Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Cat Hatter posted:

Some people (meth-addicts mostly) like to steal the covers off light poles to sell as scrap. Unfortunately for the city, the covers are kind of expensive and that's assuming they're even still available so they usually just stay open until someone electrocutes themselves and then they have to go weld blank plates over the holes that will have to be cut off for maintenance.

...or so I've been told. I don't have any firsthand knowledge.

The problem in my city is the junkies stuff their dirty spikes into any open cavity and the city workers are getting pricked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is more OHSHIT than OHSA.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Indonesia Cites Resetting of Circuit Breaker in 2014 AirAsia Crash http://nyti.ms/1Pr67t4

I suppose it is not surprising, but the control system can't survive a reset :ohdearsass:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Indonesia Cites Resetting of Circuit Breaker in 2014 AirAsia Crash http://nyti.ms/1Pr67t4

I suppose it is not surprising, but the control system can't survive a reset :ohdearsass:

Can’t survive simultaneously resetting both of the redundant systems.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
It's not like the plane was impossible to fly after that either, it just switched to 'alternate law', basically manual mode instead of having the computer fly the plane for you and hold your hand. The co-pilot just apparently forgot how planes fly beyond 'Pull stick to go up' and stalled the thing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

The real culprit there is awful CRM. When the PF and PNF are fighting over the controls instead of flying the airplane, bad things are going to happen. At one point the PF was telling the other guy to "pull down," which is a confusing command to say the least.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

from the AI thread:

quote:

6. Neither pilot had had stall* or upset recovery training because those conditions were believed to be impossible due to the protections provided by the FAC, so the pilots did not recover appropriately. The aircraft fell for about a minute and then broke up at around 12,000 feet.

*They had had "approach to stall" recovery training, how to return to normal flight after the computer has prevented you from stalling the aircraft, but not training about how to save your aircraft when you have already stalled it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Christ how can "yeah this thing that planes do will never happen so we won't bother teaching you about it" be a sound basis for a pilot training programme.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Christ how can "yeah this thing that planes do will never happen so we won't bother teaching you about it" be a sound basis for a pilot training programme.

Airlines, like all capitalist ventures, are run by the absolute scum of the earth and they under-pay and under-train pilots while over-working them.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Alereon posted:

Eh not so much. I think everyone would prefer that you re-host to imgur or something if only because the image is more likely to disappear or get replaced with a bandwidth exceeded message if you don't, but it's been a long time since someone was probated for leeching or I saw an image get replaced with goatse. This message brought to you by a computer forum mod whose opinions hold no sway here.

E: My memory isn't as good as I thought it was, image leeching rules are still enforced in some cases, so err on the side of caution.

I still avoid it for the most part still but it's not like it was back in the day. Probably because bandwidth is so cheap now that nobody really gives a poo poo if you hotlink their 1MB cat picture and it gets viewed 100 times.

Kafouille posted:

It's not like the plane was impossible to fly after that either, it just switched to 'alternate law', basically manual mode instead of having the computer fly the plane for you and hold your hand. The co-pilot just apparently forgot how planes fly beyond 'Pull stick to go up' and stalled the thing.

From what I read, the pilots were not trained for the situation because supposedly it could never happen, :lol:.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 2, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

E: oh new page. RE: avionics lets the airline not train pilots how to recover from a stall.

This kind of reasoning and trust in the machines is why my roommate got the back and rear side Windows of his car tinted to blackout curtain levels. Because he has a backup camera now :downs:

Now I'm just waiting for him to back onto something. Or get ticketed for the abyss black Windows.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 2, 2015

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Airlines, like all capitalist ventures, are run by the absolute scum of the earth and they under-pay and under-train pilots while over-working them.

these forums are a capitalist venture

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Arrath posted:

This kind of reasoning and trust in the machines is why my roommate got the back and rear side Windows of his car tinted to blackout curtain levels. Because he has a backup camera now :downs:

Now I'm just waiting for him to back onto something. Or get ticketed for the abyss black Windows.

Now I can't help but picture someone who just installed a backup camera going to town on their back window with a couple of cans of black Krylon.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/01/opinions/abend-airasia-8501-case/index.html

quote:

All airlines in the U.S. practice recovery techniques from unusual attitudes, commonly referred to as upset recoveries.

AirAsia's attitude was that this type of training was unnecessary because Airbus engineering designs electronic protections to prevent such unusual attitude upsets. But these protections degrade if mechanical malfunctions cause the airplane to enter what Airbus calls "Alternate Law," which is the circumstance faced by the pilots of AirAsia 8501.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

ghostter posted:

All the more evidence.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Sagebrush posted:

from the AI thread:

Isn't that what basically doomed with Air France 447? The pilots weren't trained to recognize the signs of/recover from a stall and they dropped out of the sky like a stone.

