.

Could his attempts to get Jaime out of the Kingsguard and back to the Rock also be viewed in this light? Reading the last few posts made me think that maybe it doubled as an attempt to get Jaime away from Cersei as well as getting an heir that isn't also a dwarf.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Could his attempts to get Jaime out of the Kingsguard and back to the Rock also be viewed in this light? Reading the last few posts made me think that maybe it doubled as an attempt to get Jaime away from Cersei as well as getting an heir that isn't also a dwarf.

Pretty confident that this was the case. I believe after Jamie refuses to ditch the Kingsguard that Tywin tells him that he's gonna send Cersei back to Casterly Rock

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
is the book out yet

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is grrm dead yet

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Inside, maybe.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah Tywin absolutely knew what was going on. Any doubt he had likely went up in smoke when his son up and begged to join the Kingsguard to follow Cersei to King's Landing.

Also a servant(?) caught them in the act when they were younger. That kind of thing doesn't stay secret from a guy like Tywin.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah Tywin absolutely knew what was going on. Any doubt he had likely went up in smoke when his son up and begged to join the Kingsguard to follow Cersei to King's Landing.

Also a servant(?) caught them in the act when they were younger. That kind of thing doesn't stay secret from a guy like Tywin.

joanna caught them not a servant , i think

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

also jaime was named to the kingsguard by aerys he didnt ask for it

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

wight power

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

jsoh posted:

also jaime was named to the kingsguard by aerys he didnt ask for it

Jaime asked for it so he could be close to Kings Landing and Cersei. Aerys agreed to spite Tywin and take away his heir. Tywin got pissed and sent Cersei from the capital and resigned as Kings Hand

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Ladies and GURMs, how often does this chance present itself? A close-on twenty-year book series gets surpassed by the TV show, and the TV show finishes. This is a moment, this is epochal, this is surpassing.

This is GRRM.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

i remembered it as jaime was already in the capital with his family and got noticed there and named to the kingsguard because aerys wanted to gently caress with tywin, i might be wrong tho . i dont remember anything about jaime asking for it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rejutka posted:

Ladies and GURMs, how often does this chance present itself? A close-on twenty-year book series gets surpassed by the TV show, and the TV show finishes. This is a moment, this is epochal, this is surpassing.

This is GRRM.

This happens all the time with anime, which is frankly about the same tier of nerd shitlordness as ASOIAF.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought Aerys was suspicious of Tywin (and everyone else) and made Jamie a kingsguard because he wanted him close, as a hostage-but-not-really. Jamie jumped at the idea of course.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Skipping 52 pages to say: Haha gently caress you GRRM, enjoy a jack off cable channel finishing your lifes work you pear shaped butthole.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jsoh posted:

i remembered it as jaime was already in the capital with his family and got noticed there and named to the kingsguard because aerys wanted to gently caress with tywin, i might be wrong tho . i dont remember anything about jaime asking for it

Nah that's a bridge too far to try and make Jamie sympathetic even by GRRM's standards.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Nah that's a bridge too far to try and make Jamie sympathetic even by GRRM's standards.

Jamie is written as a pretty sympathetic character basically the entire time after he pushes Bran out the window.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Gonna be awesome when we learn that he lied to Brienne about the kingslaying in the book that will never come.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This happens all the time with anime, which is frankly about the same tier of nerd shitlordness as ASOIAF.

The similarities to ASOIAF and Berserk are quite stunning in time vs written content.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Koirhor posted:

The similarities to ASOIAF and Berserk are quite stunning in time vs written content.

Initial D also.

The bleach anime was canceled ages ago and the manga trudges on at 2 seconds of in-story time per chapter.

Trigun went away, came back as Trigun maximum, and the show just wrote its own ending because the manga just kept running and getting more incoherent.

I'm sure someone nerdier than me can give more examples.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Koirhor posted:

Even the Japanese Absolute Fucker is progressing his story, though.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

At the risk of probating:

Lol if you think Tyrion has only been cucked once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Initial D also.

The bleach anime was canceled ages ago and the manga trudges on at 2 seconds of in-story time per chapter.

This is literally every long-running manga isn't it? Berserk is just especially bad at it. Though the artwork is amazing.