Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sorin's got his own cooler group, why would he need this new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fiend Computer posted:

New card got spoiled today.

Tis the season.

I like that they made a card where the type of sleeve you play can actually matter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
All I'm saying is that this sounds like they're forming the Fairy Tail guild.

(You get an emblem with: "If a creature your opponent controls would die, if that creature is cool and/or hot, gain control of that creature instead.")

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 1, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sorin's got his own cooler group, why would he need this new one

Yeah, basically. I think it is pretty obvious that they're going for three groups of walkers. "The Kids": Chandra/Jace/Lili*/Gideon/Nissa/Kiora, "The Adults": Ajani/Elspeth/Garruk/Sarkhan/Koth, and "The Old Fucks with Issues": Sorin/Ugin/Nahiri/Ob Nix/Karn/Nicol Bolas

(Yes, I know Lili is technically an old walker.)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Isn't there a "where's Sorin?" Subplot now? Like the Superfriends would call on him if they could. That and Nahiri's whereabouts might be covered in Shadows.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure Liliana is joining that dumb group. Maybe not in Oath, but she's showing up sooner or later, despite the fact that Sorin explicitly makes more sense as the Black Planeswalker in that group.

I feel like they're setting up for Liliana to die or undergo a large shift in character/base color, but that's probably reading much further into UR stories than is sane or reasonable. Maybe she will pop up in Innistrad 2?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

C-Euro posted:

I feel like they're setting up for Liliana to die or undergo a large shift in character/base color, but that's probably reading much further into UR stories than is sane or reasonable. Maybe she will pop up in Innistrad 2?

It sounds like all of them are in everything now.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Jace needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time travel magic. Whenever Jace is's not in a story, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Jace"?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I think Lili will show up just because IIRC she has unfinished business with Grizzlebees.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

These last few pages have made me thankful that I know nothing about the mtg storyline, and intend to keep it that way.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

I think Lili will show up just because IIRC she has unfinished business with Grizzlebees.

Didn't she literally leave only a smoking crater and horrified demon onlookers at the Ashmouth

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Didn't she literally leave only a smoking crater and horrified demon onlookers at the Ashmouth

Yeah I'm pretty sure Grizzlebees is dead.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
After reading last weeks Uncharted Realms, I wish now more than ever that that OGW promo art that has Jace, Gideon, Chandra, and Nissa all holding up their hands in solemn poses with their colors of magic glowing ended with a picture of Bobby Nixon doing the same thing, but his hand was flipping the bird

Eikre
May 2, 2009

UberJew posted:

It felt like it fit in pretty well with Sorin specifically on Innistrad

he didn't need to help out at all and got nothing but satisfaction and a sense of fulfillment out of it

Color is an attribute of power, not moral value. White is the color of cooperation, not altruism. Black is the color of sacrifice, not malevolence. Putting a manichaeist spin on the color wheel is simplistic pandering horseshit and totally marginalizes an enormous swath of the game's principal aesthetic. A person doing good things can be a detached loner who yearns to do good at a distance, a sneering bon vivant who lends a hand only because it suits his sense of whimsy, or an ambitious jackass who engages in philanthropy only to expand his loyalty base and personal glory, all without taking a step into white. And while they do seem to equivocate on this all the time, the Powers that Are have come out on numerous occasions saying that the color of people's mana doesn't need to match their hats and they've deliberately authored several prominent counterpoints to that fallacy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I relate perfectly to Jace as I do in fact know everyone around me really is that simple and my real life was Ender's Game before I started going out with a chick literally thousands of years older than me who likes dead bodies.

E: her name is an anagram for "perverted antagonist" so it's like WoTC gets me

E2: Also I am the Constitution of the United States.

:agreed:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

He's dead as gently caress.

Eikre posted:

Color is an attribute of power, not moral value. White is the color of cooperation, not altruism. Black is the color of sacrifice, not malevolence. Putting a manichaeist spin on the color wheel is simplistic pandering horseshit and totally marginalizes an enormous swath of the game's principal aesthetic. A person doing good things can be a detached loner who yearns to do good at a distance, a sneering bon vivant who lends a hand only because it suits his sense of whimsy, or an ambitious jackass who engages in philanthropy only to expand his loyalty base and personal glory, all without taking a step into white. And while they do seem to equivocate on this all the time, the Powers that Are have come out on numerous occasions saying that the color of people's mana doesn't need to match their hats and they've deliberately authored several prominent counterpoints to that fallacy.

The only time we ever got a different perspective on Sorin was that chapter recently where Jace found Ugin hanging out in his sanctum doing whatever. Ugin pretty much said that Sorin's actually quite selfish and self-motivated and his desire to stop the Eldrazi is simply due to his long perspective as a super ancient as gently caress vampire - he does stuff for the greater good because in the very long term it benefits him to not have the Eldrazi free to gently caress up every random plane.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 1, 2015

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eikre posted:

I like red because it is fire

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

Ugin pretty much said that Sorin's actually quite selfish and self-motivated and his desire to stop the Eldrazi is simply due to his long perspective as a super ancient as gently caress vampire - he does stuff for the greater good because in the very long term it benefits him to not have the Eldrazi free to gently caress up every random plane.
I really like that as a motivation, though. "Of course I'll help you seal the reality-eating horrors up! I like to continue existing after all."