Baronjutter posted:

Hey, it can happen in government projects, too! :q:

Wired posted:

One day, [Margaret Hamilton's four-year-old daughter] Lauren was playing with the MIT command module simulator’s display-and-keyboard unit, nicknamed the DSKY (dis-key). As she toyed with the keyboard, an error message popped up. Lauren had crashed the simulator by somehow launching a prelaunch program called P01 while the simulator was in midflight. There was no reason an astronaut would ever do this, but nonetheless, Hamilton wanted to add code to prevent the crash. That idea was overruled by NASA. “We had been told many times that astronauts would not make any mistakes,” she says. “They were trained to be perfect.” So instead, Hamilton created a program note—an add-on to the program’s documentation that would be available to NASA engineers and the astronauts: “Do not select P01 during flight,” it said. Hamilton wanted to add error-checking code to the Apollo system that would prevent this from messing up the systems. But that seemed excessive to her higher-ups. “Everyone said, ‘That would never happen,’” Hamilton remembers.

But it did.
Right around Christmas 1968—five days into the historic Apollo 8 flight, which brought astronauts to the moon for the first-ever manned orbit—the astronaut Jim Lovell inadvertently selected P01 during flight. Hamilton was in the second-floor conference room at the Instrumentation Laboratory when the call came in from Houston. Launching the P01 program had wiped out all the navigation data Lovell had been collecting. That was a problem. Without that data, the Apollo computer wouldn’t be able to figure out how to get the astronauts home. Hamilton and the MIT coders needed to come up with a fix; and it needed to be perfect. After spending nine hours poring through the 8-inch-thick program listing on the table in front of them, they had a plan. Houston would upload new navigational data. Everything was going to be OK. Thanks to Hamilton—and Lauren—the Apollo astronauts came home.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Baronjutter posted:

It's not the airline. That bit is from *Airbus's flight crew training manual*:

quote:

The so-called "abnormal attitude" law is:

Pitch alternate with load factor protection (without auto-trim)
Lateral direct law with yaw alternate.

These laws trigger, when extreme values are reached:

Pitch (50 ‹ up, 30 ‹ down)
Bank (125 ‹),
AOA (30 to 40 ‹, -10 ‹),
Speed (440 kt, 60 to 90 kt),
Mach (M 0.91).

It is very unlikely that the aircraft will reach these attitudes, because fly-by-wire provides protection to ensure rapid reaction far in advance. This will minimize the effect and potential for such aerodynamic upsets.

The effectiveness of fly-by-wire architecture and the existence of control laws eliminate the need for upset recovery maneuvers to be trained on protected Airbus aircraft.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FIRST TIME posted:

Now I can't help but picture someone who just installed a backup camera going to town on their back window with a couple of cans of black Krylon.

That would be great but sadly not quite. it's a new car with a factory camera and a legit installed limo level tint on all glass rear of the b pillar. I just doubt the wisdom of going for "I can see vague shapes"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Phanatic posted:

It's not the airline. That bit is from *Airbus's flight crew training manual*:

Unlikely does not mean impossible; I thought every emergency situation a pilot is trained for would be considered unlikely. Didn't the exact same thing happen to Air France?

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
there's an entire thread about airline pilots where they bemoan how little they're paid

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ghostter posted:

AND LOOK HOW THAT TURNED OUT.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Even if it's not required in the training program for the Airbus, didn't these pilots come up on small, light aircraft without fly-by-wire poo poo? I mean even if you only flew the Cessna on Microsoft FS98, you could learn to recognize and recover from a stall.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Number_6 posted:

Even if it's not required in the training program for the Airbus, didn't these pilots come up on small, light aircraft without fly-by-wire poo poo? I mean even if you only flew the Cessna on Microsoft FS98, you could learn to recognize and recover from a stall.

Maybe it was one of those cultural "The captain is god, can't say anything too him." things.

Wasn't there some near crash a while ago on an asian airline where the copilot saw it coming a mile away and did nothing to prevent it because to correct the captain was worse than crashing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
/\/\/\ That would be Korean Airlines.

froward posted:

there's an entire thread about airline pilots where they bemoan how little they're paid

Being a pilot is one of those jobs everyone thinks is cool and wants to do. Therefore there's a glut of people willing to do it which means companies can freely treat their pilots like absolute poo poo because, "If you can't hack it, someone else will."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gorilla Salad posted:

/\/\/\ That would be Korean Airlines.

