Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

Apologies for dissapearing midway through a huge discussion I helped to instigate but I've been a bit swamped with work recently. I just wanted to check in and assure people I'll be back and posting long, verbose walls of text any day now.

As a CI fan who hasn't enjoyed his 2014-2015 output as much I feel like I need to take a moment to say after reading through the last few pages that it's nice to see Cultural Imperial back in fighting form, ramming home the hard truths our Maple Syrup-sodden brains don't want to accept.

I know some of you find him hard to take sometimes. My advice is that you just imagine everything he posts is being spoken by Matthew McConaughey in True Detective:

The two best posters in the thread, in one post! :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Apologies for dissapearing midway through a huge discussion I helped to instigate but I've been a bit swamped with work recently. I just wanted to check in and assure people I'll be back and posting long, verbose walls of text any day now.

Don't sweat it, it's not like the NDP's going to be doing much for the next four years :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

THC posted:

Debate & Discussion: The Problem AtticCanadian Politics: I'm kinda jacking off at the prospect of you being financially ruined tbh... Canadians are human garbage.

Be more concise: Canadian Politics Megathread: Canadians are human garbage

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

JawKnee posted:

:lol: sup fellow SFU goer

Pearce once called the entirety of the tech-support staff at the downtown campus assholes over their shared radios inadvertently

Wait, which Pearce? I think I have him next semester.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Helsing posted:

As a CI fan who hasn't enjoyed his 2014-2015 output as much I feel like I need to take a moment to say after reading through the last few pages that it's nice to see Cultural Imperial back in fighting form, ramming home the hard truths our Maple Syrup-sodden brains don't want to accept.

I know some of you find him hard to take sometimes. My advice is that you just imagine everything he posts is being spoken by Matthew McConaughey in True Detective:

As someone with CI on ignore it would be great if people would stop quoting him or responding to his idiotic posts.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

cougar cub posted:

As someone with CI on ignore it would be great if people would stop quoting him or responding to his idiotic posts.

Maybe if you put everyone on ignore it will work out for you.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

cougar cub posted:

Lowtax should axe the ignore function entirely, gently caress your carebear hug bubble. :boom:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

This is amazing thank you.

Conservative Alberta makes Ford Nation seem ideologically rigorous. :stare:

sick zip everywhere
Jul 21, 2010
Pearce put on Koyaanisqatsi for one of our lectures and spent another showing us pictures of his motorcycle and the time he met the guy from the movie Sniper. He also put the answers to the midterm on the overhead the week before it and said that he still gets a bell curve when he does this.

Then he disappeared for the last third of the semester and we got another guy.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

THC posted:

Is he still concerned about the "feminization of education"

Dunno, never came up, but that sounds like a thing he would be concerned about.

JawKnee posted:

:lol: sup fellow SFU goer

Pearce once called the entirety of the tech-support staff at the downtown campus assholes over their shared radios inadvertently

:whatup:
(I'm going to be here forever)

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Wait, which Pearce? I think I have him next semester.

If you're taking 320, that's the one. Talk in class, and don't be afraid to argue with him, he seems a lot angrier than he actually is.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The best part of going to SFU is you dont have to be embarrassed by UBC's rape scandals

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I would disagree; the Calgary School seem to at least know what they're fighting for and why.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 2, 2015

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Duck Rodgers posted:

Actually the government did impose a change on the governance system of First Nations recently (and has many times in the past). It was called the First Nations Financial Transparency Act and was passed in 2012. The bill was championed by the Canadian Taxpayers Foundation and the CPC, and relied on racist imagery of corrupt chiefs to impose stricter auditing standards on First Nations communities than any Canadian community. The general idea was that the problems on reserves are due to corruption, rather than long term government underfunding and broken treaty obligations. The Transparency Act was widely opposed by First Nations communities, as they already face strict auditing rules, and yet the government passed it anyway. In fact the government passed a number of bills (housing, education) that directly changed the way First Nations communities operated that were all opposed by the actual communities. This despite the Canadian government having a treaty obligation to consult with First Nations.

That you insist on holding onto a negative stereotype of a minority group without definitive evidence that it is incorrect is pretty much what racism is. It doesn't have to be malicious. Most of the anecdotes your thinking of likely come from the campaign in support of the Transparency Act (and were largely manufactured or spun by either the CPC or the CTF.

But anyway, for some data. The average salary for an elected First Nations representative is $36,000

Citing the AFN on corruption on reserves is like citing the NRA on gun violence in America. Shouting "That's racist, that's racist, you are a racist" to every suggestion that chiefs or band councils aren't serving their people's best interest, and impossible to take seriously in the face of stories like the 800,000 bonus awarded to the chief of a 80 person first nation for "economic development" the same year as a major land deal with the BC government. A bonus that would not have been made public were it not for the Transparency Act (which is far from perfect, I agree).

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

That's one story.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Where do sfu comp sci grads go after graduation anyway? I haven't met a dumb sfu cs (or eng,applied ciences) grad yet but I work with only a small group.

