Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Even if they banned mages, people would 6 box 3 wizards and 3 necros or something. It's not just mages that are hosed up, spells are just stronger, mana regen is stronger, melee is poo poo garbage in classic.

But none of that really mattered that much when I was on TLP, yeah it was annoying, but once they did dungeon instances you could still find groups. Everyone I knew that actually liked playing had lvl50s in reasonable amount of time.

The xping was never really a problem, it was the camping gear, people would box in a camp for days at a time. Which is a double edged sword because I couldn't go camp it myself, but on the other hand I could go grind plat in OoT and just buy it for cheap. Believe it or not, but I think the average player on during the beginning of ragefire/lockjaw was wayyy better geared than anyone has ever been in classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

darkhand posted:

Even if they banned mages, people would 6 box 3 wizards and 3 necros or something. It's not just mages that are hosed up, spells are just stronger, mana regen is stronger, melee is poo poo garbage in classic.

But none of that really mattered that much when I was on TLP, yeah it was annoying, but once they did dungeon instances you could still find groups. Everyone I knew that actually liked playing had lvl50s in reasonable amount of time.

The xping was never really a problem, it was the camping gear, people would box in a camp for days at a time. Which is a double edged sword because I couldn't go camp it myself, but on the other hand I could go grind plat in OoT and just buy it for cheap. Believe it or not, but I think the average player on during the beginning of ragefire/lockjaw was wayyy better geared than anyone has ever been in classic.

Sure, though that also gets back to EQ being a solved problem to an extent.

I plan on being an Enchanter because there really isn't any other MMO that offers an experience like it -- even modern EQ. Same with Bard, and to a lesser extent Necro for a similar reason. Instanced raids got my ears up because to keep playing I want to know there's a place for me as an employed semi-casual in the end game.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Actually modern EQ enchanters are mindblowingly strong most people are just extremely bad at them, but yeah they are unique and cool as heck, same for necro and classic bard.

Classic is barely solved problem because there's so few things to tweak in your gameplay, but modern EQ is only solved by a small minority of an already small playerbase. Most EQ players are god drat terrible at their class it multiple ways.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 28, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
What are paladins like at end game nowadays? I quit right after PoP and always marveled at Slay Undeads ability to spam my chatbox in Crypt of Decay.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

darkhand posted:

Actually modern EQ enchanters are mindblowingly strong most people are just extremely bad at them, but yeah they are unique and cool as heck, same for necro and classic bard.

Now that I think about it I remember reading Enchanters are strong in modern EQ, but also read that the stuff that I felt made the class unique (CC and Charm) have largely been sidelined in favor of higher DPS?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

boho posted:

Now that I think about it I remember reading Enchanters are strong in modern EQ, but also read that the stuff that I felt made the class unique (CC and Charm) have largely been sidelined in favor of higher DPS?

Basically, that was my experience. I had... well, still have a 105 enchanter with max AA on Test. I don't pretend to be a card-carrying genius about the class, but at high levels crowd control becomes much less necessary (by which I mean that everything that matters is immune to CC). However, single-target DPS for enchanters at 105 is very respectable and, if you mix that with their excellent ADPS, they really add a lot.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Givin posted:

What are paladins like at end game nowadays? I quit right after PoP and always marveled at Slay Undeads ability to spam my chatbox in Crypt of Decay.

I went back and tried to play my release paladin a couple months ago and my server was insanely dead, so that didn't help, but I had fun as long as they were undead mobs, but that was it. I found my buddies SK way more fun to play, and he wrecked a lot more rear end.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

boho posted:

Depends on what you do. In raids you probably just add to dps and stun. But in group dungeons you can run around stun/absorb tanking stuff, mez charm, root, slow.

In solo you can aoe root mobs and charm one to make it take massive NPC damage, then break it and nuke and get full exp.

Enchanter tool belt is really big, other classes have some of it, but when you put then all on one dude it's pretty strong in a unique way.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Givin posted:

Raidwise, you are offtanking, providing healing for the main tank, giving the main tank/s beneficial abilities that increase how much heals land on them for and their AC, or you're being subbed to full-time healing a DPS group because your raid is missing a priest. We're also casting Splash, which is our signature spell. It's a free-target on your cursor which heals and cures everybody in range.

Groupwise we're stellar, we're constantly making GBS threads out heals and keep really good single target agro. Multi target agro is a weakness of ours, we only have three ways of doing it and each of them have a few minute cooldown and aren't very powerful. AE Agro is Warriors (they're retardedly overpowered with Defensive Proficiency) and especially SKs specialty.

