Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

The color wheel is exactly what the game designers and writers need it to be at any given time.

Here is a white card with a 1BB cost.

Flying vampires that use +1/+1 counters is a very black thing, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Lord of Hats posted:

What makes killer bees green, though? While green does have spiders, which sometimes have deathtouch, I'm pretty sure deathtouch insects have been way more of a black thing over the course of the game. Black certainly gets all the scorpions.

Under the current design philosophy, it isn't. That's :thejoke:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Are there even Merfolk on Innistrad?

bhsman posted:

Flying vampires that use +1/+1 counters is a very black thing, though?

Yes, the card is perfectly fine in black its just :spergin:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 2, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

If there isn't, the introduction of a Cthulu-esque threat with Merfolk worshippers would be as good of an excuse as any.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Angry Grimace posted:

No creatures with the type "Merfolk" were printed in the Innistrad block, no.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bhsman posted:

If there isn't, the introduction of a Cthulu-esque threat with Merfolk worshippers would be as good of an excuse as any.

Well, I mean DFCs of humans who turn into fish-men thanks to their worship of an reality-traveling, unknowable eldritch abomination overlord makes an awful lot of sense in a set named after Shadow Over Innsmouth, but I don't know if this is too on the nose.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm glad we're moving on to a lovecraft-cribbed block about eldritch abominations, it will be a nice change of pace from the eldrazi

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Hey which one of you was looking for foil Metalworkers?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I assume that isn't yours? If it is, congrats, that thing will be worth a fortune with the right buyer.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

I assume that isn't yours? If it is, congrats, that thing will be worth a fortune with the right buyer.

It wasn't a few moments ago, but it is now. Ha.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The problem with the color pie is it's three competing systems for justifying something according to color and very rarely do all three seem to align to justify the same thing.

Example:

Lore justification: Dragons are red because FIRE WOW COOL
Mechanics justification: Dragons are red because of long-standing precedent, because red needs an iconic race, and because firebreathing can be represented in lots of ways that are mechanically in red's identity.
Color philosophy justification: Dragons are red because..... because.... you know what, gently caress it, classic fantasy dragons are black and other twists on them tend toward blue or green.

The weird thing is even though Maro treats the color pie as supremely useful and I think it's almost useless, I think he's right that the most important thing about it is using it to preserve mechanical color identity. Basically because it keeps the mechanical core of the game fun and because the other aspects of the color pie can be twisted into pretzels to justify anything.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Pussy Snorkel posted:

It wasn't a few moments ago, but it is now. Ha.

Ha indeed. So did you pay a fortune? And I've hesitated to buy a normal one for my cube because they're $25 and I'm not sure how long it'd stay in...

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Ha indeed. So did you pay a fortune? And I've hesitated to buy a normal one for my cube because they're $25 and I'm not sure how long it'd stay in...

Depends what you consider a fortune, I suppose. It was definitely more than an English foil, to say the least.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm glad we're moving on to a lovecraft-cribbed block about eldritch abominations, it will be a nice change of pace from the eldrazi

Then again, I almost expect some kind of swerve since naming a dark horror block with such an obvious reference to a Lovecraft novella seems way different than the way WOTC usually operates. I suppose I don't really care what they do so long as they don't gently caress up the block since the setting is really cool.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Hey which one of you was looking for foil Metalworkers?

Is that an actual misprint? If so it's beautiful.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Is that an actual misprint? If so it's beautiful.

It's NFC, but if you know me, you know I don't actually care. This thing is a gorgeous one-of-a-kind.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

It's NFC, but if you know me, you know I don't actually care. This thing is a gorgeous one-of-a-kind.

Oh well then it's garbage. :colbert:

jk I actually like that one. Most NFCs I've seen look awful though.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

No merfolks, no elves, no goblins.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Oh well then it's garbage. :colbert:

jk I actually like that one. Most NFCs I've seen look awful though.

So you dislike my legacy deck?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Eli?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Definitely. He's a good friend of mine.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I'm jealous of the Thespian's Stage but you should be ashamed of yourself with those Mox Diamonds. What's the 2RR card beneath the Zenith?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Definitely. He's a good friend of mine.

I helped a couple folks farm prize tickets at GP OKC to get a sheet of foil flip walkers that they said they were taking to Eli or one of Eli's friends to get NFC'd.

Do you know (of) them by chance? and would you wager a guess at what a miscut foil flip Jace is worth?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I'm jealous of the Thespian's Stage but you should be ashamed of yourself with those Mox Diamonds. What's the 2RR card beneath the Zenith?

SDCC Chandra

End of Life Guy posted:

I helped a couple folks farm prize tickets at GP OKC to get a sheet of foil flip walkers that they said they were taking to Eli or one of Eli's friends to get NFC'd.

Do you know (of) them by chance? and would you wager a guess at what a miscut foil flip Jace is worth?

I've seen the NFC Jaces. I think they were going for just over $100 before they went up.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pussy Snorkel posted:

moon language Sylvan Library, you monster

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

AgentSythe posted:

Just a Chinese 5th Edition with an expansion symbol. The most expensive Sylvan Library there is. PLEBE

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pussy Snorkel posted:

NFC?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AgentSythe posted:

Errata: At the beginning of your draw step, call a judge

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Non-Factory Cut.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks.

How do people get a hold of uncut sheets? Is it ever legal (I mean who sells it)?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Thanks.

How do people get a hold of uncut sheets? Is it ever legal (I mean who sells it)?

They're given away as prizes at GPs and big events like GenCon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pussy Snorkel posted:

They're given away as prizes at GPs and big events like GenCon.

That doesn't seem like something wotc would do

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Rinkles posted:

That doesn't seem like something wotc would do

Well. They do. Regularly, actually, for the last several years.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
And then people poorly butcher them and they look gross as hell most of the time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Well. They do. Regularly, actually, for the last several years.

I believe you, I'm just surprised.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

And then people poorly butcher them and they look gross as hell most of the time.

I mean, the cuts are done professionally. If you don't like the aesthetic, that's fine, but they're well-done.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I believe you, I'm just surprised.

They're given away as cool one-off collectible type things, not so idiots can poorly chop them up and sell them at a premium.

e: your cuts look fine, I've seen some gross as hell ones though. I don't particularly care for the off-center aesthetic, it looks bad to me, but vertically displaced miscuts (ie the ones that naturally occur) can look neat.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sigma-X posted:

They're given away as cool one-off collectible type things, not so idiots can poorly chop them up and sell them at a premium.

Gotta say the real people you should be laughing at are those who buy them. I think they look like butt.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Gotta say the real people you should be laughing at are those who buy them. I think they look like butt.

Opinions! Ahh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Devor posted:

Errata: At the beginning of your draw step, call a judge

Drawstep*
:goonsay:

• Locked thread