Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I have a lot of poo poo not load under Purify. Like ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Yeah, I just deleted Purify and switched to another one because it would block random stuff (like Microsoft's URL shorteners) and wouldn't let me whitelist anything. I don't think I'd recommend it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's a simple two player game that doesn't run like poo poo on an iPhone 4 (yeah I know) that i can play with someone?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Strategery

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's a simple two player game that doesn't run like poo poo on an iPhone 4 (yeah I know) that i can play with someone?

Olo

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I trailed between Spotify, Apple Music and Google Music and Spotify won. Deal breaker was scrobbling.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

At the risk of sounding like an old man, does Spotify's lack of proper library management make it a non-starter for anyone else? I've come to realize over the last year that listening to a full album is apparently a rare thing now?
With Rdio shutting down, anyone with a library they either want to manage or want to browse efficiently, Play Music is just about the only service left that isn't total rear end. It also has Songza radio integration, which is awesome and superior to Pandora in almost every way.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

sleepwalkers posted:

At the risk of sounding like an old man, does Spotify's lack of proper library management make it a non-starter for anyone else? I've come to realize over the last year that listening to a full album is apparently a rare thing now?

You can still listen to a full album on Spotify. There's also the "Your Music" section of spotify which afaict is exactly the same as a convential music library. What do you define as "proper library management"?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I use Spotify and listen to full albums all the time and have no idea how people find it difficult to do.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

maduin posted:

I use Spotify and listen to full albums all the time and have no idea how people find it difficult to do.

Same for me, though I moved back to iTunes this weekend to give my Apple Music free trial a shot. Pretty comparable so far, though the interface in iTunes is loving horrible. A tiny hidden hover-menu to add an album without viewing the whole thing at once, and half the time the context menu hover image is hidden or overlapped by something. Also iTunes will scroll my artists sidebar down about 15% everytime I love an item. Incredibly annoying.

Took some time to match my followed artists and saved music, as well as uploading a few of my own albums that iTunes lacked, which is more than I expected. On the whole, Spotify and iTunes are probably 90% the same in terms of licensed music and artists, but some of the things one or the other are missing are loving weird. iTunes really surprised me with a few obvious things missing that Spotify had, and vice-versa.

Right now, Spotify is a better bet for me because of web accessibility, social features like collaborative playlists, easier to use interface. But, I'm gonna try Apple Music for the 90 days; it has a few really nice things going for it. Siri is massive for me, much easier to upload your own music than on Spotify making it easier for me to have a complete library, and no hard limit that I'm on saved songs. Spotify caps users at 10,000 songs, but you can get around it with playlists, I am not aware of Apple Music limiting anything.

Figured people might be considering alternatives right now, especially with Rdio going under. I used Google Music years and years ago right when it launched and thought it was pretty great that I could store all my music elsewhere, but it took a long, long time to upload everything, and the apps available at the time were terrible. Haven't looked at it since, but I know it's been improved.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How to listen to a full album in Spotify:

1) Find the album
2) Tap the first song

Done

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
In fact, having been a subscriber to Apple Music/Spotify/Play Music at one point or another, I would say the way they approach the library UI is just about identical. All of them have a separate panel of 'your music' where you can add albums or individual songs to.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Spotify only being $5 (student) in contrast to AM's $10 wasn't even the biggest reason for me leaving. It's like we forget that Apple Music is just a reimagining of Beats Music, a platform all of us avoided.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Spotify only being $5 (student) in contrast to AM's $10 wasn't even the biggest reason for me leaving. It's like we forget that Apple Music is just a reimagining of Beats Music, a platform all of us avoided.

The price points are interesting. Apple Music, at $15 for my whole family, is the best deal for me. If I were a student, $5 for Spotify would be appealing.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Duckman2008 posted:

Deal breaker was scrobbling.

You're not the only one who says this, and I seriously don't understand it. Catalogue is way more important to me, and thus, Google wins hands down. The ability to upload 50,000 of your own songs to fill in the gaps in the catalogue is immensely important to me.

