Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Upon reflection, even though I think Amnesia was much scarier and had better enemy mechanics overall, SOMA was more interesting and subtly horrifying with a real whammy of an ending that tops off the horror of it all, with a theme that was super effective and engaging from A to Z. Whereas Amnesia is the scariest game of all time that has a meh setting and ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Foxhound posted:

Well, yes. But I was thinking more "terrifying that I'm left alone on the ocean floor as (probably) the only sentient being on the planet, possibly stuck in the dark in a chair until my batteries run out."

I honestly hated Simon to such an extent that very little of SOMA's plot landed for me, because he was such a blundering dunce that I never saw him as an extension of myself and never feared for his safety. It doesn't help that I considered all of the game's philosophical quandaries to be solved in advance - I never deliberated or hesitated over any of the moral dilemmas, so none of them had any impact. For some reason my playthrough of that game was dickish to an extent I almost never indulge. Christ, I remember thinking that I'd have probably smashed the ARK too if I'd gotten the option. Humanity's kaput! Had to happen sometime! Who gives a poo poo!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm actually kinda happy this one version of Simon gets dicked over for eternity. Or however long that techno fluid keeps him "alive".
Mostly cause he kept murdering people (though Pat's to blame).

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Catherine's existence on the ARK is the most worrying thing. Are there now two Catherine's existing inside it? And as she knows how the transfer works she knows that Simon 3 and Catherine 2 are still left on earth, which she doesn't tell the new Simon.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Catherine's existence on the ARK is the most worrying thing. Are there now two Catherine's existing inside it? And as she knows how the transfer works she knows that Simon 3 and Catherine 2 are still left on earth, which she doesn't tell the new Simon.

To be fair, there's only one or two lines of dialogue between them, at the end of the ARK sequence. "Hey Simon, welcome to the ARK, btw your third body is still trapped at the bottom of the ocean" doesn't seem like a natural thing to hamfist in there. Besides, that extra bit is supposed to be celebratory and relieving, in a way -- arguing about what happened to Catherine 2/Simon 3 would be contrary to the scene's purpose.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Catherine 2 (and 3 by extension) thought that Simon understood the consequences of the transfer, because she'd explained it to him clearly, parts of it multiple times. There's probably a date they have three days later where she has to break the news over spaghetti, but Simon 4 doesn't really care because Simon is a selfish idiot who doesn't listen, and just wants to be comfortable.

I would have loved a companion hacking game where you play as Catherine, and can choose how frank or manipulative you want to be.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I imagine that the first Catherine on the ARK gets overwritten by the second.

Though, for me, the implication that there is a nuclear bomb of "humanity" floating in space is the scariest thing. The WAU/ARK has already proven that humanity's consciousness can be digitized and transferred onto a once-living being, who says it can't be transferred onto a currently-living being? Imagine some alien motherfuckers popping open the cap on the ARK, and suddenly all of the people trapped inside for millenia wanna stretch their legs. A whole planet of beings just totally taken over by humans if something crazy happens - and around Simon, crazy stuff is guaranteed to happen: the WAU isn't a localized thing to Earth, a bit of it is stuck on the inside of the ARK's external casing, or something insane enough in the infinite of space.

Could be a good sequel, to be honest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel especially bad for Cath 2 cause the last thing she will ever see, experience, or think about, or BE ABLE to think about, is arguing in vain with the dumbass who cares more about his fundamental misunderstanding of the system than the fact that he just saved humanity. In the ending she just blinks out in mid sentence and boom, gone, no more electricity, no more consciousness.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Catherine knew he didn't understand which is why she tied the scan to the launch button so he couldn't flake out on her, because he would have.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

pulp rag posted:

Though, for me, the implication that there is a nuclear bomb of "humanity" floating in space is the scariest thing. The WAU/ARK has already proven that humanity's consciousness can be digitized and transferred onto a once-living being, who says it can't be transferred onto a currently-living being? Imagine some alien motherfuckers popping open the cap on the ARK, and suddenly all of the people trapped inside for millenia wanna stretch their legs. A whole planet of beings just totally taken over by humans if something crazy happens - and around Simon, crazy stuff is guaranteed to happen: the WAU isn't a localized thing to Earth, a bit of it is stuck on the inside of the ARK's external casing, or something insane enough in the infinite of space.

I mean humanity being Yith+The Thing sounds alright.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

pulp rag posted:

Given the ARK has been running for almost a year of simulated time, that's a terrifying thought. There's nothing wrong with 2 Catherines being on the ARK, it's weird, but they're two different people at this point. Catherine 1' and Catherine 3 have a fair bit different life experience since the copy was made, it's probably fine to just let there be two Catherines.

