Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Dr. Klas posted:

And the poking with stick part of the video?

IDK about you but my first reaction to pretty much any mechanical weirdness is to poke it with a stick, you know, for science.

E: 25000th reply, did i win anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
There beating the built up soot and oil out of it and apparently the total newbs get to do this.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Northern Cape, South Africa

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's gonna be expensive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Postal posted:

Fury Road deleted scene?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You think that's impressive? Check out my stopper.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Fury Road deleted scene?

The next mad max needs one of those in it. It would be amazing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

G-Mach posted:

The next mad max needs one of those in it. It would be amazing.

COMBAT BAGGER

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MrYenko posted:

Fury Road deleted scene?

More like the thanksgivings traffic on the trip to the in laws

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

You think that's impressive? Check out my stopper.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/Dk6wH18h.jpg[timg]

I just took the stopper motor out of my car. Took several trips to the parts store to get one that started instead.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Only in Russia would they design a diesel with an afterburner.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain Postal posted:

Megaweapon noooo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Megaweapon noooo

drat, beat me to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone should forward that to Rockstar because when those catch on fire in GTAV it's nowhere near that impressive. You get a few licks of flame from the undercarriage and not much else until it explodes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not really a horrible mechanical failure, but just something that made me laugh:

Guy posted how he reinforced his Harbor Freight ramps by adding some extra stringers to the base. I suspect that if you reached the point where the ramp was going to fold in half, those pop-rivets(?) would have long since sheared apart.

I also suspect it could lead to some OSHA.jpg content when he overloads the ramps because "I made em stronger"

He does seem to be backing them up with jack stands though so there's that.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 1, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
 McMaster says that a 3/16" aluminum blind pop rivet has a shear strength of 310lbs and a tensile strength of 500lbs. 

Reduce by 30%ish for manufacturing defects, and you get 200lbs extra per bar. At the angle he has those loaded in, I'd put mechanical disadvantage (not direct shear, but though the backside of an inefficient lever) and I'd feel safe putting that back up to 250lbs/side. So, 500 extra pounds of safety per ramp.

Of course, reduced by whatever he did by drilling holes into the plastic, so :shrug:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
At this point he's better off re-building the ramps with the rest of his erector set

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

McMaster says that a 3/16" aluminum blind pop rivet has a shear strength of 310lbs and a tensile strength of 500lbs. 

Reduce by 30%ish for manufacturing defects, and you get 200lbs extra per bar. At the angle he has those loaded in, I'd put mechanical disadvantage (not direct shear, but though the backside of an inefficient lever) and I'd feel safe putting that back up to 250lbs/side. So, 500 extra pounds of safety per ramp.

Of course, reduced by whatever he did by drilling holes into the plastic, so :shrug:

You assume that those are any actual grade of aluminum and not whatever random alloy came out of the scrap smelter that day

i have seen some cheeeeeeeeeeap fasteners

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Either way, open ramps are terrible mechanical failures.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Either way, open ramps are terrible mechanical failures.

I almost killed my dad when I was a lil kid and he has his Nova up on a pair of them. I've been told I pulled the parking break off while he was underneath it and the bumper gave his forehead a bit of a shave as it came rolling by.

Not having a wheel chock is technically the terrible mechanic failure, but it's what I think about every time I see a pair of them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Those are pressed steel (alright, pressed chinesium) ramps not plastic, btw.

Not a bad idea, but if he used, say, 5/16 or 3/8 grade 8 bolts (cheap as gently caress at TSC in the bolts by the pound section) with washers and torqued them properly, it'd be way stronger than the e-galv grade 3/5 fasteners he appears to have used.

No way those are pop rivets, either, look how far the one at the middle sticks out behind the angle iron. That's probably #10 ungraded (2/3/5 depending on what they got cheap that day, likely) machine screw assortment kit from the hardware store.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The vertical bar would help a lot too. Presuming he put one on both sides, of course.

Or at least they would until they puncture that paper thin steel and go right into his tires, because I bet he cut those straight and didn't bevel or back them up with a load spreading plate.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

This looks fine...