I particularly enjoy when they have him hate the storyline/other involved characters as much as I do. It's very relatable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

I really like that as a motivation, though. "Of course I'll help you seal the reality-eating horrors up! I like to continue existing after all."

I particularly enjoy when they have him hate the storyline/other involved characters as much as I do. It's very relatable.

Sorin is actually the Magic Community's Collected Self-Insertion

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The color wheel is exactly what the game designers and writers need it to be at any given time.

Here is a white card with a 1BB cost.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Eikre posted:

:lol:

e:fb

Ramos posted:

The color wheel is exactly what the game designers and writers need it to be at any given time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

I like how this doesn't set Maro off, but this does:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Well one is supporting the flavor and a mechanical theme of the set while the other is just a random mythic in a core set. Legends also tend to get more wiggle room in general. It's a color bend for sure, but I don't think it's as big of a gotcha as you think it is.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
That said while I was mostly laughing at the idea that the color wheel has any inherent value that must be arduously defended at all costs I was also laughing at the idea that Sorin setting up a heirarchal theocratic social structure headed by an unchanging immortal somehow isn't white when it has always been the color of both dictatorships and theocracy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Every colour should have (limited) access to everything anyways, it makes the game more interesting

Eikre
May 2, 2009

UberJew posted:

That said while I was mostly laughing at the idea that the color wheel has any inherent value that must be arduously defended at all costs I was also laughing at the idea that Sorin setting up a heirarchal theocratic social structure headed by an unchanging immortal somehow isn't white when it has always been the color of both dictatorships and theocracy

The color wheel is Cool and Good, and your second counterpoint is valid.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Every colour should have (limited) access to everything anyways, it makes the game more interesting

Example, Mind Bomb. Very flavorful, but bad.

I wish Blue had more really lovely kill spells, actually.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i love the smell of the color pie argument in the morning. it smells like dogmatism.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Example, Mind Bomb. Very flavorful, but bad.

I wish Blue had more really lovely kill spells, actually.

Beast Within and Harmonize are what all off colour effects should strive for

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

black potus posted:

i love the smell of the color pie argument in the morning. it smells like dogmatism.

Hehe yup. It is important for any game design for factions / sides / teams to have identity. If black is the color that gets flying death touch then Hornet queen shouldn't exist. It could have been green or black but it shouldn't be available to both.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Beast Within and Harmonize are what all off colour effects should strive for

Green really does have the best off color poo poo.

Shame one of those is from Planar Chaos and the other from New Phyrexia, The "Way Too 'Black' " set.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think most white/black cards could be changed from one to the other with a flavour alteration and no-one would really notice

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
BEFORE THE PYROMASTER
A play in one act, by black potus

Maro (at his dining table, ready for dessert): Ah! Color pie! My favorite. (he eats) Blue counterspells! White lifelink! Black removal! Green fatties! (abruptly stops, then does a dramatic spit take and throws the plate on the floor) WHAT'S THIS? RED CARD ADVANTAGE?!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Drana could easily be a white card, a green card, or a black card with that effect. White certainly has the most of those type of effects though. Red, r/g, and r/g hybrid have also had similar effects but in much smaller numbers.

But as a returning legendary black creature I am completely fine that she is still mono black.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Does Shaman of the Great Hunt count as mono red for that effect or are we counting it as Temur colors for the sake of its ability?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

Does Shaman of the Great Hunt count as mono red for that effect or are we counting it as Temur colors for the sake of its ability?

It's a Red creature with a Blue/Green ability. It's technically mono-colored unless you're playing Commander.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ramos posted:

:agreed:
We really need a pic similar to that of batman being all nine alignments. (Plz no Jace)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It's almost as though thinking in terms of the flavor of 'what does a vampire do' or 'what does a [light] priest do' gives rise to cooler outcomes than a hidebound allegiance to the color pie, even if said outcome still falls within the color pie slices in 90% of cases.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

JerryLee posted:

It's almost as though thinking in terms of the flavor of 'what does a vampire do' or 'what does a [light] priest do' gives rise to cooler outcomes than a hidebound allegiance to the color pie, even if said outcome still falls within the color pie slices in 90% of cases.

agreed, killer bees are cool

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

agreed, killer bees are cool

What makes killer bees green, though? While green does have spiders, which sometimes have deathtouch, I'm pretty sure deathtouch insects have been way more of a black thing over the course of the game. Black certainly gets all the scorpions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Lord of Hats posted:

What makes killer bees green, though? While green does have spiders, which sometimes have deathtouch, I'm pretty sure deathtouch insects have been way more of a black thing over the course of the game. Black certainly gets all the scorpions.

If there's a card named "King of the Beasts" I would assume that card would be green since it fits in green's focus on nature. Hornet Queen is the master of all the hornets, which I feel is green. Also it being green is good for the cube ramp deck, and reanimator doesn't care what color it is, so it's better for the game's best format that Hornet Queen is green.

• Locked thread