Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

savesthedayrocks posted:

Have you found a way for emby to have a guide? On kodi I have the hdhr add on, but the difference is that when I change channels it has a guide and picture of what's on now and next. That's the only thing keeping me back for now.

I think with the recent update, it breaks the kodi server if direct mapping isn't done.

Maybe it's an update that happened in the last 6 months, but Emby has always had a guide for me. A pretty nice one, too, that works across all supported devices, even mobile clients.

I am here to tell you, as a former long time Live TV user of XBMC (and MediaPortal before that) who finally gave it up over a year ago, that Emby's integration beats the poo poo out of anything Kodi has ever done with Live TV. From big stuff like quick channel changes (when direct streaming to devices that support it) to small quality of life stuff like the central metadata web interface also supporting live channels, so you can easily and centrally edit logos, etc (and it will auto-find most station logos anyway).

Are you thinking of the HDHR View app by any chance? That still doesn't have a guide, and the direction they are going with it isn't promising. Emby's native live tv supports the HDHR but isn't related to the app.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Popping in to ask a quick question about remotes.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Agree with Call Me Charlie: Flirc. I have them for all my boxes, they are exactly what you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
The other option in this age of ubiquitous smart-devices is to use a remote app on a phone/tablet to control Kodi. Yatse on Android is kinda amazing, and there are plenty of other great ones out there too. If you've got your phone within arm's reach all the time anyway, it's awesome. I've been seriously considering picking up a couple cheap tablets to leave around the house to use as remotes as well. Sure, it's not an actual remote with physical buttons. But can your remote provide an up to date listing of all the content you have loaded in Kodi and launch it directly?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

G-Prime posted:

The other option in this age of ubiquitous smart-devices is to use a remote app on a phone/tablet to control Kodi. Yatse on Android is kinda amazing, and there are plenty of other great ones out there too. If you've got your phone within arm's reach all the time anyway, it's awesome. I've been seriously considering picking up a couple cheap tablets to leave around the house to use as remotes as well. Sure, it's not an actual remote with physical buttons. But can your remote provide an up to date listing of all the content you have loaded in Kodi and launch it directly?

This might become more common - you could argue it's like when everyone but diehard Blackberry fans ditched physical keyboard on smartphones - but I still find myself only using phone remotes like Yatse as a backup, nice as they are. Physical buttons on remotes are much easier to use without looking - something no one worries about when typing texts, etc. - and in the dark, and in general are more "family/friends friendly" because anyone can pick up a TV remote, the simpler the better. For skipping, pausing, etc. physical buttons are hard to beat.

There's been a big trend towards super-simple remotes like the ATV, Fire TV, or Shield have. Kodi is even finally adding support for long-press in 16.x so remotes like that have more options.

Yatse, etc. are nice but too "busy" for casual use, I think, plus you have to launch the app and keep it running on your phone (notification drawer support has mitigated some of the PITA factor with the latter).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I love my Shield TV - switched from a nexus player. The only thing I want the Emby ATV client to get is refresh rate changing. I know Kodi can do this but my wife likes using the Emby ATV app.

I will usually launch programs with my phone/ipad because it is so much faster than using the remote. But the remote is a godsend for my in-laws and when I need to pause poo poo or whatever.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

kri kri posted:

I love my Shield TV - switched from a nexus player. The only thing I want the Emby ATV client to get is refresh rate changing. I know Kodi can do this but my wife likes using the Emby ATV app.

It's supposedly coming in a new build. Plex just added it and Kodi has had it since June or July. Hopefully Emby ATV will get it in the next month or two.

I am starting to prefer the Emby ATV client as well, refresh rate changing would pretty much seal it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Is there any way to customize the remote control for Emby the way you can with Kodi?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Ixian posted:

Maybe it's an update that happened in the last 6 months, but Emby has always had a guide for me. A pretty nice one, too, that works across all supported devices, even mobile clients.

I am here to tell you, as a former long time Live TV user of XBMC (and MediaPortal before that) who finally gave it up over a year ago, that Emby's integration beats the poo poo out of anything Kodi has ever done with Live TV. From big stuff like quick channel changes (when direct streaming to devices that support it) to small quality of life stuff like the central metadata web interface also supporting live channels, so you can easily and centrally edit logos, etc (and it will auto-find most station logos anyway).