Please don't say hootsuite

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Into the bowels of some monolithic corporation where they can be grossly underpaid and never see the light of day again.

Uvic comp sci grads get much cooler jobs.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I got a job at a startup in my 2nd year and dropped out in my 4th after we got acquired. A lot of my classmates went to Facebook, Sophos, SAP (lol), and Blackberry (double lol).

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

THC posted:

That's one story.

How about the Attawapiskat co-manager on trial for fraud and theft? How many isolated incidents does it take to add up to a valid concern?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Into the bowels of some monolithic corporation where they can be grossly underpaid and never see the light of day again.

Uvic comp sci grads get much cooler jobs.

Bro, i don't think you're hanging out with a big enough sample size of people or you are being given bad information. My friends and I in undergrad were probably the bottom 10% of our grad class and without exception, my friends are very successful in their careers. Many have left Canada of course but even those that have stayed have done well.

Not everyone graduates from undergrad into an ideal job. I certainly didn't. But the torture of a brutal undergrad teaches you tenacity and persistence. That's 75% of the value of a degree.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

THC posted:

I got a job at a startup in my 2nd year and dropped out in my 4th after we got acquired. A lot of my classmates went to Facebook, Sophos, SAP (lol), and Blackberry (double lol).

Facebook in Vancouver or the bay area?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The concerns are valid with regard to those specific individuals and nations. It is not valid when applied to First Nations in the general, or to people who rightly point out racist stereotyping.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Facebook in Vancouver or the bay area?
Both, I think.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 2, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Constant Hamprince posted:

How about the Attawapiskat co-manager on trial for fraud and theft? How many isolated incidents does it take to add up to a valid concern?

It's certainly a problem but people make it out to be a first-nations problem and how we need to swoop in there and stop all this wasteful greed and corruption while shrugging and scandals and waste 100x as bad done by government or the private sector.

They're about on par with any small town government as anecdotes go. And you could add up every FIRST NATIONS CORRUPTION scandal in a year and it won't even compare to a single corrupt military procurement or private sector hand-job.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

It's certainly a problem but people make it out to be a first-nations problem and how we need to swoop in there and stop all this wasteful greed and corruption while shrugging and scandals and waste 100x as bad done by government or the private sector.

They're about on par with any small town government as anecdotes go. And you could add up every FIRST NATIONS CORRUPTION scandal in a year and it won't even compare to a single corrupt military procurement or private sector hand-job.

That's true. And where it exists, the problem is made so much worse by how little the reserves generally get in terms of federal funding. The Conservatives insisting on 'transparency' from reserve governments was massively hypocritical considering that they ran the least transparent federal government in modern Canadian history.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please don't say hootsuite

A bunch of my classmates from UVic either went to Amazon, RIM, or Hootsuite lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Jesus Christ rim smh

At least they learned a thing or two about embedded systems coding.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Citing the AFN on corruption on reserves is like citing the NRA on gun violence in America. Shouting "That's racist, that's racist, you are a racist" to every suggestion that chiefs or band councils aren't serving their people's best interest, and impossible to take seriously in the face of stories like the 800,000 bonus awarded to the chief of a 80 person first nation for "economic development" the same year as a major land deal with the BC government. A bonus that would not have been made public were it not for the Transparency Act (which is far from perfect, I agree).

This is an example of why this act is broken though. This is straight up not my business or problem. It's revenue from a land deal and an agreement between the band and a guy who may or may not have actually deserved that much money. It's not even government funding, so the normal bullshit excuse about why I should know about it doesn't exist.

This should be disclosed to the band, and likely was. The transparency act has never been about that. There's no reason this is the general public's business.

For all I know, he did something to deserve a commission. On the other hand, he might be a theiving bastard. I don't have enough information to know either way and it's not my place to be mad about it unless the 80 people it actually effects want something done about it.

He wasn't the one who put the clause in the contract and his community re-elected him pretty convincingly... So, why should I be concerned about it?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/kwikwetlem-chief-ron-giesbrecht-re-elected-despite-million-dollar-payday-1.3020653

Edit: not that it isn't distasteful... But no more than anything else involving huge sums of money.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 2, 2015

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

I bet that's the only anecdote you have. Yet you still feel like it's not racist to use that to generalize about 617 diverse community governments.

Sure there are incidents of corruption in reserve governments, as there are in the federal government and provincial governments and municipal governments. But I certainly wouldn't say all municipal governments are corrupt and you shouldn't say that all first nations governments are corrupt. Nor should you say that corruption is the cause of poverty, cause it's not. The cause is underfunding.

Also the AFN is not like the NRA. Strange thing to say. Are you perhaps saying that the AFN is corrupt? Surely you have evidence of this corruption. Evidence that the government of Canada hasn't found in the 60 000 annual reports they collectively file.

E: also what subcrid said. Canadian politicians don't have to disclose their personal wealth so why should First nations have to? What's Paul Martin's wealth and where does it come from? Harper?