The ARK being discovered is an awesome sequel pitch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is Liam going to the wrong date or something? He said he's going to the PS experience "not this weekend, but the next"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
But the next weekend they're using that location for the Big Butts Convention :ohdear:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

But the next weekend they're using that location for the Big Butts Convention :ohdear:

Clearly, this is actually a setup for an intervention.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can't really fault Simon for freaking out about his situation. To him, the "transfer" worked twice before, so it's incredibly hard to grasp what not being transferred is like. I'd like to imagine it's more a matter of anger and denial then it is not really understanding.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I can't believe the Best Friends aren't Hype for Cracker Jack. He's the single coolest boxer in SF history. Dude's a liar and a cheater and dresses like a Louisiana dandy moved to Miami Vice.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Imagine how Simon 2 felt about Simon 3 offing him.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I can't believe the Best Friends aren't Hype for Cracker Jack. He's the single coolest boxer in SF history. Dude's a liar and a cheater and dresses like a Louisiana dandy moved to Miami Vice.

Because he's nowhere near as awesome or cool as Dudley.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Al-Saqr posted:

Because he's nowhere near as awesome or cool as Dudley.

Dudley was a neat idea but he's kind of one note and a bit played out. Like even Boxer is a little cooler than Duders. Dudley is still the most fun to play though.

Oh and I can't wait for the Best Friends Game Grumps cross-over coming soon as Woolie and Matt land in california.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dudley was a neat idea but he's kind of one note and a bit played out. Like even Boxer is a little cooler than Duders. Dudley is still the most fun to play though.

Oh and I can't wait for the Best Friends Game Grumps cross-over coming soon as Woolie and Matt land in california.

Woolie gets super exposed in Excellent Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross feat. Hellpockets.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

Woolie gets super exposed in Excellent Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross feat. Hellpockets.

I can;'t wait

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Who cares about boxers when you have Skullomania

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxxidation posted:

I honestly hated Simon to such an extent that very little of SOMA's plot landed for me, because he was such a blundering dunce that I never saw him as an extension of myself and never feared for his safety. It doesn't help that I considered all of the game's philosophical quandaries to be solved in advance - I never deliberated or hesitated over any of the moral dilemmas, so none of them had any impact. For some reason my playthrough of that game was dickish to an extent I almost never indulge. Christ, I remember thinking that I'd have probably smashed the ARK too if I'd gotten the option. Humanity's kaput! Had to happen sometime! Who gives a poo poo!

You must be fun at parties.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey matt what's the good episode of game of thrones that you said was really funny because I can only make it through like 3 minutes at best due to how boring and poo poo the game is

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pulp rag posted:

thats the plot of the tommyknockers

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pat kills Danny, due to being both tall and possessing a surplus of hair.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
The ending to Revenge of Kuma was somehow even more anticlimactic than I ever imagined.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Solaris Knight posted:

The ending to Revenge of Kuma was somehow even more anticlimactic than I ever imagined.

remember, it was supposed to be three episodes!

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Eh I think Simon did a pretty good job considering how discombobulated he must be to wake up as a robot after 100 years passed in the blink of an eye. It's such an alien concept that I don't think anyone can predict how they would react in a situation like that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So Woolie missed a third game that was removed from steam, though far less high-profile than even afro samurai: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/01/sekai-project-explains-why-it-pulled-yohjo-simulator-from-steam/

Liam, if anything will make you hesitate on your principle, please let it be this.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Dias posted:

I'd watch this. A lot.

Tae posted:

So Woolie missed a third game that was removed from steam, though far less high-profile than even afro samurai: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/01/sekai-project-explains-why-it-pulled-yohjo-simulator-from-steam/

Liam, if anything will make you hesitate on your principle, please let it be this.

He'd not only argue harder for that he'd probably call it 'an alright game'.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tae posted:

vhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jHNs6mkG7I

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dexie posted:

Motherfucker.

We're not going to make it, are we? :(

1.4 mil now with 3 days left. It definitely started to pick up momentum now.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Shindragon posted:

1.4 mil now with 3 days left. It definitely started to pick up momentum now.

Only needs 67,000 now. e: 66,000

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 2, 2015

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

C'MON INDIVISIBLE! PIERCE THE HEAVENS! WHO DO THOSE DOUBTFUL CRETINS THINK YOU ARE?!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

C'MON INDIVISIBLE! PIERCE THE HEAVENS! WHO DO THOSE DOUBTFUL CRETINS THINK YOU ARE?!

A would be Valkyrie Profile dragged down by fighting game mechanics?

E: still hope it passes though, because I like Mike Z and Co

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rodyle posted:

A would be Valkyrie Profile dragged down by fighting game mechanics?

Boo this man! :v:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Are there actually fighting game mechanics, it's just Valkyrie Profile with slightly more complex combat. And probably better platforming and voice acting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What happened, did they get featured on CNN or something? Usually the last-day skyrocketing happens on...the last day, not 3 days before.

I reiterate, Indivisible is basically the teaming up of every major indie game of the last few years to bring it to success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kznHGYGw088&t=50s

http://i.imgur.com/mRX4ags.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

Are there actually fighting game mechanics, it's just Valkyrie Profile with slightly more complex combat. And probably better platforming and voice acting.

I don't like the blocking and combo system. I like everything else, especially the art, but I just want a turn based RPG.