Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

Is Force and Destiny officially out now?

Its been out for several months now; since sometime in July, if I remember correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

jivjov posted:

Its been out for several months now; since sometime in July, if I remember correctly

Well, I am out of the loop. Was it a good improvement over the beta?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

Well, I am out of the loop. Was it a good improvement over the beta?

After all the beta errata updates, the Core book really didn't have that many differences from the beta over more fluff text and more art.

It's a great book all around though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Well, that's good then. I remember morality being finicky during my beta experience, did it get better?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

Well, that's good then. I remember morality being finicky during my beta experience, did it get better?

No more finicky than Obligation or Duty, really. Track Conflict as you go, make a roll at the end of the session to affect morality. I don't think that system changed much at all during the beta.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Unrelated to any of the last few pages, but a great Jedi vs Sith discussion:

http://www.tickld.com/x/jaw/we-all-...b349e2a4f81326d

I normally hate these sorts of "You think you know some poo poo?" image things, but this one is actually good.

Gave me an idea to run a Roll20 Sith game where you're just trying to avoid oppression by the Jedi while somehow making a difference in the Galaxy, but I doubt there'd be any takers.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fuzz posted:

I normally hate these sorts of "You think you know some poo poo?" image things, but this one is actually good.

Gave me an idea to run a Roll20 Sith game where you're just trying to avoid oppression by the Jedi while somehow making a difference in the Galaxy, but I doubt there'd be any takers.

Sounds neat but you're outside my time zone :(

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Fuzz posted:

That is interesting and does go deep into philosophy but the author is wrong about a couple of points. The Jedi except death as an integral part of life and every one dies (see Revenge of the Sith novelisation which is pretty good) and also the attempted Jedi coup might well of been extra-judicial but the author missed out that Palpatine had deliberately caused and extended the Clone Wars and all the death that came with it. The coup may of been legally wrong but morally it was right to remove Palpatine from power by force as Palpatine had committed treason and was too powerful to bring to trial by other means.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fuzz posted:

It's ok, and uses a lot of words to present the idea that the Jedi are not the good guys . . . which the entire prequel series does over and over again, from The Phantom Menace onward.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone complied a master index for this system? I love that each career book comes with more rules and subsystems...but it makes looking things up a pain in the rear end. It would be nice if there was a site or document that could just tell me "ah yes, the detailed hyperspace travel rules are in Fly Casual"

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

homullus posted:

It's ok, and uses a lot of words to present the idea that the Jedi are not the good guys . . . which the entire prequel series does over and over again, from The Phantom Menace onward.

It's just another lovely evil-fetishising list in a fandom that's overflowing already with people trying to explain that the Rebels are terrorists trying to undermine a peaceful, orderly galaxy.

Yes, those poor, poor oppressed Sith just wanted to pratice their "Murder, slavery and tyranny are justified because might make right" philosophy in peace! That and well, this thing choose to interpret things like the Code in the most absolutist way. Doesn't mean it's not a plotpoint that Prequel Jedi are pretty haughty and arrogants, but that kind of crap just annoys me.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Well OBVIOUSLY the sith and jedi are bad and only the noble, clever mandalorians are morally correct and good

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm running the force and destiny back of the book adventure tonight for my store's Encounters event. Are there any hiccups or notes I should have to change up any problems it might have

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Iceclaw posted:

It's just another lovely evil-fetishising list in a fandom that's overflowing already with people trying to explain that the Rebels are terrorists trying to undermine a peaceful, orderly galaxy.
I think that plenty of preteen children watching the prequels already grasp what these guys think is a mindblowing revelation.

The main thing I find interesting about the Sith is that they preach a philosophy of self-mastery and survival of the fittest, but in practice, they're obsessed with building superweapons that blow up whole planets. That's not exactly Darwinian. I'm not sure if that was deliberate on Lucas' part or if it arose out of laziness.