Are you thinking of the HDHR View app by any chance? That still doesn't have a guide, and the direction they are going with it isn't promising. Emby's native live tv supports the HDHR but isn't related to the app.

That's it, I'm using the app for hdhr. So you're saying there's a native way to feed it through emby? If you have a link handy can you post it? I may have to start digging through the forums.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

That's it, I'm using the app for hdhr. So you're saying there's a native way to feed it through emby? If you have a link handy can you post it? I may have to start digging through the forums.

Look here

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Live%20TV

Their forums are pretty decent too.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

savesthedayrocks posted:

Yes, it's built in to the server - in fact newer HDHRs are the only tuners they support at the moment, and Schedules Direct for EPG grabbing - as well as most of the clients.

Interestingly one of the places you won't find it is integrated with the actual Kodi Live TV EPG - the Emby client is it's own thing (which you can access via the addon). I greatly prefer it over Kodi's, which has been stuck in some kind of weird half-life land for years now, but some people might sperg over it (meaning some people definitely sperg over it).

As mentioned, the primary reason I like it is it actually works.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Now that I've got an AppleTV I've decided to ditch Kodi and use my computer as a FileServer + Plex Server. The Plex app on AppleTV is great. I've got a test setup working with this now and the picture and sound quality appear to be really good despite the audio coming in as multi-channel on the receiver now instead of DTS/Dolby. Gonna format the computer and setup everything using Docker containers after the new year.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I switched from emby back to plex for across-internet streaming. Emby just would not work reliably with my setup. Plex seems to do a better job of buffering and streaming on lesser connection, at least in my situation.

Once these clients can convert 3D SBS formats back to normal 2D like kodi does, I'll be set.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
On the subject of android boxes - are there any good apps for streaming local content that aren't as heavy as Kodi?

I'm thinking of getting one for my parents to help them move into the digital age, but I think Kodi would be overkill.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Spekkio posted:

On the subject of android boxes - are there any good apps for streaming local content that aren't as heavy as Kodi?

I'm thinking of getting one for my parents to help them move into the digital age, but I think Kodi would be overkill.

Look into plex. A user interface that is more Netflix like than kodi. You can also use plex on Roku boxes, the fire tv, Chromecast, consoles, and Apple TV. My mom uses plex and she is about as non tech savvy as you can get.

Edit: Plex thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Spekkio posted:

Kodi is pretty simple once you skin it and change some of the settings (pressing back on the remote exits video, video goes directly to local files, put select add-ons on the front page, etc)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Plex and Emby are both good if you get a half decent Android TV box (as discussed above, the Shield if you want to spend a little more and get the best performance (and these days comes with a nice, simple remote), with the Nexus Player as a good go-to budget option - avoid knockoff off-brand boxes at all costs, these days). However they both require a server backend that won't run well (or at all) on the Android TV itself.

That means you could end up with more setup, etc. that you want to deal with for a parents-type box.

I agree with Call Me Charlie that Kodi is a great all in one solution for this kind of scenario that if set up beforehand can be just as simple to operate. And you can just attach local storage, like a USB hard drive, to either the Shield or the Nexus and have Kodi play the files right off it - both boxes are powerful enough to handle just about any type of content.

I'd recommend using a skin like Arctic Zephyr - if you configure it to use a vertical instead of the default horizontal home screen and disable/enable the menu options you need you can get it looking a lot like Plex, Emby, or many other more familiar streaming clients (FireTV, Netflix, etc.). Zephyr also lets you create shortcuts and favorite menus, which you can use to add in Android TV apps like Netflix, HBO Go, and so on. Basically you can set it up as the interface for the entire Android TV if you want.