Duck Rodgers fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 2, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jesus Christ rim smh

At least they learned a thing or two about embedded systems coding.
RIM was constantly having little hiring fairs and info sessions on campus, and they were very involved in the co-op program so a lot of otherwise smart people got sucked into their vortex.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
StatsCan says that in 2011 there were over 600 First Nations bands and 3,100 reserves across Canada.

So yeah, keep naming cases of corruption, until you get into the double digits you're probably talking about somewhere in the region of 1%.

For comparison, an internal study of the RCMP from 1995 to 2005 found 322 incidents of corruption by RCMP officers andTransparency International in 2011 said that Canada had the worst record for corruption and bribery in the G7 and one of the worst in the developed world.

So clearly what we should do is get the RCMP to investigate rampant First Nations corruption.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

This is amazing thank you.

lol man that would be a wicked event to go to please. the canadian taxpayers federation isn't an alberta only organization, you know the group that put this on if you read the article, so you're bringing up all albertans being so crazy we make rob ford look good when there was a handful of people at this "sold out" event.

The hate for Alberta is hilarious you should look into your mirror friend :)

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 2, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
While we're on the subject...

quote:

Financiers are required by law to scrutinise politically exposed persons and their financial transactions more carefully, confirm sources of funds and report transactions to the government when those transactions are suspicious or have no legitimate business purpose. In the MUHC P3 infrastructure case, a number of red flags were present including that $22m was wired to an offshore tax haven to a company with a beneficial ownership structure for no legal purpose.

According to several studies, 30 percent of P3 procurements involve some form of bribery. With respect to infrastructure, estimates of financial losses from bribery are estimated to be 5 to 20 percent of the value of publicly funded projects, although the American Society of Civil Engineers in one study estimated the cost of corruption to be 10 to 30 percent of investment in infrastructure.

http://www.financierworldwide.com/infrastructure-funding-and-corruption-in-canada/#.Vl5RmXarS71

But our governments have such great ground to stand on when accusing First Nations of corruption.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

vyelkin posted:

StatsCan says that in 2011 there were over 600 First Nations bands and 3,100 reserves across Canada.

So yeah, keep naming cases of corruption, until you get into the double digits you're probably talking about somewhere in the region of 1%.

For comparison, an internal study of the RCMP from 1995 to 2005 found 322 incidents of corruption by RCMP officers andTransparency International in 2011 said that Canada had the worst record for corruption and bribery in the G7 and one of the worst in the developed world.

So clearly what we should do is get the RCMP to investigate rampant First Nations corruption.

I wonder how much of that is accounted for by SNC-Lavalin and the Canadian mining industry.

See also: Angry Old White Conservative Dude yelling about reporters cheating on their taxes.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

vyelkin posted:

While we're on the subject...

But our governments have such great ground to stand on when accusing First Nations of corruption.

Yes, it would be a racist double standard to assert that corruption on the part of the RCMP is acceptable but those on the part of First Nations band governments is not.

I'd like to remind everybody that Facebook the CTV News website still exist, there are no shortage of racist arguments online that you can criticize without having to project them onto other posters here.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You guys are going to need to step up your shitposting game with CI on the sidelines for a week. Melian, I'm going to need you to take the morning shift. Ikantski you're on spot duty, and someone see if they can get hold of HAL to get him out of retirement.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Scaramouche posted:

You guys are going to need to step up your shitposting game with CI on the sidelines for a week. Melian, I'm going to need you to take the morning shift. Ikantski you're on spot duty, and someone see if they can get hold of HAL to get him out of retirement.

I've got the race hate covered apparently.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Quick, tell us your race so you can be racist safely.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

Be more concise: Canadian Politics Megathread: Canadians are human garbage

We should split it up appropriately, like so

Canada Debt Bubble: I'm kinda jacking off at the prospect of you being financially ruined tbh

Canadian Politics Megathread: Canadians are human garbage

I really feel the canpol title is more of a public service message, warning any oblivious traveller that the veneer of Canadian civility and tolerance is paper thin

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Kafka Esq. posted:

Quick, tell us your race so you can be racist safely.

White as the pure driven Ontario snow, falling gently onto the most WASPy of Toronto suburbs, Kafka Esq. To excuse my racism need point only to the many black childhood friends I would have, hypothetically, if I had gone to school in a place where there were any.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/john-tory-climate-change-1.3344470

quote:

Toronto mayor John Tory emphatically declared that Toronto will continue to invest in public transit to help fight climate change.

"Build more public transit," Tory replied when asked by CBC News Network's Power & Politics guest host Hannah Thibedeau if there's one commitment the city is prepared to make to battle climate change. "What we need is to get people out of cars and offer them a viable transit system."

Crush car culture.

overboard
Aug 26, 2009

You're talking about The Aboriginal Corruption Problem with no data. Your defence is that it hasn't been disproven. You think the APTN is complicit in this corruption, or is at least actively covering it up using bad data. It's not a leap to think you're falling for racist bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Coolwhoami posted:

If you're taking 320, that's the one. Talk in class, and don't be afraid to argue with him, he seems a lot angrier than he actually is.

Oh right that Pearce. He's retired now and the guy they have teaching 320 in his place is a tool. Never got to take any classes with him.