Its funny that you mentioned Crypt of Decay. That is one of the zones in the new, horribly broken expansion. Bertox isn't even in it, even though he's attacking Rodcet Nife and the Plane of Health.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Are Heroic Adventures, such as Into the Hills still a good way to level from 85+?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Kill xp per hour is probably better in the grounds or HoT, but if your group is op and can finish HA in like 10minutes those might be better.

Some of the daily HA tasks are worth doing for sure though

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Welp, they put a 3 hour lockout timer on the HA's. Also, the into the hills HA I did broke, and said there was 1 more mob to kill even though I couldn't find one at all. Thanks to the new bug tracker with DBG, I found out it has to do with enchanters and bad pathing by the mobs: https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-45

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I was all set to get in on this and got in to whatever people call a raiding superguild at launch. Then people explained to me what "pet walling" is and why you do it to get server firsts.

Pass.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Givin posted:

I was all set to get in on this and got in to whatever people call a raiding superguild at launch. Then people explained to me what "pet walling" is and why you do it to get server firsts.

Pass.

Normally I'd be 100% with you, but now that raids are instanced, I really don't care what cheesy poo poo people do. How they play when it comes to raids no longer has any effect on how I play when it comes to raids.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Givin posted:

Pass.

Bad zerg guilds do that. Realm of Insanity, which has gotten gamewide firsts since Underfoot, we don't do that poo poo.

The only time we'd ever consider doing it is if a raid was absolutely undeniably bugged/overtuned and the only way to progress is to use any trick in the book, and we haven't done that since I've been a member, for the last three expansions.

poo poo, we didn't even do that in the Plane of War raid, when it was hideously overtuned and took us weeks to finally beat it. Then they nerfed it literally the day after we beat it the second time.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Node posted:

Bad zerg guilds do that. Realm of Insanity, which has gotten gamewide firsts since Underfoot, we don't do that poo poo.

The only time we'd ever consider doing it is if a raid was absolutely undeniably bugged/overtuned and the only way to progress is to use any trick in the book, and we haven't done that since I've been a member, for the last three expansions.

poo poo, we didn't even do that in the Plane of War raid, when it was hideously overtuned and took us weeks to finally beat it. Then they nerfed it literally the day after we beat it the second time.

TLP servers are going to do it.

Because TLP.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

TLP servers are going to do it.

Because TLP.

Those aren't real servers.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Was looking up what pet walling means (it's just mass pet chaining), and found your average TLP'er:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XDu4L32Qxg

Vaping, 6-boxing EverQuest, wearing a cap inside while gaming. Proof that there is no shame left in exposing yourself online, no matter what you do.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Pilsner posted:

Was looking up what pet walling means (it's just mass pet chaining), and found your average TLP'er:

Vaping, 6-boxing EverQuest, wearing a cap inside while gaming. Proof that there is no shame left in exposing yourself online, no matter what you do.

I do not understand the popularity of streamers showing their stupid loving face while they're playing some lovely game. Why do people want to see that.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Any suggestions on how to better dual box when using 2 Pcs ? The 2nd box will just be a follow/heal/buffs priest class but was wondering if there are better way that just hitting a 2nd keyboard.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Pilsner posted:

Based on the /tell in the video, the guy doing the streaming isn't the one who is 6 boxing mages.

Watching the video makes me want to box a Shadowknight, Shaman, and a Bard/Mage/Wizard (not decided which yet) on the new TLP server.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Baconroll posted:

Any suggestions on how to better dual box when using 2 Pcs ? The 2nd box will just be a follow/heal/buffs priest class but was wondering if there are better way that just hitting a 2nd keyboard.

ISBoxer allows almost full functionality through multiple computers. You can literally box a full raid if you have enough computers this way, but it is a pain to set up if you do not know what you're doing. Luckily, there are many great guides on how to do it.

I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe you will not be able to set up broadcast video's (which are basically a live screen shot of the other account on the main account you are using). It's not a deal breaker by any means, it just requires better in game macro's to be set up on the 2nd computer.

Here is the HOWTO on this: http://isboxer.com/wiki/HOWTO:Use_ISBoxer_With_Multiple_Computers

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Baconroll posted:

Is MacroQuest2 still a thing?

If it is, there's no better option. At the height of my MQ2 career I had a 6 man team farming AA in Plane of Fire, but some people might consider that cheating :p

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Node posted:

I do not understand the popularity of streamers showing their stupid loving face while they're playing some lovely game. Why do people want to see that.

It's why I usually prefer screenshot LPs when I want to see a game but don't actually want to play it. I understand why some games don't translate to video well or whatever but my experience isn't improved by having a pasty nerd with a bad beard yelling memes over video games.

EDIT: AFAIK MQ2 should work fine on those servers, it's not like they really give a poo poo with instanced raid content (or gave a poo poo before besides blatantly obvious hacking).