The Shield (which I believe is still on sale for $150 now, with remote) is faster and comes with a nice, simple to use remote that works well with Kodi, though it lacks buttons for some options. Kodi 16 will add long-press support which should correct most of that and in any case it sounds like you want it to be as simple as possible, which it is - it's about as easy as a Fire/Apple TV remote. Also comes with a headphone jack which is nice.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
There's also VLC and MX Player for Android TV.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've been messing around with the Titan skin and I think I'm going to switch to it from Eminence. I've got it setup pretty simplified for the family:

In other news, I made a dedicated Emby thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753964

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I just use Confluence on my five Kodi devices. I can't be bothered to manually gently caress with them all to change to a different skin, unless there's some way to sync skins and settings that I'm not familiar with.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wolfbiker posted:

I just use Confluence on my five Kodi devices. I can't be bothered to manually gently caress with them all to change to a different skin, unless there's some way to sync skins and settings that I'm not familiar with.

Last time I asked, the answer was "kinda, but you still need to tweak a bunch of things".

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

Most of the top skins now (Juril's for sure) allow you to export/import settings, which is exactly how I get around this problem.

Uthor posted:

Last time I asked, the answer was "kinda, but you still need to tweak a bunch of things".

The stuff you have to tweak is generally not skin-specific when importing.

Let's face it, Kodi is a tweak-a-thon overall. When setting it up there's always a dozen things to gently caress around with. That makes it really flexible but something of a PITA if you have a lot of boxes or change things often.

Plex and Emby are the set it and forget it options for clients.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 1, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ixian posted:

The stuff you have to tweak is generally not skin-specific when importing.

I am using Aeon Nox and, granted, my Kodi install is a couple updates behind. But when I imported the skin settings, I still had to do things like reorder/show/hide main menu option (ie, Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc) and adjust the views within each of those sections. It barely saved me any work.

If things are getting better, that's great. I mainly just run on one device and don't feel the need to update anytime soon, so it's good enough for me.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

I am using Aeon Nox and, granted, my Kodi install is a couple updates behind. But when I imported the skin settings, I still had to do things like reorder/show/hide main menu option (ie, Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc) and adjust the views within each of those sections. It barely saved me any work.

If things are getting better, that's great. I mainly just run on one device and don't feel the need to update anytime soon, so it's good enough for me.

I think things have improved because last import I did had my views and such. Some stuff is still tied to Kodi options, though, which won't import.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm considering junking my Win7 box and jumping ship to something simpler (?) like a Nvidia Shield. Couple of quick questions:

- Anyone know if it supports Lightpak?
- I'm used to using EventGhost to program buttons on my remote, which is a Harmony-like thing. How would that work on the new box?
- I think I have my sources setup via mapped drives, will this gently caress me up trying to import/export my library?
- What's the point of the 500gb version? All of my media will be stored on a server, so nothing would be local. If I start filling up the 16gb with apps/games, does it support external HDDs?
- Does it have other streaming stuff like Netflix, HBOGO, Amazon, etc?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EC posted:

I'm considering junking my Win7 box and jumping ship to something simpler (?) like a Nvidia Shield. Couple of quick questions:

- I'm used to using EventGhost to program buttons on my remote, which is a Harmony-like thing. How would that work on the new box?
- I think I have my sources setup via mapped drives, will this gently caress me up trying to import/export my library?
- What's the point of the 500gb version? All of my media will be stored on a server, so nothing would be local. If I start filling up the 16gb with apps/games, does it support external HDDs?

1) The Shield runs Android TV, next to the actual Nexus player the most "stock" version of it. It's even easy to root. I don't know the answer to your lightpak question but if it works with Android TV then it'll probably work on the Shield.

2) The Shield has an IR receiver as well as support for Bluetooth remotes (it's own remote is BT). In Kodi you can use the Keymap addon to take your existing remote commands and re-map them. Outside of Kodi I have no idea, there's no EventGhost equivalent for Android TV I am aware of but someone else may know if you are dependent on that.

Most people use the Shield remote or a Harmony (the Harmony supports the Shield remote commands and can also work with Kodi). Flirc dongle works too. Remotes are pretty easy with this thing overall.

3) No it won't gently caress anything up Kodi works like it does anywhere else.

