Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Whoops Hope CNN takes one for the team and just doesn't host him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

Whoops
Hope CNN takes one for the team and just doesn't host him.

Oh yeah, CNN is super brave about journalism.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No, but they may be about an extorted 5m.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Can't see why CNN would refuse his offer. Do they hate our veterans?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

No, but they may be about an extorted 5m.

Which is less than they would lose in ad buys for not paying him $5 mil and having him out.

I sincerely hope they won't do it because of the insane precedent it would set but if anyone would, it'd be CNN.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It's strange how the left considers themselves moral arbiters and protectors of Muslim Americans when people say mean things about them, while their president blows them up because they're on a list and the response is a shrug.

But sure, "right wing bullshit". Just like Syrian refugees are somehow a moral imperative now, but when they actually had homes and a country, no one wanted to commit troops or material.

lol, what's the going kill-count of civilians under Obama's administration vs the Bush administration? 3,000? Versus the nearly 1,000,000 under Bush?

Go gently caress yourself.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

LGD posted:

It's not like we haven't had multiple previous waves of nativist concern over immigrants and their religious beliefs, why make extremely strained parallels to the Red Scare(s) when there are much more apt historical comparisons?

It was the armed loons in Texas putting out the home addresses of "Muslims and Muslim sympathizers."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Can't see why CNN would refuse his offer. Do they hate our veterans?

Well if they were clever, they'd realize Trump lives or dies by the amount of media frenzy he can generate since he's even more lacking in substance than many other GOP hopefuls and, if they call his bluff, hopefully other media organizations realize that he needs them a hell of a lot more than the reverse.

They're not clever, though, so it's a moot point.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

The new media message by the way is that Rosa Parks was a god-fearing Republican because she was fighting against racist Democrats.

The Dixiecrat flip has had some unfortunate consequences when it comes to manipulating peoples' ignorance about historical context. :smithicide:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh dear.

(Yes, it's real.)

Yeah, but Bernie said that if the government forced the millionaires and billionaires to give her a raise, she wouldn't have had to ride the bus to begin with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well if they were clever, they'd realize Trump lives or dies by the amount of media frenzy he can generate since he's even more lacking in substance than many other GOP hopefuls and, if they call his bluff, hopefully other media organizations realize that he needs them a hell of a lot more than the reverse.

He'd just buy time (or have it given to him) by another network and have his own counterprogramming and everyone would tune into that.

Unless there are specific FEC rules to prevent that.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

zoux posted:

Oh yeah, CNN is super brave about journalism.
I think it'd be funny if Trump refuses to attend and CNN turns around and hypes the event as open season for the attending candidates to poo poo all over Trump.

It will never happen, despite the incompetence of CNN's leadership, but it's fun to imagine.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

foobardog posted:

This is like complaining about car dealers dressing up as presidents for Presidents' Day sales. American society is much more forgiving of corporate shamelessness than political shamelessness.

You're probably right that both should be upsetting.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did you want the idealist answer or the realistic answer?

Yeah I'm not saying you have to pick either idealistic or pessimistic, just lets not let our non-fleshy persons get away with poo poo (or praise our fleshy people more for the same).

Although, I could dig going all feast day on our American Heros of all stripes. Force big brands of all kinds to make a version of their logo with Bessie Coleman etc.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Thump! posted:

lol, what's the going kill-count of civilians under Obama's administration vs the Bush administration? 3,000? Versus the nearly 1,000,000 under Bush?

Go gently caress yourself.

I'm talking about US citizens who are Islamic.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I'm talking about US citizens who are Islamic.

Oh no the Islamic Americans!!!! Who will burn their mosques?!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I would think the pro move would be to decline Trump's offer, open the program with a message about having dropped the $5mill on charity anyway, and go on with the debate without him.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

Just for $$$, which makes it ok, got it.

Mind telling us how much extra $$$ Google gets out of featuring Marie Curie or Jonas Salk on their homepage?

Joementum posted:

Yeah, but Bernie said that if the government forced the millionaires and billionaires to give her a raise, she wouldn't have had to ride the bus to begin with.