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Pilsner posted:

He's also got the horrendous angle on his camera to show a completely empty set of shelves and 3/4ths of his face.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The lead mq2 Dec has said that it won't work on the new server. So you'll have to find his server selective code and remove it, or wait for someone else to do that and make a new distribution.

He's spent pages of posts on the Eq forums talking about how no one could possibly figure out his code that will prevent it from working on the no box server. I expect it to be broken in about 3 days.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

jetz0r posted:

The lead mq2 Dec has said that it won't work on the new server. So you'll have to find his server selective code and remove it, or wait for someone else to do that and make a new distribution.

He's spent pages of posts on the Eq forums talking about how no one could possibly figure out his code that will prevent it from working on the no box server. I expect it to be broken in about 3 days.

What's a nobox server?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I'm thinking about playing on the Phinny progression server. Is there a general rundown on what I can expect classes to be like? It's been a while since I've played and especially longer since doing a progression server. My thought was to do a shaman.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

What's a nobox server?

You're restricted to only one account per computer. I have no idea why it is called a nobox server, because the boxing program out there allows you to easily box using multiple computers.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Xeras posted:

I'm thinking about playing on the Phinny progression server. Is there a general rundown on what I can expect classes to be like? It's been a while since I've played and especially longer since doing a progression server. My thought was to do a shaman.

remove everything good from your class of choice, and that's how it is in classic.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
One year for fading memories, one year for bows to not completely suck rear end. Like two? years or a year and a half for puma and I think more for slow skin. My class choices :qq:

Also RIP to druids who don't get the remote line until underhill.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 2, 2015

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Bahanahab posted:

You're restricted to only one account per computer. I have no idea why it is called a nobox server, because the boxing program out there allows you to easily box using multiple computers.

Not like you couldn't run a bunch of XP instances in vmware workstation too...

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Stanos posted:

One year for fading memories, one year for bows to not completely suck rear end. Like two? years or a year and a half for puma and I think more for slow skin. My class choices :qq:

Also RIP to druids who don't get the remote line until underhill.

RIP druids until POP when they actually get decent heals.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

DigitalMocking posted:

Not like you couldn't run a bunch of XP instances in vmware workstation too...

They will ban you for running EQ (or EQ2) in a VMWare instance.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MF_James posted:

RIP druids until POP when they actually get decent heals.

I played a druid then. We were still crap for healing in groups because we didn't have resurrections.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

I played a druid then. We were still crap for healing in groups because we didn't have resurrections.

While I had a different experience in the last 2 TLP servers that I main'd a druid on, I hardly ever advertised myself to the group as a healer. I was always debuffs, spot heals and utility buffs. Especially after Luclin/PoP. I didn't feel really good about main healing in a group until Omens or so.

Druids aren't high priority in the super-fast leveling groups, however I had friends that liked to level their PLing characters first, then PL their boxes or mains, so I never really had an issue getting groups.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I have kinda enjoyed catching up on current day EQ and looking into the TLP servers and how sperg some of these people are about them. Competing for server firsts for poo poo that I killed 15 plus years ago and the lengths they go to get it. Speedrunning the special olympics.

They are supposed to release their FAQ about the new server this weekend and that will probably influence how much I want to play here. If popular bottleneck zones like Plane of X are instanced i think they have struck gold. Yeah, the big raid targets like Inny and CT are contested, but the demis drop some important items as well. If they aren't, well I might as well just play on a real server and I think I'll do just that.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Givin posted:

I might as well just play on a real server and I think I'll do just that.

I did this too. I started looking into EQ again with this new server, but the more I read about it the less I really wanted to play on it. Then I found a level 85 heroic enchanter from way back when they gave those free heroics away. The moment I found that character I had made up my mind to stay on a real server. I'm having way too much fun chain pulling in these HA's.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

JustJeff88 posted:

Druids were fine once POP hit and you got the good quick heal and the "complete" heal, I played one from kunark through some expansion like TDS TBS or TSS something like that, and main healed the whole way through without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Givin posted:

I have kinda enjoyed catching up on current day EQ and looking into the TLP servers and how sperg some of these people are about them. Competing for server firsts for poo poo that I killed 15 plus years ago and the lengths they go to get it. Speedrunning the special olympics.

They are supposed to release their FAQ about the new server this weekend and that will probably influence how much I want to play here. If popular bottleneck zones like Plane of X are instanced i think they have struck gold. Yeah, the big raid targets like Inny and CT are contested, but the demis drop some important items as well. If they aren't, well I might as well just play on a real server and I think I'll do just that.
I think Live is fun (have been playing on and off since 2009) because you can choose to crash through all the old stuff on fast forward, at your own pace. There's not much social to it, but my schedule combined with a fondness of soloing just makes Live perfect for me. I started out solo, then added a box and then later two more (4-boxing total). It's fun.