By the by, do any of you actually try to rationalize things like The Force Unleashed or similar Expanded Universe stuff in regard to the game? I think it's better off just ignored. (That is, Jedi who can defeat whole armies singlehandedly.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 2, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Well. Planet destroying super weapons are a rather extreme means of applying artificial selection.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I read the Chuck Wendig novel Star Wars: Aftermath which bounces back and forth between the perspectives of a typical Star Warsian protagonist group and an Imperial Officer who's coming to terms with the fact that the Rebel Alliance has just kicked the poo poo out of the Empire, and in a moment of self-reflection she admits that it's no loving wonder that everyone views the Empire as the "bad guys" of the conflict instead of an orderly government beset by nefarious terrorists when they're going around building planet-destroying superweapons and naming them Death Stars,, like c'mon here.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

By the by, do any of you actually try to rationalize things like The Force Unleashed or similar Expanded Universe stuff in regard to the game? I think it's better off just ignored. (That is, Jedi who can defeat whole armies singlehandedly.)

I ignore everything that I think is dumb, which is a lot of it. It's handy to let people look up planets and species in Wookieepedia, though, as things their characters would probably know.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Halloween Jack posted:

I've just always used the same logic the old continuity folks did: Game plots were canon, game mechanics were not. Kyle Katarn stole (parts of) the Death Star Plans, but he didn't kill 450 stormtroopers by himself to do it. Starkiller was a gifted force user, but didn't regularly go around tearing apart buildings with is mind.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I read the Chuck Wendig novel Star Wars: Aftermath which bounces back and forth between the perspectives of a typical Star Warsian protagonist group and an Imperial Officer who's coming to terms with the fact that the Rebel Alliance has just kicked the poo poo out of the Empire, and in a moment of self-reflection she admits that it's no loving wonder that everyone views the Empire as the "bad guys" of the conflict instead of an orderly government beset by nefarious terrorists when they're going around building planet-destroying superweapons and naming them Death Stars,, like c'mon here.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

jivjov posted:

I've just always used the same logic the old continuity folks did: Game plots were canon, game mechanics were not. Kyle Katarn stole (parts of) the Death Star Plans, but he didn't kill 450 stormtroopers by himself to do it. Starkiller was a gifted force user, but didn't regularly go around tearing apart buildings with is mind.

When I GM i do the same, the films/books/games are all retellings of the what happens and will be biased.

Kai Tave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's Are We The Baddies, isn't it? Isn't it!

jivjov posted:

That's a really good angle to take on it, I think. Even then, though, I must ignore dumb EU stuff like "Mace Windu defeated an entire army of super-droids by himself." I get the sense that every writer who gets their hands on the EU gets to make their protagonist the Best Ever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Halloween Jack posted:

It's Are We The Baddies, isn't it? Isn't it!

That's a really good angle to take on it, I think. Even then, though, I must ignore dumb EU stuff like "Mace Windu defeated an entire army of super-droids by himself." I get the sense that every writer who gets their hands on the EU gets to make their protagonist the Best Ever.

The clone wars microseries was incredibly stylized, yeah. The Mace Windu episode in particular has a built in "unreliable narrator" character too.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

jivjov posted:

Has anyone complied a master index for this system? I love that each career book comes with more rules and subsystems...but it makes looking things up a pain in the rear end. It would be nice if there was a site or document that could just tell me "ah yes, the detailed hyperspace travel rules are in Fly Casual"

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/

This mostly pertains to things that are not rules subsystems, but it's useful nonetheless.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

jivjov posted:

If believing that Katarn did in fact slaughter Stormtroopers by the hundreds, and punched a Krayt Dragon to death is wrong I don't wanna be right. :colbert:
Anyway, that's my angle as well (though TFU was at least consistant in that every force user was batshit overpowered, even padawans. The Force was a joy to use there).

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
How well do edge of the empire and age of rebellion classes balance out?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ShineDog posted:

My table game is a mixed party from both games (our group started pretty much right after AoR came out) and we haven't had any balance issues between them. Generally speaking my AoR characters do a bit more combat damage and my EotE characters excel a bit more in social situations, but that's not a hard and fast rule by any means.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I think my main issue with this explanation is that it ignores how the Sith are always portrayed as black and white villains. As in, how they enslave, murder, genocide, etc. when they had their own empire and how blatantly evil they are whenever they appear. There really isn't any good sith portrayed.