There was also a KLM disaster where it was speculated that the co-pilot/engineer were afraid to challenge the captain, who was literally the poster-boy for KLM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

The Dark One posted:

Isn't that what basically doomed with Air France 447? The pilots weren't trained to recognize the signs of/recover from a stall and they dropped out of the sky like a stone.

That was more a categorical failure in flying an airplane without an autopilot. They boned up their route which led them into a storm, causing the icing event that put the plane into alternate law, and that led to nonsense like correcting for increased roll sensitivity by going up to their max altitude and stalling out. They were so nose up that the computer considered the angle of attack input to be invalid and stopped giving a stall warning after a minute, but that probably didn't matter since they didn't seem to realize they were stalling or what altitude they were at or really anything at all until the last few seconds before impact. That's why there was no mayday - it wasn't "holy hell we're falling how do I stop it" it was "huh wonder what's going on?????"

The report's great if you can stomach that kind of writing, and either way Popular Mechanics did a writeup focusing on the voice recorder data.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1wV3lmbSv4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Stalling at low speeds in a Cessna is radically different from high-speed, high-altitude flight. Yes, stall recovery is part of getting a pilot's license, but the problem is that knowing how to do it in that context is not the same thing at all from knowing what to do in a commercial airliner.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/2012-05-14/understanding-high-altitude-aerodynamics-critical

mormonpartyboat posted:

That was more a categorical failure in flying an airplane without an autopilot. They boned up their route which led them into a storm, causing the icing event that put the plane into alternate law,

Yep. And the icing was cleared, the airplane was perfectly functional and they were getting good airspeed data. They completely failed to understand that once the systems degrade into alternate law, they won't re-upgrade themselves into normal law, and they apparently also failed to understand that while in normal law the airplane won't let the pilot enter a stall (which is an idea you should take with a grain of salt anyway), in alternate law it will. So they ignored the onset of the stall warning because in normal law the stall warning doesn't mean "Hey, stop what you're doing because you're going to stall the airplane," it means "Hey, you're doing something dumb but that's okay because I won't let anything happen to you."

quote:

and that led to nonsense like correcting for increased roll sensitivity by going up to their max altitude and stalling out. They were so nose up that the computer considered the angle of attack input to be invalid and stopped giving a stall warning after a minute,

It was worse than that. Not only did the stall warning shut off because the AoA got so high that the computer rejected it as invalid, but when they periodically *did* bring the nose down a bit they brought the AoA back into the realm of believability, so the stall warning started up again. So this led to the thoroughly counterintuitive situation where pulling back on the stick more would shut the stall warning off, and pushing forward made it activate.

quote:

but that probably didn't matter since they didn't seem to realize they were stalling or what altitude they were at or really anything at all until the last few seconds before impact. That's why there was no mayday - it wasn't "holy hell we're falling how do I stop it" it was "huh wonder what's going on?????"

Until the last minutes, when the dumbass in the seat stated (paraphrasing) "I don't know why this is happening, I've been pulling back the entire time," at which point the one person in the cockpit with a clue said "That's wrong, dumbass push forward," but by then they didn't have enough altitude to recover.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 2, 2015

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

The cartoon method of demolition.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
For those of you can stomach it, I think this list of flight recorder last words was posted here before.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Phanatic posted:

Stalling at low speeds in a Cessna is radically different from high-speed, high-altitude flight. Yes, stall recovery is part of getting a pilot's license, but the problem is that knowing how to do it in that context is not the same thing at all from knowing what to do in a commercial airliner.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/2012-05-14/understanding-high-altitude-aerodynamics-critical

Although, as you said, in both cases Step 1 is "Stop pulling back on the controls"

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Say Nothing posted:

This is more OHSHIT than OHSA.

I almost had a crash like that once but I was 16 so when I got home I smoked some weed and forgot about it

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
Today in Berlin

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
wa hapen

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the plane got scared so they had to restrain it and cover its eyes to let it calm down

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

That would be great but sadly not quite. it's a new car with a factory camera and a legit installed limo level tint on all glass rear of the b pillar. I just doubt the wisdom of going for "I can see vague shapes"

You know that vans exist, right?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not as unsafe as it seems. Shotgun shells are so common for zip guns because they have a surprisingly low operating pressure (the high recoil of a shotgun is from the mass of shot being fired), so common hardware store pipe can safely be used as an improvised barrel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm the chipmunk laugh after the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

They were towing a plane to get serviced and towed it into a light tower.

• Locked thread