Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Anyone remember ye olde i Bootis system?

This is on Dustball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how I get OpenTrack working in Beta?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
What do the import/export commodities listed on the system map station info panel mean? Do those just have particularly high/low prices? Like more than the usual price disparities for the different economy types?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

super fart shooter posted:

What do the import/export commodities listed on the system map station info panel mean? Do those just have particularly high/low prices? Like more than the usual price disparities for the different economy types?

In addition can anyone explain what buying trade data from a system for 100cr means? It's just the colored arrow lines that show up on the map, right? I've been trying to make cash by picking up a commodity in high supply that's exported to a nearby system when I can't find a bulletin board mission but the profit margin is usually disgustingly low.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, it fills in your map. Unless you've recently visited a system or bought trade data, the coloured lines won't be even remotely accurate.

Also in a surprisingly well hidden feature, you can check import/export prices of goods in the systems you have trade data on from the commodities market screen. Try clicking the "galactic average" tab.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Mercurius posted:

I like it a lot (especially the massively better pitch in supercruise compared to the Anaconda) but I'm still not buying it until I can get C4 beams or autos.

Is this a thing that is confirmed happening? I started playing about a month ago and haven't seen in mention of it in fairly casual searches. I would very much like to load gigantic autocannons onto the back of a corvette and zip around.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Vahalla posted:

Is this a thing that is confirmed happening? I started playing about a month ago and haven't seen in mention of it in fairly casual searches. I would very much like to load gigantic autocannons onto the back of a corvette and zip around.
They've made noises about additional weapons through crafting and a C4 Heavy Beam Laser was datamined from the game files but there hasn't been anything official, no.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, it fills in your map. Unless you've recently visited a system or bought trade data, the coloured lines won't be even remotely accurate.

Also in a surprisingly well hidden feature, you can check import/export prices of goods in the systems you have trade data on from the commodities market screen. Try clicking the "galactic average" tab.

See, I actually knew this, but it shows up regardless of whether or not I buy trade data, so I was really confused.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Arach posted:

Anyone know how I get OpenTrack working in Beta?
I had issues when 1.4 was released. Make sure you're using the most current version and it's installed to the default Program Files location.

I finally bought a real TrackIR though so if this is some new issue then I dunno.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

See, I actually knew this, but it shows up regardless of whether or not I buy trade data, so I was really confused.
Yeah, visiting a system updates your data the same as buying it (not sure if you have to dock or not though).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
All cannon Corvette

http://gfycat.com/AmusedHarshFurseal

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Are those your feet and toes at the bottom of that gif? Is the Corvette's pilot's seat a recliner?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I was attacking bases earlier with a laser/cannon Python and it was like being a space helicopter.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Zaardvark posted:

Are those your feet and toes at the bottom of that gif? Is the Corvette's pilot's seat a recliner?
Very wide FOV + he's looking down a bit.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
Operation Last Dance (for the Viper MkIII) begins the journey toward the core.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You're taking a Viper to Sag A*?

You truly are Space Mad.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Operation Last Dance (for the Viper MkIII) begins the journey toward the core.

Hold on, are you flying it into Sag A* to replace it with the new one?

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You truly are Space Mad.

http://www.twitch.tv/coyotic/b/683103865

I claim no motivation but vodka.

magic mountain posted:

Hold on, are you flying it into Sag A* to replace it with the new one?

I intend to bring it back and place it upon a plinth.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

For combat ship progression, what follows the Vulture that isn't locked behind rank? I'd like a Federal Assault Ship, but drat getting your rep up is some slow going poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Python or FDL I guess.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Capn Beeb posted:

For combat ship progression, what follows the Vulture that isn't locked behind rank? I'd like a Federal Assault Ship, but drat getting your rep up is some slow going poo poo.
In some ways, the Vulture is the peak. If you're purely going for more firepower, you're looking at the Fer-de-Lance or the Python.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are potato moons in yet or non-spherical objects? Haven't seen any pictures from the beta.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Whats a good weapon set for a Python and can I fit out a decent multi-role one for about 130-140million?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

AndyElusive posted:

These are questions I wonder myself as well since I'm a fellow newbie to the world of Elite: Dangerous. This thread seems to be just for the veterans though so I'm wondering if there's a good website or something that can help answer questions like this and others that I might have as someone starting out and who just upgraded to an Adder.

As someone else suggested, come join us on IRC! We're glad to answer any questions.

Don't be afraid to ask here, either. The game has a lot of arcane knowledge we've accumulated that we're glad to share.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

In some ways, the Vulture is the peak. If you're purely going for more firepower, you're looking at the Fer-de-Lance or the Python.

I'm kinda hoping they eventually add a Vulture MkII with a hardpoint for a missile launcher and another internal slot. :allears: I love this ship so much.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Helter Skelter posted:

Yeah, that's kinda the feeling I've been getting. I just want one more hardpoint :argh:

Arrath posted:

I'm kinda hoping they eventually add a Vulture MkII with a hardpoint for a missile launcher and another internal slot. :allears: I love this ship so much.

This would be nice. I love missiles, but drat I wish you could carry more in reserve.