Though, I suppose one could argue that their philosophy isn't the only thing to blame since I swear there is a Legends story where a Jedi tries to learn the Dark side to better the Jedi's understanding of the force, does so because he believes he won't be corrupted by it, takes all the measures not to...and ends up corrupted regardless. Of course, that is Legends.

I suppose the Sith Empire stuff is also Legends.

Meh.

It's pretty clear that the movies want Sith to be evil-bad and Jedi to be good, but hypocritical and in need of renaissance,

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

ShineDog posted:

Edge classes tend to be a bit more diverse with skills and talents while Age classes are more focused on the one thing the class is about.

Both are balanced with each over but are different. The Colonist: Doctor is a better long term healer while the Soldier: Medic is better at keeping people standing.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Is there a solid way to make a soldier/slicer type? I'm consider bringing some characters over from another system for a trial and one of them is a soldier who hacks and rewires, in the vein of the "run a bypass" guy from aliens.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

ShineDog posted:

Is there a solid way to make a soldier/slicer type? I'm consider bringing some characters over from another system for a trial and one of them is a soldier who hacks and rewires, in the vein of the "run a bypass" guy from aliens.

Start off as a Soldier than take a cross class specialization in slicer. Or start as a spy/slicer or technician/slicer than take the Recruit Universal specialization to get soldiering skill. Or just play Hired Gun/Demolitionist and he gets computers, mechanics and skulduggery.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Covok posted:

I think my main issue with this explanation is that it ignores how the Sith are always portrayed as black and white villains. As in, how they enslave, murder, genocide, etc. when they had their own empire and how blatantly evil they are whenever they appear. There really isn't any good sith portrayed.

Though, I suppose one could argue that their philosophy isn't the only thing to blame since I swear there is a Legends story where a Jedi tries to learn the Dark side to better the Jedi's understanding of the force, does so because he believes he won't be corrupted by it, takes all the measures not to...and ends up corrupted regardless. Of course, that is Legends.

I suppose the Sith Empire stuff is also Legends.

Meh.

It's pretty clear that the movies want Sith to be evil-bad and Jedi to be good, but hypocritical and in need of renaissance,

There was that one Darth mentioned at some point in Legends (I wanna say it was some detail in the Darth Plagueis novel?) who was basically a powerful Sith lord, but not really inherently evil or ambitious. He was content to chill out on his asteroid-turned-home-base with his family, ponder the dark side of the Force, and in the end died a natural death surrounded by loved ones.

Literally the only example I can think of where a Sith isn't depicted as a mustache-twirler, though. Maybe Vergere counts too? And Kreia? That's one thing I really disliked about Legacy -- all of Krayt's Sith had the same boring black-and-red tattoos (even if it did look badass on that Quarren one).

Edit: found it. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Vectivus

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 3, 2015

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Interesting potential cannon plothooks from tonight's Rebels: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Future_of_the_Force

So turns out that the Inquisitors during the Rebellion era were in fact actively hunting for force-sensitive children, either for recruitment or elimination. With the Inquisitors of the episode having names like "Fifth Brother" and "Seventh Sister", one can logically assume that these operations had some levels of success.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Drone posted:

There was that one Darth mentioned at some point in Legends (I wanna say it was some detail in the Darth Plagueis novel?) who was basically a powerful Sith lord, but not really inherently evil or ambitious. He was content to chill out on his asteroid-turned-home-base with his family, ponder the dark side of the Force, and in the end died a natural death surrounded by loved ones.

Literally the only example I can think of where a Sith isn't depicted as a mustache-twirler, though. Maybe Vergere counts too? And Kreia? That's one thing I really disliked about Legacy -- all of Krayt's Sith had the same boring black-and-red tattoos (even if it did look badass on that Quarren one).

Edit: found it. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Vectivus

There are a variety of fairly reasonable sith in SWTOR. It's 90% crazy murderers but there are a number who accept that being a cruel murderer doesn't benefit their position. Then you've got people like Darth Marr and Lana Beniko and a bunch of others who respect and desire strength but probably won't set you on fire just for the fun of it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ShineDog posted:

There are a variety of fairly reasonable sith in SWTOR. It's 90% crazy murderers but there are a number who accept that being a cruel murderer doesn't benefit their position. Then you've got people like Darth Marr and Lana Beniko and a bunch of others who respect and desire strength but probably won't set you on fire just for the fun of it.