Keep pushing that narrative.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Have any of you read the New New Deal, by Michael Grunwald? I'm like 50 pages in and it's pretty drat interesting.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm trying to find the Pew article I read earlier in the year, but I believe it fell something like the most liberal branch was the Navy with a 48%/52% Lib/Con split and the worst was the Army with a 35%/65% split with the Air Force not far behind. Marines were surprisingly liberal mainly because there is a comparatively high percentage of minorities but still fell way behind the Navy.

Yup, the Army figure coincides pretty well with a poll from the Military Times I saw a couple of months back as well. A former good friend of mine since high school was in the army for a few years (stationed in either Louisiana or Alabama...or both I guess?) and said that the base had right-wing radio and Fox News playing all the time. Depressing, but made sense.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

Mind telling us how much extra $$$ Google gets out of featuring Marie Curie or Jonas Salk on their homepage?

Good PR is essential when your product is eyeballs. Google gets the benefit of "supporting women in science" without having to do anything except throw up a doodle. That's the pessimist take.

The optimist should be praising both Google and the Clinton campaign, did OFA take the extra effort to highlight Parks at the logo level?

Me? I waffle between the two based on how much coffee I've had.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 1, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

Good PR is essential when your product is eyeballs.

Cool, mind quantifying what effect that good PR had? Or that it is indeed good PR in an objective sense? This is all doable for most corporate PR, so surely being so confident, you've got some evidence to back up your assertions.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

Cool, mind quantifying what effect that good PR had? Or that it is indeed good PR in an objective sense? This is all doable for most corporate PR, so surely being so confident, you've got some evidence to back up your assertions.

All of those questions can be asked of the people decrying the Clinton campaign for doing the same thing...that's kinda my point.

edit: its like you don't believe in "earned media" as a good thing for your brand. Also lol that most brand PR can be objectively evaluated.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 1, 2015

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah sure it will go to wounded warriors. i loving doubt it.

Trump is a warrior for the American people, and CNN has wounded him so.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Didn't Trump pull this exact same stunt after the first CNN debate, when he demanded CNN give the profits from the debate to him because he was the reason they got those ratings?

In that case, CNN did nothing and nothing came of it.

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

I would think the pro move would be to decline Trump's offer, open the program with a message about having dropped the $5mill on charity anyway, and go on with the debate without him.

This would entail CNN not only willingly sacrificing their ratings, but losing even more money upfront, all in the name of taking a stand for something. Or simply put, the last things CNN will ever do.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Radbot posted:

Keep pushing that narrative.

I love that you think my dumb jokes are a "narrative".

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

Whoops

They'll ignore it and if he refuses to show up they'll put out an empty podium right in the middle for people to take shots at.

This is so obviously the one and only correct and sensible move for them to make that I'm legit interested to see what dumb thing they do instead

edit - wait hold on, the money would just go to Trump and he promises he'd donate it? Like if they donated to the group directly he would view it as an act of belligerence? I thought Trump just wanted to see them donate, not "hey give me $5 million to come to your future trainwreck of a debate"

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 2, 2015

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Joementum posted:

I love that you think my dumb jokes are a "narrative".

I think probably every Republican candidate would do away with public transportation altogether; the free-market solution to the Rosa Parks problem.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Riosan posted:

Will evangelicals eat this poo poo up or does the theological problem of evil not apply to 9/11 et al?

The usual response from the more hardcore evangelicals is that stuff like 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, etc., are that they're intentional acts of God, because he's punishing America because we're so bad at being Christian. Rubio's answer is weaselly enough that the evangelicals will see it as a wink and a nod to what they believe, and know that Rubio can't REALLY say that because of all this gosh darn political correctness.

See:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/august/24.55.html
http://www.salon.com/2015/03/31/fox_news_contributor_says_911_was_gods_punishment_for_abortion/
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2008/04/23/22152/hagee-katrina-mccain/
http://www.ethicsdaily.com/fundamentalists-view-hurricane-katrina-as-gods-punishment-cms-6269
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/23/pat-robertson-natural-disasters-middle-east-peace_n_3641433.html
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/glenn-beck-japan-earthquake-message-god-follow-ten-commandments-article-1.117860
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/01/13/haiti.pat.robertson/

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

stinkles1112 posted:

I think probably every Republican candidate would do away with public transportation altogether; the free-market solution to the Rosa Parks problem.

