Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

We will kill every one of them until they’re so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact.
Wow, you're a real loving charmer. Kindly gently caress off, and take your bigotry with you.

computer parts posted:

Can you prove that? Specific examples, comparing what Prestor John said with historical notes about the Catholic system of yesteryear.
Proof would require the kind of involved comparative empirical study that would take years to complete. I'm not sure that has been carried out by anyone else, nor am I able to mount such an exercise on my own. Though if I had proof, this wouldn't be a matter of debate or discussion, it would be a matter of accepting established fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Is this thread about not liking a religion or not liking brown people, because one of those two things is completely fair.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rakosi posted:

Is this thread about not liking a religion or not liking brown people, because one of those two things is completely fair.

there's nothing fair about not liking people based on the color of their skin

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I dunno, argyria is a pretty clear indicator of libertarianism.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Have we finally figured out why the Muselmann deserves everything he has coming to him in this thread about islamophobia.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Have we finally figured out why the Muselmann deserves everything he has coming to him in this thread about islamophobia.

the muselmann drinks too much coffee

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just wanted to say thanks to Mandy Thompson and Hellsing for trying to give the thread some structure and asking nice questions. We don't hear enough compliments and I think you guys both seem reasonable.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Islamophobia; the fear & despise for a religion that (like almost all religions) was man made to empower an warmongering elite, resulting in tens of millions of deaths, an incalculable loss of knowledge, causing a massive moral decay throughout human history until today.

Sounds completely reasonable to me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Yggdrassil posted:

Islamophobia; the fear & despise for a religion that (like almost all religions) was man made to empower an warmongering elite, resulting in tens of millions of deaths, an incalculable loss of knowledge, causing a massive moral decay throughout human history until today.

Not exactly loss of knowledge considering various interlocking factors in the "Near East" circa the Rise of Islam.

The problem is that its never aimed at warmongering elites though. It never is.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Personally I believe that if the ruling elite of Saudi Arabia were to convert to Christianity en masse overnight, they would immediately read the passages of the Bible that explain how woman should actually be allowed to drive cars and that throwing gays off buildings is not actually part of God's grand scheme. This fuels my righteous attacks on specifically Islam.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Yggdrassil posted:

This is wilfully stupid. Islamophobia is clearly about the hatred of Muslims.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Hong XiuQuan posted:

This is wilfully stupid. Islamophobia is clearly about the hatred of Muslims.

Islamophobia
ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/
noun
dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

Both are valid.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Yggdrassil posted:

Islamophobia
ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/
noun
dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

Both are valid.

Cool. Good luck defining yourself as an Islamophobe with creating the assumption that you hate Muslims.

Here's some Islamophobia: https://www.facebook.com/themapstories/videos/1659787927639917/

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 30, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yggdrassil posted:

Islamophobia
ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/
noun

Both are valid.

What has Indonesia done to you?

You don't identify as an Islamophobe if your point is that religion is a harmful retrograde force, because Islamophobia is about a hell of a lot more than Islam. Sikhs are attacked and killed despite being not Muslim, but these attacks are still inspired by Islamophobia because Sikhs resemble the stereotypical views of an Islamic fundamentalist: turban, long beard, etc.

You don't say Islamophobia is reasonable unless you condone the killing of people who aren't even Islamic because of fear and ignorance.

It all comes back to fear and ignorance.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

Al Qaeda's declaration of war against the United States was explicitly grounded in Islamic religious tradition, specifically a hadith in which the Prophet supposedly banned infidels from the Arabian Peninsula. The stationing of American troops in Saudi Arabia was seen as a violation by the Saudi monarchy of that religious duty.

But since the real answer makes you look like foolish, I'm guessing you had a different (and incorrect) answer in mind.

Yes, if by 'different (and incorrect)' you mean exactly what bin Laden himself literally wrote. While he does indeed mention American military bases in Saudi Arabia defiling the sanctuary of the place, he also lists many other reasons, most of them referring to American imperialism (with heavy doses of anti-Semitism abound) starting first and foremost with the Israel/Palestine situation and America's contributions to that. He also cites the oil price and America's immunity from punishment for war crimes, amongst other things.

More to the point, plenty of Islamic scholars say such a Hadith is apocryphal as it directly contradicts Muhammed's actions in life, and even more to the point, it was supposedly spoken by Muhammed on his death bed, but Abu Bakr, despite doing everything else Muhammed had preached in life, did nothing to expel non-Muslims from the Arabian Peninsula, and in fact renegotiated treaties with non-Muslims.

Also more comically you say the Saudi monarchy saw the American troops as a problem when in fact an extremist scholar, bin Baz, who believed that same Hadith you quoted was jailed by the Saudi King for issuing a Fatwa enforcing it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You are pretty dedicated to spreading the word of a terrorist. You know, spreading terrorist propaganda makes you a terrorist in a way.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baloogan posted:

You are pretty dedicated to spreading the word of a terrorist. You know, spreading terrorist propaganda makes you a terrorist in a way.