Wait, what?

Oh goddamnit

I hope that control arm mount can just be re-kajiggerd

Some rear end in a top hat in an suv ran a stop sign. My wife, when faced with the choice of a t-bone on the driver's side and swerving/hitting a curb, she chose the curb. rear end in a top hat didn't even stop.

I pulled the bent rim and put the rear wheel on the front, then put the donut on the rear, so I wouldn't cook the diff. I'm gonna roll this over to an indy BMW shop and hopefully the strut isn't hosed. The control arm is stamped steel and the tie rod looked okay, just the FCA mount got pushed over. I probably need to get new tires that hit the curb too, lest I get bubbles in the sidewalls, right?

e: looks like the rim is $226 on realoem
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=SU33-USA-08-2013-R56N-Mini-Cooper&diagId=36_1004

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 1, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're in for a fun time. The control arm bolt you can see isn't the only one. There is another one which bolts into the subframe through the sway bar mount, you can see them on the right in the second picture. If the whole cast assembly that holds the bush has moved, the subframe is bent.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Slavvy posted:

You're in for a fun time. The control arm bolt you can see isn't the only one. There is another one which bolts into the subframe through the sway bar mount, you can see them on the right in the second picture. If the whole cast assembly that holds the bush has moved, the subframe is bent.

My wife's Mini has never been the same after a similar hit. We replaced everything except the subframe and just deal with the camber wear. Ugh.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mechanic says the balljoint broke. I'm inclined to believe him. The steering wheel felt only mildly connected to the wheels at any speed over 40. That felt like a death ride on the fury road. I told my wife that if this thing starts having all kinds of stupid semi related issues down the road, it's getting sold, she's getting my subie, and I'm getting another shitbox subie. I'm not dealing with another episode of Bring Money With you

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Lifehack: this also works on your family!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I wondered if anybody was dumb enough to fall for those stupid facebook memes. Now I know! Probably the same people that roll into my work every day with their tires inflated to the sidewall max pressure.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Obviously the service writer is having fun with the tech.. right right? No one's that dumb are they? Right? Guys....

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

tater_salad posted:

Obviously the service writer is having fun with the tech.. right right? No one's that dumb are they? Right? Guys....

Copied from from my post in the schadenfreude thread:

My mechanic cousin jokingly posts these on Facebook all the time, I never thought someone would be stupid enough to take it seriously.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

People who use "whilst" are the worst.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

#define whilst while

:v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
:laugh:

Car & Driver posted:

Lets get this out of the way up front: The litany of breakdowns suffered by our long-term 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 (C7) was simply appalling. Yes, we know a car is a machine made up of thousands of components, and that despite massive leaps in technology and manufacturing that make cars far more reliable today than they were just a couple of product cycles ago, things can and do go wrong. But sheesh.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-manual-long-term-test-wrap-up

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Erstwhile, he attempted to define whilst during the exam.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xergm posted:

Copied from from my post in the schadenfreude thread:

My mechanic cousin jokingly posts these on Facebook all the time, I never thought someone would be stupid enough to take it seriously.

Oh I saw the post.. and I guess poeple are just that dumb. But I did re-fill my tires with winter air just in case.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Oh I saw the post.. and I guess poeple are just that dumb. But I did re-fill my tires with winter air just in case.

Should use pure nitrogen, instead of that crappy 78% nitrogen the gas station gives you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

Should use pure nitrogen, instead of that crappy 78% nitrogen the gas station gives you.

I use pure helium.. makes the tires lighter.. ever hear of unsprung weight? well with the extra lift of the helium I have less.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo the amount of issues they had with that car. How hard is it for GM to even do the most basic things like properly cleaning down an engine block after it has been machined? Or seals that don't leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"Jared Gall: I absolutely love this car, but I would never recommend anyone buy one. The only safe course of action is to convince GM to loan you one until it breaks."

That's a round about way to suggest resuming the 24 hour test drive program.