Yeah, and if you play a Light Side female Sith Inquisitor, you can have an entire conversation line with your kidnapped Jedi padawan companion about the nature of the Force and what it truly means to be free, in the Sith sense of the word, and how emotions can include love and compassion, which are equally, if not more, powerful than fear and hatred. You actually can win her over by the end and she basically renounces the Jedi code.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jedi are stuck up hipster socialists who think everyone giving up everything would make for a utopian society, and that true happiness is when everyone in the world is peaceful and prosperous, and that human judgement and emotion is the reason why we have never had a perfect society.

Sith are libertarians who think every person should have the ability to rule over others if they have the passion and drive to please the free market master the force.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

susan posted:

Interesting potential cannon plothooks from tonight's Rebels: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Future_of_the_Force

So turns out that the Inquisitors during the Rebellion era were in fact actively hunting for force-sensitive children, either for recruitment or elimination. With the Inquisitors of the episode having names like "Fifth Brother" and "Seventh Sister", one can logically assume that these operations had some levels of success.

From the same episode Ahsoka mentions they are based out of Mustafar, and with the line from season 1 Rebels "Mustafar is where Jedi go to die" it sounds like there may be some combination prison/inquisitor academy there.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/3/special-modifications/

Technician Book announced. Enhanced Slicing and Crafting rules!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yesssssssss

Looking good! Also looks like we'll be getting Besalisk as a species option if the cover is anything to go by. Possible also Lasat, based on the Chopper/Zeb art piece, but that's much more of a maybe.

And now we're just waiting on the Bounty Hunter book to "complete" the EotE line.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

KittyEmpress posted:

Jedi are stuck up hipster socialists who think everyone giving up everything would make for a utopian society, and that true happiness is when everyone in the world is peaceful and prosperous, and that human judgement and emotion is the reason why we have never had a perfect society.

Sith are libertarians who think every person should have the ability to rule over others if they have the passion and drive to please the free market master the force.

Of all the things George Lucas made a hash out of in the prequels I think I'm most irritated by what he did with the Jedi, going from the original trilogy where we know everything we really need to...that they were an order of cool dudes with laser swords who were guardians of peace and justice until the Empire hosed everything up...to something out of somebody's "extremely clever" fanfic where they're taking kids away from their parents and forbidding people from falling in love because SEE THEY'RE NOT REALLY THAT GOOD AFTER ALL makes u think

And I'm most irritated by it because so many other people making Star Wars stuff didn't look at it and go "man this is dumb" but instead went "haha yes, now I have the perfect excuse for writing a story about how the Dark Side is actually all about freedom and knowledge and the Sith have the right idea, also the Jedi all suck and are dumb."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Of all the things George Lucas made a hash out of in the prequels I think I'm most irritated by what he did with the Jedi, going from the original trilogy where we know everything we really need to...that they were an order of cool dudes with laser swords who were guardians of peace and justice until the Empire hosed everything up...to something out of somebody's "extremely clever" fanfic where they're taking kids away from their parents and forbidding people from falling in love because SEE THEY'RE NOT REALLY THAT GOOD AFTER ALL makes u think

And I'm most irritated by it because so many other people making Star Wars stuff didn't look at it and go "man this is dumb" but instead went "haha yes, now I have the perfect excuse for writing a story about how the Dark Side is actually all about freedom and knowledge and the Sith have the right idea, also the Jedi all suck and are dumb."

How would you go about writing the downfall of an entire order of cool dudes with laser swords (which parry/reflect blaster fire) if they are as flawlessly good as you are imagining they were supposed to be? Like, what in the galaxy is going to stop that?

But really, I think the original trilogy throws enough of a shadow on the Jedi for purposes of continuity. Luke tries to murder his own father twice, and murders his way to rescuing his friends on Tatooine, sending a sail barge full of people to their deaths. Luke calls himself a Jedi despite this, and Palpatine echoes it. Makes u think?