Everyone knows the way to solve a problem is to murder random unrelated civilians, so why haven't we stopped Islamist terrorism by bombing Medicins Sans Frontiers?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Baloogan posted:

But enough about anyone quoting your posting.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I think one of the biggest problems Islam has with regard to integration into Western culture is it's insistence on not changing itself with regard to the culture it exists in. For example, why does an American born Muslim have to learn and speak in Arabic whenever possible? Why do they insist on perform group prayers multiple times every day when no other religion in America does that more than maybe once or twice a week? I don't find it difficult at all to see why people might be wary of such a religion.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
http://survation.com/new-polling-of-british-muslims/

How do Islamic apologists and the perpetuators of the "tiny minority" myth feel about this? nearly 1/4 UK Muslims have some degree of sympathy for ISIS fighters.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Sharzak posted:

How do Islamic apologists and the perpetuators of the "tiny minority" myth feel about this? nearly 1/4 UK Muslims have some degree of sympathy for ISIS fighters.

The poll was poorly designed to suck in retards like you.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was just about to post this article from the perspective of a muslim. The survey above is taken apart in links in the article.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/01/muslim-woman-britain-paris-attacks

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sharzak posted:

"i have sympathy for young british muslims who leave the UK to join syrian fighters" is not nearly the same question as "i have sympathy for ISIS fighters". please be honest

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sharzak posted:

Did you read the text immediately following that which noted that 1/6 UK residents have some degree of sympathy for "ISIS fighters"? It's curious how that seems to have escaped your notice.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You're praying too much: a criticism that looks totally valid coming from Americans

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"i have sympathy for young british muslims who leave the UK to join syrian fighters" is not nearly the same question as "i have sympathy for ISIS fighters". please be honest

It's like when Jeremy Corbyn referred to having talks with our friends in Hamas. It's just the way he talks, but the tabloids were all over him being a Hamas sympathiser.

What gets me is the same people I know in the UK who were in tears over the drowning of that Syrian refugee, are all for bombing Syria, and then when you show them innocent civilians being destroyed, their response is: but at least we're killing ISIS.

I think people's empathy over the Syrian's drowning on there way to the UK was just people following a trend, without actually really caring.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Manic X posted:

I think people's empathy over the Syrian's drowning on there way to the UK was just people following a trend, without actually really caring.

True, and if there is some pretty grisly picture to create moral outrage it's a perfect shitstorm where everyone can feel RightTM for fifteen minutes and then go back to being terrible.

basically,

hits the nail on the head

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What has Indonesia done to you?

You don't identify as an Islamophobe if your point is that religion is a harmful retrograde force, because Islamophobia is about a hell of a lot more than Islam. Sikhs are attacked and killed despite being not Muslim, but these attacks are still inspired by Islamophobia because Sikhs resemble the stereotypical views of an Islamic fundamentalist: turban, long beard, etc.

You don't say Islamophobia is reasonable unless you condone the killing of people who aren't even Islamic because of fear and ignorance.

It all comes back to fear and ignorance.

Is it really like that? I think you are making the same mistake into which many people fall when saying "all muslims are terrorists". Islamophobia still sounds reasonable to me, but it is clear that some Islamophobes have gone clearly mad enough to go around actually hurting people -which is ridiculous, since that same violence is what I fear from Islam (the idea that I'll be subject to violence because I think differently from them).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

Did you read the text immediately following that which noted that 1/6 UK residents have some degree of sympathy for "ISIS fighters"? It's curious how that seems to have escaped your notice.

Bear in mind that 'having sympathy' does not mean agreeing with their views, it can mean 'to feel sorry for' - as in, 'to pity.'

The question is too vague to be meaningful.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Yggdrassil posted:

Is it really like that? I think you are making the same mistake into which many people fall when saying "all muslims are terrorists". Islamophobia still sounds reasonable to me, but it is clear that some Islamophobes have gone clearly mad enough to go around actually hurting people -which is ridiculous, since that same violence is what I fear from Islam (the idea that I'll be subject to violence because I think differently from them).
But then your correct phobia would be of fascism, not Islam. Fascism/ethno supremacism can express itself within any ethnic group. The common factors are anti-intellectualism, xenophobia, militarism and elitism - which leads into anti-liberalism and anti-democracy. Isis has that in spades, but neither it not Islam in general are the sole owners of this kind of disgusting thought.