4) There's no real point if you are using it for media streaming off external sources. Yes it supports external storage. EDIT: I don't know if the Shield is using a Marshmallow/6.0 based Android TV yet (the Nexus Player does) and I am unsure therefore if it supports the "seamless" external storage option that the former brings to the table. That means you might be able to store content on external storage but not easily store apps there at this time. Haven't tried it and in any case I imagine it's something coming sooner or later since 6.0 supports it.

5) It has most streaming services except Amazon, which is because of Amazon. HBO Go, Netflix, etc. are present and actually work great. Netflix supports 4k and 5.1 audio on the Shield.

As I never tire of complaining about, Amazon's Prime Video omission from all Android TV devices except the ones they decided to strike deals with is stupid.

I have a Sony XBR 850c that runs Android TV and includes Prime Video - it works great with a remote, and even supports HDR/4k content from Prime, one of the very few devices you can do that with Prime Video on today. There's absolutely no reason this couldn't be on the Shield and in fact many people got it to work last summer by pulling the apk off the TV - and then Amazon blocked it, server side. Did a good job too because no one has gotten around it since.

Today, if you want an Android TV device that supports the most streaming services - Prime, also Crackle and Vudo - you actually need to buy an entire Sony TV. Which don't get me wrong are fantastic TVs and do a not half-bad job running Android TV (the Shield is better) but is just loving dumb.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 2, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
People hate when I say this but you should really have two devices to cover the gaps in services. You can get a secondary one for dirt cheap.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm ok with Amazon missing because we don't use it that much and I can always switch to the 360, WiiU, or PS4 for it if I need to.

Thanks Ixian! I'll look around for LightPak stuff (or just email the manufacturer) and see what I can come up with. There's a Kodi add-on for it that should work anywhere, but I want to double check.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Call Me Charlie posted:

People hate when I say this but you should really have two devices to cover the gaps in services. You can get a secondary one for dirt cheap.

Are there services missing from the FireTV?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yes, the Google ones.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

kri kri posted:

Yes, the Google ones.

Ah, I knew there was a big one, but I couldn't think of it for some reason.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

EC posted:

Don't know
Figuring that out myself
Probably
Uses external drives and has micro SD slot. Just put a big one in.
Netflix is preinstalled. Amazon is not on yet (ever?) Don't know about HBO but others on the play store are there.

Not much help I know but I'm still figuring it out. Does anyone know of an android app that can be used to receive it remote info? My harmony works great but I could use the ability to add a couple of extra buttons such as information in kodi. You can buy a flirc but surely there is an app like flirc?

Just to be clear. I'm looking for something like eventghost. It will read signals from the IR reciever and that pass it to kodi. I then assign the letter I to my harmony info button. Other than that the remote does all I need.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 2, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You can just edit the keymap file for tweaking the remote. You can change any action to a different action this way. I'm not sure about the Shield but the FireTV remote has a pitiful amount of buttons for example and the Harmony only lets you bind those ones alone with the default Watch FireTV activity. So you just change your keymap to do different things depending on context, essentially sending the same inputs but doing different stuff if you're playing a video or whatever.

Or you can get a flirc but I never use mine since it takes about one minute to change the keymap/remote file and push it to an Android box.

This kodi wiki page has a bunch of prefabs you can use if you don't want to get too into it. They would be easily adapted to the Shield I'm sure.

This is just a dumb example keyboard.xml file I put together and I'm sure its not optimal but it does what I want. Outside of a Full Screen Video, the Fast Forward input from the Harmony will make Kodi do a Page Up. That's what the section in Global is for. You can also override it by context. Below that you'll see I have it just Fast Forward as normal when a video is playing (FullScreenVideo). To use your example of the Info thing, I did something similar using the Skip Forward input from the FireTV.

The FireTV also only gives you one real "Back" input to work with in Kodi and its limited. So in the keymap file I have it do different things depending on what is going on. In a video? It toggles fullscreen. In a menu? It goes back to the previous menu. In the textinput window it will just send the Close command. I also don't like the lack of a "stop button" so I have that emulated as well.