Many would, but others enjoy the social segregation public transportation affords them from their lessers, while simultaneously making sure the help gets to work on time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Many would, but others enjoy the social segregation public transportation affords them from their lessers, while simultaneously making sure the help gets to work on time.

They prefer private mass transit, like Suburban Express:

https://popehat.com/2013/04/28/suburban-express-took-the-first-bus-to-the-streisand-effect-have-they-disembarked-in-time/

quote:

In other words, if you accept Suburban Express' terms and conditions, even though you go to school in Champaign County, they will say you're agreeing you can be sued in a different county, that you'll pay their attorney to demand money from you, that you'll pay their attorney fees if they sue you, and that you'll pay a flat $500 if they think you or your friends have been rude to Suburban Express.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Well, looks like Trump was right about the 9/11 videos and we were all fools.

Not sure if it was already covered, but the guy in that video himself says that Trump is full of poo poo. :lol:

But this is truly an amazing conspiracy theory, even by Republican standards. Supposedly THOUSANDS of MUSLIMS were cheering in New Jersey after 9/11, and yet we cannot find a single source corroborating this claim. One of Trump's idiot advisers tried to defend him by saying that we didn't have camera phones at the time (We had tons of footage of 9/11 but whatever) Now even if that was the case, if what Trump is claiming is in fact correct, presumably he didn't see these people celebrate up close and personal. He says he saw it on T.V. or whatever. So if that's the case, that means someone somewhere must have recorded such a thing, so why is that footage not been discovered yet?

But here's the biggest hole in Trump's claim. So again, supposedly THOUSANDS AND THOUSAND OF MUSLIMS were celebrating after 9/11 in New Jersey, and for some strange inexplicable reason, every single major right-wing, conservative, pro-Republican news outlet in the entire country decided to ignore it?

Man, the liberal media runs loving deep, don't it?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yeah I don't think the right would sit on that bombshell and wait for a fascist 14 years later to dredge it up. They'd be perfectly willing to use it right away to oppress Muslims.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mr. Wookums posted:

Whoops

Y'all have the memory of a goldfish, he's done this for every debate and he's yet to have skipped one. He just uses it as an excuse to bash the hosts of the debate for not caring about veterans.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Has Christie tried to defend the honor of- oh right I forgot he's a kids table candidate. Who cares. Also it's the primary, got to say the craziest poo poo.

Also also NPR has been saying something about Christie making noise in NH Primary. Does this matter?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PhazonLink posted:

Has Christie tried to defend the honor of- oh right I forgot he's a kids table candidate. Who cares. Also it's the primary, got to say the craziest poo poo.

Also also NPR has been saying something about Christie making noise in NH Primary. Does this matter?

I think it has to do with some major NH right-wing rag endorsing him. But to answer your question, no. No, it doesn't.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Mr Interweb posted:

Have any of you read the New New Deal, by Michael Grunwald? I'm like 50 pages in and it's pretty drat interesting.

I've read it few years ago and what I remember first is how Grunwald described some politicians involved in the stimulus. I've mostly seen politicians mocked here, so reading about politicians being praised is surprising. It is the first political book I've read, outside of Al Franken's work.

The scope of the stimulus is also surprising. It is such a...big deal.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is it because these early primaries(Iowa, NH, etc) have never been kingmakers? I think I remember reading that during 2012.

edit: Also just heard from the tv that Christie literally wants to gently caress with a recent refugee family in Paterson, NJ(which is also apparently where these 9/11 cheering Muslims were)

Jesus.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 2, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PhazonLink posted:

Is it because these early primaries(Iowa, NH, etc) have never been kingmakers?

Correct, but they are loser-makers. Candidates outside of the top three in the early primaries are :rip:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If they were actually clever they would just donate $5 million to Wounded Warriors themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Inglonias posted:

If they were actually clever they would just donate $5 million to Wounded Warriors themselves.

Trump: "I'm so great, I forced those liberal media losers over at CNN, who hate America and our military, to give vets $5 million with my mindgames. Look how good and smart I am. I'm the best negotiator."

American Public: "DANG WOW TRUMP SURE SHOWED CNN!" *poll numbers rise 5 more points*

• Locked thread