I think it's important to have a historical outlook on these kind of things, and when you contextualize Isis they, like Le pen, only gain power when there aren't any other options. They are just the pus-oozing cysts that exist on the surface of a more serious infection. They aren't the secret essence of Islam, as much as may they think they are, they're just a bunch of dickheads who got lucky.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Every time conservatives and New Atheists bring up Islam not being a race, I'm reminded of how anti-Muslim activity always seems to get targeted at people who aren't Muslims at all, but are, coincidentally enough, brown-skinned.

But sure, it's not about race, it's just about culture. Obviously.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pussy Cartel posted:

Every time conservatives and New Atheists bring up Islam not being a race, I'm reminded of how anti-Muslim activity always seems to get targeted at people who aren't Muslims at all, but are, coincidentally enough, brown-skinned.

It's kind of like if "Islamophobia" was a dumb word because it's not actually about Islam at all!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Pussy Cartel posted:

I can believe someone like Harris or Dawkins is honestly criticising Islam's religious institutions but given that people are dumb many followers will just treat muslim and brown as interchangeable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pussy Cartel posted:

And as an atheist who criticizes many parts of Islam, this is really frustrating to me as well (also, the fact that criticism of Islam too often takes the form of "hatred toward Muslims" which is nonsense*). The idiots who think Sikhs are Muslims, or that all Muslims believe in violent jihad or in the imposition of severe corporal or capital punishments, and act out on it are terrible, not just because of their bigotry and ignorance, but also because they provide the cover of Islamophobia that many Muslims and non-Muslims alike use to avoid addressing actual, cogent criticism of Islamic religion and practice.

* If you believe that Islam, either by scripture or as it is practiced, has many problematic elements, then you must regard the average Muslim as a victim of the bad parts of their religion, not as an enemy, in the absence of any other data.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PT6A posted:

And as an atheist who criticizes many parts of Islam, this is really frustrating to me as well

That's the whole point behind the term Islamophobia. It achieves two objectives:
1. Any criticism of Islam, for any reason, is racist; therefore you cannot criticize Islam. Feel free to criticize anything you want except Islam which is a sacred cow.
2. Muslims are reduced to their religion and are denied any other identity. It doesn't matter if they're actually atheist or whatever, they're Muslims and therefore they submit to Islam.

Things would be better if racism was called racism; but it has to be called Islamophobia now so as to make Islam the real victim. Not people, not humans, but Islam, an abstraction, is the victim here.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

It's kind of like if "Islamophobia" was a dumb word because it's not actually about Islam at all!

i'm not sure you get what the "islam" in "islamophobia" means

e: ignorant white people being bad at identifying muslims and also being generally scared of arabic dress and brown skin doesn't invalidate fear of islam as well, they often all occur together under general 'xenophobia'

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 2, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

i'm not sure you get what the "islam" in "islamophobia" means

If Islam doesn't mean Islam, then maybe you should take the word that it actually means, and build your -ophobia from that actual word? Food for thought.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The utility of the term "Islamophobia" is that it specifies a particular form of racism, i.e. the irrational demonization of Muslims, and thus helps focus our attention on the particular complex of forces behind this demonization, i.e. the politicians, media and private individuals who benefit from Islamophobia.

It's the same reason that calling certain anti-gay actions or terms "homophobic" is more illuminating than merely calling them "prejudiced". Homophobia is obviously a kind of prejudice but when we specify that it's homophobia that allows you to focus directly at how particular cultural norms or institutions encouraged this behavior. If there's a local preacher who keeps emphasizing that all gays are child molesters, for instance, and then someone from that preacher's congregation proceeds to attack someone as they exit a gay bar, then it should be clear that there's more going on here than mere "prejudice".

Likewise, if we want to understand why there's such a particular emphasis on the danger of sharia law being imposed in America, whereas concerns about Mormons, Catholics, Scientologists, etc. are seemingly quite muted, then it might be helpful to use the label "Islamophobia" rather than just "racism" because the term "Islamophobia" helps direct our attention toward the behavior of the specific causes of prejudice.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

If Islam doesn't mean Islam, then maybe you should take the word that it actually means, and build your -ophobia from that actual word? Food for thought.

the islam in islamobphobia does mean islam though. you contended that americans are not actually scared of muslims, but of ethnic people. you failed to consider that americans are simultaneously afraid of both muslims and ethnic people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Mulva posted:

I think one of the biggest problems Islam has with regard to integration into Western culture is it's insistence on not changing itself with regard to the culture it exists in. For example, why does an American born Muslim have to learn and speak in Arabic whenever possible? Why do they insist on perform group prayers multiple times every day when no other religion in America does that more than maybe once or twice a week? I don't find it difficult at all to see why people might be wary of such a religion.

Arabic is considered essential for a Muslim to learn because the Quran was written in Arabic, and any translation will by necessity involve loss of meaning and linguistic context that will warp your understanding. Just look at the history of bible translations if you don't believe that's true.

• Locked thread