Are shield bank cells worth it in the Vulture? I've got an A and B shield generator on, going with a pair of As put me over my power threshold by .10MW so I probably don't have enough wiggle room to squeeze one in anyway :v:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Whats a good weapon set for a Python and can I fit out a decent multi-role one for about 130-140million?
I'm currently running large pulses in mine. Beams are good too, but they drain the cap quick and you have to watch your heat. I've currently got a couple PACs in the medium slots, but multicannons are a good choice as well.

130-140 million will do you very nicely. If you're doing cargo runs, feel free to drop the shield down to a size 3 for more hauling capacity.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 2, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ugh, well that's what the beta is for, I suppose.

I filed a bug report about this.

Now let's hope Frontier isn't going: "Uhhh, mines have antigravity-generators in them, didn't you know? :smug:" :v:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Libluini posted:

Ugh, well that's what the beta is for, I suppose.

I filed a bug report about this.

Now let's hope Frontier isn't going: "Uhhh, mines have antigravity-generators in them, didn't you know? :smug:" :v:

Someone on the brown sea will definately say that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Helter Skelter posted:

130-140 million will do you very nicely. If you're doing cargo runs, feel free to drop the shield down to a size 3 for more hauling capacity.
This is just my opinion, but for anyone following build guides like this it's important to remember you don't have to immediately fill a ship with A class poo poo straight away.

You can knock a good 50 million off the price of that Python for example, without compromising its performance that much (you can save even more if you're willing to downgrade the power distributor). A class equipment is like the latest greatest graphics card, sure it's the absolute best, but you're paying a premium to be on that bleeding edge. The only things I'd personally say you need to upgrade straight away are the hyperdrive (because of your sanity), and power distributor (because it easily gives the most bang for your buck).

If a ship is a better fit for what you want to do, you don't have to wait until you can afford an A class fit is what I'm trying to say.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 2, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Approached Kingsbury Park on Goat 4's dayside when the ground suddenly turned dark. Weird texture glitch, I thought, except not! It was actually Goat 5 casting a shadow on the ground :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

This is just my opinion, but for anyone following build guides like this it's important to remember you don't have to immediately fill a ship with A class poo poo straight away.

You can knock a good 50 million off the price of that Python for example, without compromising its performance that much (you can save even more if you're willing to downgrade the power distributor). A class equipment is like the latest greatest graphics card, sure it's the absolute best, but you're paying a premium to be on that bleeding edge. The only things I'd personally say you need to upgrade straight away are the hyperdrive (because of your sanity), and power distributor (because it easily gives the most bang for your buck).

If a ship is a better fit for what you want to do, you don't have to wait until you can afford an A class fit is what I'm trying to say.

Another thing is, nothing forces you to take always the largest A-class equipment possible. The Explo-Python I linked earlier for example has a A-class powerplant downgraded several sizes. It still gives enough power for weapons and poo poo and you get the heat dissipation bonus of an A-class plant. But you save an ungodly amount of money because the A-class is several classes smaller then what would normally go into that slot. :v:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Lima posted:

Someone on the brown sea will definately say that.

Bonus points if it's one of the same people that say elite doesn't have artificial gravity.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Planets are cool!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Libluini posted:

Another thing is, nothing forces you to take always the largest A-class equipment possible. The Explo-Python I linked earlier for example has a A-class powerplant downgraded several sizes. It still gives enough power for weapons and poo poo and you get the heat dissipation bonus of an A-class plant. But you save an ungodly amount of money because the A-class is several classes smaller then what would normally go into that slot. :v:
Yeah, in that fit I downgraded the power plant to a 5A. It could be done because the C rated shield generator and thrusters are a lot less power hungry, not to mention cannons vs plasma accelerators.

Astroniomix posted:

Bonus points if it's one of the same people that say elite doesn't have artificial gravity.
It doesn't though? That's one of the unique things about the setting.

In the end it's almost purely an aesthetic choice sure, but it does mean we get gigantic rotating space stations.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

Are potato moons in yet or non-spherical objects? Haven't seen any pictures from the beta.

Not yet. I'd love to see a Hyperion kinda moon :3:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, in that fit I downgraded the power plant to a 5A. It could be done because the C rated shield generator and thrusters are a lot less power hungry, not to mention cannons vs plasma accelerators.
It doesn't though? That's one of the unique things about the setting.

In the end it's almost purely an aesthetic choice sure, but it does mean we get gigantic rotating space stations.

Yes, in lore artificial gravity was never invented in the elite universe. IIRC even supercruise is a fairly "recent" creation.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Ok so the Federal Assault Ship looks cool and looks like it does well according to what I've read. I also definitely want to go orbit around earth and one of the first things on my to-do list when Horizons launches is going to be landing on the moon and finding the moon lander for a sweet photo-op.

So my current short term goal is a permit for Sol, and a long term goal is earning enough money to fly a FAS. That means I need ranks in federation reputation or whatever it's called. Since I started this game a couple weeks ago I've mostly done some community goals and the odd mission here and there.

So my newbish questions are: What's the fastest way to gain federation reputation, do regular missions anywhere in federation space count? How can I see where I am in terms of ranks? I have about 35 million in assets total I think? I'm flying around in an Asp Explorer at the moment, if that's relevant.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You truly are Space Mad.

Did someone say space mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

I claim no motivation but vodka.

That would do it!

• Locked thread