I guess I enjoy listening to music more than I enjoy keeping lists of what I've listened to :shrug:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I started with the whole "streaming" thing with Apple Music, but I didn't like that I couldn't really personalize radio stations, so I tried Spotify and am quite happy with it. My only problem is that it does weird things to Korean characters sometimes. If it would show all of my own music as the actual Korean language as opposed to weird unicode characters I would be much happier. So for now I still use the actual music.app for the other music I own.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

XBenedict posted:

You're not the only one who says this, and I seriously don't understand it. Catalogue is way more important to me, and thus, Google wins hands down. The ability to upload 50,000 of your own songs to fill in the gaps in the catalogue is immensely important to me.

I guess I enjoy listening to music more than I enjoy keeping lists of what I've listened to :shrug:

gMusic 2: a Music Player for Google by IIS
https://appsto.re/us/TdLpQ.i has last.fm support, and that ability that is immensely important to you is useless to anyone who doesn't have more than 20k songs.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Here's a question about an app that probably doesn't exist:

I'm looking for an app that would be able to download zip files and extract them directly to a folder that the app contains. I also need to make sure it'd let me download MP3 files and open them and play them within the app. Additionally, it be cool if you have some sort of organizational tools or way to edit files, edit album names, move files around etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd be very surprised if GoodReader doesn't do all that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Fair warning for anyone who uses Downcast. Newest update completely breaks playback. Hold off on updating it until he fixes it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

I'm looking for an app that would be able to download zip files and extract them directly to a folder that the app contains.
A lot of the file management apps should handle that fine, fairly sure both GoodReader and Documents can at least.

quote:

I also need to make sure it'd let me download MP3 files and open them and play them within the app.
Documents can. I forget about GR...but it probably can (if nothing else through the system standard quick look view).

quote:

Additionally, it be cool if you have some sort of organizational tools or way to edit files, edit album names, move files around etc.
If you mean anything to do with the MP3 tags probably not (in those apps), but anything as far as the basic files (file naming, folders, moving, etc) is fine.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Djarum posted:

Fair warning for anyone who uses Downcast. Newest update completely breaks playback. Hold off on updating it until he fixes it.

Works for me? I updated before seeing this and haven't seen an issue yet. What problems are you seeing?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

fordan posted:

Works for me? I updated before seeing this and haven't seen an issue yet. What problems are you seeing?

Nothing will playback at all. It is pretty widespread too, a ton of people on Twitter are having the same problem.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

A lot of the file management apps should handle that fine, fairly sure both GoodReader and Documents can at least.

Documents can. I forget about GR...but it probably can (if nothing else through the system standard quick look view).

If you mean anything to do with the MP3 tags probably not (in those apps), but anything as far as the basic files (file naming, folders, moving, etc) is fine.

The answer is that GR can do these things. I listen to podcasts through it sometimes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Djarum posted:

Nothing will playback at all. It is pretty widespread too, a ton of people on Twitter are having the same problem.
Huh, I'm glad it didn't happen to me then. I updated and I'm listening to a podcast on it just fine now and have been for a while.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Slash posted:

You can still listen to a full album on Spotify. There's also the "Your Music" section of spotify which afaict is exactly the same as a convential music library. What do you define as "proper library management"?

It's really not the same, considering how Rdio, Play Music, or iTunes handle library management.
Maybe it's changed a bit in the last year, but when I tap on an artist in my library, on desktop I'm presented with a giant list of songs in seemingly random order. It's better on mobile now, since it at least has headers separating the albums; the desktop client just presents a giant, undifferentiated list of songs. I could use album view, but then I'm still presented with the problem of having to browse a massive list to get to what I want.
With how I listen to music, it led to me having to browse 200+ item long lists too often for me to want to keep using it when there are other services that do libraries better. Spotify seems clearly set up to present playlists/radio first, which is what I use the least. I was just wondering if I'm the weird one who just wants to easily navigate to a single album and listen, since it seems like most people are turning to radio instead.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just search the album name and tap on the 1st song :confused:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Huh, I'm glad it didn't happen to me then. I updated and I'm listening to a podcast on it just fine now and have been for a while.