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>

<global>
    <keyboard>
	  <rewind>PageDown</rewind>
      <fastforward>PageUp</fastforward>
    <next_track>Info</next_track>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
	  <menu>ShowSubtitles</menu>
      <backspace>Stop</backspace>
      <browser_back>Stop</browser_back>
	  <rewind>Rewind</rewind>
      <fastforward>FastForward</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
  <VideoMenu>
    <keyboard>
	  <rewind>Rewind</rewind>
      <fastforward>FastForward</fastforward>
      <backspace>Stop</backspace>
      <browser_back>Stop</browser_back>
    </keyboard>
  </VideoMenu>
  <VideoOSD>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>CodecInfo</menu>
    </keyboard>
  </VideoOSD>
  <virtualkeyboard>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>shift</menu>
      <play_pause>enter</play_pause>
      <rewind>backspace</rewind>
      <fastforward>number0</fastforward>
      <browser_back>PreviousMenu</browser_back>
      <backspace>PreviousMenu</backspace>
    </keyboard>
  </virtualkeyboard>
  <Visualisation>
    <keyboard>
      <browser_back>Fullscreen</browser_back>
    </keyboard>
  </Visualisation>
  <Favourites>
    <keyboard>
      <browser_back>close</browser_back>
    </keyboard>
  </Favourites>
  <NumericInput>
    <keyboard>
      <browser_back>Close</browser_back>
    </keyboard>
  </NumericInput>
    <keyboard>
      <browser_back>Close</browser_back>
    </keyboard>

</keymap>

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 2, 2015

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Been fiddleng and the only uttons on my harmony that don't do want I want is channel uo and down and info. The up and downs work as up and down and info makes a down command.

If I could read the codes I could see if each command was different and then use keymap to change one to info and I'm happy.

Edit:Harmony is showing that there are numeric buttons assigned. I'm going to edit the keymap and change I for 9 then assign the shield 9 to the harmony info button. All being well that will do what I want.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 2, 2015

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
There's a Keymap addon in the official Kodi repo under Services that makes mapping buttons to commands dead easy (as a bonus it will also tell you the IR command being sent).

As long as the buttons on your Harmony - or any remote - are configured to send a unique IR code then all you do is run the addon, pick the Kodi commands you want to map - it has them all - click edit, and click the button. Bam. Then save and it creates your keymap.xml file for you. Beats the poo poo out of doing it by hand.

Note this doesn't help with remote commands outside of Kodi, with, for example, the Shield/Android TV apps. However in the case of the Harmony you can just set the buttons to use the Shield - it's one of the devices options for Harmony - and then map those IR commands inside Kodi to whatever you want. That way your remote will do the same thing for the same buttons (or at least the important ones) both in Kodi and in other apps like Netflix, etc.

You can do the same thing with the official Shield remote, since it works via BT and IR at the same time. This remote doesn't have many buttons, which is good and bad - good because anyone can pick it up, bad because outside of basic playback and navigation you won't have much left for Kodi commands. Kodi 16 is adding "long press" support to commands which will help with this somewhat.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Beyond Google, it's also missing Vudu and a few other niche services. Sometimes you can sideload the normal android version but it's much easier to just have a second streaming box like the Roku to work with it (or a smart tv)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
How did I never know bout this Keymapping add-on?! Christ.

Thanks for the answers everyone. Looks like I'm going to pick one of these up for Christmas.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'll have to check out that addon too, drat it I've been doing this by hand for ages :(

Will it let me bind the same thing to different context IDs? If so then I'll use it for all future installs.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Not sure what changed but the Ace skin now works with nexus player and kodi 15.2
Once the skin is installed you should go to add-ons and disable the extended info addon.

https://github.com/muCkk/skin.ace/archive/master.zip

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Anybody know how the Kodi new Apple TV port is going? I'm tempted to just buy another Amazon Fire TV and sideload it, but the Amazon Fire TV always stutters when I use Netflix.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Anybody know how the Kodi new Apple TV port is going? I'm tempted to just buy another Amazon Fire TV and sideload it, but the Amazon Fire TV always stutters when I use Netflix.

Have you tried the nexus player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

Have you tried the nexus player?

If he likes Prime Video as well the Apple TV/Fire TV are the only choices other than certain Sony and Samsung TVs that run Android TV (Amazon has confirmed they are working on a Prime Video app for the new ATV4).