A ton of people have been having problems in general since he added the video support and the redesign. But this is really bad and widespread. If it is working for you I'd probably stay put for a bit until the teething problems work themselves out.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just search the album name and tap on the 1st song :confused:

I mean, it's not a huge deal, but I don't really like using search to find music. That approach trivializes having a library in the first place; I often find myself wanting to listen to an artist but not having an album in mind.
For my use, I might as well use a service that organizes music the way I've been used to iTunes doing it for the last decade considering it's still the way I like to browse my music. No need for me to stick with Spotify if it doesn't emphasize what I use a music app for.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not, I already posted this in the iPad thread. Do the automatic "time to leave" alerts in IOS9 only work on the icloud calendars? I just got an Amazon Echo and it only syncs with google calendars and so I switched all my events over to my google calendar and it stopped giving me the automatic alerts that take into account traffic and everything. As far as I can tell everything is setup the same.

edit: Earlier I tried a test and made two events 5 minutes apart in iCalendar - one using the default icloud Home calendar and one using my Google calendar. The icloud one alerted me 25 minutes beforehand, like it should, and the google one was silent. Any ideas?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What… the… gently caress

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

sleepwalkers posted:

I mean, it's not a huge deal, but I don't really like using search to find music. That approach trivializes having a library in the first place; I often find myself wanting to listen to an artist but not having an album in mind.
For my use, I might as well use a service that organizes music the way I've been used to iTunes doing it for the last decade considering it's still the way I like to browse my music. No need for me to stick with Spotify if it doesn't emphasize what I use a music app for.

You can search by artist in Spotify too? It's always showed a list of albums for me... That's mainly how I used it for the 6 months or so I had it. Maybe it's changed in the last 4 months I haven't been using it? That would be extremely odd though. Either way, no reason to talk you into using something you don't like.

Stupid question that you may have already addressed; are you using paid or free Spotify? Only the desktop app allows full albums, with ads, on free.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I'm not current a Spotify subscriber, but on the iOS app right now:

1) Click the hamburger menu
2) Click 'Your Music'
3) Click 'Artists'. Here lies a list of artists you have added.
5) Click an artist. Here lies a list of albums recorded by the artist

This functionality I also recall from the days I did subscribe to Spotify, which was at the least a couple years ago.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 2, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I remember there being a list of the most popular songs at the top of artist pages and then albums below that or something. Been a while since I've really used it though so who knows.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not, I already posted this in the iPad thread. Do the automatic "time to leave" alerts in IOS9 only work on the icloud calendars? I just got an Amazon Echo and it only syncs with google calendars and so I switched all my events over to my google calendar and it stopped giving me the automatic alerts that take into account traffic and everything. As far as I can tell everything is setup the same.

edit: Earlier I tried a test and made two events 5 minutes apart in iCalendar - one using the default icloud Home calendar and one using my Google calendar. The icloud one alerted me 25 minutes beforehand, like it should, and the google one was silent. Any ideas?

Nevermind I got it working, I had to remove my gmail account from my phone/tablet and re-add it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

101 posted:

What… the… gently caress

"Ah poo poo, huge bug in 4.1, can we pull it?"
"No."
"How can we get people to stop buying it while we wait for the patch to get approved?"
"I have an idea."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

With Rdio shutting down, anyone with a library they either want to manage or want to browse efficiently, Play Music is just about the only service left that isn't total rear end. It also has Songza radio integration, which is awesome and superior to Pandora in almost every way.

I know it was already answered that Spotify does the function, honestly the point stands that RDio was more album focused than any of the others. But it's not like there's a house, RDio is dead. For me Spotify is the next best one out of the 3. Oh well.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

101 posted:

What… the… gently caress

could be trying to game people looking for sales

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

"Ah poo poo, huge bug in 4.1, can we pull it?"
"No."
"How can we get people to stop buying it while we wait for the patch to get approved?"
"I have an idea."

Yeah this is probably what it was. Should have set it insanely high though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The app is Pushpin btw